Making Ceremony Held By Angelo Bruno At Wedding

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Re: Making Ceremony Held By Angelo Bruno At Wedding

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:33 pm More info with the "Tony" reference in mind:

- An informant said he had seen Tony Riela with Vincenzo and Philip Mangano in the 1940s. However he thought the Manganos were murdered around 1946 so his timeline is off. Same informant said Settimo Accardi and Phil Mangano were compari.

- Riela told the FBI he had lived with Vincenzo Troia in Newark between 1931 and 1935.

- Riela and former Newark boss Stefano Badami also lived together for many years later on, even moving to different apartments together. They were also partners in the lumber business.

- I can't confirm any visits Riela made to Italy in the late 1930s but he did visit his wife and son there in 1946. They followed him to NJ in 1948.

- Riela did however spend time back in Rockford in 1937. He was suspected of being involved in a murder there at the end of the year. Seems likely Riela laid low in Rockford after the Newark Family conflict came to a head.

- Later became a business partner of Joe and Bill Bonanno. Also attended Apalachin as a member of the Bonanno Family.

He does come across as someone who could have been boss for a time, whatever the duration. We can't assume the Philly members got the story exactly right either, i.e. maybe he didn't flee to Italy in the immediate aftermath of the Newark break-up but went to Rockford and then visited Italy later which is what the records show.
I was unaware that Riela allegedly spent time in Rockford in 1937- where did this info come from? The murder I imagine they thought he was involved in was the December 1937 murder of bookie Charles Kalb.
It was determined through hotel records that Riela was staying at the Nelson Hotel in Rockford from June 7, 1944 and checked out on June 16, 1944. I know they tried to say that Riela was involved in the June 22, 1944 murder of Henry Lacks, but Riela was out of town by that time. It would be absurd to think Riela was "imported" back to Rockford to kill Kalb in 1937- that, I think was the local authorities inability to solve the crime and pin it on him. I have to wonder why Riela was in Rockford in 1944 and will have to cross reference what was going on at the time to see.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, they linked him to the Kalb murder. My guess is he was back in the area and the connection was circumstantial rather than being a direct participant.

On the subject of Troia, as you know he used the alias Elia Costanza and he used that for the Newark bank account Riela allegedly took money from. There was a real guy named Elia Costanza from San Giuseppe Jato about a decade older than Troia who came to the US much earlier. I wonder if he knew him or simply stole the identity of a random paesan. Another alternative is that the man who came earlier was Troia too and 1925 wasn't the first time he came here.

The accounts of Riela's 2.5 years in Benld are interesting. He comes across like the boss of the Sicilian underworld based on people's recollections of him and was seen as a top figure in Benld's "Springfield faction" while sources said there was also a "St. Louis faction". I'm sure Frank Abbate/Agrusa was affiliated with the latter faction when he lived in Benld. I doubt there was a Family in Benld but interesting enough was even going on there for those perceptions to exist.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:27 pm Yep, they linked him to the Kalb murder. My guess is he was back in the area and the connection was circumstantial rather than being a direct participant.

On the subject of Troia, as you know he used the alias Elia Costanza and he used that for the Newark bank account Riela allegedly took money from. There was a real guy named Elia Costanza from San Giuseppe Jato about a decade older than Troia who came to the US much earlier. I wonder if he knew him or simply stole the identity of a random paesan. Another alternative is that the man who came earlier was Troia too and 1925 wasn't the first time he came here.

The accounts of Riela's 2.5 years in Benld are interesting. He comes across like the boss of the Sicilian underworld based on people's recollections of him and was seen as a top figure in Benld's "Springfield faction" while sources said there was also a "St. Louis faction". I'm sure Frank Abbate/Agrusa was affiliated with the latter faction when he lived in Benld. I doubt there was a Family in Benld but interesting enough was even going on there for those perceptions to exist.
Troia's mother was Rosalia Costanza so I'm sure that he used her maiden name as his alias or perhaps there was an Elia Costanza that was an uncle of his. Riela's connections to Springfield/Benld are indeed interesting and I'm wondering if more information on this topic is buried in FBI files relating to some Springfield LCN figures.
Where can I find the information that details Riela being in Rockford in 1937?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Going back to the Newark split, Angelo Bruno says Newark was cut up and lists the Families that got a piece, including his own. I think it's more likely he meant Philly ended up with a presence there rather than Philly absorbing former Newark members.

He says six Families ended up in Newark instead of one and the last one is just "the old guy". This is most likely Profaci who died earlier this same year and we have hard evidence the Colombo NJ crew had roots in the Newark Family.

The FBI initially thought it was Boiardo but as they say in the file, that is obviously not the case. The other possibility is Nick Delmore but the DeCavalcantes historically have had little presence in Newark, instead showing up in Elizabeth and southward. We also have multiple sources who place their existence long before the break-up of Newark and circumstantial evidence points to their origins being in Manhattan then gradually shifting to Elizabeth.

So yeah, I think the "old guy" is Profaci.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

cavita wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:38 pm
B. wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:27 pm Yep, they linked him to the Kalb murder. My guess is he was back in the area and the connection was circumstantial rather than being a direct participant.

Troia's mother was Rosalia Costanza so I'm sure that he used her maiden name as his alias or perhaps there was an Elia Costanza that was an uncle of his. Riela's connections to Springfield/Benld are indeed interesting and I'm wondering if more information on this topic is buried in FBI files relating to some Springfield LCN figures.
Where can I find the information that details Riela being in Rockford in 1937?
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:56 pm Does anyone have the DOB, DOD, or other records for Albie DeMarco? I've seen his name but didn't know he was in New Brunswick.
We have an informant stating on July 16th 1962 that Albert De Marco had died. There is a newspaper obit from July 14th 1962 for an Alfred De Marco. He's from Highland Park, over the river from New Brunswick, and according to the obit, once resided in Phil. His wife's obit is titled Mrs Albert De Marco.
Albert's gravestone and passport application have his name as Arthur/Arturo respectively.

-Born in 1900/1901. Gravestone states 1900, passport app states 1901.
-He immigrated in 1902/3 from Chieti, Abruzzo. Census states 1902, passport app states 1903.
-In a 1920 census he is residing in Philadelphia with Father Giustino "Gussie" De Marco, Mother Sabina "Sara" DeMarco and siblings.
-By 1940 he was residing in Highland Park (a 19 minute walk from Boss Joe Ida's home) where he stayed until his death in 1962.

So it seems Albert/Alfred/Arturo De Marco's dates are 1900/01-1962.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Excellent! Another Abruzzese.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Who was the 6th member of Philly’s North Jersey group?

Known members:

1) Anthony Caponigro

2) Dominick Dinorscio

3) Dominick “Louie” Luciano

4) Pasquale Martirano

5) Ralph Napoli

——————

- Ray Amato - Named as a member by Harold Konigsberg. I don’t think he was a member.

- Tony “TV” Verniero - Was listed as a member on several lists but some sources say that he wasn’t made because he was Jewish. If I have the right one (b. Apr 3 1911, Belleville, NJ) both his parents were Italian. If your family is Italian but Jewish, could you join?

-Tony Kiva - Could have been Verniero listed above
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I think Veniero might be the best bet
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Supposedly Phil Abramo of the DeCavalcantes is Jewish-Italian. The name definitely is.

Did anyone aside from Steve Lenehan under his online "Picasso" persona say Verniero couldn't be made because he was half Jewish? There is still a lot of NJ info that comes downstream of things he said on the Real Deal so I just want to make sure he isn't the only source.

His nickname "Tee-vee" is phonetically close to "Kiva" (ph). He was included as a member on a Congressional chart in 1983 when Scarfo was boss so it isn't just the 1960s FBI lists where he appears.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also to clarify something from early in the thread:

When the FBI reported that Scafidi had told them about some other "new members" including Dominic Rugnetta, he wasn't saying they had all been inducted with Rugnetta. The FBI was saying they had received a list of members who were newly identified to them. The list specifies that Rugnetta was made in a 1965 ceremony but doesn't say that for the others and Pete Casella (the cousin) for example was a longtime member who was taken off the shelf after a period of ten years for having talked too freely with his wife in the past (interestingly Cavita just posted a report that Rockford member Gulotta was shelved for similar reasons).
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B. wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 am
His nickname "Tee-vee" is phonetically close to "Kiva" (ph). He was included as a member on a Congressional chart in 1983 when Scarfo was boss so it isn't just the 1960s FBI lists where he appears.
Veniero was also listed as a dead member in the Pennsylvania Crime Commission 1990 report. I think that's quite a strong identification.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

I don’t think that Veniero was Jewish

Veniero’s parents were Christopher Veniero and Christina Malpede. Father was from Salerno and immigrated to the US in 1878.

His kids got married at St Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church in Belleville, NJ.

In Garden State Gangland, it says that he was Jewish but it also gets his birth year wrong so there could have been a confusion.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

chin_gigante wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:32 am
B. wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 am
Veniero was also listed as a dead member in the Pennsylvania Crime Commission 1990 report. I think that's quite a strong identification.
Was "Tee-vee" his nickname, his initials, or both?
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

He's also listed as a member in the 1980 Penn Crime Commission report and they include a small biography. I think Garden State Gangland may be wrong on the jewish part...