Michael D'Urso direct examination notes (Michael Coppola trial)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: Michael D'Urso direct examination notes (Michael Coppola trial)

Post by Ivan »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:38 pm This part literally had me laughing out loud. D’Urso gets beeped by some number he doesn’t know, calls it back, guy starts yelling at him, he doesn’t know who the fuck it is so he starts yelling back, soon they’re exchanging death threats. Oops, turns out it’s Frank Serpico and now they have to have a series of sit downs just to try and prevent D’Urso from getting whacked, leading D’Urso to flip. All because he decided to go into business with some dude named Zero.
Forgot to mention but another thing that makes the beeper thing even funnier is that one of the two guys involved was born in like 1917 and was doing this in his 80s in the 2000s. :lol:

After reading about this incident I can't help but suspect there are Genovese guys who were born in about 1938 doing similar fuckups with texting, smartphones, etc. in 2023.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Ivan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:37 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:38 pm This part literally had me laughing out loud. D’Urso gets beeped by some number he doesn’t know, calls it back, guy starts yelling at him, he doesn’t know who the fuck it is so he starts yelling back, soon they’re exchanging death threats. Oops, turns out it’s Frank Serpico and now they have to have a series of sit downs just to try and prevent D’Urso from getting whacked, leading D’Urso to flip. All because he decided to go into business with some dude named Zero.
Forgot to mention but another thing that makes the beeper thing even funnier is that one of the two guys involved was born in like 1917 and was doing this in his 80s in the 2000s. :lol:

After reading about this incident I can't help but suspect there are Genovese guys who were born in about 1938 doing similar fuckups with texting, smartphones, etc. in 2023.
I'm sure there have been other interesting "miscommunications" that we have yeat to hear of lol.

You'd think that Farby would want his guys to stand up for themselves when someone they don't know starts yelling at them on the phone. But, the root issue I assume is that D'Urso went and threw a beating on this Zero character without checking in first and making sure that he knew who the guy was with. D'Urso yells back on the phone, Farby wants to whack him. If D'Urso had instead asked who he was speaking to, then Farby would've wanted to kill him for questioning him lol.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:58 pm You'd think that Farby would want his guys to stand up for themselves when someone they don't know starts yelling at them on the phone. But, the root issue I assume is that D'Urso went and threw a beating on this Zero character without checking in first and making sure that he knew who the guy was with. D'Urso yells back on the phone, Farby wants to whack him. If D'Urso had instead asked who he was speaking to, then Farby would've wanted to kill him for questioning him lol.
As New Era noted in the post below, there's probably more to this than mafia phone etiquette. Seems like the powers that be strongly favored Polito, who seems very well-liked and is now a captain, and D'Urso had been playing with fire almost just by not dying and still being alive after being shot. (How disrespectful of him!)

It kind of raises the question about why the Genovese elder-vampires have always apparently favored Polito so much to the extent of making him and upping him to captain. Good earner, I guess?
newera_212 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:53 am I always thought that the Serpico yelling incident was just a plausible front reason to lodge a complaint against D'Urso, but the real reason was that people in the Genovese more important than the people that D'Urso was close to, sided with Carmine Polito. It's kind of amazing D'Urso wasn't just killed after the failed attempt on his life, and after he tried to retaliate when he was told not to.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If they already had it out for him they likely used the phone call as a justification.

We know they're willing to overlook errors in judgment by associates in other situations if it can be argued they didn't know better. Peter Zuccaro of the Bonannos once pulled a gun and punched Gambino member Tony Lee Guerrieri in a personal dispute when Guerrieri and Andy Ruggiano confronted Zuccaro after he beat up Guerrieri's nephew. However all was forgiven as Zuccaro's rabbi Frank Bonomo argued that Zuccaro didn't know Guerrieri was a made guy. Guerrieri accepted this explanation.
Blunts
Straightened out

Post by Blunts »

Ivan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:37 pm

That makes it even more hilarious. The carnage predictive texts must be causing with these older wiseguys these days. :lol:
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

newera_212 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:53 am One of the 'best' and most interesting breakdowns / testimonies in recent times posted here IMO. I think we kinda knew about a lot of this D'Urso stuff through articles, GL, etc. but there's some interesting little details in here.

Remember that full transcript of a convo between Thomas Cafaro and D'Urso taped at, I believe, the Parkside? Where did that come from? I'm wondering if there are any other convo transcripts out there that could be attained by us here...

I always thought that the Serpico yelling incident was just a plausible front reason to lodge a complaint against D'Urso, but the real reason was that people in the Genovese more important than the people that D'Urso was close to, sided with Carmine Polito. It's kind of amazing D'Urso wasn't just killed after the failed attempt on his life, and after he tried to retaliate when he was told not to.
https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20120105b14
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Wasnt Aparo knocked down becuse of D'Urso?
What he said (If I call you, dont come).
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

JD posted this on his blog some time ago

[Note: (UI) = Unintelligible]

D'Urso: You know who Vito's brother brought up? Ciro [Perrone]. He says, he says, uh, "I was with a guy Ciro my father was friends with from Howard Beach". He said, "I went down there he's got all kinds of antiques and shit." I said that was the guy my, Sammy was telling me about.

Aparo: (UI).

D: I says, you know, tell him, I says --

A: (UI) place.

D: Right. And, uh, said he was a good guy, he was friends uh, with the father --

A: Yeah, Ciro's a good, nice guy.

D: He's with us too?

A: Yeah. Captain.

D: There's so many fuckin guys --

A: Captain.

D: Skipper? All these guys and you never fuckin even know.

A: Yeah they made him a skipper. When they broke it up, Joey Ida and him. They gave him some guys and Joey Ida got some. They made him a skipper.

D: This was recently?

A: Well it was a while back when Jimmy got pinched.

D: Oh, so they, they took over them, then.

A: Yeah. Well --

D: Did Joey and Jimmy get along?

A: Yeah. But that was all Matty the Horse [Ianniello]'s crew. All of that. He was away. Jimmy had a half of it. Then Jimmy got used as part of the Family, Consigliere, whatever it was, you know, so he gave for his brother.

D: Right.

A: Then after when he got in trouble, Matty came back into the picture, and they broke it up, and they gave Ciro some. You know, so I don't know who's with who.

D: Bet you them crews are strong.

A: Well, they're --

D: They have (all their?) guys.

A: Yeah, but --

D: Shouldn't you be able to just replace guys soon as they die?

A: You're supposed to.

D: I mean you don't have to go --

A: You're supposed to. You're supposed to. That was the rule, that was the rule. This way, you always stay with your amount.

D: Right.

A: A guy dies you replace him. That was the rule. But they haven't done it.
Blunts
Straightened out

Post by Blunts »

Thanks for posting those Cheech.
jimmi_beans8
Straightened out

Post by jimmi_beans8 »

cafaro passed weeks after chin got sentenced, am i right?
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

jimmi_beans8 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:39 am cafaro passed weeks after chin got sentenced, am i right?
Yea didn’t he barely make it through his testimony cuz he was in such bad shape
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
jmack
Straightened out

Post by jmack »

jimmi_beans8 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:39 am cafaro passed weeks after chin got sentenced, am i right?
What was his cause of death?
Browniety86
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Browniety86 »

AntComello wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:53 am
Thought was Pete Savino that died shortly after his testimony?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

AntComello wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:53 am
This cafaro here is the son. Not a turncoat
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Vincent Cafaro died in 2004.

Capeci still has Thomas Cafaro as an associate as of last year.