Gasper Valenti testimony notes (Asaro Trial)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Gasper Valenti testimony notes (Asaro Trial)

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 pm Interesting that he included places like Connecticut and LV but didn't mention Florida.

Pogo
Yeah, it was in his testimony and was def not meant to be comprehensive, the prosecutor just asked generally where the Bonanno family operated and he casually rattled off these places and they moved on.

He specifically said "Queens, New York, Brooklyn" about NYC -- he may have meant Manhattan by "New York" but he didn't mention the Bronx.

Can you think of any members, associates, or activities in Connecticut? I know they had a made member in upstate NY, but I can't remember ever hearing about a Bonanno presence in CT so it's weird he would casually throw that out there, especially because it was a low-stakes question. The prosecutor was just trying to establish the Bonanno family's general geography.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

None off the top of my head. We know about the Patriarca, Gambino, Genovese and even the Colombos and DeCavalcante being active there in the past but this may be the first time I've even read about the Bonnanos being active in the area.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Same here. All I can figure is maybe someone from the Bronx faction had interests there, like we've seen in other families.
Makelaiusiwk
Straightened out

Post by Makelaiusiwk »

Damn, Eaton made Burke mad .
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Kinda glad this one got bumped. All of the notes/writeups have been fantastic, but I forgot about this one. I loved reading about how much of a scumbag this Valenti was. Lying about giving the money to the Spero crew was hilarious. Seems like a lot of money went through Vinny Asaro's hands too...Jesus.
Oc1878+
Associate

Post by Oc1878+ »

Asaro really is an OG seen it all going all the way back to the 60’s. Anyone know if the Asaro picked up on the lam by the RCMP outside of Montréal in the 60’s and out of the Bronx is related to Vinnie or just a coincidence?
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

The Joseph Asaro in Montreal was Vinny's uncle.
Oc1878+
Associate

Post by Oc1878+ »

Thanks, I assumed there had to be a relation somewhere but the Bronx threw me off as I associate the Asaro’s with that whole East NY/ Ozone Park/ Howard Beach area.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Valenti is a fascinating character in that he should have been killed at least 10 times over. Asaro was protecting him, sure, but actual members get clipped for less. A lot of these guys are degenerates, sure, but Valenti took being a POS to a true art form. The one photo of Valenti and Asaro seated together is like the original “Virgin vs Chad” meme.

Also, the dog story and the image of Vinnie Asaro literally jumping up and down in rage will never not be hilarious.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

moneyman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:57 pm Philip Navarra comes to mind as a Bonnano member with an active Facebook profile. He’s friends with Catalano relatives which is interesting.
Was made at 27 years old according go lcnbios. Must of done something or know someone to get made that young imo.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Navarra had many blood relatives who were important members in the Bonanno Family and Sicilian mafia. He's also related to Sal Catalano through marriage.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

I lived in Ridgewood for a few years.. you can see Navarra and Grimaldi names on a number of different billboards/businesses in the area.. the neighborhood is very gentrified now