Actual made guys in Youngstown/Mahoning Valley

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Actual made guys in Youngstown/Mahoning Valley

Post by Ivan »

Trying to come up with a list of mobsters in the Mahoning Valley who were actually made men. Off the top of my head, this is what I have, and much of this is probably wrong (especially precise family affiliations for the last few under Cleveland), so corrections are welcome and encouraged. "Possibly" means I don't know if they were made but I have seen them identified as such elsewhere.

Cleveland
Tony Dope Delsanter
Ronald Carrabia
Vince DeNiro (possibly)
Cadillac Charlie Cavallaro (possibly -- have also seen him ID'd as part of "The Calabrian Group" in a couple sources)
Jasper Aiello (possibly, but pretty unlikely IMO)

Pittsburgh
Joseph Naples
Jimmy Prato
Lenine Strollo
Sandy Naples (possibly)

Detroit
Frank Cammarano

Buffalo
Joseph DiCarlo

"The Calabrian Organization" (non-Cosa Nostra)
Paul Romeo
Dominick Mallamo
Rocco Martel
+20 (approx.) others
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Actual made guys in Youngstown/Mahoning Valley

Post by Eline2015 »

Mallamo and romeo are Pittsburgh members
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Eline2015 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:20 pm Mallamo and romeo are Pittsburgh members
thanks
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

- Cavallaro was originally a Pittsburgh member before transfering to the Gambinos for a time. There was a source who said he was Cleveland later but this source got a number of Family affiliations wrong and I suspect Cavallaro may have re-joined Pittsburgh. An informant reported that Cavallaro was called to a formal meeting by Pittsburgh capodecina Paul Romeo and all of the other attendees were with Pittsburgh. It was also reported that Pittsburgh member Dominick Mallamo was responsible for Cavallaro's interests after his murder. He was a Sicilian from Agrigento but Pittsburgh had a large number of Calabrians and Sicilians who coexisted in the Family.

- Cavallaro was also very close to Joseph Romano who appears to have been a Pittsburgh member in Youngstown with close ties to Sharon, where Pittsburgh member Sal Marino once lived and the two were in the same circle. Romano was from Altavilla Milicia and Marino was from Santa Flavia near Bagheria. Romano fled to Chicago after the attempt on his life.

- Jasper Aiello was made but it's not clear which Family. He was originally from St. Louis and Springfield, Illinois, where his Family was active in the local mafia. His family was from Terrasini and he was allegedly related to the Licavolis.

- Stefano and Filippo Zoccoli were powerful Pittsburgh members from Calabria who lived in Youngstown then Midland PA.

- Joe Pieri was a member of the Detroit or Cleveland Families while living in Youngstown before transferring back to Buffalo. A Magaddino wiretap suggests it might have been Detroit but he was close to Cleveland too.

- When Joe DiCarlo was in Youngstown he may have been a member of Detroit, Cleveland, or even the Colombos. He was identified as an alleged Colombo member after he moved to Florida, though, so that may have been later.

- Jimmy Lupo, Cleveland member who moved to Youngstown after the murder of his cousin Lorenzo Lupo who was a Lonardo capodecina.

- Paul Romeo as mentioned was a Pittsburgh capodecina from Calabria and his brother Mike and son Paul Jr. were identified as made.

- Charles Vizzini, affiliation unknown but likely either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. From Agrigento and previously lived in Detroit and Rochester.

- Nick Ditta was allegedly a "member" when he lived in Youngstown and later moved to Detroit where he was a member of that Family. Not sure who he was with earlier.

- Nick Tamburello was a likely made guy before he was deported. From Sambuca in Agrigento, not sure which Family. His brother Joe also lived in Youngstown for a time and was later identified as a Gambino member in Baltimore.

- Others identified as made in Youngstown were Albert Antonelli, Joseph Bardinello, Nick Barone, William Lantini, Calogero Malfitano. Not sure their affiliation but it looks like Malfitano was Cleveland and the others could be Pittsburgh.

--

Keep in mind the informant(s) who said there was a "Sicilian" and "Calabrian" organization was only partly right. There was a local Calabrian organization but its top members were made with Pittsburgh and the Sicilian group was a faction of members from different Families.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Eline2015 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:20 pm Mallamo and romeo are Pittsburgh members
All-in-all, I agree with the entire list. I believe Di Carlo aka."The Wolf"came to the area and opened The Jungle Inn, was a Detroit guy.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

FriendofHenry wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:28 am
All-in-all, I agree with the entire list. I believe Di Carlo aka."The Wolf"came to the area and opened The Jungle Inn, was a Detroit guy.
Joe Di Carlo was a Buffalo member https://buffalomob.com/
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

motorfab wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:39 am
Fair enough as I thought Detroit but I thought wrong. I'm reasonably sure we're talking about the same DiCarlo from The Jungle Inn, yes?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

FriendofHenry wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:58 am
motorfab wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:39 am
Fair enough as I thought Detroit but I thought wrong. I'm reasonably sure we're talking about the same DiCarlo from The Jungle Inn, yes?
Yes, indeed it's him :)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He was originally made with Buffalo but he and some of his allies transferred when they left Buffalo then DiCarlo and Joe Pieri transferred back in the late 1960s. Peanuts Tronolone transferred from Buffalo to Cleveland and stayed with them.

There's a wiretap of Magaddino and Sam Pieri where Magaddino says they have to contact Joe Pieri's rappresentante in order to meet or work with him. Sam Pieri also mentions having to meet with "Pete" in Detroit in connection with visiting his brother which indicates Joe Pieri may have been a Detroit member at the time.

DiCarlo was close to Cleveland members and related to the Lupos but he was also very close to Detroit and said to have been supported financially by Joe Massei so I'm sure he was with one of those two Families when he lived in Ohio. I don't know the source who identified him as a Colombo member in 1967 but his brother-in-law was influential Colombo member Tony Bonasera so it's not random.

I don't think any of the ex-Buffalo guys were still Buffalo members when they lived in Ohio.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Here is a chart the youngstown PD made
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Holy crap guys this is great stuff. Thanks for going above and beyond. I have to work like 16 hours today but I'll check back in as soon as everything settles down with work.
B. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:21 am - Jasper Aiello was made but it's not clear which Family. He was originally from St. Louis and Springfield, Illinois, where his Family was active in the local mafia. His family was from Terrasini and he was allegedly related to the Licavolis.
So this is the like the 15th time an "independent Italian racketeer" turns out to be made. :lol: Thanks B.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Jasper Aiello was made but it's not clear which Family. He was originally from St. Louis and Springfield, Illinois, where his Family was active in the local mafia. His family was from Terrasini and he was allegedly related to the Licavolis.

I believe that Jasper Aiello was aka. "Fats" Aiello, owned The Big A restaurant/lounge in downtown Youngstown, Ohio directly across the street from the Youngstown Police Department. Needless to say, Cops ate and drank for free ;)
coldshoulder
On Record

Post by coldshoulder »

Great stuff.

Is it possible that the "Tony Dallassandro" listed in Stroccos' chart under both Trumbull and Mahoning counties actually be Tony "The Dope" DelSanter...? Or was this, circa 1951, a little before his time?
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Yes, I believe that Tony Dellassandro is the same Tony 'The Dope" DelSanter if that was the same name that he was when I met him.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Based on this, it may have been Calogero "Charles" Vizzini who brought Calabrians like the Romeos into the Pittsburgh Family:

Vizzini was from the same part of Agrigento as Pittsburgh member Charles Cavallaro and the two were close. Vizzini had lived in Battle Creek, Michigan, and Detroit before Youngstown and was also close to Detroit member Frank Cammarata. Vizzini's affiliation has been hard to pin down but if it's true he was an "instructor" who "taught" the Pittsburgh-affiliated Calabrians then he was probably a Pittsburgh member like Cavallaro.