FOIA Photograph Information

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: FOIA Photograph Information

Post by PolackTony »

Several years back I was staying in a hotel in Youngstown, right off I-80. My wife and I ordered pizza from some local place, don’t remember the name. Nearby, that delivered. It was terrible, perhaps the worst pizza I’ve ever had in my life. Given all the Italians in that area, I had expected much better, but apparently chose the wrong place as I didn’t know what was what. Now my wife is traumatized and will never eat pizza in Youngstown again, even though I’ve tried to convince her that there has to be better places. We pass through there frequently as we often make the drive between NYC and Chicago, so maybe I can convince her to try Avalon or one of these other places.

Is there a specific style of pizza typical of Youngstown? Or does it vary from joint to joint?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

PolackTony wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:48 am Several years back I was staying in a hotel in Youngstown, right off I-80. My wife and I ordered pizza from some local place, don’t remember the name. Nearby, that delivered. It was terrible, perhaps the worst pizza I’ve ever had in my life. Given all the Italians in that area, I had expected much better, but apparently chose the wrong place as I didn’t know what was what. Now my wife is traumatized and will never eat pizza in Youngstown again, even though I’ve tried to convince her that there has to be better places. We pass through there frequently as we often make the drive between NYC and Chicago, so maybe I can convince her to try Avalon or one of these other places.

Is there a specific style of pizza typical of Youngstown? Or does it vary from joint to joint?
Most likely you got a pizza from one of the several chain pizza joints in the area that delivers.Next ime try either Wedgewood, a few locations, or Avalon Downtown. I prefer a simple peppers and sauce traditional style or a greens pizza especially from the Avalon :)
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

FriendofHenry wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:54 am
coldshoulder wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 am Last time I had Sunrise pizza was about 5 years ago, and it was pretty good.

The Youngstown-Warren area has a bunch of great one-off pizza joints, I'd say my favorite's are Wedgewood Pizza (4 or 5 locations), and the Avalon Downtown. Plus plenty of others :P
The Avalon Downtown is very good :) That happens to be Michael's from the original Avalon Bar on Belmont Ave.
Same guy who wore a wire on Jeep ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

coldshoulder wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 am Last time I had Sunrise pizza was about 5 years ago, and it was pretty good.

The Youngstown-Warren area has a bunch of great one-off pizza joints, I'd say my favorite's are Wedgewood Pizza (4 or 5 locations), and the Avalon Downtown. Plus plenty of others :P
Sunrise is still decent
Wedgewood is my fav in Youngstown/ Warren lately I gotten the rose special

Never had avalon
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Stroccos wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:32 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:54 am

The Avalon Downtown is very good :) That happens to be Michael's from the original Avalon Bar on Belmont Ave.
Same guy who wore a wire on Jeep ?
Yeah - Same guy that gave up Jeep :x
coldshoulder
On Record

Post by coldshoulder »

PolackTony wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:48 am
Brier Hill pizza is a Youngstown specialty, taking it's name from the neighborhood overlooking an early important steel mill:

The neighborhood was the birthplace of "Brier Hill pizza", a home-style recipe with origins in the Basilicata region of Italy. Brier Hill pizza is prepared with a generous amount of thick "Sunday sauce", bell peppers and romano cheese, as opposed to the more typical mozzarella. It is one of several dishes the Youngstown area prides itself upon, in much the same way New Yorkers value their distinctive thin-crusted New York-style pizza.

Youngstown-area boss, circa 1970~1985, Vincenzo James (Jimmy) Prato originally grew up in that area and in addition to his "Two-Gun Jimmy" nickname was also known as "Brier Hill Jimmy".

Here's more history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brier_Hil ... wErXRkjBgk

Some photo examples of Brier Hill pizza here:

https://www.facebook.com/brierhillpizza/
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

coldshoulder wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:09 am
Brier Hill pizza is a Youngstown specialty, taking it's name from the neighborhood overlooking an early important steel mill:

The neighborhood was the birthplace of "Brier Hill pizza", a home-style recipe with origins in the Basilicata region of Italy. Brier Hill pizza is prepared with a generous amount of thick "Sunday sauce", bell peppers and romano cheese, as opposed to the more typical mozzarella. It is one of several dishes the Youngstown area prides itself upon, in much the same way New Yorkers value their distinctive thin-crusted New York-style pizza.

Youngstown-area boss, circa 1970~1985, Vincenzo James (Jimmy) Prato originally grew up in that area and in addition to his "Two-Gun Jimmy" nickname was also known as "Brier Hill Jimmy".

Here's more history:

My favorite Brier Hill Pizza was St. Anthony's on Fridays :D
I played poker with Jimmy Prato in a couple of RC's games in Struthers twice a week. He was quite a character ;)
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Ruggiero wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:08 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:42 am
trafficante wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:32 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:40 am ^ The Sunrise Inn on Market Street in Warren, Ohio
Heard they serve a good pizza there... Can you confirm this FOH?
Confirm this how? The name and location you can look up.
As far as Charlie goes; my Dad started taking me there for lunch when I was a teenager. That's when I met Charlie.
It's no secrete that I got to be close to Charlie when we stayed together at Charlie's Roost for deer season.
Charlie and The Sunrise was well known. I've posted several pictures here showing me together with Charlie, Michael and Jo Jo.
Is the Pizza good though? Never been. :?:
Pizza is phenomenal. Even since Charlie hasn't been there. It's Brier Hill Style or in NY, they call it Sicilian Style. Thicker crust.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:28 am

Here's more history:

I played poker with Jimmy Prato in a couple of RC's games in Struthers twice a week. He was quite a character ;)
Agreed. Especially when Deemer Naples' mom made the pizza at St. Anthony's. $5 for a pie, pierogies from Teenie's tavern, I loved Fridays in Youngstown!
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
coldshoulder
On Record

Post by coldshoulder »

Here's more history:

Weren't Jimmy Prato (Pittsburgh) and Ronnie Crab (Cleveland) enemies in the sense each of their sides was trying to assert control in the Mahoning Valley and thus they had competing interests...? But they sat down together and played cards with you and other participants ? Did Jimmy really carry two guns ?
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

coldshoulder wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:55 pm

Here's more history:

Weren't Jimmy Prato (Pittsburgh) and Ronnie Crab (Cleveland) enemies in the sense each of their sides was trying to assert control in the Mahoning Valley and thus they had competing interests...? But they sat down together and played cards with you and other participants ? Did Jimmy really carry two guns ?
RC was never a player but it was his game run by his nephew, Junior Sensitino. Turns out that JImmy played not only because he liked to play but also kept an eye on what should be going to Pittsburgh. Absolutely, Jimmy carried two snub nose 38s in his pants no holster. Jimmy was Jimmy :)
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

It's worth it to ask for better copies but they may not exist anymore given how long he has been gone. I asked for the original copies of the photographs of the 1995 Aurora, Ohio meeting between Pittsburgh and Los Angeles and was told that they had been discarded and that only the black/white xerox looking copies remained. Fingers crossed that didn't happen with the Imburgia pictures.