General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TallGuy19
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by TallGuy19 »

OcSleeper wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:20 pm I don't know the answer to your question TG but if you're talking about the episode with Paul Hodos, that isn't JCB. Both JCB and Hodos were on an episode of the Mob Archeologists together a few weeks back.
Okay. For some reason I thought James Buccellato was JCB.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Was it ever 'settled' that it was Gallo or Gambino (commission or alone?) Who clipped Colombo?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:44 pm Was it ever 'settled' that it was Gallo or Gambino (commission or alone?) Who clipped Colombo?
I always understood that Jerome Johnson met one (or more) of the Gallo Bros. in prison, and they set him up to do the hit. Although Johnson was also linked to a club called Christopher's End, at 180 Christopher Street in Greenwich Village, controlled by alleged Gambino soldier Paul DiBella.

I don't think we have a conclusive answer although one of Joe Colombo's sons wrote a book theorizing who did it. I think he blamed the FBI or something, I haven't read it.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

gohnjotti wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:31 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:44 pm Was it ever 'settled' that it was Gallo or Gambino (commission or alone?) Who clipped Colombo?
I always understood that Jerome Johnson met one (or more) of the Gallo Bros. in prison, and they set him up to do the hit. Although Johnson was also linked to a club called Christopher's End, at 180 Christopher Street in Greenwich Village, controlled by alleged Gambino soldier Paul DiBella.

I don't think we have a conclusive answer although one of Joe Colombo's sons wrote a book theorizing who did it. I think he blamed the FBI or something, I haven't read it.
Cheers ears.

I was under the impression it was Gambino.
Colombo drawing too much heat with the IAA. Ignoring the commission.
Good to know.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:49 pm I was under the impression it was Gambino.
Good to know.
FWIW Capeci says that Jerome Johnson was a lone nut. I harvested this from his book on Google Books:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Ivan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:05 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:49 pm I was under the impression it was Gambino.
Good to know.
FWIW Capeci says that Jerome Johnson was a lone nut. I harvested this from his book on Google Books:
Great post. Interesting. Appears to make the most sense. It states Gallo never met Johnson in prison, just 'black gangsters', who doesn't meet 'black gangsters' in prison.

And I agree with the contention on gambino. Why such a public hit, if gambino wanted him gone, he'd as said, just have him clipped quietly likely at a 'meeting'

Great stuff Ivan. Appears Johnson was just a Comello
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:17 pm
Ivan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:05 pm
Good to know.
Great post. Interesting. Appears to make the most sense. It states Gallo never met Johnson in prison, just 'black gangsters', who doesn't meet 'black gangsters' in prison.

And I agree with the contention on gambino. Why such a public hit, if gambino wanted him gone, he'd as said, just have him clipped quietly likely at a 'meeting'

Great stuff Ivan. Appears Johnson was just a Comello
Thanks Ivan. This article online popped up when I searched Jerome Johnson Colombo, it's an interesting read;
https://crimereads.com/soul-assassin-th ... e-johnson/
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Good discussion gents.
Great info on a big, and grey topic.
Cheers to both.

Insight on a not small mafia historical point.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Working off memory, is Lawrence, little guy, Dentico still alive?
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:12 am Good discussion gents.
Great info on a big, and grey topic.
Cheers to both.

Insight on a not small mafia historical point.
No problem fellas. Google Books doesn't allow-copy paste but I defeated it with Microsoft Snipping Tool. :lol:

I subscribe to the "lone nut" theory myself, though I wouldn't be shocked if Gallo jokingly took credit for the Johnson thing the same way he did for the Anastasia hit ("just call us the barbershop quintet") and helped spread the myth.

Really like the Comello thing Sonny, great comparison and wish I'd thought of it.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:22 am Working off memory, is Lawrence, little guy, Dentico still alive?
He's living in Florida with his son. Going to be 100 this year.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

OcSleeper wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:13 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:22 am Working off memory, is Lawrence, little guy, Dentico still alive?
Wow.

What the hell do they eat in the Westside.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

What was Salvatore Maranzano's rank at the beginning of the Castellammarese War? I'm reading A Man of Honor currently, and it says that he was a soldier, but I have always thought he was boss.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

TallGuy19 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:31 pm What was Salvatore Maranzano's rank at the beginning of the Castellammarese War? I'm reading A Man of Honor currently, and it says that he was a soldier, but I have always thought he was boss.
He was a soldier in the House of Schiro. I don't think he becomes officially recognized as a boss by the other families until after the war. Remember it was all being done on the sneak, they didn't come out and publicly declare war on Masseria. Maranzano had a small group with him and Gagliano had a small group with him so Masseria had a hard time figuring out who was attacking him.

Maybe Angelo will chime in here he definitely has a bead on this.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:15 am
OcSleeper wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:13 am
Wow.

What the hell do they eat in the Westside.
It's not the food. It's... THE DEVIL.
Ivan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:38 pm It's really really common too. There are tons of guys like that. Might have something to do with that occult blood ritual thing they do when made, being an active gangster over 85 is some serious vampire shit.