General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by NorthBuffalo »

All the theories are plausible, I just think some more than others. The Outfit had someone there to protect the skim right? None of these bosses were allowed to set foot near Vegas - so if not Spilotro then who? I'm not sure the Outfit or KC or Milwaukee had some sleeper out there that hasn't come to light yet.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Where is the Lefty Rosenthal files? Are they in the fbi forum?
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

It has been well documented that Chicago has had a point man on the west coast since maybe the 1920s. If Spilotro was not that point man in the 1970s and 1980s, then who was?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I have an October 1981 FBI file that seems to mention Tony Spilotro in Vegas. When the Rockford LCN was given the go ahead to deal in narcotics in 1980 one operation was the one run by John S. Leombruni which moved large amounts of cocaine between Rockford, Chicago and Las Vegas. Right before Leombruni was involved in the Rockford operation he was living in Las Vegas and dealing in narcotics but FBI files and sources said he was "run out by that city's Mafia chief." The only "chief" there was obviously Spilotro who may have thought Leombruni's operation there would bring too much heat and attention.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Interesting I found this obit on Anthony Panzica who passed away in Georgia in 2020. I’m guessing it’s the same Panzica that was an Outfit hitter and suspected in the Dorfman hit. He has not been on a chart for a very long time but he was alive up until less than three years ago. Can anyone confirm it is the same Tony Panzica that was an Outfit hitter and had worked for Milwaukee Phil at one time?

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ch ... id=2839108
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:55 pm Interesting I found this obit on Anthony Panzica who passed away in Georgia in 2020. I’m guessing it’s the same Panzica that was an Outfit hitter and suspected in the Dorfman hit. He has not been on a chart for a very long time but he was alive up until less than three years ago. Can anyone confirm it is the same Tony Panzica that was an Outfit hitter and had worked for Milwaukee Phil at one time?

It’s not the same guy, and may not even be related as there were a number of Panzicas from different towns in Sicily in Chicago. The guy who died in 2020 was born in 1933 and thus 20 years younger than Tony “Nags” Panzica, who was born in 1912 and so far as I’m aware died in ‘98 in FL. Here’s what I have on Panzica, who seems to have had connections to both Chicago and Milwaukee:

viewtopic.php?p=230228#p230228
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:03 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:55 pm Interesting I found this obit on Anthony Panzica who passed away in Georgia in 2020. I’m guessing it’s the same Panzica that was an Outfit hitter and suspected in the Dorfman hit. He has not been on a chart for a very long time but he was alive up until less than three years ago. Can anyone confirm it is the same Tony Panzica that was an Outfit hitter and had worked for Milwaukee Phil at one time?

It’s not the same guy, and may not even be related as there were a number of Panzicas from different towns in Sicily in Chicago. The guy who died in 2020 was born in 1933 and thus 20 years younger than Tony “Nags” Panzica, who was born in 1912 and so far as I’m aware died in ‘98 in FL. Here’s what I have on Panzica, who seems to have had connections to both Chicago and Milwaukee:

Thanks for the clarification Tony
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:03 pm

These deep dives on these guys are really fun to read Tony - I thoroughly enjoy all of your posts.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Been busy so catching up, man thats yet another great find on the Todaro/Gigi pic Patrick.

As for Spilotro, certainly possible but seems unlikely. As others have said, i find it strange that such a fat nugget would go unmentioned for what...the 15 years that Fosco has been talking about this stuff now? What reason would he have to keep it quiet? To protect pat the dentist? Meh.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Has there ever been a chronological list of Capone-based books made? I'd like to see it if it exists.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

funkster wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:30 pm Been busy so catching up, man thats yet another great find on the Todaro/Gigi pic Patrick.

As for Spilotro, certainly possible but seems unlikely. As others have said, i find it strange that such a fat nugget would go unmentioned for what...the 15 years that Fosco has been talking about this stuff now? What reason would he have to keep it quiet? To protect pat the dentist? Meh.
Surprised Todaro would take a pic like that to be honest with a mob affiliate - I have to wonder whether he even knew who Rovito even was - I highly doubt those two families have a direct line to each other. Also anyone whose been to a convention in Vegas recognizes exactly where that photo is - in the convention center just inside. Some of these guys who said that photo was in Chicago were doing it on purpose I think - to make this something more than what it was.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Angelo Santino wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:08 am Has there ever been a chronological list of Capone-based books made? I'd like to see it if it exists.
Not specifically of Capone books, but I did make a recommended reading list of Chicago books in the Book section of the Black Hand Forum.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chicago "Red October" Chart. Never seen this one before-
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11504&p=258480#p258480
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Following up on the earlier Spilotro discussion.

In October of 1974, Bompensiero reported a meeting that he had with Spilotro in Vegas to the FBI. Spilotro had told Bomp that he had been tasked with the Danny Seifert hit, which he had carried out with two other unnamed “hoodlums”. Spilotro was worried that Emma Seifert had recognized him, and that the hit had went poorly as the guy tasked with shooting Seifert had his gun jam, hence Seifert running and getting shot out in the parking lot. Spilotro told Bomp that he had been “ordered to return to Las Vegas” by the Chicago admin, and was in hot water for having bungled the hit. Bomp further added that based on his conversation with Spilotro, Tony had been “taken off the ‘Outfit’s payroll’ and at this time [was] on his own financially”.

In 1979, a CI (CG 8534-TE, identity unknown to me; had been informing since at least 1974) told the FBI that he had recently discussed Spilotro with Frank Schweihs. Schweihs told the CI that the Chicago admin and Aiuppa in particular were “upset with the way Spilotro had handled the Las Vegas situation”, and had ordered Spilotro to return to Chicago to “watch him, and to replace him in Las Vegas”. The conversation covered the possibility that Spilotro might have tried to issue a hit on an undercover FBI agent. Schweihs told the informant that Spilotro was “not that high up in the Outfit” and was “expendable”, thus if he had attempted to murder an FBI agent the Chicago admin would have Spilotro killed for potentially bringing “heat” on the Family.

I also re-reviewed sections of Jimmy Fratianno’s book touching on Spilotro. The book repeatedly notes that Spilotro was a soldier. Spilotro was stated to have served as the messenger between the Chicago admin and Lefty Rosenthal, and to have taken over Roselli’s former responsibilities in Vegas, which were given as “arbitrating beefs” there. Fratianno is also depicted as opining that Spilotro “don’t seem too capable” and was running juice and other unsanctioned operations in Vegas. In an account of a meeting with Lombardo, Accardo, Cerone, and Aiuppa, Frattiano told Aiuppa that he had told Roselli and Spilotro that Mike Rizzitello had been proposed but not yet inducted by LA, as he wanted to make sure that Aiuppa knew that Rizzitello was not a made guy when he saw him accompanying Frattiano at the meeting. Cerone was stated to have interjected “Wait a minute […] Why tell Spilotro? He’s nothing but a fucking soldier. You’ve got no right telling that guy nothing”. This was around 1976, when Fratianno was serving as acting boss. As with everything rendered as a conversation in “The Last Mafioso”, it’s unclear to what extent these claims were verbatim accounts from Fratianno, as opposed to artistic license on the part of Ovid Demaris.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I think CG 8534 is Red Wemette. CG 8534 was active during the same period Red was, he knew the same circle of people (Lombardo, Spilotro, Schweihs and Weiner), and his handler in the 1970s was SA John Osbourne.