Long, excellent series on Wheeling mob

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Long, excellent series on Wheeling mob

Post by Ivan »

Here, in reverse chronological order (scroll down).

https://weelunk.com/mob/
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
trafficante
Straightened out

Re: Long, excellent series on Wheeling mob

Post by trafficante »

Great series. Always been eager to learn more about the Paul Hankish organization. He's a pretty interesting guy given that Joseph Covello of the Gambinos is one of his kid's godfathers, same with Kelly Mannarino of Pittsburgh and Joey Naples of Youngstown. Outside of W.Va he had connections in New Jersey and Rhode Island if I recall.
"Don't go telling me about two factions. Don't try that Nick Licata shit on me."
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

trafficante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:59 am Outside of W.Va he had connections in New Jersey and Rhode Island if I recall.
He was under Pittsburgh IIRC, probably Jojo Pecora or somebody was his immediate supervisor.
trafficante
Straightened out

Post by trafficante »

Ivan wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:18 am
trafficante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:59 am Outside of W.Va he had connections in New Jersey and Rhode Island if I recall.
He was under Pittsburgh IIRC, probably Jojo Pecora or somebody was his immediate supervisor.
I believe he paid tribute to the Pittsburgh family. Im sure someone like JCB or Friend of Henry would know more than me on this though.
"Don't go telling me about two factions. Don't try that Nick Licata shit on me."
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

trafficante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:45 am
Ivan wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:18 am
I believe he paid tribute to the Pittsburgh family. Im sure someone like JCB or Friend of Henry would know more than me on this though.
Yes -Wheeling was included in Jo Jo's territory :)
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

One thing I've always been unclear on when it comes to Wheeling, is that in 1957 Wheeling gambler Nick Miller was strangled and and got dumped. And the FBI reports are that the Mannarinos did it at the request of the Detroit family. But I've never been able to get additional information as to why.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Adam wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:21 am One thing I've always been unclear on when it comes to Wheeling, is that in 1957 Wheeling gambler Nick Miller was strangled and and got dumped. And the FBI reports are that the Mannarinos did it at the request of the Detroit family. But I've never been able to get additional information as to why.
I can't help you with this, but maybe JCB can? Reach out for him and see what he might know.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

FriendofHenry wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:27 am
Adam wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:21 am One thing I've always been unclear on when it comes to Wheeling, is that in 1957 Wheeling gambler Nick Miller was strangled and and got dumped. And the FBI reports are that the Mannarinos did it at the request of the Detroit family. But I've never been able to get additional information as to why.
I can't help you with this, but maybe JCB can? Reach out for him and see what he might know.
In 1957 Big Bill Lias was the "boss" of Wheeling and from what little I know, Big Bill also had a home in Detroit. I've wondered if Lias had been officially affiliated with the Detriot outfit as an associate. If so, then Detroit may have reached out to Pitt on his behalf to have a guy killed.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

I wonder if the connection between Hankish and Covello came from David Iacovetti .

He was a Gambino member who was all over the place. He had ties to Pittsburgh and was close to Joe Covello, even being arrested with his brother.

He seems like he could have been the bridge between the two.
trafficante
Straightened out

Post by trafficante »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:01 pm I wonder if the connection between Hankish and Covello came from David Iacovetti .

He was a Gambino member who was all over the place. He had ties to Pittsburgh and was close to Joe Covello, even being arrested with his brother.

Hankish had a lieutenant named Charles "Buddy" Jacovetty--similar surname to Iacovetti. Possibly a connection there, but I'm just speculating.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

trafficante wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:24 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:01 pm I wonder if the connection between Hankish and Covello came from David Iacovetti .

Hankish had a lieutenant named Charles "Buddy" Jacovetty--similar surname to Iacovetti. Possibly a connection there, but I'm just speculating.
Good catch on this, there could be something there.

"Jacovetty" is just a spelling variation of Iacovetti; the ones in Wheeling changed the spelling from the original Iacovetti after settling in the US. The surname has a strong concentration in the area of what is today Isernia province, Molise, around towns like Forli del Sannio, Castel San Vincenzo, and Pizzone (Pizzone being a major town in Chicago with multiple ties to the mafia there, so it's an area that I'm familiar with). From the info that I have, Buddy Jacovetty's father (Buddy was half Italian; his mother was named Radulovich) Charles Anthony Jacovetty was born in Wheeling to parents from the Forli del Sannio area. David Iacovetti was born in Brooklyn -- as his father Fred was born in the US in 1892 it's hard to trace his ancestry, but there were a number of other Iacovettis in Brooklyn from Forli del Sannio, so I think it's a good bet that Fred Iacovetti's family was from that area as well.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Paul1921
Associate

Post by Paul1921 »

This was a great series. Read it and enjoyed it thoroughly. According to Eggy Prosdocimo and a former law enforcement officer who worked the PG mob, Hankish paid up a portion of his profits to Pecora, Porter and Zottola based on whoever his contact was at the time.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Paul1921 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:36 am This was a great series. Read it and enjoyed it thoroughly. According to Eggy Prosdocimo and a former law enforcement officer who worked the PG mob, Hankish paid up a portion of his profits to Pecora, Porter and Zottola based on whoever his contact was at the time.
Glad you like it!

Figured that Pecora would be involved. The Mafia Don of West Virginia! :D
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Ivan wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 am
Paul1921 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:36 am This was a great series. Read it and enjoyed it thoroughly. According to Eggy Prosdocimo and a former law enforcement officer who worked the PG mob, Hankish paid up a portion of his profits to Pecora, Porter and Zottola based on whoever his contact was at the time.
Glad you like it!

Just a rather humorist piece - Jo Jo had West Virginia licence with only the number 2.
Joe bitched that he should have the Governors plate number 1.
After all, Jo Jo paid the Governor more than the state did :)
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

FriendofHenry wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:26 am
Ivan wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 am
Glad you like it!

Just a rather humorist piece - Jo Jo had West Virginia licence with only the number 2.
Joe bitched that he should have the Governors plate number 1.
After all, Jo Jo paid the Governor more than the state did :)
You were friendly with him in real life, right?