Los Angeles odds & ends

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Los Angeles odds & ends

Post by davidf1989 »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:39 pm
davidf1989 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:17 am Hi and what do people make of this article about Johnny Rosselli?https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/25/arch ... imony.html was his hit sanctioned by mafia leaders such as Aiuppa to prevent him from talking any more?
He was badmouthing Chicago for the Giancana hit. Aiuppa was a sensitive guy. Seriously, being part of the life means accepting it if your best friend or your brother is ordered to go.
This is also reflected in Fratianno’s account in the Crime Inc documentary, where he recalls Aiuppa meeting with him to feel him out regarding Fratianno’s feelings about the Roselli hit. The implication obviously being that if Fratianno had responded the wrong way he’d have been flattened too.

Another thing to keep in mind with Roselli is that Bompensiero had previously reported to the FBI that Roselli was in major hot water already for having had his lawyer type up an account of something and give it to Frank LaPorte at a meeting. LaPorte was enraged by this as he felt that Roselli could’ve endangered him if LE found the paper and he reported Roselli to Chicago’s Council. LaPorte was, of course, Roselli’s capodecina and told Bompensiero that Roselli’s fate was in the hands of the Council. Clearly they voted against clipping Roselli at that time but he would’ve been on very thin ice thereafter; in the immortal words of Frank Calabrese Sr: “they don’t tell ya a third time”.

Regarding Aiuppa being a sensitive guy, Frank Culotta stated that you didn’t even want to be in his presence as he’d “have a ham sandwich whacked”. Makes me think also of the story from Frank Calabrese Jr’s book where he recounts that Aiuppa put a hit out on Frank’s maternal uncle and President of the HERE union Ed Hanley, allegedly for loudly badmouthing Italians in public during a drunken rant at a Loop bar. Supposedly Aiuppa was so incensed that he was personally present in a car trailing the hit team who was stalking Hanley so that he could see it go down (per Frank Jr they never got Hanley in a position to kill him and called the hit off). The insult would’ve presumably been very personal to Aiuppa, as Hanley allegedly owed his position as HERE President to Aiuppa.
Thanks for your message and was Frank Laporte involved with Bompensiero and Fratianno in a trucking operation?
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Death dates for two Los Angeles members

Raymond DeRosa a/k/a "Rocky", "Rhode Island Rocky"
b. 19/04/1922
d. 02/04/1994

Michael Marino Comparetti a/k/a "Mike Marino"
b. 01/06/1908 (also listed as 07/06/1908?)
d. 01/04/1992
- this one is a bit strange, since the birthdate is different as well as social security number but the details are so close that it is almost certainly the same guy? Birthplace is New York and he ends up dying in Claremont, about half an hour away from Hacienda Heights where he had a listed address in the 1970s.
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Death date for another member

Rocco James Zangari a/k/a "Rocky Bigfoot"
b. XX/08/1933
d. 16/04/2016

He is buried in Rochester, confirming the thing that Kenji said about him moving back to Buffalo/New York.
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Death date for suspected member

Frank Joseph Stellino
b. 14/10/1925
d. 20/01/1998
trafficante
Straightened out

Post by trafficante »

davidf1989 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:19 am
davidf1989 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:17 am Hi and what do people make of this article about Johnny Rosselli?https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/25/arch ... imony.html was his hit sanctioned by mafia leaders such as Aiuppa to prevent him from talking any more?
He was badmouthing Chicago for the Giancana hit. Aiuppa was a sensitive guy. Seriously, being part of the life means accepting it if your best friend or your brother is ordered to go.
This is also reflected in Fratianno’s account in the Crime Inc documentary, where he recalls Aiuppa meeting with him to feel him out regarding Fratianno’s feelings about the Roselli hit. The implication obviously being that if Fratianno had responded the wrong way he’d have been flattened too.

Another thing to keep in mind with Roselli is that Bompensiero had previously reported to the FBI that Roselli was in major hot water already for having had his lawyer type up an account of something and give it to Frank LaPorte at a meeting. LaPorte was enraged by this as he felt that Roselli could’ve endangered him if LE found the paper and he reported Roselli to Chicago’s Council. LaPorte was, of course, Roselli’s capodecina and told Bompensiero that Roselli’s fate was in the hands of the Council. Clearly they voted against clipping Roselli at that time but he would’ve been on very thin ice thereafter; in the immortal words of Frank Calabrese Sr: “they don’t tell ya a third time”.

Regarding Aiuppa being a sensitive guy, Frank Culotta stated that you didn’t even want to be in his presence as he’d “have a ham sandwich whacked”. Makes me think also of the story from Frank Calabrese Jr’s book where he recounts that Aiuppa put a hit out on Frank’s maternal uncle and President of the HERE union Ed Hanley, allegedly for loudly badmouthing Italians in public during a drunken rant at a Loop bar. Supposedly Aiuppa was so incensed that he was personally present in a car trailing the hit team who was stalking Hanley so that he could see it go down (per Frank Jr they never got Hanley in a position to kill him and called the hit off). The insult would’ve presumably been very personal to Aiuppa, as Hanley allegedly owed his position as HERE President to Aiuppa.
Thanks for your message and was Frank Laporte involved with Bompensiero and Fratianno in a trucking operation?
Frank LaPorte was involved (at least from what I've read) in Fratianno's trucking company Fratianno Trucking as an investor. Fratianno described him and Bompensiero talking to LaPorte about the merits of the trucking industry and later explained that LaPorte had secured a $225,000 loan in order to buy sixteen trucks, eight of which went to Fratianno (the others went to Frank's son-in-law Tony Franze and his brother-in-law Jimmy Ross.) Bompensiero was on the payroll of Fratianno Trucking according to Fratianno and Bomp would often accompany LaPorte and Fratianno to trips to Reno when LaPorte came to town.
"Don't go telling me about two factions. Don't try that Nick Licata shit on me."
kyrieleis
On Record

Post by kyrieleis »

trafficante wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Frank LaPorte was involved (at least from what I've read) in Fratianno's trucking company Fratianno Trucking as an investor. Fratianno described him and Bompensiero talking to LaPorte about the merits of the trucking industry and later explained that LaPorte had secured a $225,000 loan in order to buy sixteen trucks, eight of which went to Fratianno (the others went to Frank's son-in-law Tony Franze and his brother-in-law Jimmy Ross.) Bompensiero was on the payroll of Fratianno Trucking according to Fratianno and Bomp would often accompany LaPorte and Fratianno to trips to Reno when LaPorte came to town.
Very good info, trafficante. Is there perhaps a source for this, such as a book or article? Thanks
- Kyrieleis
"We bakuto cannot walk in broad daylight. But if we unite and become a wall to stop communism, we can be of service to the nation. If anything happens, we would like to stake our lives for the good of the country."
trafficante
Straightened out

Post by trafficante »

kyrieleis wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:55 pm
trafficante wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Very good info, trafficante. Is there perhaps a source for this, such as a book or article? Thanks
- Kyrieleis
All of this info came from the book the Last Mafioso and a few FBI files I read about LaPorte and Fratianno on maryferrell.
"Don't go telling me about two factions. Don't try that Nick Licata shit on me."
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Death date for suspected member

Phillip Thomas Dioguardi a/k/a "Fat Philly"
b. 14/07/1948
d. 16/01/2004
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Possible DOB for member Michael Esposito

b. 08/06/1945
PaddyWhack
Straightened out

Post by PaddyWhack »

JoePuzzles234 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:25 pm Possible DOB for member Michael Esposito

b. 08/06/1945
Same guy?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants ... 493896.php
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

PaddyWhack wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm
JoePuzzles234 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:25 pm Possible DOB for member Michael Esposito

b. 08/06/1945
Same guy?

Came across that article as well, thought it may have been him at first but it's a different guy.

Here's a photo of the Esposito in the article with "romantic partner" Barrett Walters.
different esposito.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

JoePuzzles234 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 am
PaddyWhack wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm

b. 08/06/1945
Same guy?

Came across that article as well, thought it may have been him at first but it's a different guy.

Here's a photo of the Esposito in the article with "romantic partner" Barrett Walters.
different esposito.jpg
"Hes a faaaaggggg"
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

May have been shared before but posting just in case

DOB and DOD for San Diego member Giuseppe Adamo a/k/a "Joseph"
b. 21/11/1902
d. 10/07/1998
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Since last year, photos of Mike Esposito have come out. This is around June 2011.
michael esposito june 8 2011.jpg
New stuff

Miscellaneous info from Michael DiLeonardo:
Re. Rochester member Frank Valenti:
• Valenti and Peter Milano mutually disliked each other
• Valenti was a “tough guy” despite being elderly, possibly causing the issues with Milano
• DiLeonardo suggested to John A. Gotti that Valenti should be allowed to check-in with New York but this never ended up happening
• A non-member friend of John A. Gotti facilitated the meeting between DiLeonardo and Valenti in Arizona (might indicate they were not formally introduced?)

Re. Los Angeles member Louis Caruso:
“Big in the HVAC business” per DiLeonardo, though this may have deteriorated by the late 1990s as Caruso apparently began abusing cocaine. He was operating a similar business in the 2010s notably.

Re. Los Angeles member Luigi Gelfuso Jnr:
DiLeonardo cannot recall specifically if he met Gelfuso but did meet “another Louie” which was probably him. No further details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7digits
Associate

Post by 7digits »

Your silver screen site is one of the best out there. For real researchers yours and LCN bios and Colombo mob are the best