San Diego Family

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

San Diego Family

Post by B. »

When Nick Licata was dying in 1974 Frank Bompensiero met with Joe LiMandri who suggested San Diego break off and form its own Family that would induct new members.
sandiegofamily.png
LiMandri was well-connected nationally with friends in the Chicago and New York Families, plus he had a pedigree going back to the Morello leadership. Wonder if this was a serious idea he was considering and if he had plans to seek recognition for their group if it happened.

Later a meeting was held with captain Joe Adamo where the LiMandris, Adamo, and Bompensiero rejected Louis Tom Dragna as boss and felt Regace/Brooklier or Sam Orlando Sciortino would take over instead, most likely Brooklier:
dragnabomp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Re: San Diego Family

Post by JoelTurner »

Didn't Bonanno say that the mafia in SoCal started out in San Diego? Was that a separate entity from the LA family?
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:16 am Didn't Bonanno say that the mafia in SoCal started out in San Diego? Was that a separate entity from the LA family?
Bill Bonanno mentioned that "Sicilian groups gathered in San Diego as early as 1920; by the 1930s they had branched out into Los Angeles" and mentioned a "chapter" being formed in San Francisco/San Jose in 1931.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Excellent find B.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

nizarsoccer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:24 am
JoelTurner wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:16 am Didn't Bonanno say that the mafia in SoCal started out in San Diego? Was that a separate entity from the LA family?
Bill Bonanno mentioned that "Sicilian groups gathered in San Diego as early as 1920; by the 1930s they had branched out into Los Angeles" and mentioned a "chapter" being formed in San Francisco/San Jose in 1931.
San Francisco definitely had a much longer history than that, as we can confirm a formal Family existed there in the early 1920s when Gentile joined them but there's evidence of mafiosi in SF back into the 1800s. San Jose also existed as its own Family by 1929 when Tony Lima moved to SF.

I do wonder what Bill Bonanno's perception was based on for San Diego predating LA. If true, it either means LA evolved out of an existing group of mafiosi in San Diego or two groups were otherwise combined. San Diego had a strong relationship to Detroit-connected members from Alcamo and Partinico for decades which was different from LA's known make-up so maybe there were earlier roots from there. I know zero about early immigration to San Diego and what kind of colonies existed there before they were a confirmed LA decina.
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

It is very interesting that LiMandri is the one to suggest breaking off since aside from his connections, Jimmy Fratianno portrays him as someone with little ambition.

Also wonder who he felt there was in San Diego worth inducting, maybe his own brother John and then a guy like John Aquilante, along with the various bookmakers in the area? Definitely something to think about given that most of the known members of Adamo's group certainly don't appear to have active to any great extent by that time period.
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JoePuzzles234 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:37 pm It is very interesting that LiMandri is the one to suggest breaking off since aside from his connections, Jimmy Fratianno portrays him as someone with little ambition.

Also wonder who he felt there was in San Diego worth inducting, maybe his own brother John and then a guy like John Aquilante, along with the various bookmakers in the area? Definitely something to think about given that most of the known members of Adamo's group certainly don't appear to have active to any great extent by that time period.
Good question. It's like when Tony Lima tried to become boss of SF again in the 1970s and told the FBI he had a bunch of "recruits" lined up he wanted to bring into the Family but I've got no idea who they were.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also on another note, Bompensiero told the FBI before he was killed that Fratianno was the acting underboss. We already deduced that was his rank despite the "confusion" Fratianno created about being the one in charge but good to see it from Bomp.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

JoePuzzles234 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:37 pm It is very interesting that LiMandri is the one to suggest breaking off since aside from his connections, Jimmy Fratianno portrays him as someone with little ambition.

To be fair, Fratianno portrays pretty much everyone as useless. That no one was as serious about Cosa Nostra as him or able to make any money like him. Yet he was broke and turned government witness. Go figure.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:34 pm
nizarsoccer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:24 am
Bill's perception might be based on his father's dealings. Joe Bonanno was affiliated with SD capo Tony Mirabile, with photo verification in one of tue Bonanno books. This relationship has never been flushed out. I assume it was more than just social. Mirabile was a interesting mafioso, having operated in Mexico during the 30s and 40s. Alledgedly creating the one of the first known drug pipelines into the southwest. Research on this relationship could answer some questions

San Francisco definitely had a much longer history than that, as we can confirm a formal Family existed there in the early 1920s when Gentile joined them but there's evidence of mafiosi in SF back into the 1800s. San Jose also existed as its own Family by 1929 when Tony Lima moved to SF.

I do wonder what Bill Bonanno's perception was based on for San Diego predating LA. If true, it either means LA evolved out of an existing group of mafiosi in San Diego or two groups were otherwise combined. San Diego had a strong relationship to Detroit-connected members from Alcamo and Partinico for decades which was different from LA's known make-up so maybe there were earlier roots from there. I know zero about early immigration to San Diego and what kind of colonies existed there before they were a confirmed LA decina.
"I was a venture capitalist"
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Biagio Bonventre was one of the three LA members connected to Bonanno's plot to take out Desimone along with Frank Bompensiero who was in contact with Bonanno until Bomp was killed in 77. Bonventre was from Trapani thought not related to the Bonanno Bonventres but it's strange he came up as all we really know is he was a "capable" killer originally from Flint who doesn't seem to have been active in the 1960s.

What's funny about LiMandri wanting San Diego to break off is that the other plots involved merging the three California Families.
Last edited by B. on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Bill Bonanno made a lot of mistakes in his book and this was one of them. There's absolutely not the slightest bit of evidence that there was a brugad in San Diego, not to mention one that predated Los Angeles. I understand that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but this is an area I've looked into with others for quite a long time.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:03 pm Bill Bonanno made a lot of mistakes in his book and this was one of them. There's absolutely not the slightest bit of evidence that there was a brugad in San Diego, not to mention one that predated Los Angeles. I understand that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but this is an area I've looked into with others for quite a long time.
Bill's assumption about the importance of San Diego probably comes from his father's association with SD capo Tony Mirabile. There is photo evidence in one of the Bonanno books and it couldn't have been merely social. Mirabile is a fascanating character. I believe he was operating in Tijuana as by the 30's and alledgedly establish one of the first "known" drug pipelines from Mexico into the southwest. Mirabile also was the preeminate bar owner/shylock in the downtown San Diego area. Prime real estate (then and now). I believe that Bonanno's expansionist plans is key to this relationship. I know Mirabile is originally a Detroit guy but it isn't lost on me that his surname is associated with the Bonanno Family. It seems Bonanno had some interest in SD, as an entry point into taking over California. Its a very lucrative area, and pretty open compared to the east coast.
If there was more known about Tony Bello and some of his dealings in the area (at that time) it could shed some light on Bonanno's motis operandi. Bello is the only official Bonanno guy I know of, who was in San Diego.
"I was a venture capitalist"
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:52 pm Also on another note, Bompensiero told the FBI before he was killed that Fratianno was the acting underboss. We already deduced that was his rank despite the "confusion" Fratianno created about being the one in charge but good to see it from Bomp.
Were Bompensiero and Fratianno friends or something?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

davidf1989 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:20 am
B. wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:52 pm Also on another note, Bompensiero told the FBI before he was killed that Fratianno was the acting underboss. We already deduced that was his rank despite the "confusion" Fratianno created about being the one in charge but good to see it from Bomp.
Were Bompensiero and Fratianno friends or something?
They were, misery loves company. You should read Frattiano’s book, def worth checking out.