Mob Books

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

MikeyRiens11
Honorary Member

Mob Books

Post by MikeyRiens11 »

What do you consider the most believable mafia related books, written or co-written by a turncoat?
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Re: Mob Books

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Mob Boss
Mafia Prince
Blood and Honor
Carmine and the 13th Ave Boys
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.
Tony B
Prospect

Post by Tony B »

Mafia Prince is my favorite.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Tony B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:02 pm Mafia Prince is my favorite.
That's a damn good one. He does his stupid "my uncle made me do it" routine (my own opinion: they were both born bad, with the same "evil gene") but other than that he's pretty believable.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:05 pm
That's a damn good one. He does his stupid "my uncle made me do it" routine (my own opinion: they were both born bad, with the same "evil gene") but other than that he's pretty believable.
Yeah I have always had a hard time with this. I agree. More than likely because of his early conditioning via Nicky, he didn't need to be forced or pushed very hard to do anything.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

DonPeppino386 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:26 pm
Yeah I have always had a hard time with this. I agree. More than likely because of his early conditioning via Nicky, he didn't need to be forced or pushed very hard to do anything.
It's just something hereditary/genetic in their line, with the "right" (i.e., wrong) combination of genes being expressed in those two particular individuals. They didn't grow up poor or abused or anything.

I've always thought Leonetti was actually scarier than his uncle. With Scarfo there's a kind of humanity you can detect there at least, while Leonetti just seems "empty" in a spooky way, if that makes sense.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:45 pm
It's just something hereditary/genetic in their line, with the "right" (i.e., wrong) combination of genes being expressed in those two particular individuals. They didn't grow up poor or abused or anything.

I've always thought Leonetti was actually scarier than his uncle. With Scarfo there's a kind of humanity you can detect there at least, while Leonetti just seems "empty" in a spooky way, if that makes sense.
Yea Phil talks about murder like you or I would talk about what’s for dinner lol he’s so calm and not bothered by it. Would have loved to have seen what Philly would look like if Phil never flipped and got out in the 2000’s like the other old time Philly guys. People were definitely afraid to death of him.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

AntComello wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:04 pm
Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:45 pm

Yea Phil talks about murder like you or I would talk about what’s for dinner lol he’s so calm and not bothered by it. Would have loved to have seen what Philly would look like if Phil never flipped and got out in the 2000’s like the other old time Philly guys. People were definitely afraid to death of him.
Totally good point. That would have been wild. I dont see any of those guys trying anything except taking orders.
sisterray
Straightened out

Post by sisterray »

Blood and Honour by far. When the Crow talks about sticking people up just to pay for his girlfriend’s abortion, you instantly get the gist where a great deal of those mob guys come from.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

"What can I say? He's a bad seed."
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Al darcos book really good. I mean of you want one that took a few misteps with accuracy murder machine is probably the most thrilling. Just a crazy book about a crew of serial killers it feels like make believe except its like 80 90 percent accurate. The good rat by that old newspaper guy name escapes me is great. Basically about the mafia cops but also about burt Kaplan a guy who waited forever to flip
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Mafia Prince is great. Something I wasn’t prepared for in that book was the disgust Scarfo had for Sicilians. Every time he and Leonetti would have a conversation with someone of Sicilian ancestry, as soon as that person was out of ear shot, Scarfo would be warning Leonetti how the Sicilians weren’t to be trusted and that they were inherently greedy and backstabbing people. There must be 8-10 instances in the book where Scarfo goes on some kind of rant about Sicilians.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:26 pm Mafia Prince is great. Something I wasn’t prepared for in that book was the disgust Scarfo had for Sicilians. Every time he and Leonetti would have a conversation with someone of Sicilian ancestry, as soon as that person was out of ear shot, Scarfo would be warning Leonetti how the Sicilians weren’t to be trusted and that they were inherently greedy and backstabbing people. There must be 8-10 instances in the book where Scarfo goes on some kind of rant about Sicilians.
Yea I was surprised by that too. They need to make a movie about Scarfos rise and fall based on Leonettis book. Would be a classic with the right casting.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Also for folks that are into Audiobooks, the dude that does the narration for Mafia Prince does a really good job. I read the book first but then like a year later listened to it on a really long road trip, and the narrator is excellent.

Which isn’t always the case. I tried listening to Donnie Brasco on a road trip and listening to Joe Pistone read his own words was one of the more cringe and awkward experiences of my life. I legit felt bad for him. He sounded like a 7th grader being asked to read something for the first time in front of the class. Interesting book, obviously, but man….listening to Pistone read it was brutal.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

AntComello wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:54 am
Amershire_Ed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:26 pm Mafia Prince is great. Something I wasn’t prepared for in that book was the disgust Scarfo had for Sicilians. Every time he and Leonetti would have a conversation with someone of Sicilian ancestry, as soon as that person was out of ear shot, Scarfo would be warning Leonetti how the Sicilians weren’t to be trusted and that they were inherently greedy and backstabbing people. There must be 8-10 instances in the book where Scarfo goes on some kind of rant about Sicilians.
Yea I was surprised by that too. They need to make a movie about Scarfos rise and fall based on Leonettis book. Would be a classic with the right casting.
Stephen Graham as Nicky Scarfo. At 5'5" he's even the right height. Watch this scene and you'll see what I mean -- he'd make a great Scarfo. This is him as Tony Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9TsMA46Eww