Bilotti strongly considered the likely successor of Dellacroce - February 1985

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Nasabeak
Straightened out

Bilotti strongly considered the likely successor of Dellacroce - February 1985

Post by Nasabeak »

I thought this was interesting

In both books and films, the sudden promotion of Tommy Bilotti to Underboss is treated as a shocking, last minute, and totally unexpected move. It, along with the non attendance of the wake, is treated as “the final straw” which signed Paul Castellano’s death warrant.

The above informant report from February of 1985, almost a year before Neil died, cites Bilotti as being the main candidate to replace Neil.

This would mean the idea was well known within the Family long before Neil’s passing in December 1985.

As an aside, interestingly, in Neil’s file, Bilotti is treated in one report as one of the 8 Captains that are under Neil’s purview.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: Bilotti strongly considered the likely successor of Dellacroce - February 1985

Post by johnny_scootch »

Bilotti would have naturally been a perfect fit for Underboss to Castellano but that underboss spot was a representative one and the entire faction that Dellacroce represented almost felt like it belonged to them.
JMAN723
Straightened out

Re: Bilotti strongly considered the likely successor of Dellacroce - February 1985

Post by JMAN723 »

Yeah I think it’s probable. I don’t think Gotti was ever truly considered to succeed Neil like the report says it was just wishful thinking on his part. I mean Paul wouldn’t even name Gotti as official capo if the Bergin crew. Even though he ran the crew I believe technically in title he was the acting capo for a number of years
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Bilotti was Paul's aide de camp and yes man. It's not surprising that with the accession of Paul, Bilotti would join him as his attack dog. Biltotti's star was tied only to Paul's. If the article had said Tommy was viewed as Aneillos successor by a majority of the Capos, THAT would've been shocking.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.