Jerry Blavat passed

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Cheech
Full Patched

Jerry Blavat passed

Post by Cheech »

The geator w the heater. RIP.
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Jerry Blavat passed

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Death just shows the ultimate absurdity of life.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:34 am Death just shows the ultimate absurdity of life.

Pogo
Madame de Stael said, In life, one must choose between boredom and suffering.
All roads lead to New York.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

The geator with the heater. The boss with the hot sauce.

I always thought the whole "mafia disc jockey" thing was weird as hell. Requiescat in pace.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Frankie Flowers accidental protector. RIP.
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Cheech wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:34 am The geator w the heater. RIP.
Thanks Jerry.

;)
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

so who paid the freight for different generations of Blavat's goon friends to drink and swing dance for free at Memories in Margate? Did that place ever make any money? Tourists get stuck with the bill?
jmack
Straightened out

Post by jmack »

newera_212 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:36 pm so who paid the freight for different generations of Blavat's goon friends to drink and swing dance for free at Memories in Margate? Did that place ever make any money? Tourists get stuck with the bill?
I’m sure Jerry did ok with memories. While many guys frequented there, it wasn’t that often. The tourists definitely supplemented any potential losses with connected guys.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am The geator with the heater. The boss with the hot sauce.

I always thought the whole "mafia disc jockey" thing was weird as hell. Requiescat in pace.
His father was a Jewish gangster Louis Blavat who associated with the mob so I assume that's how he got in with these guys originally.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Seem guinely liked by those mob guys. I'm sure it had its benefits
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:51 pm
Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am The geator with the heater. The boss with the hot sauce.

His father was a Jewish gangster Louis Blavat who associated with the mob so I assume that's how he got in with these guys originally.
Didn't know that, thanks. Now someone needs to tell me what the fuck a "geator" is.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

What do you guys think of DelGiorno's comments about Blavat's connections?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:51 pm

Good info, didn’t know that. He “associated” with them, but was he an “associate”? I’ve never quite understood the relationship of other OC groups in Philly to the mob. There were Jewish mobsters, a Greek “mob”, a Polish “mob”. I’ve heard that they all had close connections to LCN, but they don’t seem (based on what little I know) to have been under LCN in the way that their ethnic counterparts were in Chicago. My impression is that they had personal connections and were friendly with mob guys, but maintained some level of autonomy. I’ve wondered exactly what relationships these other guys really had with LCN and if they answered to them at all.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:23 pm Didn't know that, thanks. Now someone needs to tell me what the fuck a "geator" is.
His explanation makes even less sense than you'd imagine:

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-l ... ese-years/
We have to ask: Your nickname is “the Geator with the Heator.” What the heck does that mean?

It happened as an accident. [In the early 1960s] a snowstorm closed down Philadelphia. I take my rock ’n’ roll records to a radio station called WCAN and I start to play my music. I am supposed to be on in an hour, but the snow closes the city, and I get no replacement. So I’m on from 10 to 2:30, 3 in the morning. Kids are surfing the dial, trying to find out if there’s going to be school, and they’re hearing this music. They’re oldies to me, but to these kids it’s new stuff. So my new career began—playing oldies on the radio.

Now, in those days there was “Georgie Woods, the Man With the Goods,” “Jocko, the Ace From Outer Space,” “Joe Niagara, the Rocking Bird.” So I can’t just be Jerry Blavat; I need a name. Then I thought, Wait a second. In Florida, gators stay in the mud, but if you get close to them, they snatch you up. I am at the other end of the dial, and these kids, I snatched them. So that was it. Not alligator, not gator—“the Geator.” Now, what rhymes with geator that makes sense? And I remembered, as a kid standing on the corner freezing, when your buddy would come by in the car and you’d all jump in and say, “Turn your heater up! It’s freezing!” Then a few minutes later, “Turn the heater down—it’s too hot!” When the kids would listen to my show and call in for dedications, I could hear their parents in the background, yelling, “Turn that guy down! He’s crazy!” So I became the Geator with the Heator.
- Alligators snatch people up in Florida, so because Blavat snatches up kids as listeners he decided to call himself not "the gator" but the "geator" for reasons unfuckingknown.

- Because people in cars want the heat turned up and his listeners' parents yelled at them to turn the radio volume down, he decided that he's "the geator with the heater".

You know, a totally logical explanation.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:42 pm
Ivan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:23 pm Didn't know that, thanks. Now someone needs to tell me what the fuck a "geator" is.
His explanation makes even less sense than you'd imagine:

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-l ... ese-years/
We have to ask: Your nickname is “the Geator with the Heator.” What the heck does that mean?

It happened as an accident. [In the early 1960s] a snowstorm closed down Philadelphia. I take my rock ’n’ roll records to a radio station called WCAN and I start to play my music. I am supposed to be on in an hour, but the snow closes the city, and I get no replacement. So I’m on from 10 to 2:30, 3 in the morning. Kids are surfing the dial, trying to find out if there’s going to be school, and they’re hearing this music. They’re oldies to me, but to these kids it’s new stuff. So my new career began—playing oldies on the radio.

Now, in those days there was “Georgie Woods, the Man With the Goods,” “Jocko, the Ace From Outer Space,” “Joe Niagara, the Rocking Bird.” So I can’t just be Jerry Blavat; I need a name. Then I thought, Wait a second. In Florida, gators stay in the mud, but if you get close to them, they snatch you up. I am at the other end of the dial, and these kids, I snatched them. So that was it. Not alligator, not gator—“the Geator.” Now, what rhymes with geator that makes sense? And I remembered, as a kid standing on the corner freezing, when your buddy would come by in the car and you’d all jump in and say, “Turn your heater up! It’s freezing!” Then a few minutes later, “Turn the heater down—it’s too hot!” When the kids would listen to my show and call in for dedications, I could hear their parents in the background, yelling, “Turn that guy down! He’s crazy!” So I became the Geator with the Heator.
- Alligators snatch people up in Florida, so because Blavat snatches up kids as listeners he decided to call himself not "the gator" but the "geator" for reasons unfuckingknown.

- Because people in cars want the heat turned up and his listeners' parents yelled at them to turn the radio volume down, he decided that he's "the geator with the heater".

You know, a totally logical explanation.
This is the best explanation ever. RIP a true legend.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”