Did Scarpa give up Alphonse Persico?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Did Scarpa give up Alphonse Persico?

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I believe Scarpa Sr. was Capo or Acting Capo for a brief period in the early 1969s.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

he'll go to hell even without the girls murder. i wonder why he was never a capo. was it by choice?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

CornerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:04 pm he'll go to hell even without the girls murder. i wonder why he was never a capo. was it by choice?
Yeah absolutely no doubt where he is and I'd bet its pretty hot.

Good question. Tough for him to be a captain of that crew/area as Scappy was a longtime friend and ally of Carmine Persico going all the way back to the Garfield boys street gang in Brooklyn so the snake trusted him as much as he could trust anyone.
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

CornerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:04 pm he'll go to hell even without the girls murder. i wonder why he was never a capo. was it by choice?
I don't know if he was ever taped or cited saying his relegation to 'soldier' was intentional, but Deal with the Devil definitely portrays it as such. Apparently Scarpa Sr. would openly abuse Scarpati in front of other crew members and undermine him. Scarpa also sat in on most big Persico-faction meetings during the Colombo war as a soldier. I believe after Scarpati's arrest he was formally in the crew of Anthony 'Chucky' Russo, correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:33 pm I believe Scarpa Sr. was Capo or Acting Capo for a brief period in the early 1969s.

Pogo
He was an official captain right before Profaci died then placed in Ambrose Magliocco's crew immediately afterward. He was under Magliocco when they held the illegitimate election of Joe Magliocco.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks for this.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

His son Greg Jr. was then an acting captain for the Scarpati crew before Chucky Russo took it over. People always call Scarpa Sr. a captain throughout his life but I've never seen evidence he was promoted again after his 1962 demotion.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

B. wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:42 pm His son Greg Jr. was then an acting captain for the Scarpati crew before Chucky Russo took it over. People always call Scarpa Sr. a captain throughout his life but I've never seen evidence he was promoted again after his 1962 demotion.
Larry Mazza has claimed that he was made in an informal ceremony in the early nineties and that Scarpa was promoted to captain at that time, but I don't know how much stock to put into that.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Nasabeak
Straightened out

Post by Nasabeak »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:33 pm I believe Scarpa Sr. was Capo or Acting Capo for a brief period in the early 1969s.

Pogo
He reported that be was a Capo as of 1961 with ten guys reporting to him; however, around when Joe Profaci died in Dec 1962, he was bumped to Soldier.

Scarpa also said he had been attempting to wind down his activities and essentially retire he was flipped, but, that as an informant he had reignited his active interests in Cosa Nostra (meaning, doing more than essential activities) and would seek advancement up the Family ladder if the FBI wanted him to.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Nasabeak wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:02 pm

Pogo
Scarpa also said he had been attempting to wind down his activities and essentially retire he was flipped, but, that as an informant he had reignited his active interests in Cosa Nostra (meaning, doing more than essential activities) and would seek advancement up the Family ladder if the FBI wanted him to.
Almost undoubtedly a lie/deflection by Scarpa. He did a lot of that.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com