Did Scarpa give up Alphonse Persico?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Did Scarpa give up Alphonse Persico?

Post by NYNighthawk »

I always believed it was Greg Scarpa who gave Devechhio his FBI handler the location of Alphonse Persico. The timing was right - Scarpa was reactivated around 1983-1984 by the FBI as a top echelon informant. I think the FBi hooked up with Amerca's Most wanted to do a show on Alphonse to cover their tracks as Scarpa was probably used as his sole contact with the rest of the family. I remember that show where they had Frank Bender do a cast mold bust of what Alphonse would look like. And then bingo - Alphonse is taken into custody! Should I have been a Detective with that analysis?

Reputed Former Colombo Family Head Arrested In Connecticut
November 9, 1987
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ Alphonse ″Allie Boy″ Persico, the reputed former head of the Colombo organized crime family in New York, was arrested here Monday by the U.S. Marshals Service, federal authorities said.

Persico, a fugitive since 1980 when he failed to appear for sentencing on an extortion conviction in connection with alleged loan sharking activity, was tracked down by U.S. marshals and taken into custody at a West Hartford apartment, said U.S. Attorney Stanley A. Twardy.

Twardy would not reveal where Persico was being held, except to say that he was in Connecticut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Persico, who had been on the FBI’s list of its 10 most-wanted fugitives, is scheduled to appear Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hartford, Twardy said.

″The government will ask that he be held without bond because of his fugitive past,″ Twardy said.

The marshals service said seven deputy U.S. marshals followed a trail of phony identification and aliases to the apartment, where Persico had $7,000 in cash in his possession when he was arrested about 5:30 p.m.

Persico, 57, was the reputed head of the Colombo family before fleeing on June 20, 1980, said Laura Brevetti, assistant attorney-in-charge at the Justice Department’s organized crime strike force offices in Brooklyn, N.Y. Persico’s brother, Carmine, subsequently took over the family leadership position, Brevetti said.

Persico previously had been convicted of murder and served 17 years of a 20-year sentence.

His criminal record dates back to 1949 with charges of assault, murder, fraud, false statements on bank loans, firearms violations, extortion and possession of stolen property.

Considered armed and dangerous, Persico had been known to travel with armed guards.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Re: Did Scarpa give up Alphonse Persico?

Post by CornerBoy »

wouldn't know obviously but seems about right for Scarpa.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

I always thought it was Persicos in law or something like. He called from a pay phone, Fred DeChristopher or some similar sounding name it was
DonnieB
Straightened out

Post by DonnieB »

IIRC Dechristopher gave up carmine when he took up residence in his LI home.
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

DonnieB wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:25 am IIRC Dechristopher gave up carmine when he took up residence in his LI home.
Yes, that is correct DeChristopher turned in Carmine.
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Wild bill grasso from the patriarca family was hiding him out in Connecticut. It's rumored one of grassos guys gave him up and was subsequently whacked I forgot the guys name I think a bookie
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Pmac2 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:13 am Wild bill grasso from the patriarca family was hiding him out in Connecticut. It's rumored one of grassos guys gave him up and was subsequently whacked I forgot the guys name I think a bookie
Yes! This jogged my memory. I remember reading this as well although I can't place it. I wanna say it was in Frank DiMatteos book entitled "Carmine the Snake"
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

that guys info one can take w grain of salt "mr president street"

I think his wife MIGHT be related to Geritanos
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

CornerBoy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:25 pm that guys info one can take w grain of salt "mr president street"
Totally fair and I agree. Honestly, a large portion of the information that one reads dealing with the mafia should be taken with a grain of salt.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

It definitely had something to do with wild bill grass who was hiding him out in some small town in the middle of Connecticut. Some guy literally got killed because he either gave Allie boy up or was blamed for it.
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Pmac2 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:31 pm It definitely had something to do with wild bill grass who was hiding him out in some small town in the middle of Connecticut. Some guy literally got killed because he either gave Allie boy up or was blamed for it.
So did Mary Bari just because she knew where he was
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Greek- i forgot about that. sick fuck.

Was he ever a Capo? i read deal w devil but don't remember. I was just a bit too young to have been around when he was on the streets.

I remember being very young when marvin shot his eye out. RIP joey randazzo.
Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Post by Nurzhamba »

CornerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:50 am Greek- i forgot about that. sick fuck.

Was he ever a Capo? i read deal w devil but don't remember. I was just a bit too young to have been around when he was on the streets.

Hi, Randazzo who died in that shootout was a connected guy?
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Nurzhamba wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:13 am
CornerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:50 am Greek- i forgot about that. sick fuck.

Hi, Randazzo who died in that shootout was a connected guy?
Yeah, he was connected to Joey Schiro (Greg Scarpa's Stepson) and by extension Greg Scarpa.
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

CornerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:50 amWas he ever a Capo? i read deal w devil but don't remember. I was just a bit too young to have been around when he was on the streets.
No, he was never a captain, he was a soldier under Anthony “Scappy” Scarpati, who according to testimony, when the order came down to kill Mary Bari reportedly said, "we are probably going to hell for this."

I remember reading recently that his son Greg Scarpa Jr was a captain however.