General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by B. »

ItzPurpleAki wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:03 pm Is there anymore info about the Scafidi family pre Scarfo? I can’t find anything on Gaetano Scafidi or his brother Joe really.
Those two were coffee boys / associates of associates pre-Scarfo. Their father wasn't a member but his father Sam, uncle Rocco, grandfather Gaetano, great-uncle Joe, and other older relatives were members and leaders of the Sicilian faction who were very close to the Gambino Family. One of the most important clans in the history of Philadelphia. By the time Tommy and Tore Scafidi came up they were around John Melilli and Chuckie Merlino respectively though.

There was a reputable member on the old Real Deal who rarely posted but had a lot of insight. He attended the 1997 trial and had lunch with Snuffy Iannarella afterward who told him Scarfo had a long-term plan for the younger guys. He said Iannarella told him Scarfo had a group of kids picked out he was going to make in the mid-1980s like Tore Scafidi and the other young guys who got made but was going to make Nicky Jr. and Joey Merlino wait and induct them as part of a later phase. Can't remember if he specifically named Tommy Scafidi with the latter group but he was likely part of that plan if what we were told is true... obviously it all fell apart anyway.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:33 pm There was a reputable member on the old Real Deal who rarely posted but had a lot of insight. He attended the 1997 trial and had lunch with Snuffy Iannarella afterward who told him Scarfo had a long-term plan for the younger guys. He said Iannarella told him Scarfo had a group of kids picked out he was going to make in the mid-1980s like Tore Scafidi and the other young guys who got made but was going to make Nicky Jr. and Joey Merlino wait and induct them as part of a later phase. Can't remember if he specifically named Tommy Scafidi with the latter group but he was likely part of that plan if what we were told is true... obviously it all fell apart anyway.
I remember that guy. He said that Chuckie Merlino and Scarfo were palling around at the trial like nothing bad had ever happened between them.

Can you go into more detail about this plan? I missed this.

Wish I knew more about the 1997 trial. Can't really find anything detailed on it.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

There wasn't too much more to it. If I remember right he said Scarfo's plan was to eventually retire full-time in Florida and let guys like Leonetti and Testa run the Family while the other phases of young guys Scarfo picked out would gradually take on more importance. It was apparently Scarfo's long-term plan when he took over.

He specifically said Scarfo had certain young guys singled out to be made before others in what I think he described as "tiers". We do know Scarfo took a special interest in some kids and it was sort of random who he decided to put on hits, induct, etc. This would mean he had some kind of logic behind it and might explain why some people got an earlier push than others, but for all we know it wasn't much more than idle conversation among members after a few glasses of wine. I trust the guy who shared the info at least.

Curious if Leonetti could corroborate it or what his take is.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:30 pm There wasn't too much more to it. If I remember right he said Scarfo's plan was to eventually retire full-time in Florida and let guys like Leonetti and Testa run the Family while the other phases of young guys Scarfo picked out would gradually take on more importance. It was apparently Scarfo's long-term plan when he took over.

He specifically said Scarfo had certain young guys singled out to be made before others in what I think he described as "tiers". We do know Scarfo took a special interest in some kids and it was sort of random who he decided to put on hits, induct, etc. This would mean he had some kind of logic behind it and might explain why some people got an earlier push than others, but for all we know it wasn't much more than idle conversation among members after a few glasses of wine. I trust the guy who shared the info at least.

Curious if Leonetti could corroborate it or what his take is.
Thanks. Are there any detailed rundowns of the 1997 trial anywhere? I can't find anything.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Was Thomas Ciancutti ever above a soldier? i thought i saw someone say he was a skipper, but i cant find it anymore.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

TallGuy19 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 pm Anyone ever heard of Russell Shorto or the Johnstown, PA mob? They were part of the Pittsburgh family, and I'm curious to know who Shorto's brother-in-law "Joe" is. He must have been a made guy who ran that area for Pittsburgh, but I can't find his last name anywhere.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/02/96315839 ... ly-secrets
Joe or Little Joe came from Reggio Calabria & settled in Philly in 1910 with his parents when he was a baby. His fathers name was Mario Regino or sometimes appeared as Regina. His father got a job a few miles north of Johnstown PA causing them to move there. Eventually they moved back to Philly by 1929-1930 & by this time Joe was charged with "Pointing fire arms", "stick up", and "assault and battery" (in that area north of Johnstown). (Small-time p.78-79)

This caused Little Joe to be acquainted with John "Nozzone" (Big Nose) Avena, this is where Joe learned the ways of cosa nostra and how he knew to copy & formulate a version of what he learned and apply it in Johnstown. In 1936 after doing 18 months in jail and by staying silent Little Joe Regino of Johnstown went into business with John LaRocca of Pittsburgh. Each men, John LaRocca and Joe Regino would rule at the top of their respective territories well into the 1980's (Small-time p.80-83)
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

OmarSantista wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:00 pm
TallGuy19 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 pm Anyone ever heard of Russell Shorto or the Johnstown, PA mob? They were part of the Pittsburgh family, and I'm curious to know who Shorto's brother-in-law "Joe" is. He must have been a made guy who ran that area for Pittsburgh, but I can't find his last name anywhere.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/02/96315839 ... ly-secrets
Joe or Little Joe came from Reggio Calabria & settled in Philly in 1910 with his parents when he was a baby. His fathers name was Mario Regino or sometimes appeared as Regina. His father got a job a few miles north of Johnstown PA causing them to move there. Eventually they moved back to Philly by 1929-1930 & by this time Joe was charged with "Pointing fire arms", "stick up", and "assault and battery" (in that area north of Johnstown). (Small-time p.78-79)

This caused Little Joe to be acquainted with John "Nozzone" (Big Nose) Avena, this is where Joe learned the ways of cosa nostra and how he knew to copy & formulate a version of what he learned and apply it in Johnstown. In 1936 after doing 18 months in jail and by staying silent Little Joe Regino of Johnstown went into business with John LaRocca of Pittsburgh. Each men, John LaRocca and Joe Regino would rule at the top of their respective territories well into the 1980's (Small-time p.80-83)
Thanks. I'll look into Joe Regino.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Big slot machine guy.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Anyone know if the people running Patricia’s in Morris Park are connected?

Believe the place is still owned by the Borgognones, who also used to run a bakery in Bay Ridge.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:51 pm Anyone know if the people running Patricia’s in Morris Park are connected?

Believe the place is still owned by the Borgognones, who also used to run a bakery in Bay Ridge.
Calogero Borgognone was a Colombo associate who owned a bakery. He was reprimanded in 2008 for claiming that he was made. Nicknamed Louie Canoli.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

gohnjotti wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:43 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:51 pm Anyone know if the people running Patricia’s in Morris Park are connected?

Calogero Borgognone was a Colombo associate who owned a bakery. He was reprimanded in 2008 for claiming that he was made. Nicknamed Louie Canoli.
That’s what I was wondering, thanks for confirming. I believe his son Alex owns the Morris Park Patricia’s today after relocating to the Bx from Staten Island.

Anyone know if anyone else associated with the restaurant is connected?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Is the "Grand Consul" here talking about the commission? if so, add this to the list of docs listing Cleveland on the commission. Interesting to se Philip Mangano on here too, even though its clearly wrong. (Doc: https://www.archives.gov/files/research ... 561695.pdf )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Nurzhamba wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:09 pm
Nurzhamba wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:13 pm Are the 20th Avenue and Bay Parkway Boyce gangs the same gang? I'm confused, the names of Competiello and Calabro flash in both gangs, which of them obeyed Tommy Gioeli and which of them consisted of the two above?
Calabro was Gioeli’s protege. I think 20th Ave is a different gang, Joe Waverly was a member I believe.
Joe Waverly? by this time he was already established and made man
Youre right Cacace was definitely not a 20th Ave. guy, that's my bad. 20th Ave was Little Dino Saracino and his friends a few blocks away from Bay Parkway.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Does anyone have a date of birth, date of death, and FBI number for Giuseppe Traina? I’m going to do a FOIA on him.
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Sullycantwell wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:06 am Does anyone have a date of birth, date of death, and FBI number for Giuseppe Traina? I’m going to do a FOIA on him.
Had a bit of luck on find a grave. Found Mario's (his son) and there is Giuseppe as well. No month or Days but 1882-1979 it what the headstone says.
6278905_1016673734.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.