General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

funkster
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by funkster »

Colo, where's the indication that's it been folded in?

I'm in the area, I still say some of the Stramaglios are players. They own a shit load of property and Grace is a Cerone.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:36 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:18 pm
Coloboy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 am Anyone read this guys book about street gangs and the outfit?

https://today.uic.edu/criminologist-con ... eet-gangs/

I remember reports on here that Lombardo in particular was meeting with street gang leaders in the late 90s and early 2000s. I can’t remember where that was posted, but I wonder if it was related to this arrangement this author is discussing. Given the details provided about the C notes, it could make sense that Lombardo was involved.
You should definitely read Hagedorn’s book, as, yes, that was the source for a number of posts that I made in the past regarding connections between the Grand Ave crew and the Latin Folks. Hagedorn interviewed two pseudonymous sources who claimed to be made guys in the outfit, who discussed connections to street gangs and drugs.

I also personally knew some of the people mentioned in the book, as I lived through the gang war in the 90s in West Town/Humboldt Park that figures centrally in Hagedorn’s account. FWIW, on the streets back in the day I was always told that the C-Notes were the liaison between the mob and allied Latin Folks organizations such as the Spanish Cobras, which is exactly what Hagedorn claims from his sources.
Given your connections to that area, what are your thoughts on the current grand Avenue crew? Do you think it’s even a standalone group anymore? The only guys I can name off the top of my head are Vena, Spina, and Bobby Dominic. With all of those operation crew cut guys off the street I wonder how active they all are on Grand. I guess I had never heard of the Panozzo‘s until that bust either, so you never know what’s really going on
Honestly, I have no fuckin’ clue what’s happening today.

Almost everyone I know has long since left the neighborhood and all that I’ve heard recently from the few family members I have left over there are that guys who look the part hang out in the back room of the hardware store next to Vinnie’s Subs and at the old HSAC. I have no idea who they are or if they have any real connections. Funkster may know more as he actually lives in the “Patch”.

In terms of organizational stuff today, I’m as clueless as anyone. The recent Cicero info that we’ve discussed on the forum here in the last year or so has impressed upon me that if there is an active Grand Ave crew, for all we know it could be made up of guys that none of us have heard of. As you note, no one had Bobby P on their radar and no idea how absolutely savage and hardcore him and his guys were until they got pinched. As Patrick also reported recently that Christy Spina hangs out at a lounge out on Mannheim, the current guys may not be centered on the Grand Ave Patch anymore; thus if there is a “Grand Ave” crew, that may be more of an historical designation (like the “Brooklyn” crew of the Luccheses being based today in SI).

Regarding Bobby D, Rick’s source IIRC stated that he belongs to Cicero.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:20 pm
Coloboy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 am Anyone read this guys book about street gangs and the outfit?

I remember reports on here that Lombardo in particular was meeting with street gang leaders in the late 90s and early 2000s. I can’t remember where that was posted, but I wonder if it was related to this arrangement this author is discussing. Given the details provided about the C notes, it could make sense that Lombardo was involved.
You should definitely read Hagedorn’s book, as, yes, that was the source for a number of posts that I made in the past regarding connections between the Grand Ave crew and the Latin Folks. Hagedorn interviewed two pseudonymous sources who claimed to be made guys in the outfit, who discussed connections to street gangs and drugs.

I also personally knew some of the people mentioned in the book, as I lived through the gang war in the 90s in West Town/Humboldt Park that figures centrally in Hagedorn’s account. FWIW, on the streets back in the day I was always told that the C-Notes were the liaison between the mob and allied Latin Folks organizations such as the Spanish Cobras, which is exactly what Hagedorn claims from his sources.
Given your connections to that area, what are your thoughts on the current grand Avenue crew? Do you think it’s even a standalone group anymore? The only guys I can name off the top of my head are Vena, Spina, and Bobby Dominic. With all of those operation crew cut guys off the street I wonder how active they all are on Grand. I guess I had never heard of the Panozzo‘s until that bust either, so you never know what’s really going on

Almost everyone I know has long since left the neighborhood and all that I’ve heard recently from the few family members I have left over there are that guys who look the part hang out in the back room of the hardware store next to Vinnie’s Subs and at the old HSAC. I have no idea who they are or if they have any real connections. Funkster may know more as he actually lives in the “Patch”.

In terms of organizational stuff today, I’m as clueless as anyone. The recent Cicero info that we’ve discussed on the forum here in the last year or so has impressed upon me that if there is an active Grand Ave crew, for all we know it could be made up of guys that none of us have heard of. As you note, no one had Bobby P on their radar and no idea how absolutely savage and hardcore him and his guys were until they got pinched. As Patrick also reported recently that Christy Spina hangs out at a lounge out on Mannheim, the current guys may not be centered on the Grand Ave Patch anymore; thus if there is a “Grand Ave” crew, that may be more of an historical designation (like the “Brooklyn” crew of the Luccheses being based today in SI).

I think your idea of "historical designation" is probably accurate with few guys actually living around here now. As for playing the part, I will also add anecdotally I have been at Salerno's and seen large groups of older guys eating in the private room in the back by the bathrooms that definitely look the part lol. The area is trying to maintain its traditional feel of an Italian neighborhood on Grand, albeit at a much lower level. A new market just went in across the street from Bari called Genna Foods, so the desire to stay connected to its roots is still there.

I think someone on here, maybe Patrick, mentioned that Christy Spina lives in the burbs now? Over covid I went to a barber shop that was next to Alderman Burnett's office and one of the mail boxes had "Spina" on it, I presume he owned the building and is still getting mail there.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Anyone know what Nick Boscarino has been up to? He was involved in a lot of land deals years ago but I haven't heard a whisper about him.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:34 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:20 pm

I think your idea of "historical designation" is probably accurate with few guys actually living around here now. As for playing the part, I will also add anecdotally I have been at Salerno's and seen large groups of older guys eating in the private room in the back by the bathrooms that definitely look the part lol. The area is trying to maintain its traditional feel of an Italian neighborhood on Grand, albeit at a much lower level. A new market just went in across the street from Bari called Genna Foods, so the desire to stay connected to its roots is still there.

I think someone on here, maybe Patrick, mentioned that Christy Spina lives in the burbs now? Over covid I went to a barber shop that was next to Alderman Burnett's office and one of the mail boxes had "Spina" on it, I presume he owned the building and is still getting mail there.
Genna Foods?? Uh oh lol.

Haven’t been to Salerno’s in many years. If there is still a Grand Ave crew, even if the guys mainly live in the ‘burbs they would probably still hang out in the old neighborhood at times, though obviously at more low key places than Richard’s. Haven’t been to La Scarola or Bella Notte in years either, wonder if anyone still frequents those joints.

Burnett’s office, huh? Wouldn’t surprise me if Spina had some property down there. If you’re not aware, Joey Lump was connected to corrupt former 27th Ward Alderman Wallace Davis Jr — Lombardo shouted out Davis and his old restaurant Wallace’s Catfish Corner in one of his prison letters. Located on Madison and California near Burnett’s office, Catfish Corner was a major hangout for politically connected people on the black Westside (it also had a serious live blues scene, one of the last hardcore blues joints in Chicago apart from Rosa’s on Armitage). We know that Christy was driving Joey around in the ‘90s, and I believe that Joey used restaurants as meeting places for plausible deniability while on parole (“What, I can’t be blamed if a convicted felon happens to come into a restaurant and strike up a conversation with me”), so I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Catfish Corner was another such place. In 2016, Catfish Corner was shuttered and the property purchased by Pasquale Esposito, a former city worker who owns and manages a bunch of properties in the area via his company, ESPO Group LLC, and who seems to be connected to Burnett.

No idea if Pasquale Esposito is connected, but it is worth looking into (former city employee is already a red flag lol). One of the Taylor St/Cicero crew guys who the Lucchese associate I’ve mentioned before worked with while he was in Chicago for years in the 90s/early 2000s was a Cuono Esposito. As Esposito is of course a very common surname, I’m not 100% sure yet, but I actually see something that indicates that Pasquale Esposito grew up on Taylor St and was possibly related to a Cuono Esposito who might be the same guy.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Spina owns so much property he probably has couple of places he hangs his hat. He is always in the Norridge area including the club he owns on Cumberland and also the gambling cafe next to it which has some interesting people that have gone there in the recent past including Deleo and Blago. I’m almost positive he still has a place in the old neighborhood and somewhere close to Norridge. I heard from a reliable source that he still goes to the hardware store on grand ave to shoot the shit with people.

Talking about grand ave, isn’t Kong Cullota still alive? He is not the barber brother of Frank Cullota despite the rumors at one time that he was the same guy. Same name different guy. There are a lot of grand ave guys that popped up in the last 10 years that nobody heard of. Who ever heard of Chuckie Russell and Steve Mandell as being Outfit guys? Lol. Take it they are out of the picture now but they did some heavy work for sure. Paulie K is out of jail now but I’m sure he Is going to keep a low profile until he is off of probation whenever that is. Grand ave has definitely got the most attention in the last 10’years. I will say that a retired Outfit associate told me recently that Vena is the boss running the show. Take that for what it is but it would not surprise me if it was true. I believe that there are younger guys from what I been told that are involved that are not known by the public and you won’t hear about them until they are busted. That’s just the way it goes these days. Some of the names I heard are guys I never heard of. The days of outfit guys being like celebrities in the newspapers and everyone knowing who they are is over
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

cavita wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:18 pm Anyone know what Nick Boscarino has been up to? He was involved in a lot of land deals years ago but I haven't heard a whisper about him.
Still involved in land deals and other business ventures. He’s a millionaire. Last I heard from him he was involved in a court case against that Lewis Borsellino, the son of murdered outfit soldier Tony Borsellino, who owed him money on a business venture.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:39 pm Spina owns so much property he probably has couple of places he hangs his hat. He is always in the Norridge area including the club he owns on Cumberland and also the gambling cafe next to it which has some interesting people that have gone there in the recent past including Deleo and Blago. I’m almost positive he still has a place in the old neighborhood and somewhere close to Norridge. I heard from a reliable source that he still goes to the hardware store on grand ave to shoot the shit with people.

Talking about grand ave, isn’t Kong Cullota still alive? He is not the barber brother of Frank Cullota despite the rumors at one time that he was the same guy. Same name different guy. There are a lot of grand ave guys that popped up in the last 10 years that nobody heard of. Who ever heard of Chuckie Russell and Steve Mandell as being Outfit guys? Lol. Take it they are out of the picture now but they did some heavy work for sure. Paulie K is out of jail now but I’m sure he Is going to keep a low profile until he is off of probation whenever that is. Grand ave has definitely got the most attention in the last 10’years. I will say that a retired Outfit associate told me recently that Vena is the boss running the show. Take that for what it is but it would not surprise me if it was true. I believe that there are younger guys from what I been told that are involved that are not known by the public and you won’t hear about them until they are busted. That’s just the way it goes these days. Some of the names I heard are guys I never heard of. The days of outfit guys being like celebrities in the newspapers and everyone knowing who they are is over
I’ve had relatives tell me several times that they see guys hanging out in the back of the hardware store all the time; if Spina goes there, that could be something.

Last I checked, which was about a year ago, Spina’s address of record seemed to have been his condo in River North, but who knows if he really lives there or just uses it as a pad when he’s in the city.

Thanks for the other info. Not surprising that you’d have heard names of younger guys that none of us are aware of; that’s what I’d expect today.

That Joe Kong Cullotta stuff has gone back and forth so many times I forget what the conclusion was. Some people maintain that he indeed is Frank’s brother, while others claim he’s a different guy. There was even confusion as to whether he was actually Cullotta or Calato.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:50 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:39 pm Spina owns so much property he probably has couple of places he hangs his hat. He is always in the Norridge area including the club he owns on Cumberland and also the gambling cafe next to it which has some interesting people that have gone there in the recent past including Deleo and Blago. I’m almost positive he still has a place in the old neighborhood and somewhere close to Norridge. I heard from a reliable source that he still goes to the hardware store on grand ave to shoot the shit with people.

I’ve had relatives tell me several times that they see guys hanging out in the back of the hardware store all the time; if Spina goes there, that could be something.

Last I checked, which was about a year ago, Spina’s address of record seemed to have been his condo in River North, but who knows if he really lives there or just uses it as a pad when he’s in the city.

Thanks for the other info. Not surprising that you’d have heard names of younger guys that none of us are aware of; that’s what I’d expect today.

That Joe Kong Cullotta stuff has gone back and forth so many times I forget what the conclusion was. Some people maintain that he indeed is Frank’s brother, while others claim he’s a different guy. There was even confusion as to whether he was actually Cullotta or Calato.
I remember reading for the states attorney website they called the ppl that Panozzo worked with the "Panozzo-Koroluk Street Crew (P-K Street Crew)"
Does that mean that there is more to this group then just them and what they got arrested for?
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:50 pm

That's now both of you confirming that the hardware store seems to be a meeting place, I will have to check it out one of these days.

As I recall the house that Koruluk lives in west of ashland has a sign that says, "Run by PK properties"...
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

FWIW, Fosco said that "Joe Kong" was Joseph Calato (although he spelled it Cullatto) and said that Frank's brother was a barber.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 pm FWIW, Fosco said that "Joe Kong" was Joseph Calato (although he spelled it Cullatto) and said that Frank's brother was a barber.
Thanks, I forgot who said what as I haven’t thought about Joe Kong in a bit.

Fosco said that it’s spelled “Cullatto” while another poster (“NONAME”) claimed that it was “Calato”.

The parents of Frank Cullotta’s dad Joseph Cullotta were from Cefalù, and the original spelling is “Culotta” (the spelling with two Ls was a mistake that came after arriving in Chicago). There were, however, “Cullattos” from Altavilla Milicia in Chicago. There were also a bunch of Calatos who came to Chicago from Vicari (hometown of Dom Nuccio, Frank Orlando, and some early mafiosi). So either surname would be possible.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:39 pm
Snakes wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 pm FWIW, Fosco said that "Joe Kong" was Joseph Calato (although he spelled it Cullatto) and said that Frank's brother was a barber.

Fosco said that it’s spelled “Cullatto” while another poster (“NONAME”) claimed that it was “Calato”.

The parents of Frank Cullotta’s dad Joseph Cullotta were from Cefalù, and the original spelling is “Culotta” (the spelling with two Ls was a mistake that came after arriving in Chicago). There were, however, “Cullattos” from Altavilla Milicia in Chicago. There were also a bunch of Calatos who came to Chicago from Vicari (hometown of Dom Nuccio, Frank Orlando, and some early mafiosi). So either surname would be possible.
Joe Calato is/was definitely a real ​Outfit guy. I think he is the same as Joe Kong, but his birthdate doesn't match what the CCC had for Joe Kong "Cullotta." Do you know Frank's brother's age or birth date by any chance, Tony?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:46 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:39 pm

Joe Calato is/was definitely a real ​Outfit guy. I think he is the same as Joe Kong, but his birthdate doesn't match what the CCC had for Joe Kong "Cullotta." Do you know Frank's brother's age or birth date by any chance, Tony?
Yeah, the Joe Calato busted with DiVarco and Ronnie Ignoffo. That guy was born ~1950 and was from River Forest. He now lives in Melrose Park. Interestingly, he seems to be connected to Gina Nardiello, the mother of John Amabile of recent gambling notoriety (her dad, the late “Boston Joe” Nardiello, ran my old local beef stand “Joe Boston’s” at Chicago and Grand, IIRC).

Frank’s brother Joe Cullotta was born 1947-48. He may have been the same Joe Cullotta busted for armed robbery in 1966 and for an armed standoff with CPD in 1980, though I’m not 100% positive.

What age did the CCC give for Joe Kong again?