Visiting Buffalo 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Visiting Buffalo 1963

Post by B. »

Stefano's brother Gaspare Magaddino was a Buffalo member but long dead by 1963. The cousin Peter might have already been with the Bonannos by then, as his relationship had already soured with Stefano, but not sure.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

This is really fascinating guys - longtime North Buffalo resident here. What happened to Peter Maggadino the son of Stefano? Did he just operate the funeral home and essentially retire when his father fell out of favor? He was married to a Montana and had quite a bit of influence just in that - always curious what ended up happening to him.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

In 1968 a significant faction in the Family voted to remove Stefano as boss and from that point on they descended into factionalism that stretched into the 1980s. Joe DiCarlo and Joe Pieri moved back to Buffalo in the late 1960s and backed Sam Pieri.

Utica continued to recognize the Magaddino faction (Niagara Falls) but Rochester attempted to form their own "Family" and Buffalo had its own group with de facto bosses that further splintered in the 1970s into two or three separate factions of its own. In the late 1970s the Niagara Falls, Buffalo, and Rochester groups were all claiming to have their own boss.

I believe the Commission still recognized Stefano until his death but his people, including his son, lost considerable influence.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Peters son Joe, is a lawyer in Florida and does well
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another confirmed member was Joseph "Chicago Joe" Sciales who was in the decina of Roy Carlisi.

Born in Palazzo Adriano in 1908, lived in Chicago into the mid-1930s, then ended up in Buffalo but was buried in Chicago. His mother was Fortunata Schiro and father was Giovanni Sciales.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

These Chicago/Buffalo guys were privileged, in that they didn’t even have to change their accent when they moved lol.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Something interesting too with Sciales's mother being a Schiro is that Bonanno member Tony Canzoneri's mother was a Schiro from Palazzo and they lived in Illinois before NY. Sciales was at least Arberesh like him.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:07 am These Chicago/Buffalo guys were privileged, in that they didn’t even have to change their accent when they moved lol.
Totally different accents
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Newyorkempire wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:25 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:07 am These Chicago/Buffalo guys were privileged, in that they didn’t even have to change their accent when they moved lol.
Nah, they’re eerily similar. Chicago was originally settled by people from Upstate NY. I’ve met people from Buffalo (and Rochester) who I would’ve swore on my mother were Chicagoans. It’s not just me saying it. Linguists class both cities as having the same “Inland Northern” accent.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:46 am
Nah, they’re eerily similar. Chicago was originally settled by people from Upstate NY. I’ve met people from Buffalo (and Rochester) who I would’ve swore on my mother were Chicagoans. It’s not just me saying it. Linguists class both cities as having the same “Inland Northern” accent.
Nah. They arent same at all. Tons of nuances. Maybe it was the same a long time ago. Ive lived in Buffalo many many years. Been to Chicago many times and they are different if you pay attention. Same with Rochester/Syracuse. Not sure about detroit. Regardless what "linguists" say
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Newyorkempire wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:06 am
Nah. They arent same at all. Tons of nuances. Maybe it was the same a long time ago. Ive lived in Buffalo many many years. Been to Chicago many times and they are different if you pay attention. Same with Rochester/Syracuse. Not sure about detroit. Regardless what "linguists" say
https://www.wbfo.org/heritage-moments/2 ... ?_amp=true
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:18 am
The article sounds like a 1920s analysis.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/buffalo ... ken-3.html

Goes in to much greater detail from people who actually live in these places.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Newyorkempire wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:22 am

It’s not a 1920s analysis. Carl Paladino could have stepped right out of Melrose Park. Labov’s work was done in the 70s, when regional accents like this were stronger, but they obviously haven’t changed since then to the point that they are “totally different”.

I’m also someone who has “lived in these places”. I’m a native Chicagoan and have travelled extensively in Upstate NY. Even Syracuse sounds a lot like Chicago. Interacting with “white ethnic” working class types (middle class and transplants often have much weaker accents) I’ve noticed the obvious similarities for years before I was aware that it was rooted in historic migration patterns. I’ve also known people from Buffalo who fully agree with me.

City-data posts mean little. There are also people online who swear that people in Brooklyn and the Bronx have different accents, which is horseshit.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:40 am

It’s not a 1920s analysis. Carl Paladino could have stepped right out of Melrose Park. Labov’s work was done in the 70s, when regional accents like this were stronger, but they obviously haven’t changed since then to the point that they are “totally different”.

I’m also someone who has “lived in these places”. I’m a native Chicagoan and have travelled extensively in Upstate NY. Even Syracuse sounds a lot like Chicago. Interacting with “white ethnic” working class types (middle class and transplants often have much weaker accents) I’ve noticed the obvious similarities for years before I was aware that it was rooted in historic migration patterns. I’ve also known people from Buffalo who fully agree with me.

City-data posts mean little. There are also people online who swear that people in Brooklyn and the Bronx have different accents, which is horseshit.
Totally disagree. Syracuse moreso than anywhere listed sounds NOTHING like Chicago or Buffalo. Paladino definitely doesnt sound like hes from Chicago in my opinion. Met him many times and seen interviews. The migration youre referring to may hold weight in the Erie Canal era.

City Data is a forum just like this one that has people exchanging there experiences, in this case about accents.

Heres a mafia example/comparison. Listen to the Calabrese interview with Franzese, thats Chicago. Then listen to Barstool's interview with Todaro, thats Buffalo.

Bringing this back to 1963 Buffalo, maybe back then they were the same accents but definitely not now and not what I hear every day.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Newyorkempire wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:50 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:40 am

Totally disagree. Syracuse moreso than anywhere listed sounds NOTHING like Chicago or Buffalo. Paladino definitely doesnt sound like hes from Chicago in my opinion. Met him many times and seen interviews. The migration youre referring to may hold weight in the Erie Canal era.

City Data is a forum just like this one that has people exchanging there experiences, in this case about accents.

Heres a mafia example/comparison. Listen to the Calabrese interview with Franzese, thats Chicago. Then listen to Barstool's interview with Todaro, thats Buffalo.

Bringing this back to 1963 Buffalo, maybe back then they were the same accents but definitely not now and not what I hear every day.
We can agree to disagree.

We can agree that for Roy Carlisi, it was almost certainly the same accent. :mrgreen: