https://mafiainaustralia.wordpress.com/

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Re: Mafia Down Under Discussion

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Winchester over saw a “controlled grow” operation, after being approached by a disgruntled connected guy who named names and helped organise the operation. Basically they allowed a “king-crop” of bud. Through a murky series of events, the crop was actually sold, the mobsters got their money, and when they charged, the mobsters got off. Al Grassby, the famously mobbed up politician intervened. It was a massive cluster fuck that seriously tarnished Winchester’s reputation.

Anyway, that was in the 80s with Operation Seville. In 1989, he was shot outside his house. David Eastman, another disgruntled public servant, was charged and convicted of the murder in 1995. In 2014, the conviction was overturned.

There’s more to the murder, and there’s lots of intrigue surrounding it. I hope to get a good scope of it in my next blog post.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

With the info given about the Mole and the Sheperds, also out of Sergi's book in the Herald Sun I think it was a few months back, surely there will be more on Winchester in public media soon....
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

I’m working on an article about the Winchester murder at the moment and hope to get it posted before the new year.
Just fwiw, I came across some interesting information I had basically forgotten.
In 1989, the man identified as the former boss of the Canberra ‘ndrine, Pasquale Barbaro aka “Il Principal”, was giving information to the Queensland Police following the series of events that ended with him being expelled. This came from the controversial controlled crops in Bungendore, the Woodward Royal Commission where Tizzoni lifted the lid on Griffith and Canberra , and Barbaro leaving his wife (at this stage i believe she was a Cataranziti, but I’m still working on that one) and the subsequent attempts on his life.

Anyway, in an interview with the NCA in 1989, Barbaro claimed there were 3000 “ndranghisti in the country. He also made the statement that if authorities were to round up and arrest about 40 key members, the ‘ndrangheta in Australia would collapse.

It’s interesting considering we’ve lately been debating the AFP statement regarding the “5000” number.

I’ve been in contact with several authors and journalists lately. What’s interesting is that most of the journalists who write for either the Herald Sun or the Telegraph agree that the 5000 figure is an exaggeration that includes non-Italian distribution networks. However, there’s an author that had written several books on the subject that whole heartedly believes that the 5000 figure is accurate.

I’m starting to question it again. I mean, it’s interesting that 30 years ago, Barbaro gave that number of 3000. This is the guy that would be murdered a year after these interviews, ostensibly for leaving his well connected wife and bringing dishonour on his family, but i think mostly because it was known by then that he was cooperating.

In any case, with all the recent articles about Winchester, it’s pretty obvious there’s more to it, especially considering that Eastman has been exonerated. Something to keep an eye on.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

calabrianwatch wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:54 am I thought the Shepard was the guy Bruno Musitano, if I understood correctly what Sergi says in her book about Winchester?
Revisiting this point, while I have seen info mentioning the Commissos, I see that there’s weight in the “Shepard/s” being Musitano. I’m reviewing the provided sources, having finally read Chasing the Mafia (easily in my top 3 publications on the Calabrian-Australian dynamics), and I can see that you’re likely right on this.
Having recently been in contact with Dr Sergi, I can appreciate a point she made on the murky, convoluted nature of this research.
Often, the only point of differentiation we have is birthdates.

Also, she’s established that “Il Principale”, Pasquale Barbaro (28/11/31) married a sister of “Little Trees” Francesco Barbaro (08/09/37). With two of Barbaros brothers marrying two of Tony Sergi’s (29/10/35) sisters, it really highlights the links between Griffith and Canberra ‘ndrina, and given the geographical aspects, I’d wonder of the two groups were part of the same locale’.
Fuck man, there’s such morbid irony in Tony Sergi’s life. He made literal millions off his two most popular wine brands, Gossips and Rumours. I literally see one of my Aunts with a bottle of Gossips at most family gatherings (everyone has that one Aunt, right?).
The irony in the names comes from the fact that he was alleged to be involved in several murders, came to be known as an early z major financier of massive weed crops, was a close associate of Aussie Bob Trimbole (he apparently changed it from Trimboli) and in his early days, stole a stack of blank birth certificates and bribed a local journalist into not reporting on it. An author i know says that the Griffith ‘ndrine always has a “boss” and a “street boss”, the former managing the macrof operations, the latter dealing with the rank and file and distribution networks. For many years, it was Winery Tony and Aussie Bob. Tony led a charmed life, and despite all the allegations, died a millionaire without ever serving a day in custody.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

calabrianwatch wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:06 am With the info given about the Mole and the Sheperds, also out of Sergi's book in the Herald Sun I think it was a few months back, surely there will be more on Winchester in public media soon....
Dr Sergi mentioned that she’d been contacted to speak on the matter, and that there’s something in the works for the new year. She apparently couldn’t say much more about it, but I’m confident it will be a fascinating take.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

FINALLY finished Part 8 of my series on the ‘ndrangheta in Australia, Calabrians in Canberra. Links below, check it out if you’re interested.

An author I’m in contact with mentioned there’s been some developments following the Operation Ironside announcements last June. Apparently as a result of the operation, there’s been some examination of wealth bases in Griffith that could lead to prosecutions. And a media production has apparently photocopied some of the sealed findings presented on the David Eastman murder conviction relating to the Winchester murder that is the main focus of my latest article.

It’ll be interesting to see what’s coming down the pipeline.

Thanks guys.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

MickeyMeatballs wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:29 am FINALLY finished Part 8 of my series on the ‘ndrangheta in Australia, Calabrians in Canberra. Links below, check it out if you’re interested.

An author I’m in contact with mentioned there’s been some developments following the Operation Ironside announcements last June. Apparently as a result of the operation, there’s been some examination of wealth bases in Griffith that could lead to prosecutions. And a media production has apparently photocopied some of the sealed findings presented on the David Eastman murder conviction relating to the Winchester murder that is the main focus of my latest article.

It’ll be interesting to see what’s coming down the pipeline.

Thanks guys.
Incredible article Mickey. I think Carmine Verduci was one of the most interesting guys of the 'ndrangheta in Australia.

On another note, you will not believe me, but I never knew that Pasquale/Frank Yoogali/Antonio were brothers. I knew they were relatives obivously but not brothers. The Barbaro/Sergi family tree is nuts
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

I think you mean Giuseppe yeah? Carmine was the Canadian mobster. Definitely an interesting guy, hopefully when the Martin findings are unsealed and/or released there will be more information available on his role. I find it so telling that even after having been granted immunity, he refused to name anyone in court.

Yeah, the four brothers Pasquale, No-Bill Tony, Yoogali Frank and Rocco were from a different branch of the Barbaro family than Little Trees, who I think was actually more of a power than many originally thought. I don’t think the links between Calabria and Australia were known to be as solid as we now know.

Thank you Motorfab.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Yes, Giuseppe not Carmine. I read definitely too much things on Canada and Australia at the same time, my bad.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Sydney Morning Herald article on the arrest of Antonio Strangio in Bali on February 2nd. He was on holiday when interpol arrested him. He had been living in Australia since 2015 when he left Calabria facing charged of drug trafficking charges.

The Sydney Morning Herald

‘Extraordinary results’: Australian man, linked to Calabrese mafia, arrested in Bali
By Chris Barrett, Amilia Rosa and Pat Stringa
February 9, 2023 — 9.36am
Singapore/Denpasar: An Australian man originally from Italy’s Calabria region has been apprehended in Bali, in a police operation praised by Italy’s prime minister.

Antonio Strangio, 32, is wanted by Italian police over the sale of 160 kilograms of marijuana but had evaded their grasp in the seven years since an Interpol red notice global alert was issued for his arrest.

Australian-Italian dual citizen Antonio Strangio, 32, is pictured being transferred by police in Bali on Wednesday.
Australian-Italian dual citizen Antonio Strangio, 32, is pictured being transferred by police in Bali on Wednesday. AMILIA ROSA
He is now facing extradition to Rome after being detained by immigration officers as he arrived at Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport last week and could face as long as 30 years in prison in Italy if found guilty.

Police in the southern Italian region of Reggio Calabria had been searching for Strangio for seven years, as part of the anti-mafia project, and had known of his whereabouts for some time, according to Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

Strangio, an alleged member of the Calabrese crime syndicate ’ndrangheta, had been warned by Italian police he was being watched, the newspaper reported.

Italy’s far-right PM Georgia Meloni has reportedly praised the series of arrests.
Italy’s far-right PM Georgia Meloni has reportedly praised the series of arrests. BLOOMBERG
“But once he made his first false step, the member of ’ndrangheta...had fallen.”

La Repubblica reported that Strangio had felt “protected” by his Australian citizenship. Italian police are investigating why he went to Bali.

Strangio had been on the run since 2016, after a police operation Eclissi 2 began.

“The operation revealed an important distribution channel for marijuana in the area, but also the clan/family’s infiltration in all the economic and commercial activities...an infiltration only made possible by relationships with local politics and administrations,” according to the newspaper.

His arrest followed the apprehension of Edgardo Greco, known as the ‘chef of ‘ndrangheta’ who was wanted for two homicides, in St Etienne in France, Italian media reported.

Italian prime minister Georgia Meloni said the arrest of Strangio was the third arrest in a few days of ’ndrangheta members, after Greco who had been in hiding for 17 years and Matteo Messina Denaro. She congratulated the police, law enforcement and intelligence forces for their “extraordinary results”.

Born in Reggio Calabria in southern Italy, Strangio is an Australian citizen by descent who had been living in Australia since 2015.

He had applied for and been granted citizenship in 2011 and was travelling on an Australian passport when he was captured, Indonesian police said on Wednesday.

Italian police had accused him of being involved in the purchase and intent to sell the marijuana in San Ferdinando, a coastal city in the Calabria region, in June 2014.

An arrest warrant on a charge of drugs association was issued for him by a magistrate in Reggio Calabria on June 23, 2015.

“He has been cooperative since he was detained. He admitted that it was his photo and his identity [in the red notice] but he denied his involvement with the sale of 160kg of marijuana,” said Ni Luh Kompiang Srinadi, a chief of Bali police’s general crime unit.

“He doesn’t understand why there’s a red notice out for him. He denied committing any crime in Italy when questioned by Bali police.”

Police said Strangio worked in construction in Adelaide and his address was listed at Norton Summit in the Adelaide Hills.

“He was holidaying in Bangkok [and] when he returned he transited via Malaysia and Bali,” Srinadi said. “He was to depart back to Australia when the 24/7 Interpol system picked him up and he was arrested at immigration before he entered Indonesia.”

Strangio had landed in Bali on a Batik Air flight from Kuala Lumpur.

He wasn’t paraded by police, as is customary, at a press conference held in Denpasar on Wednesday because he is not accused of committing any offences in Indonesia but he was transferred to an interrogation room as officers announced his capture to reporters.

Stefanus Satake Bayu Setianto, a spokesman for Bali police, said Strangio was being held for an initial 20 days by Bali police after being apprehended on February 2.

“We have contacted Interpol in Jakarta waiting for further instructions, for extradition or a pick-up by Italian police,” he said.

Strangio has no avenue in Indonesia to contest his arrest.

“There is no legal recourse in Indonesia for Antonio to fight his Interpol arrest,” said Gede Nusantara, the lawyer representing him in Bali. “He can’t fight his arrest in Indonesian court.”

Officials from the Australian consulate-general in Denpasar arrived at Bali police headquarters on Wednesday afternoon.

A spokesman for the Australian Federal Police said the arrest of Strangio was “a matter for authorities in Italy and Indonesia”.

The Sydney Morning Herald
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

Yes, as an Australian citizen the red notice by interpol cannot be actioned upon for purposes of extradition. (different would have been if he was sentenced/convicted and not just 'wanted')
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I believe I started this thread years ago. Have not looked or visited in an ages. Aussie calabrian OC is argued to have a starting point in the 1930s. I am highly skeptical of that and believe it would go back further possibly to the 1880s but no later than the 1900s. That would fit with immigration patterns. I'm not trying to be a Johnny come lately to a country I know nothing about so I'm just humbly sharing that.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Angelo Santino wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:01 am I believe I started this thread years ago. Have not looked or visited in an ages. Aussie calabrian OC is argued to have a starting point in the 1930s. I am highly skeptical of that and believe it would go back further possibly to the 1880s but no later than the 1900s. That would fit with immigration patterns. I'm not trying to be a Johnny come lately to a country I know nothing about so I'm just humbly sharing that.
According to most of Austrlian historians, first mafiosi from Calabria came in Australia circa 1922 (Angelo Macri, Antonio Barbara, and Giuseppe Bueti)
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Actually, it’s funny you raise this as it’s something I’ve been considering lately. Isn’t it funny how the “birth” of the Australian mafia involves 3 men (read: knights) who arrived in a foreign land and went three different ways to birth different branches of essentially the same thing?
While there are records that show the three men arriving on the Re D’ Italia in Fremantle in 1922, it’s interesting how this story is almost analogous to the legend of the three Spanish knights.
After you first asked the question all those years ago, it had gotten me to wondering. These arrivals coincide with the first reported instances of mafia-type activities (extortionate practices on Italian enclaves, immigration rackets, price-fixing at fruit and veg markets, etc).

I’ve reflected on your question since you first asked it. Dr Sergi has mentioned that she too suspects that there was activity before 1922. It’s proving it that seems difficult. There are no accounts of people speaking out until the ‘30s, when the “Black Hand” menace in the cane-fields became widely reported on. When I have time later I will find and link the articles in the National Archives that talk about it; they all date from 1928 i the earliest cases, iirc.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Pursuant to the above comments, I’ve been perusing some of the archives and the earliest mention I’ve found yet is from a confidential informant who claims that as a cane-cutter in rural Queensland, he first became aware of “Black Hand” activities in the community in the years 1922 to 1925. This lines up with the “legend”, as it were. I’ll keep looking, because in truth I’m coming around more to the idea that there must have been some presence prior to 1922. Like I said, it’s proving it that seems difficult.