New LCNBios posts

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: New LCNBios posts

Post by thekiduknow »

Whats interesting is that Adamo stated on his naturalization petition that he was born in Poggioreale, which is what is stated on the manifest when he and his mother arrived in the US. Not sure where JD got that he was born in Santa Margherita di Belice, maybe the actual birth record? His father was from Santa Margherita di Belice, and mother from Poggioreale.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

thekiduknow wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:12 pm Whats interesting is that Adamo stated on his naturalization petition that he was born in Poggioreale, which is what is stated on the manifest when he and his mother arrived in the US. Not sure where JD got that he was born in Santa Margherita di Belice, maybe the actual birth record? His father was from Santa Margherita di Belice, and mother from Poggioreale.
You're right, of course, regarding both Nino and his parents. The birth records for both Poggioreale and Santa Margherita in 1910 are not online, so I wasn't able to verify directly, but all of Nino Adamo's records state that he was born in Poggioreale.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:05 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:12 pm Whats interesting is that Adamo stated on his naturalization petition that he was born in Poggioreale, which is what is stated on the manifest when he and his mother arrived in the US. Not sure where JD got that he was born in Santa Margherita di Belice, maybe the actual birth record? His father was from Santa Margherita di Belice, and mother from Poggioreale.
You're right, of course, regarding both Nino and his parents. The birth records for both Poggioreale and Santa Margherita in 1910 are not online, so I wasn't able to verify directly, but all of Nino Adamo's records state that he was born in Poggioreale.
Doesn't seem like it was a typo, as he writes that after Adamo's birth the family moved to Poggioreale from Santa Margherita before going to the US. Not sure what to make of it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

thekiduknow wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:21 pm
Doesn't seem like it was a typo, as he writes that after Adamo's birth the family moved to Poggioreale from Santa Margherita before going to the US. Not sure what to make of it.
Calogero Adamo did state that both his birthplace and last residence were in “Gergenti” (which on his ww2 draft card he specified as Santa Margherita) but I’m not sure what other sources of info JD has for them. As you’ve seen, the 1913 arrival manifest for Maria Sparacino and Nino Adamo give their last residence as well as place of birth as Poggioreale, so any residence prior to that was obviously not recorded anywhere that I can see. Maybe he was able to confirm via Nino’s birth record, though I haven’t been able to find it available (not sure offhand if it’s just not online or if the records themselves were damaged. The ‘68 earthquake I’d presume could’ve destroyed some vital records in these towns).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:29 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:21 pm
Calogero Adamo did state that both his birthplace and last residence were in “Gergenti” (which on his ww2 draft card he specified as Santa Margherita) but I’m not sure what other sources of info JD has for them. As you’ve seen, the 1913 arrival manifest for Maria Sparacino and Nino Adamo give their last residence as well as place of birth as Poggioreale, so any residence prior to that was obviously not recorded anywhere that I can see. Maybe he was able to confirm via Nino’s birth record, though I haven’t been able to find it available (not sure offhand if it’s just not online or if the records themselves were damaged. The ‘68 earthquake I’d presume could’ve destroyed some vital records in these towns).
As soon as I posted, I remembered that Adamo was interviewed regarding his relationship to John Bonventre. He told the FBI he was born in Santa Margherita di Belice, so that's where he got it from. I think I'd lean more towards Poggioreale, given the manifest and the naturalization form although I'm not sure why he'd say Santa Margherita to the FBI.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Poggioreale and Santa Margherita are walking distance right next to each other so maybe he didn't know exactly which one he was born in. On his naturalization the father Calogero says his wife was born in "Reale, Gergenti" [sic]. Were the provincial lines redrawn down there and Poggioreale was in Agrigento like how Camporeale used to be in Trapani? Not that it makes much of a difference.

Calogero's naturalization was witnessed by Lorenzo Giacobbe from Ribera who Rotondo ID'd as an early Manhattan DeCavalcante captain, so the Agrigento association is strong. Giacobbe's cousin Emanuele was made in Ribera and Lorenzo's nephew was Phil Bacino of Chicago whose brother was a high-ranking Ribera member. JD said too Nino and Joseph Adamo were officers of Domenico Arcuri's social club and Joe Adamo was suspected by the FBI of being a member of the Arcuri decina at one point. That club was a portal to Agrigento for different Families.

With Nick Campagna coming from Prizzi, should be mentioned Tony Canzoneri's family was from Palazzo Adriano but they had relatives in Prizzi. His mother had an uncle named Nicolo Schiro but wasn't the Bonanno boss though Roccamena was tapped into these same towns and they were Arbereshe like the boss. A Canzoneri relative said Tony's father was known as "Don Giorgio" and I suspect he was a mafioso as I don't think Tony fell into Bonanno membership randomly while his family bounced between Louisiana, Southern Illinois, Brooklyn, and Upstate New York and he was busy training and winning championships. There were several important Palazzese mafia surnames in his immediate family like Giambrone, Masaracchia, and Parrino that produced members around the US and in Palazzo Adriano. They were probably related to Bonanno member Ciro Gallo too.

When Nick Campagna lived in Colorado it was a town called Delagua that no longer exists. It's north of Trinidad where Tony Canzoneri's great-uncle lived before NYS.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Updated with Lucchese Family Deaths, 1958-1975.

https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/11/lu ... -1975.html
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Sciandra: Sciandra has used George Feinberg, aka George Foerster, to operate a New York City based-sports and numbers bookmaking venture.
Sciandra has also been active in the sale of counterfeit goods per the 1990 PA Crime Commission

Fratello: Fratello was involved in narcotics trafficking (cocaine) and loansharking prior to his 1985 conviction on homicide charges. Prior to his arrest, he operated The Seminar Lounge in Pompano Beach, FL.

The Bufalino Family, like other LCN Families, maintained a territory and demanded "tribute" from other LCN groups operating in their territory. An
example of Bufalino's strength in exacting this tribute was revealed in an intercepted conversation between Salvatore Avellino, a member of the
Lucchese LCN Family, and Salvatore Santoro, then the underboss of that Family. The conversation referred to Mike Pappadio, a brother of Andimo
Pappadio (deceased), who was formerly a ranking member of the Lucchese LCN Family.

SANTORO: "Russell Bufalino, you know Russell Bufalino, well, Mikey went out there, there was nothing, and Mikey Pappadio, he started to create things out in Pennsylvania, out in the fucking coal mines you hear. And this Russell Bufalino started to come forward, you know, like, this is my stomping grounds, you come from New York, you know, so they were giving him a little piece of this.'
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Frank Cannone, formerly of 1615 Newell Road, Endicott, NY. Cannone reported to Anthony Guarnieri. Unlike most LCN members, Cannone has hands-on involvement in sports bookmaking. During the early 1980s, Cannone operated in the Greater New York City area, and more recently, his operations have been centered in the Binghamton, NY, area. Cannone has accepted layoff action from other Binghamton area bookmakers, inclu.ding Andrew Quinlan.
In 1984, Cannone was arrested and convicted on 10 counts of criminal contempt of court as a result of his testimony before a Tioga County, NY, investigative grand jury relative to Quinlan's gambling activities. On December 3, 1989, Cannone was again arrested by New York authorities and charged with running a $500,000 a month bookmaking operation.

**I wonder who he operated his greater NYC operation in conjunction with?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:49 am Joseph Meringolo was on the 1985 member list that ScottD posted.

Pogo
He was also listed as a member in the 1990 PA Crime Commission Report on OC.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:48 pm
Eld wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:29 am By the late 1970s the Bufalino family had a small crew of made members in NYC, Edward Sciandra (Capo), Frank Cannone, Charles Fratello, and Angelo Son who maintained an apartment in a Manhattan hotel.
Wow. That is interesting. Any pics or bios of these guys.
A full Bufalino crew in NYC. How unusual.
I listed some specific info on these guys in this thread this morning.

The guy that piques my interest is Benjamin Musso, formerly of 3391 NW Sixth Avenue, Oakland Park, FL, was an associate of Family capo Anthony Guarnieri. He was associated with acting boss Edward Sciandra. Musso was involved in narcotics trafficking which was financed, in part, by Guarnieri; he also sold counterfeit goods on Guarnieri's behalf. He has been seen with Joseph Todaro, Sr., boss of Buffalo on numerous occasions in Western NY, NE Pennsylvania and in NYC. I can't figure out the relationship with Musso and Todaro Sr except for Joe Sonken's restaurant which was a primary hangout for Bufalino and his people while in South Florida.

Here is some great info on Bufalino family beginning on page 136, players, schemes, crimes etc

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digitizat ... 8NCJRS.pdf

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

JCB1977 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:39 am Frank Cannone, formerly of 1615 Newell Road, Endicott, NY. Cannone reported to Anthony Guarnieri. Unlike most LCN members, Cannone has hands-on involvement in sports bookmaking. During the early 1980s, Cannone operated in the Greater New York City area, and more recently, his operations have been centered in the Binghamton, NY, area. Cannone has accepted layoff action from other Binghamton area bookmakers, inclu.ding Andrew Quinlan.
In 1984, Cannone was arrested and convicted on 10 counts of criminal contempt of court as a result of his testimony before a Tioga County, NY, investigative grand jury relative to Quinlan's gambling activities. On December 3, 1989, Cannone was again arrested by New York authorities and charged with running a $500,000 a month bookmaking operation.

I'm from NYC and thought I knew the whole state pretty well, damn close to inside out, and had no idea that Endicott had a pretty substantial Italian population - and apparently even a (historical) Little Italy today. Wonder how some of the bakeries/restaurants are there - kinda seems like a cool stuck-in-time type of place
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:07 am
JCB1977 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:39 am Frank Cannone, formerly of 1615 Newell Road, Endicott, NY. Cannone reported to Anthony Guarnieri. Unlike most LCN members, Cannone has hands-on involvement in sports bookmaking. During the early 1980s, Cannone operated in the Greater New York City area, and more recently, his operations have been centered in the Binghamton, NY, area. Cannone has accepted layoff action from other Binghamton area bookmakers, inclu.ding Andrew Quinlan.

I'm from NYC and thought I knew the whole state pretty well, damn close to inside out, and had no idea that Endicott had a pretty substantial Italian population - and apparently even a (historical) Little Italy today. Wonder how some of the bakeries/restaurants are there - kinda seems like a cool stuck-in-time type of place
Bufalino family members/associates living in NY in 1990 were: Ed Sciandra (Bellmore NY), Anthony Mosco (Endicott, NY), Frank Cannone (Endicott, NY), Charles Fratello (Brooklyn, NY), Salvatore Aleccia (Endwell, NY), Sam Rotella (Endwell, NY), Anthony Santacrose Jr (Endicott, NY), John Francis (Yonkers, NY), Stan Reppucci (Vestal, NY), Tom Dellarocco (Binghamton, NY), George Feinberg (Flushing, NY) and Joseph Maruca (Endicott, NY),

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Great writeup on the wakes for Vincent and Frank DeCicco.

https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/11/de ... mbino.html
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chaps wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:30 am Great writeup on the wakes for Vincent and Frank DeCicco.

Back in the day of some real in your face Cosa Nostra. Before these guys were scared of their own shadows.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.