Purple Gang NYC

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Rat
Straightened out

Re: Purple Gang NYC

Post by Rat »

On wiki it says the purple gang was limited to only Italians but Meldish doesn't seem like a very Italian last name. Was this true?
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Rat wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:52 am On wiki it says the purple gang was limited to only Italians but Meldish doesn't seem like a very Italian last name. Was this true?
No, there were a few non-Italians involved
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

i like the book a lot. i never heard of half these guys. im 48% through it. seems like there are a lot of moving parts and pieces/characters
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

outfit guy wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:18 am When will it be under $15?
Why does it have to be <$15?
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:12 pm
It is a book regurgitating a lot of what we already are aware and is less than 200 pages including sources (newspaper articles): that's why.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

outfit guy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:39 am
It is a book regurgitating a lot of what we already are aware and is less than 200 pages including sources (newspaper articles): that's why.
Have you read it? The guy is a valued member of the board who has written alot of good stuff and one of the few writers/journalists that comes on here and opens himself to criticism. Not to mention ask us here questions and opinions about things hes writing about if he wants to get clarification on some things. Asking a question like that is insulting imo. "That's why" I ask.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

More over, if you look at these post most members of this board who have been a part of this longer then you and I disagree with you. You are the only one who said that so far. Again "that's why"
mr white
Straightened out

Post by mr white »

Its true that this book summarizes already known information but its information already known by relatively few people...maybe like guys who've been reading these boards for awhile... And I dont know of any other better treatment of the Purple Gang or any better researched text anywhere. Its a good read and aside from false starts with some Boston stuff early on his Detroit and Southeastern stuff has been good. Still fair to have an opinion on what you want to pay for 200 pages of stuff you've already read about, if you have...also fair that Scott has no say in the price and its the publishers call if he wants to be published..
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

mr white wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:41 pm Its true that this book summarizes already known information but its information already known by relatively few people...maybe like guys who've been reading these boards for awhile... And I dont know of any other better treatment of the Purple Gang or any better researched text anywhere. Its a good read and aside from false starts with some Boston stuff early on his Detroit and Southeastern stuff has been good. Still fair to have an opinion on what you want to pay for 200 pages of stuff you've already read about, if you have...also fair that Scott has no say in the price and its the publishers call if he wants to be published..
You should have replied to Tonyd621.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

ive read this board and before that real deal going back to 2004ish same with wiseguy, mr white, scott deitsche and a bunch of others. I've also read a lot of mob books on flights. In addition, I do know a handful of real "guys" but not bosses or anything. That being said, most of the info in this book is new to me and great. Some is known to me but is only added by scott for context.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Haven't read it yet but I will and am assuming it's worth the cover price. To have all of that info easily digestible in one place is worth the money versus sourcing it all myself and reading through a bunch of court documents, articles, and other books/accounts - much like any true crime/non fiction book.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

I don't set the book price

It's 70K words, printed with a small font, hence the book count. Again, publisher decision

450 sources including dozens of never before reported/cited items, including the 1976 DEA report. Not sure I regurgitated stuff "everyone knows"

My primary target audience are people that aren't on this board, people that don't have the deep knowledge base that we have. I do, though, hope people here find value
Last edited by sdeitche on Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

mr white wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:41 pm Its true that this book summarizes already known information but its information already known by relatively few people...maybe like guys who've been reading these boards for awhile... And I dont know of any other better treatment of the Purple Gang or any better researched text anywhere. Its a good read and aside from false starts with some Boston stuff early on his Detroit and Southeastern stuff has been good. Still fair to have an opinion on what you want to pay for 200 pages of stuff you've already read about, if you have...also fair that Scott has no say in the price and its the publishers call if he wants to be published..
Thanks, appreciate it.

Scott B is the Detroit guy. I'm the southeastern, nj, purple gang, and false start Boston!
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

CornerBoy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:46 am ive read this board and before that real deal going back to 2004ish same with wiseguy, mr white, scott deitsche and a bunch of others. I've also read a lot of mob books on flights. In addition, I do know a handful of real "guys" but not bosses or anything. That being said, most of the info in this book is new to me and great. Some is known to me but is only added by scott for context.
Thank you.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:16 pm
Thanks, appreciate it.

Scott B is the Detroit guy. I'm the southeastern, nj, purple gang, and false start Boston!
Fair enough; I'll take a read.