Milwaukee 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Milwaukee 1963

Post by cavita »

I threw this together pretty quickly but I wanted to get a good framework going. Feel free to add/subtract

Milwaukee 1963

Boss: Frank Balistrieri
Born: May 27, 1918 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died February 7, 1993 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Antonina Alioto, daughter of former boss John Alioto

Underboss: ?

Consigliere: Charles V. Zarcone? Consigliere during Vallone, Ferrara and Alioto regimes
Born: August 18, 1888 Santa Flavia, Sicily
Died: March 19, 1974 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Marie Jahn

Capo: John Alioto, former boss, capo of older men, father-in-law of Frank Balistrieri
Born: 1888 Palermo, Sicily
Died: August 27, 1972 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Caterina Alioto

Capo: Joe Caminiti, made in Chicago under Joe Aiello, brother-in-law of Frank Balistrieri
Born: February 1, 1904
Died: May 9, 1995 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Madeline Alioto

Soldiers:

John J. Aiello, made during the reign of Sam Ferrara
Born: 1916
Died: December 5, 1968 Occupation: Unknown
Wife: Helen Murawski

Vito Aiello, brother of John also made during the reign of Sam Ferrara
Born: 1908
Died: May 8, 1981 Occupation: Unknown
Wife: Mary Balistrieri

Albert “Cadillac Al” Albana, made approximately February 1963
Born: February 1, 1901 New York, New York
Died: ? Occupation: Unknown
Wife: ?

Michael J. Albano
Born: August 9, 1916 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: September 21, 1966 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Virginia Greco

Antonio Albano, uncle of Mike Albano
Born: 1888
Died: April 24, 1970 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Providenza Seidita

Joe Balistrieri, father of Frank
Born: 1894
Died: March 3, 1971 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Benedetta Picciurro

Peter F. Balistrieri, brother of Frank, made in 1963
Born: 1919 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: August 17, 1997 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Mary

Harry D’Angelo, made in 1963
Born: August 4, 1908 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: February 11, 1991 Mequon, Wisconsin
Wife: Sarah Pedersen

Carlo DiMaggio, came to Milwaukee 1908
Born: 1889 Palermo, Sicily
Died: January 17, 1968 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Salvatore DiMaggio, son of Carlo, made during reign of Sam Ferrara
Born: 1916
Died: 1987

Benny DeSalvo/DiSalvo, made in 1963, nephew of Benny DiSalvo former boss of Madison.
Born: ?
Died: ?

Steve DeSalvo/DiSalvo
Born: June 9, 1918 West Allis, Wisconsin
Died: June 9, 1990 Las Vegas, Nevada
Wife: Dorothy

Sam Ferrara, former boss, inactive
Born: 1896
Died: April 12, 1974 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Laura J. Marino

Joe Gumina, underboss and capo during reigns of Vallone, Ferrara and Alioto
Born: April 7, 1902
Died: April 8, 1995
Wife: Mary Bugarino

August J. Maniaci
Born: June 19, 1909 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: September 11, 1975 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Mary Guttilla

Santo Marino, brother-in-law of Sam Ferrara, inactive
Born: August 23, 1913
Died: August 23, 2002 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mike Mineo, made in Chicago, came to Milwaukee during Capone-Aiello War
Born: November 19, 1897 Bagheria, Sicily
Died: December 21, 1973 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Caterina Gagliardo

John Pernice
Born: November 25, 1897 Marsala, Sicily
Died: October 1977
Wife: Providenza SanFilippo

Dominic “Pops” Principe, made in 1963
Born: April 5, 1913 Kenosha, Wisconsin
Died: ?

Vito Seidita
Born: August 22, 1904 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: July 1978 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Francesca Cefalu

Joe Spero, inactive
Born: February 16, 1908 Palermo, Sicily
Died: April 17, 1970 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wife: Unknown
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Milwaukee 1963

Post by PolackTony »

Thanks for getting this started, man.

Giovanni Alioto was born 1888 in the Porticello frazione of Santa Flavia. Vital records from SF in this period aren’t online, but I believe that his parents were Giuseppe Alioto and Francesca Orlando. Giovanni, stating that he was a fisherman in SF, arrived in NYC bound for Milwaukee in 1903, giving an “uncle” there as his contact (surname looks like Lafiola or something similar). His wife was Caterina Alioto, born in 1891 in the Sant’Elia frazione of SF. I have her parents as Giuseppe Alioto (possibly a cousin of Giovanni’s father) and Antonina Balistrieri. In 1950, Alioto lived at 522 N Van Buren in Milwaukee's old Third Ward Sicilian colony and worked for the department of street sanitation of the City of Milwaukee (hmm, I seem to recall this being a common career path for mafiosi in a nearby city?).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Frank Peter Balistrieri was born in 1918 in Milwaukee to Giuseppe Balistrieri of the Aspra frazione of Bagheria (naturalization in 1941 witnessed by a Thomas Alioto and a DiMaggio) and Benedetta Picciurro, who I believe was also from Aspra (her father Pietro Picciurro's naturalization was witnessed by a Joseph Maniaci). Both parents arrived in Milwaukee in the 1900s and married there in 1917. In 1920, the Balistrieris lived at 461 N Jefferson St in the Third Ward; Giuseppe worked at that time as a laborer for the City of Milwaukee, while by 1941 he had worked his way up to being a contractor.

In 1939, Frank married Antonina Benedetta "Nina" Alioto, born in 1920 in Milwaukee to Giovanni and Caterina Alioto. In the 1940s, Frank reported that he worked for the US Postal service. As of 1950, Frank and Nina lived at 1417 E Ogden near the Third Ward lakefront and Frank stated that he worked as a driver for a trucking contractor firm (not sure if this was his father's company).

As Cavita noted, brother Peter Frank Balistrieri was born in 1919 in Milwaukee. In 1940, Peter married Mary Grace Balistrieri in Kansas City. She was born in KC in 1921 to Francesco Balistrieri of Aspra and Giuseppa Navarra of Castellammare del Golfo. Francesco and Giuseppa were already married in Sicily, and when she arrived in 1914 bound for KC (where Francesco arrived earlier that year), she stated that their three eldest children were all born in CDG (this could be significant in pointing towards how the Bagherese Joe Aiello in Chicago fell in under thw national Castellammarese faction; we've also seen Bagheria/CDG connections in Chicago/Benton Harbor). In 1950, Peter and Mary lived at 1640 N Jackson in the Third Ward (immediately around the corner from John Alioto); Peter stated that he owned and managed a jukebox distribution company. In 1957, the Milwaukee Journal reported that Peter Balistrieri was the manage of the Tower tavern and Tradewinds nightclub, in partnership with his brother Frank and their father; the Balistrieris owned and operated several bars/clubs/restuarants in Milwaukee's 4th Ward.

In 1929, the Milwaukee papers reported that a Mr Vito Balistrieri, allegedly connected to Chicago and Kansas City, had arrived in Milwaukee and was attempting to "muscle in" (which they attributed as Chicago slang) on local rackets. I thnink that this was probably the Vito Balistrieri who was an older brother of Mary, Peter Balistrieri's wife (one of her siblings apparently born in CDG); Vito claimed that he was assaulted by police officers responding to his commission of an armed robbery of a Milwaukee roadhouse with a group of men.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antonino "Nino" Albano was born in 1888 in Monreale to Michele Albano and Marietta Seidita. In 1907, Antonino arrived in NYC bound for Milwaukee, where he stated that Vito Guardalabene was his "uncle"; in 1917 he lived at 165 Huron St (today Clybourn) in the 3rd Ward and worked as a machinist. Antonino's wife was Providenza Seidita, also from Monreale (possibly a relative). Records for Antonino and his family in Milwaukee are spotty, he traveled to Sicily in 1919, and then he and his family traveled to Milwaukee from Sicily in the 1940s, so I suspect that he may have moved back to Monreale for a number of years before returning to Milwaukee. There were also a bunch of Albanos from Monreale in Chicago, though I didn't see anything to indicate that Antonino lived there as well.

Antonino's brother Domenico Albano was born in 1886 in Monreale. In 1915, he married Anna DiSalvo of Sant'Elia, Santa Flavia; in 1917, they lived at 135 E Detroit St in the 3rd Ward and Domenico worked for the City sanitation department. Anna DiSalvo's parents were Gaetano DiSalvo of Bagheria and Giuseppa Mangella of Sant'Elia; Gaetano was a brother of Benedetto and Andrea DiSalvo of Madison. Their family initially lived in Chicago's Little Sicily with a Giovanni Mineo, before relocating to Milwaukee where Gaetano opened a grocery store, in 1916, Domenico and Anna's son and future Milwaukee member Michael Albano was born in Milwaukee. Michael later married Inocencio "Virginia" Greco, who was born in 1922 in Milwaukee to Pietro Greco (apparently from Brancaccio, Palermo, where later Chicago boss Toto LoVerde was from) and Rosaria Galioto of Sant'Elia (her first husband was a Gaetano Balistrieri from Sant' Elia who died in 1915), in 1930, the Grecos lived in the Milwaukee home of Angelo Alioto.

Domenico Albano died in Milwaukee in 1948. In 1950, Mike Albano lived at 1634 N Jackson and stated that he worked as a salesman of aluminum building products.

Albert "Cadillac Al" Albano of Kenosha was entirely unrelated to the Milwaukee Albanos. He was born in 1901 in NYC and I believe that his family was from Cosenza province, Calabria, where the majority of Italians in the Kenosha area hailed from. In 1941, he was living in the northern Chicago suburb of Zion near the WI border (he later told the FBI that he had arrived to Lake County IL as a kid from NYC) under Alphonse aka Albert Albano, and listed a Tony Albano in Kenosha as his contact. This, I believe, was an Antonio Albano born 1887 in Cosenza who had lived in the Bronx in 1910 before relocating to Kenosha; he was likely either a brother or cousin of Cadillac Al. Cadillac Al later told the Feds that he lived and worked in Portland, OR, at a defense contractor facility in the 40s before moving to Kenosha, where he was living in 1950. In 1928, Albano caught a case for bootlegging in Kenosha and in 1935 was arrested for a shooting there as well. In 1963, he was suspected in the abduction and murder of Tony Biernat, a Kenosha jukebox company owner with alleged links to the Chicago and Milwaukee outfits. The FBI interview Al regarding the Biernat murder and reported that at that time Albano lived at 2714 25th Ave in Kenosha and was employed by Dante's Bar in Kenosha. Cadillac Al was closely partnered with Dominic Principe of Lake Zurich, Il (fancy), and Johnny Rizzo, a notorious Kenosha underworld figure allegedly in charge of gambling operations there.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Vito Seidita was born in 1904 in Santa Flavia to Baldassare Seidita and Giuseppa Guardalabene of Santa Flavia; they arrived in NYC bound for Milwaukee in 1909, bound for Giuseppa's father, Milwaukee boss Vito Guardalabene. Vito's stay was short, however, and he returned to Sicily in 1911. There, Vito married Francesca Cefalu, born in 1908 in Santa Flavia. She arrived in Milwaukee with one of their kids, Salvatore, in 1946, while Vito and the other kids joined them in 1948. When Vito was naturalized in 1951 in Milwaukee, they lived at 1632 N Warren. The naturalization was witnessed by Milwaukee members Joe Comini (then listed as Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local 982) and John Alioto (who was then a foreman with the City Sanitation Department; presumably, Vito had no trouble landing a job there).

Based on this, I think was can assume that Vito Seidita was probably a member in Bagheria/Santa Flavia who transferred to the Milwaukee outfit (I'm unsure if Santa Flavia had an independent Family at some point in this past, but at least in recent years mafiosi there seem to be members of the Bagheria cosca).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Francesco Balistrieri was a Milwaukee member who was retired in San Diego by this time. I believe he was Frank's uncle. There was another uncle I've seen mentioned named Pietro Balistrieri who might have been a member living in San Diego too but I'd have to check if he was confirmed.

There's a report where Augie Maniaci's uncle Vincent Mercurio is identified as made. I believe Maniaci said he wasn't made in one interview, not sure if he's the source who later confirmed him, but he may have been trying to protect Mercurio.

Dr. Vito Guardalabene is another Maniaci said wasn't made in one interview but there's conflicting info as another source said he was made but not active in org activities.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:22 pm Francesco Balistrieri was a Milwaukee member who was retired in San Diego by this time. I believe he was Frank's uncle. There was another uncle I've seen mentioned named Pietro Balistrieri who might have been a member living in San Diego too but I'd have to check if he was confirmed.

There's a report where Augie Maniaci's uncle Vincent Mercurio is identified as made. I believe Maniaci said he wasn't made in one interview, not sure if he's the source who later confirmed him, but he may have been trying to protect Mercurio.

Dr. Vito Guardalabene is another Maniaci said wasn't made in one interview but there's conflicting info as another source said he was made but not active in org activities.
We’ve discussed the Maniaci genealogy a bit before.

Nunzio “Pops” Maniaci was born in 1881 in Palermo to Giuseppe Maniaci and Margherita Scalise (there’s also a record for their marriage in Palermo in 1858). Nunzio later stated that he entered the US around 1902, though I haven’t confirmed his arrival record. In 1906 he married Rosa Mercurio in Milwaukee. Rosa was born in 1889 in Appleton, WI (the birthplace of Harry Houdini) to Agostino Mercurio and Giuseppa Maddalena of Tèrmini Imerese. Unsurprisngly, their family had ties to prime Termitano colonies in Chicago and Ohio; Giuseppa’s brother Giacomo Maddalena was a produce dealer in Toledo before moving to Milwaukee, while brother Vincenzo Maddalena and other relatives settled in Chicago; there were also a ton of other Mercurios from Tèrmini in Chicago, including the family of Chicago member Sam Mercurio (Ray Patriarca’s wife’s mother was also a Mercurio from Tèrmini). In the 1960s, Rosa’s kid brother Vincent “Vince McGurk” Mercurio (born 1906 in Milwaukee) was noted as the Chairman of the Milwaukee County Republican Party who attempted to intercede with WI Attorney General George Thompson when nephew Augie was under investigation by the WI DOJ for providing blank money orders for a 1961 mortgage fraud ring (charges were dropped).

Agostino Maniaci was born in 1909, the second of ten children of Nunzio and Rosa, all born in Milwaukee. In 1910 the Maniacis lived at 204 N Jefferson in the 3rd Ward; Nunzio worked as a produce merchant. In the 30s and 40s, the Maniacis opened restaurants the Canadian Club and Pops Maniaci’s. Nunzio Maniaci died in 1962, so he could be on this chart if recently deceased members are included. His death made front page news in the Milwaukee Journal, which noted:
Mr. Maniaci was regarded as a leader in the Italian American community. He was frequently called upon by his friends to arbitrate disputes.
I bet.

In the early 1960s, Augie Maniaci was noted as the operator of a couple of taverns with his brother Vincent J Maniaci. By 1966, Vincent Maniaci relocated to Appleton, where the local town council blocked his attempt to open a restaurant. In 1963 the papers reported Augie’s address as 2121 N Newhall St. Augie was also noted as the Vice-President of the Wisconsin Suppliers & Builders Company.
Last edited by PolackTony on Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Augie's brother Vincent Maniaci was another member but not sure when he was made.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:19 pm Augie's brother Vincent Maniaci was another member but not sure when he was made.
Yeah, Vince Maniaci was born in 1919; not sure if he was made by 1963.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Just to confirm, Francesco (1896) and Pietro (1901) Balistrieri were indeed the brothers of Frank Peter Balistrieri’s father Giuseppe (1894). Their father was also named Francesco Balistrieri and their mother was Rosalia Scaduto; in 1910, they all lived in Milwaukee with a relative of father Francesco’s mother (Bellante).

Here’s a photo of Milwaukee member Francesco “Frank” Balistrieri with his wife Agostina Sottile (photo presumably from San Diego):

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Never seen him -- great to see a photo.

Another retired member living in California at this time was "Tom Lubua" (ph), ID'd by Maniaci as a former capodecina in the 1920s-30s who he believed to be working as a shoemaker in Los Angeles circa 1964. Said he had two crippled sons and was in his 60s.

Closest name that comes to mind is LoBue but don't know of any tied to Milwaukee.

--

Re: Balistrieris coming from Aspra. What's funny is I read a while back the boss Frank Balistrieri's grandson used to drive around with custom license plates saying ASPRA.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:02 pm Never seen him -- great to see a photo.

Another retired member living in California at this time was "Tom Lubua" (ph), ID'd by Maniaci as a former capodecina in the 1920s-30s who he believed to be working as a shoemaker in Los Angeles circa 1964. Said he had two crippled sons and was in his 60s.

Closest name that comes to mind is LoBue but don't know of any tied to Milwaukee.

--

Re: Balistrieris coming from Aspra. What's funny is I read a while back the boss Frank Balistrieri's grandson used to drive around with custom license plates saying ASPRA.
There was a Giuseppe Tommaso “Thomas” LoBue in Milwaukee who went by the alias “Tom Lupo”. He was arrested for armed robbery in Waukesha County in 1935 and suspected of being linked to a robbery ring with Jack Enea, Louis Maniaci, and Dominic Picciurro. He was born 1904-1905 in Casteltermini, so if he was a member then he’d seem to be the first Agrigentino we’ve seen with Milwaukee. His info matches a Joseph LoBue from Wisconsin who died in Temple City, CA, in 1980, so this has to be the guy that Maniaci mentioned.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Joseph Caminiti was born in 1904 in Chicago to Giuseppe Caminiti and Rosa LaMantia of Santa Flavia. The Caminitis lived in Little Sicily and Giuseppe worked as a laborer for Streets and San.

Joseph married Madeline Genualdi, who was born in Chicago in 1903 to parents from Altavilla Milicia. In 1930, Joseph lived with his wife and in-laws at School and Austin in the NW Side and stated that he worked as a bricklayer. By 1935 at the latest, he had relocated to Milwaukee, as had his parents and brother Mike Caminiti (their sisters seem to have remained in Chicago). In 1950, Joe Caminiti was living at 1765 N Astor in Milwaukee; as noted above, he was the Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local 928 at this time (his father had been in the Hod Carriers Union in Chicago as well). In 1953, Joe was elected Secretary-Treasurer of Local 257; he still held this position as of 1964 (he had held administrative positions in Milwaukee union locals going back to the 30s).

In February of 1928, Joe Caminiti was busted with a group of Aiello men including Sam Aiello and “Tough Tony” Calafiore at an alleged bombing meeting at Damen and Lawrence on the Northside of Chicago. The Tribune reported that the group was a “new gang” formed by Joe Aiello and was plotting bombings targeting Unione Siciliana officials who had pledged support to their rival “gang” (hmm, I wonder what that was all about). Caminiti is seated at bottom left:

cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

It is interesting to note that some FBI files on Milwaukee based on Augie Maniaci's info is incomplete. He apparently was out of touch at one time with what was going on in Milwaukee probably due to a falling out with Frank Balistrieri. There were some instances where Maniaci didn't know if an individual was a member or not for whatever reason. If this was the case Maniaci may not have had knowledge of all members in places such as Madison, Rockford, Springfield and Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:43 am It is interesting to note that some FBI files on Milwaukee based on Augie Maniaci's info is incomplete. He apparently was out of touch at one time with what was going on in Milwaukee probably due to a falling out with Frank Balistrieri. There were some instances where Maniaci didn't know if an individual was a member or not for whatever reason. If this was the case Maniaci may not have had knowledge of all members in places such as Madison, Rockford, Springfield and Chicago.
Yes, I noticed that after Madison was disbanded, for example, that Maniaci reported that he didn’t feel that he couldn’t enquire as to who the two members assigned to Milwaukee reported to. That could be read as it being a situation like Chicago, where organizational info was on a need to know basis and one didn’t ask questions, or because Maniaci was somewhat on the outs. We know where Maniaci wound up, so even if he wasn’t shelved during this period he may not have been fully in the loop. When it comes to these other families, I think that one has to presume that he didn’t have comprehensive info. Obviously he had a direct in with Rockford, and Madison and Springfield were tiny, but he still may not have known of every single made guy in those Families. With Chicago, he was certainly in no position to give anything more run a very partial and fragmented perspective, IMO.