A Second Ontario Man Made by the Gambino's in California

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: A Second Ontario Man Made by the Gambino's in California

Post by Moscone65 »

The town the coluccios are from is like a stones throw away from siderno it is almost like the same paese
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Buffalo inducting Domenico Romeo from Siderno is still intriguing to me too. He lived on the border and was used as a liaison to the Calabrians in Ontario. Don't know what his ties are to the infamous Siderno guys but he must have had them. He was a young man in the 1960s when he was identified as a made member but Magaddino showed him a great deal of respect, more than many members of his Family. Wonder if that respect was political in nature.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

B. wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:59 pm Buffalo inducting Domenico Romeo from Siderno is still intriguing to me too. He lived on the border and was used as a liaison to the Calabrians in Ontario. Don't know what his ties are to the infamous Siderno guys but he must have had them. He was a young man in the 1960s when he was identified as a made member but Magaddino showed him a great deal of respect, more than many members of his Family. Wonder if that respect was political in nature.
In obituaries it reads him and wife married and settled in Ontario before moving to NY a few years later.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

To me it opens up the question if Buffalo ever inducted Siderno guys in Ontario.

There were still many questions about the Violi-Luppinos until recent years and though Giacomo Luppino is on some lists as a Buffalo member, it's been confirmed basically this whole clan was inducted into Cosa Nostra on top of the grandfather's status in the 'Ndrangheta.

Wonder what the Canadian experts think about the idea of Buffalo inducting some of the Canada-based Siderno people earlier in history like they did with Domenico Romeo and though it's a different clan, there is precedent with Giacomo Luppino. It wouldn't be about exercising dominance over them or "giving orders" but representing them and mutual benefit.

I don't now enough about the Siderno element in Ontario and there's no question they're a power unto themselves with a lot of influence coming overseas, but CalabrianWatch did mention a Commisso from Siderno as a possible Genovese member or associate in NYC.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Here is specifically what Anna Sergi wrote:
Calabrese by birth, Sicilians by adoption
For decades, the 'ndrine have been moving within the Gambino and Genovese families, abandoning their' Calabrian nature 'and' obeying 'the dominant brand . Precisely for this reason, nowhere else, as in New York, is it so difficult to understand the true power - in addition to illicit trafficking - of the 'Ndrangheta. But there are individuals, especially linked to the 'ndrine of Siderno (Commisso-Macrì) , of the Ionian coast, but also linked to the ' heavy 'surnames of the Rosarnese , who today have reached top positions within New York families. Over the years, many have diversified their activities, investing in port logistics and joining companies dedicated to port infrastructures.. It is these individuals who 'invite' young recruits from Calabria to come and work at the port and direct them to the ranks of the Genovese and Gambino families. Surely all this confirms that the Waterfront Commission is still very much
And here is CalabrianWatch's commentary:
calabrianwatch wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:40 am There are Commissos in Canada connected with Oppedisanos and Macri in NY for example, including Oppedisano who are active in port logistics, for example. Someone named Anthony Commisso is a Genovese soldier, or so is considered. a Vincenzo Schirripa too and a couple of Oppedisanos. Plus a Fiumara and a Lupoi in the Gambino - these are people I know who are also linked with the Commissos (or the Oppedisanos) too. The evidence is precisely what is missing, if we mean open source evidence. But reading the whole article more than assuming ndranghetisti made into the family, she is referring to Calabrians linked to ndrangheta who are also linked to the 5 families and some of them marching within them. I doubt membership is always a clear cut anyway...
Without knowing the specifics of whether the Gambino and Genovese Family are formally inducting 'Ndrangheta-connected people in NYC, it does sound like there's evidence of close association that may be resulting in formal relationships based around common interests.

That info has surfaced of the Gambino-linked LA Family inducting at least two men in these circles in Ontario and there appears to be something going on between the Gambinos and Genovese with Calabrians in NYC is significant and tells us these groups may be trying to formalize mutually-beneficial arrangements like they did in Sicily with the Nuovo Camorra in the 1970s.

I commented before that membership would be 100% clearcut, i.e. they're either made into Cosa Nostra or not, but there is a long history of Cosa Nostra allowing dual membership for non-Sicilian organizations (you can't have dual membership with the Sicilian mafia because it's the same thing -- it would be like inducting a Gambino member into the Genovese, which is why they allow transfers, but Cosa Nostra has not been opposed to non-Sicilians having dual membership with their own groups).

I also don't think this would lessen the Calabrian nature of members who join Cosa Nostra, rather it would cement their relationships and give the 'Ndrangheta greater influence to have their own people recognized in Cosa Nostra. We can see historically with the Calabrians in Philly they didn't become more Sicilian, rather they developed their own political faction in Cosa Nostra with immense power and pride in their Calabrian heritage.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Speaking of Lupoi his bop locator saying he is expected to be at an RRM next month
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Wonder if the Gambino make Lupoi when he gets out, remember that 2007 surveillance pic of cali, tall pete and santo zito? Could the unsub be Lupoi? Maybe it’s semplice fuck knows
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

B. wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:41 pm To me it opens up the question if Buffalo ever inducted Siderno guys in Ontario.

There were still many questions about the Violi-Luppinos until recent years and though Giacomo Luppino is on some lists as a Buffalo member, it's been confirmed basically this whole clan was inducted into Cosa Nostra on top of the grandfather's status in the 'Ndrangheta.

Wonder what the Canadian experts think about the idea of Buffalo inducting some of the Canada-based Siderno people earlier in history like they did with Domenico Romeo and though it's a different clan, there is precedent with Giacomo Luppino. It wouldn't be about exercising dominance over them or "giving orders" but representing them and mutual benefit.

I don't now enough about the Siderno element in Ontario and there's no question they're a power unto themselves with a lot of influence coming overseas, but CalabrianWatch did mention a Commisso from Siderno as a possible Genovese member or associate in NYC.
That is an interesting question that I've been asking myself since I saw the Luppino Family Tree and noticed that Domenico and Giovanni married into the Commisso family. I don't know much about the Ndranghetta in Canada, but aren't the Commissos part of the Siderno Group?

Schneider has a section about one of the weddings in his book:

JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

TommyGambino wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:49 am Wonder if the Gambino make Lupoi when he gets out, remember that 2007 surveillance pic of cali, tall pete and santo zito? Could the unsub be Lupoi? Maybe it’s semplice fuck knows

It does look like Lupoi to me. Hairline is very similar. The guy in that pic though is quite skinny while Lupoi looks stocky in his arrest pics but the pictures are like 7 years apart.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Lupoi was on record with Tall Pete and close with Frank Cali.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I don't know much about them. Hopefully I'm not misquoting, but I thought Antimafia mentioned years ago too there may be an extended Rizzuto relative in Ontario who married into the Commisso family but the connection couldn't be substantiated. Ring any bells?

- When an Ontario 'Ndrangheta group tried to consult with Magaddino about bringing one of the Longos in and he said to check with your own "societies" in Calabria, I interpreted it to mean the Longos and their associates were officially represented by Buffalo but he couldn't get involved in formal matters concerning their 'Ndrangheta organization itself. The Calabrians may have been confused given they were otherwise represented by Magaddino in the area but Magaddino makes it clear he had no right to influence the Calabrians' own organization. We know at least one Longo was made into the LA Family, so that clan did cross over into Cosa Nostra but in this particular case it concerned them bringing a Longo into the 'Ndrangheta and Stefano said San Giorgio Morgeto had to be contacted, not him.

- Combined with Buffalo bringing the Luppino-Violis and Domenico Romeo into his Family, I think it's worth questioning whether they may have inducted some other Calabrians who have never been confirmed. Whether that's true now I don't know, but speaking historically it's worth considering.

- The Sergeant from Otremens strongly believed Musitano was made by Buffalo as well. Some of this stuff contrasts with the "operational" view that people like the Musitanos formally belonged to the "Rizzutos" or their own "Crime Family" (what formal organizations are those?) because they associated, but that's the difference between inside and outside intelligence on these organizations. General association via business or crime does not mean sharing the same formal affiliation and it never has.

- Weren't there articles too that implied the Caputos were associated with Rizzuto? Now it's surfacing one of them may have been made along with Iavarone into a Gambino-backed LA Family. Something to consider about Tommy Gambino is he travels extensively for his Prosecco company. He said in an interview he goes all over the US and frequently to Italy so be interesting to know if his Prosecco business is also taking him to Canada. Not that he's going to Canada picking random guys to make, rather something put them in the Gambino-Palermo network.

There's still a perception too that at least in Hamilton everyone is still formally represented by Buffalo:

"The mobsters, the documents allege, were clear that Todaro held the reigns of power within the re-emergent Buffalo organization; the men said that nobody became a member without going through Todaro first. They said a mobster in the area was either under Todaro or they needed to pack their bags and leave."

Problem is, outsiders assume this means Buffalo is giving everyone orders but it's more that they represent the area politically.

Being promoted to underboss did give Violi more authority, though, as Morena said this meant he now had the "right" to make "big decisions":

D. Violi: He said to me: "Domenic, do you know that you made history? [...] No one in Canada has ever had this position. "
[...]
Partner: It's really big. You have the right to make big decisions.
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:23 pm

- Weren't there articles too that implied the Caputos were associated with Rizzuto? Now it's surfacing one of them may have been made along with Iavarone into a Gambino-backed LA Family. Something to consider about Tommy Gambino is he travels extensively for his Prosecco company. He said in an interview he goes all over the US and frequently to Italy so be interesting to know if his Prosecco business is also taking him to Canada. Not that he's going to Canada picking random guys to make, rather something put them in the Gambino-Palermo network.
Sorry if it was unclear from my follow up comment, but Sergi said in an email to me that two Caputos were made (Martino and Paolo). So that's three people (can't change the title) that are now allegedly made by the Gambino's operating in California from Ontario. And the cool thing I guess is that there are supposedly corroborating documents from NY/NJ that support this, so it's not the case of Violi potentially just blowing smoke on tape (like beating out 30 people for his position, probably).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks Nizar -- so two Caputo brothers may have been made.

We're missing many details, but the situation in Ontario should be humbling to outsiders and our tendency to form narratives about this stuff without knowing what's truly going on.

These investigations have also shown the unreliability of the RCMP's general designations, i.e. "Luppino-Violi Crime Family", "Rizzuto Crime Family", etc. These describe some of the clan-based relationships and patterns of association but they are at odds with the formal Families we know these men to have belonged to without significant evidence otherwise (which I'm open to if it arises).

The limited evidence shows we're actually dealing with the Buffalo, Bonanno, LA / Gambino, and 'Ndrangheta organizations in Ontario, with at least historic crossover between the Buffalo Family and 'Ndrangheta (not a hybrid organization, but some 'Ndrangheta-connected figures receiving formal representation within Cosa Nostra like the Nuovo Camorra in Italy and other examples in US history).

What's evident too is Joe Todaro and Domenico Violi are true believers in Cosa Nostra. Violi told Morena that Todaro promoted him in part because it was "in his blood", which is fair to say about Todaro himself and his decision to become rappresentante despite having no practical incentive to take the position.

The most significant thing to me is the LA / Gambino network allegedly failed to recognize Todaro's position in the region, while the Bonannos clearly did. Recall too that articles said Todaro had contacted the Genovese, Colombo, and Bonanno Families but did not cite the Gambinos or Luccheses. The Luccheses have been playing political games with other Families, refusing to recognize the bosses of Philadelphia and the Bonannos, so you have to wonder what their position is on Buffalo, if any -- Paolo LoDuca was ID'd as a Lucchese captain and he's a product of the Gambino network, as are the new Sicilian names Felice revealed to be Lucchese members.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:53 pm Here is specifically what Anna Sergi wrote:
Calabrese by birth, Sicilians by adoption
For decades, the 'ndrine have been moving within the Gambino and Genovese families, abandoning their' Calabrian nature 'and' obeying 'the dominant brand . Precisely for this reason, nowhere else, as in New York, is it so difficult to understand the true power - in addition to illicit trafficking - of the 'Ndrangheta. But there are individuals, especially linked to the 'ndrine of Siderno (Commisso-Macrì) , of the Ionian coast, but also linked to the ' heavy 'surnames of the Rosarnese , who today have reached top positions within New York families. Over the years, many have diversified their activities, investing in port logistics and joining companies dedicated to port infrastructures.. It is these individuals who 'invite' young recruits from Calabria to come and work at the port and direct them to the ranks of the Genovese and Gambino families. Surely all this confirms that the Waterfront Commission is still very much
And here is CalabrianWatch's commentary:
calabrianwatch wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:40 am There are Commissos in Canada connected with Oppedisanos and Macri in NY for example, including Oppedisano who are active in port logistics, for example. Someone named Anthony Commisso is a Genovese soldier, or so is considered. a Vincenzo Schirripa too and a couple of Oppedisanos. Plus a Fiumara and a Lupoi in the Gambino - these are people I know who are also linked with the Commissos (or the Oppedisanos) too. The evidence is precisely what is missing, if we mean open source evidence. But reading the whole article more than assuming ndranghetisti made into the family, she is referring to Calabrians linked to ndrangheta who are also linked to the 5 families and some of them marching within them. I doubt membership is always a clear cut anyway...
Without knowing the specifics of whether the Gambino and Genovese Family are formally inducting 'Ndrangheta-connected people in NYC, it does sound like there's evidence of close association that may be resulting in formal relationships based around common interests.

That info has surfaced of the Gambino-linked LA Family inducting at least two men in these circles in Ontario and there appears to be something going on between the Gambinos and Genovese with Calabrians in NYC is significant and tells us these groups may be trying to formalize mutually-beneficial arrangements like they did in Sicily with the Nuovo Camorra in the 1970s.
Jesus Christ man, lol. This is what I spend too much time obsessing over... Why is it always an issue when I try to talk about it? You basically agree, lol..

Shits baffling... with me it's just...." He thinks the whole mafia is a cartel..."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If I ever misunderstand you, Cabrini, feel free to let me know how. You're one of the few people really interested in this international stuff and you're fun to talk to so I don't want to downplay your view even though I know we evaluate the evidence differently.

I think the best comparison for Ontario based on what's available is Youngstown. It was an area under the joint jurisdiction of Cleveland and Pittsburgh, but the Gambino Family had at least one member there (Cavallero, who didn't take orders from the Gambinos but was rather formally protected / represented by them for a time) and the ex-Buffalo guys there appear to have transferred membership to Cleveland and possibly even Detroit. Informants not privy to those organizational details however saw Youngstown as the "Sicilian faction" and "Calabrian faction" based on who associated with who, but those factions included made members of multiple national organizations.

If we didn't have Morena's cooperation and he was present there, we would assume he was part of the Buffalo Family given his association with Violi but we know he was a Bonanno member.