Barney Bellomo

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TommyGambino
Full Patched

Re: Barney Bellomo

Post by TommyGambino »

eboli wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:50 am
CornerBoy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:13 am does barney have that kind of money that chin had? Like coudl he put together 30 million within a week? Does he care more about the title and make a few million a yr or does he have everyone filter money up to him? I think Chin must have left his family 100M.
Bellomo owns 20+ expensive properties in NY, NJ, and FL -- apartment buildings, villas, strip malls, and warehouses. On top of that, there are the carting companies, construction firms, refurbishing businesses, etc. Can he put together 30 mils in a week? Probably, but I doubt he's close to the net worth of some older guys like Catena, just because the mob is not what it once was. Nevertheless, Barney was smart with his money.
Are all of them companies actually confirmed
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Barney going up the wrong way on the highway to eacape is legendary
and like that...he was gone
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Cheech wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:47 pm Barney going up the wrong way on the highway to eacape is legendary
Barney Bellomo -- master getaway artist, or typical driver from the Bronx?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

I thought it was Dom Cirillo who did the whole entering on an off ramp thing lol. Lot of interesting discussion on this thread. I always figured Bellomo post Prison release was a more or less just a successful businessman with his finger on the scale, with a reputation and respect he honed through out his younger days.., a reputation that only matters to a pretty small and select group of people in New York and an even smaller group of people in Florida. And that circle of people gets smaller every year as NY gets more and more transient, international, gentrified, etc. i wouldn't call him the most powerful crime figure in the country but I also don't have a counter argument on who is

When that Rubeo guy gave an interview he said that Parrello was either in his restaurant or at home sleeping with people coming in to visit him. Didn't leave or do anything else. Made it sound like the guy was really just doing his own thing. Makes me wonder how often day to day things and problems in that family make it up to Barney or even to a level above Captain.

That new pic with Barney , weren't all those guys in the same crew at one point in time?
Luca
Honorary Member

Post by Luca »

newera_212 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:14 pm I thought it was Dom Cirillo who did the whole entering on an off ramp thing lol. Lot of interesting discussion on this thread. I always figured Bellomo post Prison release was a more or less just a successful businessman with his finger on the scale, with a reputation and respect he honed through out his younger days.., a reputation that only matters to a pretty small and select group of people in New York and an even smaller group of people in Florida. And that circle of people gets smaller every year as NY gets more and more transient, international, gentrified, etc. i wouldn't call him the most powerful crime figure in the country but I also don't have a counter argument on who is

When that Rubeo guy gave an interview he said that Parrello was either in his restaurant or at home sleeping with people coming in to visit him. Didn't leave or do anything else. Made it sound like the guy was really just doing his own thing. Makes me wonder how often day to day things and problems in that family make it up to Barney or even to a level above Captain.

That new pic with Barney , weren't all those guys in the same crew at one point in time?

Really that says it all. That is what the Genovese crime family is today. Enough said.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

@newera. Not dom. Was barney
and like that...he was gone
dreww
Associate

Post by dreww »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:37 pm The cartels are definitely making more money than the west side but the life expectancy of its members is probably half of what it is for any of the 5 families. There’s just legit thousands of these dudes, and a lot of them check out quick—either dead or huge prison time. I read several cartel books and one thing I was surprised to learn is how little structure there actually is. Like with Sinaloa, El Chapo and El Mayo had a few guys around them that would handle stuff, but underneath those guys it’s just a never ending supply of sicarios and traffickers that have no real rank or anything.

Same goes for bloods, crips, Latin kings, on a smaller level, in terms of revenue. How many Crips in the United States wield Barney’s influence and power? Probably very very very few, if any at all. But there’s like, 100,000 of them. So just by sheer numbers they are more powerful. But if you compared the wealth and power of your average gang member or cartel member with that of your average mafia captain, the mafia captain is probably living longer and making more money and probably has a better overall quality of life.
Really great point.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

My only thought on this is, the Cartels are big, yes. But aside from the Gulf Cartel, not even the Sinaloas have the longevity that LCN has. The Five Families have respectively been around for quite some time and how often do the cartels often splinter, have internal disputes etc. No, the mob is definitely not what it once was, but I'd imagine the cartels will continue to splinter but the mob will be business as usual. As for the Crips and Bloods - the official ones at least, are limited to a specific geographic area. That's it. Gang injunctions and gentrification in Los Angeles have even forced them out of their neighborhoods.
Ovation32
Associate

Post by Ovation32 »

My initial point in starting this thread was to focus only on criminal organizations BASED in the United States. I purposefully am not including cartels, the Ndrangheta, Sicilian Mafia, Camorra, etc. because, as many have pointed out, this is like comparing apples to oranges. But yes, Albanian and Russian organizations based in the US, biker gangs, etc. It still seems like Barney may be a stronger figure than the head of the Russian Mob in Brighton Beach, the Bloods/Crips or the President of the Hells Angles/Pagans, etc.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Ovation32 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 am My initial point in starting this thread was to focus only on criminal organizations BASED in the United States. I purposefully am not including cartels, the Ndrangheta, Sicilian Mafia, Camorra, etc. because, as many have pointed out, this is like comparing apples to oranges. But yes, Albanian and Russian organizations based in the US, biker gangs, etc. It still seems like Barney may be a stronger figure than the head of the Russian Mob in Brighton Beach, the Bloods/Crips or the President of the Hells Angles/Pagans, etc.
What separates the Mafia (and I'm talking about New York), even today, from other domestic OC groups or gangs (be it street, prison, or MC) is infiltration of the legitimate economy. The mob doesn't control entire industries in New York like it once did but it still has a diversification of legal and illegal interests that no other group has. You can look at the cases involving LCN or any of these other groups for the last 20+ years to see it. Furthermore, none of these other groups have the numbers within the NY metro area to challenge the Mafia, even if they were inclined to go to war; which they're not. The history of organized crime has usually been internal conflict, i.e. control of competing factions for a mob family, one street gang against another street gang, a MC club vs another MC club, etc.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

What separates it too is the lineage and culture is way different. The boss of the Genovese Family and the suspected boss of the DeCavalcantes are cousins whose families go back multiple generations in the mafia, probably much further in Sicily as they are both descended from an early Corleone boss as well according to Cascio's research.

Pogo has rightfully pointed out cartels and gangs recruit relatives, but in terms of time and scope what organized crime groups have anything comparable to this over generations? Even fully American families without the lineage recreate it, i.e. Persicos.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

At this point I'd wager that the street gangs and cartels have more relatives involved than the LCN. In the former you see entire families involved including the women and even small children.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm talking over generations. They may be exceptional but like Capeci said, Jerry Asaro 125 years (more like 175 based on more vague info) and he's not alone.

Are there non-mafia organizations who can trace current members in different countries back to the 18th century? Legitimately asking, I know little about other groups.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Gangs recruit more family members than LCN? No idea how this is even able to be argued. Except for the fact its just an assumption with a wager attached as if it has meaning. Obviously family recruitment is still big in any criminal organization. I wager it is bigger in the LCN than gangs. He is going to get back to us with stats after he surveys the gangs and cartels.
Last edited by Newyorkempire on Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:34 pm I'm talking over generations. They may be exceptional but like Capeci said, Jerry Asaro 125 years (more like 175 based on more vague info) and he's not alone.

Are there non-mafia organizations who can trace current members in different countries back to the 18th century? Legitimately asking, I know little about other groups.
Possibly some of the Chinese tongs/triads.

The way I see it, people are making a category error in trying to place the mafia in a comparative framework of “criminal organizations”, like gangs and DTOs. The mafia is a longstanding cultural tradition that hinges on an initiatory criminal secret society at its core. Cognate phenomena are triads, yakuza, the Nigerian Black Axe fraternities (themselves derived from much older initiatory male secret societies in southern Nigeria), even the Abakuá of Cuba, not DTOs or street gangs.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”