New LCNBios posts

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Clark
Straightened out

Re: New LCNBios posts

Post by Clark »

I actually found it in my notes much faster than I thought:

Q Did you go to that certain place?
Barone: I did.
Q What happened there?
Barone: I was inducted into the Genovese family, the Mafioso family.
Q Who was there?
Barone: A man by the name of Funzo Wahoo was the acting boss at the time and a man by the name Eli. They are both dead now.

It looks like he specifically states that Funzi was acting. Or maybe we just turned the research world upside down and have identified the real Genovese boss at the time...Funzo Wahoo.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Benny Mangano looks lke the actor who plays Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Clark wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:42 pm It looks like he specifically states that Funzi was acting. Or maybe we just turned the research world upside down and have identified the real Genovese boss at the time...Funzo Wahoo.
Gentlemen, you are now part of the Wanoo Family. If you need to refer to the boss, just honk a horn. Never say his name.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Prepare to be amazed by the great magician Funzo Wahoo.

What that's referring to is Tieri's full nickname "Funzuale" (ph). Not sure the proper spelling but it's in various reports and phonetically sounds like "Funz-wah".

That's three Genovese members active during this period who say Tieri was not the true boss. Barone calls him acting, Cafaro says he was acting/fronting for Lombardo, and Pussy Russo was recorded saying Lombardo was the real boss. With Russo it's hard to tell if he meant Lombardo was the rappresentante officiale, or if he just meant he was the defacto power ala Accardo or Ricca. Either way the case isn't closed on Tieri / Lombardo and I defer to the member sources.

So Barone was inducted into "the outfit" in an expedited ceremony. Sounds a lot like... a third of the Families in the US. What's posted doesn't explicitly say the gun, knife, and blood weren't involved but could assume a "brief" ceremony wouldn't include those. Mentioned it before, but Nino Calderone said even in Sicily they do expedited ceremonies sometimes out of necessity.
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

I had some time and went through my notes a little more. The only other reference to Genovese leadership pre-Gigante was this exchange:

Q Did you know that at the time after an individual named Lombardo, Benny Squid, did you ever hear that name?
Barone: Yes.
Q He was a person who before he died was the boss of the Genovese Family, right?
Q Then you've testified that after he was the boss of the Genovese Family, that Mr. Tiari --not Mr. Tiari, Mr. Gigante became the boss, correct?
Barone: Correct.

As for the ceremony:

"The ceremony that normally took place had to be shortened because the man was not as capable in his old age to carry on a big ceremony. I believed that I would be inducted into the family. That I would have to have a loyalty to the family until death that departs. Whatever the phrase, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera."
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Had anyone ever heard of the edict that was rumored to go into place after Spring 76 when everyone was approved to make a second, third, etc wave of guys... that no family was to induct anybody over the age of 50? News to me but there are a lot more well versed people on here with better memories than me. But that little thing really stuck out at me. I wonder who's idea it was. I may be able to take a guess on the group that wanted that rule, which is ironic because their M.O. today in that regard is the exact opposite
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:15 pm Benny Mangano looks lke the actor who plays Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Pogo
Ciro Perrone looks like him too lol. Margolis... he was the weirdo in the car with the RC bomb, ready to blow up that Diplomat's family, in Scarface. He looked like he didn't even age between Scarface and Breaking Bad either
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:04 pm Had anyone ever heard of the edict that was rumored to go into place after Spring 76 when everyone was approved to make a second, third, etc wave of guys... that no family was to induct anybody over the age of 50? News to me but there are a lot more well versed people on here with better memories than me. But that little thing really stuck out at me. I wonder who's idea it was. I may be able to take a guess on the group that wanted that rule, which is ironic because their M.O. today in that regard is the exact opposite

Whatever it was it doesn't look like it was carried out as several over 50 guys were made in the 1979s.

newera_212 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 pm [quote="Pogo The Clown" post_id=235301 time=<a href="tel:1660004138">1660004138</a> user_id=53]
Benny Mangano looks lke the actor who plays Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.
Ciro Perrone looks like him too lol. Margolis... he was the weirdo in the car with the RC bomb, ready to blow up that Diplomat's family, in Scarface. He looked like he didn't even age between Scarface and Breaking Bad either
[/quote]

He also played Joe Piney Armone in Boss of Bosses.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:13 pm
newera_212 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:04 pm Had anyone ever heard of the edict that was rumored to go into place after Spring 76 when everyone was approved to make a second, third, etc wave of guys... that no family was to induct anybody over the age of 50? News to me but there are a lot more well versed people on here with better memories than me. But that little thing really stuck out at me. I wonder who's idea it was. I may be able to take a guess on the group that wanted that rule, which is ironic because their M.O. today in that regard is the exact opposite

Whatever it was it doesn't look like it was carried out as several over 50 guys were made in the 1979s.

Pogo
Yea for a short minute I second guessed myself and thought "oh I wonder how long that was in effect for? " - between remembering some 50+ guys put in not too far after, and scrolling down on the rest of the post, quickly realized it was never enacted. Still kind of interesting though. The larger families pushing for more ceremonies because the initial 10 only benefited the smaller families was interesting too, if true; less than 10 years later didnt the largest family have "slots" open and no plans to fill them? (Per whoever overheard Gotti asking Chin about the membership numbers)
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 pm Margolis... he was the weirdo in the car with the RC bomb, ready to blow up that Diplomat's family, in Scarface. He looked like he didn't even age between Scarface and Breaking Bad either
Saw him on netflix a month ago (Snowpiercer) and remembered Scarface. I honestly thaught it was his son.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

New update about a Milwaukee member who was not only the consigliere of the family but also a city sanitation worker! Pete Gotti stands alone no more
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:13 pm

newera_212 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 pm [quote="Pogo The Clown" post_id=235301 time=<a href="tel:1660004138">1660004138</a> user_id=53]

See him on the street all the time for some reason. nice, quiet guy who could be a jewish acct or lawyer. I once asked him at BArnes and Voble off Greenwich on Warren who he was as he looked familiar. we locked eyes and i didn't want to be rude as he could've been an old contact that i forgot about. havent seen him in a few yrs come to think of it. sorrry, seeing a part time actor at the book store is a thrill, I know lol

Pogo
[/quote]
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

His part in breaking bad is his best role he's ever played. That show had so many great charters. Even better call saul just keeps making careers
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

Clark wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 pm I had some time and went through my notes a little more. The only other reference to Genovese leadership pre-Gigante was this exchange:

Q Did you know that at the time after an individual named Lombardo, Benny Squid, did you ever hear that name?
Q He was a person who before he died was the boss of the Genovese Family, right?
Q Then you've testified that after he was the boss of the Genovese Family, that Mr. Tiari --not Mr. Tiari, Mr. Gigante became the boss, correct?
Barone: Correct.

As for the ceremony:

"The ceremony that normally took place had to be shortened because the man was not as capable in his old age to carry on a big ceremony. I believed that I would be inducted into the family. That I would have to have a loyalty to the family until death that departs. Whatever the phrase, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera."
Thanks for sharing Clark. I've always been intrigued about what more info Barone could provide.
B. wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:58 pm That's three Genovese members active during this period who say Tieri was not the true boss. Barone calls him acting, Cafaro says he was acting/fronting for Lombardo, and Pussy Russo was recorded saying Lombardo was the real boss. With Russo it's hard to tell if he meant Lombardo was the rappresentante officiale, or if he just meant he was the defacto power ala Accardo or Ricca. Either way the case isn't closed on Tieri / Lombardo and I defer to the member sources.
Pussy Russo's brother John was also recorded saying this in 1977: "And put this in your mind. Benny Squint is the boss. Don't let anybody tell you any other (expletive)."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great find, DR. That's four.