What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by Pogo The Clown »

George Freselone ID's Parlevecchio as a Genovese member. I haven't read his book in a while but I believe he delt with him. Do we know when Polo died?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:31 pm George Freselone ID's Parlevecchio as a Genovese member. I haven't read his book in a while but I believe he delt with him. Do we know when Polo died?

Pogo
December 1st 2007
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks. 8-)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The FBI would give multiple local office codes (i.e. NK-T3, NK-T7) to a single source (whose true code was hidden) in order to help mask where the info was coming from.
Eld
Straightened out

Post by Eld »

The Parlavecchio from the Fresolone case was Nicholas Parlavecchio, a coke dealer/auto body shop owner that was a Genovese associate. It's not Joe Polo from obitary. But Nicholas Parlavecchio was the son of Joe Polo. Seems to be a case of misstaken identity/sloppy research.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:44 pm The FBI would give multiple local office codes (i.e. NK-T3, NK-T7) to a single source (whose true code was hidden) in order to help mask where the info was coming from.
That seems unnecessarily complicated but I get it, I guess. So one source identified Battaglia, Thomas Campisi and Joe Polo as Philadelphia members and they ran with it. I think they thought that Battaglia was with Philly because he repped Caponigro at a sit down.

---------------

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... elPageId=5)

I think that DeCarlo's comments on Battaglia implies that he's not a Philly member:

"Sure - they're making money together. He made an appointment with Jerry (Catena) and me. He went out and called up where Bananas was supposed to be waiting. He came back and said Bananas had to go away for two days. Sure he had to go to Philly and straighten himself out with (Angelo) Bruno, who is he to make appointments with other people's boss?"

The part in bold, to me, implies that Bruno isn't Battaglia's boss. I think the assessment that he was a Genovese member who was autonomous is the right one.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Eld wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:07 am The Parlavecchio from the Fresolone case was Nicholas Parlavecchio, a coke dealer/auto body shop owner that was a Genovese associate. It's not Joe Polo from obitary. But Nicholas Parlavecchio was the son of Joe Polo. Seems to be a case of misstaken identity/sloppy research.
Did Fresolone also name Joe Polo as a Genovese member or did he just interact with his son who was an associate?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Going from memory he IDs Joe Polo as a Genovese Captain. He also makes a Charles "Blackie" Luciano as a Gambino member. Does anyone know his current status? Thanks.

Pogo
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 am Going from memory he IDs Joe Polo as a Genovese Captain. He also makes a Charles "Blackie" Luciano as a Gambino member. Does anyone know his current status? Thanks.

Pogo
That's interesting, I would be pretty surprised if Polo was a captain. Their Jersey crews were fairly known at this point and I haven't heard of Polo before yesterday.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Does anyone know anything about Charles Noto?

----------

(https://www.google.ca/books/edition/Org ... frontcover)

- He was a Gambino member born in June 1910

- He operated in Wildwood, Cape May county

- He was not a member of the Cherry Hill Gambino crew

- His address was 7511 Seaview Ave. Wildwood Crest

----------

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV5Q-L14K)

This seems to be his obituary information, he died in October 1991.

----------

I don't think he was related to the other Notos. I didn't know that the Gambino family had a presence in the Cape May area.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am Does anyone know anything about Charles Noto?

----------

----------

----------

I don't think he was related to the other Notos. I didn't know that the Gambino family had a presence in the Cape May area.
From what I can tell, he was Pasquale Charles Noto, born in 1910 in Brooklyn.

1991 NJ USDI death record for Pasquale C Noto in Wildwood Crest states that he was born 1910/06/03. This matches a Pasquale Noto from NYC, parents Salvatore Noto and Rosina "Rose" Matranga. There's a birth record for a Pasquale Noto born in BK 1910/05/26 which is probably him (birthdates for people born in those days often get fudged around later by a few days, as most births were at home then). In 1920, Salvatore and Rose Noto had a son named Charles Noto, born ~1910, on the 1920 Census, so I'm pretty sure this is the guy you're looking at.

Salvatore Noto was born in 1876 in Palermo City and worked as a longshoreman on the Brooklyn docks. The Notos lived in Cobble Hill, where Pasquale was still living in 1940, on Sackett St. Rose seems to have been from Palermo City as well (a Rosaria Matranga from Palermo arrived on a ship to NYC with some Notos from Palermo; born ~1884, which fits her). Matranga, however, is an Arbereshe (Albanian) surname and suggests that she may have had ancestry from Piana dei Greci (today, Piana degli Albanesi) or Monreale.

In 1941, Pasquale Noto enlisted in the army for WW2. In the 1950 census, he is shown living on Sackett St with his father and working as a longshoreman himself. Probably relocated to NJ around this time. The Palermo City ancestry and connection to the BK docks both fit Gambino membership, of course.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JoelTurner wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 am I think they thought that Battaglia was with Philly because he repped Caponigro at a sit down.
I agree, that transcript is probably the main source of the confusion.

It brings to mind a Chicago discussion where a member consulted the Family boss about an issue and they were going to consult with a certain capodecina -- some interpreted it to mean this was the member's captain, but it's evident in context that this was not the member's capodecina but another captain who had insight into the specific issue being argued.

I believe something similar played out with Battaglia, where he attended the sitdown with Caponigro not as his formal representative (i.e. capodecina) but in some kind of support or witness capacity on Caponigro's behalf. It's not uncommon for sitdowns to bring in other individuals to "testify". Maybe that's what happened with Caponigro / Battaglia, as it's very clear at least to me Battaglia was not a Philly member.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:18 am
JoelTurner wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am Does anyone know anything about Charles Noto?

----------

----------

----------

From what I can tell, he was Pasquale Charles Noto, born in 1910 in Brooklyn.

1991 NJ USDI death record for Pasquale C Noto in Wildwood Crest states that he was born 1910/06/03. This matches a Pasquale Noto from NYC, parents Salvatore Noto and Rosina "Rose" Matranga. There's a birth record for a Pasquale Noto born in BK 1910/05/26 which is probably him (birthdates for people born in those days often get fudged around later by a few days, as most births were at home then). In 1920, Salvatore and Rose Noto had a son named Charles Noto, born ~1910, on the 1920 Census, so I'm pretty sure this is the guy you're looking at.

Salvatore Noto was born in 1876 in Palermo City and worked as a longshoreman on the Brooklyn docks. The Notos lived in Cobble Hill, where Pasquale was still living in 1940, on Sackett St. Rose seems to have been from Palermo City as well (a Rosaria Matranga from Palermo arrived on a ship to NYC with some Notos from Palermo; born ~1884, which fits her). Matranga, however, is an Arbereshe (Albanian) surname and suggests that she may have had ancestry from Piana dei Greci (today, Piana degli Albanesi) or Monreale.

In 1941, Pasquale Noto enlisted in the army for WW2. In the 1950 census, he is shown living on Sackett St with his father and working as a longshoreman himself. Probably relocated to NJ around this time. The Palermo City ancestry and connection to the BK docks both fit Gambino membership, of course.
Thank You!

Yeah, family from Palermo and worked the Brooklyn docks is very Gambino. I guess he moved down to Cape May and stayed low-key
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:39 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 am I think they thought that Battaglia was with Philly because he repped Caponigro at a sit down.
I agree, that transcript is probably the main source of the confusion.

I believe something similar played out with Battaglia, where he attended the sitdown with Caponigro not as his formal representative (i.e. capodecina) but in some kind of support or witness capacity on Caponigro's behalf. It's not uncommon for sitdowns to bring in other individuals to "testify". Maybe that's what happened with Caponigro / Battaglia, as it's very clear at least to me Battaglia was not a Philly member.
Another element to consider is that Caponigro may not have had a captain to rep him. I always heard that he was in John “Johnny Keys” Simone’s crew, but I’ve seen information that he was direct with Bruno.

——————

Plus, he seems to have had a contentious relationship with Angelo Bruno literally from day one.

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... elPageId=5)

“But believed that Bruno won’t last long because he came up too fast. He said that Tony Caponigro wa., Tony Bananas of Newark, N.J., or someone else might possibly kill Bruno or have him moved out of the way.”

This is from 1958. Their issues wouldn’t come to a head until much later, but clearly there was something there.

——————

If he doesn’t have a good relationship with Bruno and was close to Battaglia, it would make sense why he would let him rep him in a sit down.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If Battaglia was a Genovese member he couldn't formally represent Caponigro, but could have stood up for him and added to Caponigro's defense. Caponigro himself was once misidentified as a Genovese member and most of the pre-1960s info on him shows him to associate very closely with the Genovese Family, including a big partnership with Richie Boiardo in the 1950s, so he was closely intertwined with them.

Both Fresolone and Licata said Caponigro started as a Gambino associate, but you don't see him associating as much with them. Nothing has surfaced that I'm aware of about when Caponigro was made.