General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Tonyd621 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:04 pm At what point do the higher ups get annoyed with all the media coverage Sarno is getting, his I'll futed attempts to get out of jail and now talks of "hollywood?"
Given his health, they probably figure that nature will simply take its course sooner rather than later.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Tonyd621 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:08 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:36 pm https://fb.watch/eh_kXlg1Mh/

Gigi Rovito doing his shtick at Capri Ristorante in Burr Ridge. Is DJ Sammi I, who spins regularly at Capri, Sammy Inendino?
After some digging it is Sammy Inendino...

https://boredommd.com/place/taylor-stre ... 9-chicago/
Yeah, I figured, as I knew that he was close to the Rovitos.

BTW, Jimmy I is the "Godfather" of the Taylor St Festa.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:26 pm
Tonyd621 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:04 pm At what point do the higher ups get annoyed with all the media coverage Sarno is getting, his I'll futed attempts to get out of jail and now talks of "hollywood?"
Given his health, they probably figure that nature will simply take its course sooner rather than later.
Sarno lost both of his legs? According to a recent SB article posted by furio... I dontremember the news reporting that or writing it and if I did I missed it. That fact has gone overlooked imo making his outfit career close to over... who are some of the guy(s) that took his place? I know there is probably not much left to take over but there still has to be some vice(s) that people have or needs that ppl look to them for like loans and such
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:03 am
Sarno lost both of his legs? According to a recent SB article posted by furio... I dontremember the news reporting that or writing it and if I did I missed it. That fact has gone overlooked imo making his outfit career close to over... who are some of the guy(s) that took his place? I know there is probably not much left to take over but there still has to be some vice(s) that people have or needs that ppl look to them for like loans and such
Latest account that we had, Solly D as boss, Sal Cautadella as UB, Jimmy I as Cicero capo but Louie Rainone as the main made guy running things for Jimmy. Other reputed recent made guys like Matteo and Massimo LoBue and Jason Nitti were stated to report directly to Solly D. Discussed in posts above by Antiliar.
Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dr031718 »

I interpreted it as losing the use of both his legs. Based on the recent photo I posted in the mugshot section it appears he still has his legs. Just my opinion though
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:43 pm
Latest account that we had, Solly D as boss, Sal Cautadella as UB, Jimmy I as Cicero capo but Louie Rainone as the main made guy running things for Jimmy. Other reputed recent made guys like Matteo and Massimo LoBue and Jason Nitti were stated to report directly to Solly D. Discussed in posts above by Antiliar.
Louie Rainone related to the flip flopping Mario Rainone?
Never heard of LoBue or Nitti. It's been about a year plus since I been actively researching chicago though; reasoning is, It's hard for me to find current news on them-like 2015> or primarily after family secrets on anything new. They used to be my favorite OC group to read,discuss about etc
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:38 pm
Never heard of LoBue or Nitti. It's been about a year plus since I been actively researching chicago though; reasoning is, It's hard for me to find current news on them-like 2015> or primarily after family secrets on anything new. They used to be my favorite OC group to read,discuss about etc
I think Rainone is related to Mario but not a direct relative. The LoBues and Nitti seem to be more businessmen than racketeers, but that's not surprising in the modern-era Outfit.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:38 pm
Yes, they are supposedly brothers. Mario is in fact working at the pawnshop sthat Louie owns on Cicero and Roosevelt. He’s been working there since being released from prison. It’s the same pawnshop that Sarno and the Outlaws owned.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Went through Phil Priola's files that Gavin shared and they're some of the best on there, most of them showing Maniaci's deep knowledge of that Family.

August 1964 "big meeting" in Chicago involving Chicago, Rockford, and San Francisco Families:

Musso wanted Priola to become boss but his recent move from Chicago turned members off and the Aragona members supported one of their own paesans for boss instead. Jim DeGeorge backed Priola as Rockford boss. Also interesting Maniaci felt Calo transferred to a Sicilian Family

Confirmation of Santo Virruso's membership in the Chicago Family:

Priola's induction:

Like Kansas City and Chicago Families, murder played a big role in induction:

Priola was suspected of gathering support from the zips -- in the Chicago zip thread I mentioned Priola was involved with Pietro Alfano:

"15 to 20" made members in Las Vegas from different Families, with a Pueblo capodecina wanting to organize them as a Family:

Chicago unable to control internal Rockford Family matters:

Reference to Joe Priola being an "old timer" with the Chicago Family and his 100th birthday attended by Milwaukee and Madison members:

Chicago member Joe Priola was a professional musician and member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

Phil Priola's baptismal godparents in Chicago:

Joe Maggio made for "special" reasons and Buscemi likely to bring Rockford closer to Chicago

Ex-Chicago member Sam Oliveri's activity in Rockford. In the second excerpt it shows he was receptive to the FBI and potentially willing to give historic info:
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

And ppl like Dote and Caruso are viewed as...
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:26 pm
And ppl like Dote and Caruso are viewed as...
Dote is nobody, Caruso is pretty much inactive
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

With the info about DeGeorge / Priola in mind, we know that in addition to his role in the Chicago Family "Cheese War", he tried to meddle in Milwaukee and Rockford Family politics. He failed each time.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:18 pm Went through Phil Priola's files that Gavin shared and they're some of the best on there, most of them showing Maniaci's deep knowledge of that Family.

August 1964 "big meeting" in Chicago involving Chicago, Rockford, and San Francisco Families:

Musso wanted Priola to become boss but his recent move from Chicago turned members off and the Aragona members supported one of their own paesans for boss instead. Jim DeGeorge backed Priola as Rockford boss. Also interesting Maniaci felt Calo transferred to a Sicilian Family

Confirmation of Santo Virruso's membership in the Chicago Family:

Priola's induction:

Like Kansas City and Chicago Families, murder played a big role in induction:

Priola was suspected of gathering support from the zips -- in the Chicago zip thread I mentioned Priola was involved with Pietro Alfano:

"15 to 20" made members in Las Vegas from different Families, with a Pueblo capodecina wanting to organize them as a Family:

Chicago unable to control internal Rockford Family matters:

Reference to Joe Priola being an "old timer" with the Chicago Family and his 100th birthday attended by Milwaukee and Madison members:

Chicago member Joe Priola was a professional musician and member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

Phil Priola's baptismal godparents in Chicago:

Joe Maggio made for "special" reasons and Buscemi likely to bring Rockford closer to Chicago

Ex-Chicago member Sam Oliveri's activity in Rockford. In the second excerpt it shows he was receptive to the FBI and potentially willing to give historic info:
The 1964 meeting with San Fran was supposed to take place at Sam Battaglia’s farm out in Pingree Grove, a little town in Kane County west of Elgin (roughly in the middle of Chicago and Rockford), according to a conversation with the Balistrieris that Maniaci told the FBI about. The Feds believed that this was related to the Commission appointing Bonanno’s replacement, and set up surveillance on the farm. During the period in question, however, the only out-of-state vehicle seen on the premises belonged to Tony Panzica’s brother, Dominick, who had been living in Milwaukee for some time (Tony Panzica was himself an associate of the Battaglia crew who frequented Battaglia’s farm; this intel led me to wonder if Dominick Panzica was working as a driver for the Balistrieris).

The Priola-DeGeorge connection makes perfect sense, and is interesting in that it gives us a glimpse into the local politics between Chicago and Rockford. While Chicago was Rockford’s avugad, and obviously a far more powerful family, Rockford was subordinate to them only in the sense of representation on the Commission. As with Milwaukee before Balistrieri, Chicago wasn’t simply able to impose its will on Rockford or appoint their rappresentante. If Chicago were what many assume they were — simply a gang or “crime syndicate” — then presumably they’d have had no compunction about muscling in on Rockford or taking out their leadership and replacing them with puppets or the like. But Chicago was, of course, a mafia family and played by the rules of mafia politics; even when it attempted to meddle in smaller families’ internal affairs, these were still autonomous families and Chicago treated them as such. Rockford obviously had a healthy and well-warranted suspicion of Chicago attempts to dominate or control them, hence distrusting a guy as close to Chicago as Priola with control of the family.

Interesting that Maniaci claimed that Virruso was from Casteldaccia. From what we have documented on him, he was from Pietraperzia (which had many people in Chicago and an active paesani society there for decades), apparently by way of Àlcamo. Now, Casteldaccia is interesting because there absolutely are Virrusos in Casteldaccia and some of them were also in Chicago. If Virruso had ties to Casteldaccia, that could’ve placed him within the “Chicago Triangle” network, with the mafia in Casteldaccia closely intertwined with that of Bagheria, Ficarazzi (the Priolas), and Villabate.

The Vegas/Pueblo stuff is news to me and very interesting. Nothing to add there, apart from noting that, yet again, there are many things that happened that we just don’t know about.

Joe Priola having played in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra puts him with the various other professional-type mafia members that we’ve seen with other families over the years. Goes to show that Chicago was no different in this; for me, at least, also goes to further demonstrate that we can’t make assumptions about some of these lower key, old school Sicilians in Chicago. Only because of Maniaci do we even know that Joe Priola was a member and still an active part of the mafia social network at such an advanced age (who knows how with it he would’ve still been at that age, but he wasn’t some forgotten relic discarded in the dustbin of ancient history after the Capone guys took over the family, which tells us a lot, I think). In all likelihood, there were other guys like this who we don’t have a member CI source confirming. The guys that we do know about were criminally active, guys running major criminal rackets, with their names in the papers. This is a major bias in our data; even when we can’t change the nature of the documented evidence that we have, we need to keep that in mind and remind ourselves that not all of the Chicago mafia was legible in that sort of way. Every casual mob enthusiast and their mother knows who Sam fuckin DeStefano was, and he wasn’t even a member. But Priola had guys traveling from other families to pay respect to him as an elder on his birthday, and no one knows who Joe Priola was.

Imagine if Olivieri actually informed to the Feds; imagine what a guy like that could’ve told them about the history of the Chicago family. As you’ve said before, B, one name, one sentence in a document that one of us uncovers could completely flip our understanding of things. Things that we know or suspect could be further confirmed or fleshed out; or, with someone like Olivieri, he could possibly have overturned our assumptions of the history of Chicago. Same with Rockford. Our picture of the origins of that family and its early history is very murky and Olivieri could have provided info there that we would otherwise never have suspected.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Maniaci's wife's family was from Casteldaccia and father-in-law was a Rockford member, so he may have heard something about Virruso from them or could have been mistaken if he's not from there. Rockford underboss Jasper Calo was also from Casteldaccia.

With the Rockford election, notice it's the semi-retired DeGeorge trying to push the son of an old Northside member in as boss, not Giancana, Accardo, or Ricca acting as regional "capo dei capi". When we hear about the Chicago Family trying to influence other midwest Families we have a tendency to assume it's the obvious top names when it could very well be situations like DeGeorge, where he's trying to influence things within his own network. That seems to be true for Chicago and Detroit's role in St. Louis as well, where it was based on deeper relationships between specific members.

From Maniaci's perspective, Rockford was very resistant to Chicago influence and it doesn't sound like the top Chicago leaders were eager to involve themselves. One FBI summary in Priola's files was about Ferrara's ignorance of the Rockford leadership -- they cited this as one indication the Chicago Family wasn't particularly interested in Rockford which I'd say is fair. Maniaci did say however that if Buscemi became boss it would invite more Chicago influence which, from the look of later reports, proved to be somewhat accurate.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Not related to any topic in the thread, but I was in Chicago visiting my grandparents in Elmwood Park last week. Spend some time in various restaurants etc. You can still understand how despite so many crazy advancements in technology, culture, etc, the "thing" still hangs on somehow, albiet in a much smaller, much more hidden kind of way. Many places there still have that vibe, with older white haired gentlemen having quiet conversations in the back of restaurants. It's a tiny urban sub-culture , but it was evident to me how it still can exist in some manner.

Highlight of the trip was a night at Donny G's ristorante in EP. Talk about the "vibe". The food was freakin excellent and if you are ever in the area I would highly suggest it. The homemade rigatoni was killer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO39eZHgfyg