General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by B. »

Valachi is one of the big sources of the Chicago doesn't deal drugs myth. He said they were paid a weekly salary not to sell drugs, then it was upped to a higher amount. Who told him that though?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:10 pm Valachi is one of the big sources of the Chicago doesn't deal drugs myth. He said they were paid a weekly salary not to sell drugs, then it was upped to a higher amount. Who told him that though?
They should have asked Frank Borelli and Frank Pasqua.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:13 pm
That Elvis impersonator was something else. Great voice. Spavone's vocals weren't bad either.
Yeah, Elvis, Deano, canzoni napoletane, and country music, lol. That video was a real window into Chitalia.

Funny, but I’d bet most average American people who don’t know a lot of Italians would never guess how popular country music is. Makes me think of these guys who ran the local pizzeria back when I used to live in BK. Young guys in their 20s, Sicilian immigrant family from Marine Park, and they only played country music, all the time, lol.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm
PolackTony wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm From the "Associates" thread:
PolackTony wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 am In terms of personal “associates” who are friends/partners with a high-ranking member, we can look at the example of Tony Accardo’s trip to Italy in 1973. Accardo was accompanied by personal friends who were also successful businessmen in Chicago: Nick Nitti (who owned the travel agency, along with Accardo’s son, that presumably booked the arrangements for this trip), restauranteur Al Meo, and wealthy grocery store owner Rosario Marino (originally from Cefalu). Their wives all came along, we can assume that a major element here was purely social. They may have also did some business in Italy, but it’s not like these guys went there to set up narcotics or contraband trafficking rings or something; most likely, they may have met with some people who were interested in having some Ital-American business people invest in local ventures or the like. The FBI seemed to think so, as following the trip, they interviewed wealthy Chicago wine importer Antonino Paternò (from Vizzini, Catania) afterwards concerning his connections to Accardo and allegations from Italian police that Paternò’s wine suppliers in Tuscany and Sicily were controlled by the mafia (the Feds stated that Paternò at the time was the largest wine importer in the US); Italian LE had informed the FBI that Accardo’s itinerary had included Tuscany, so maybe he visited one of those suppliers.
Antonino Paternò's wine and liquor store (the retail end of his major wine import and wholesaling business) was located at Grand and Western (which is also where fellow Accardo buddy Rosario Marino's grocery business was located); after Paternò left the business to his partner, Michele Di Carlo, it was renamed DiCarlo's Armanetti Wine and Liquors (we used to use their parking lot for our basketball court when I was a kid). Michele Di Carlo was born in 1920 in Santa Ninfa, Trapani. After earning a degree at the University of Naples, Di Carlo emigrated to Chicago in 1947, where Di Carlo began working for Paternò. DiCarlo wound up opening 3 other Armanetti locations in the suburbs.

Interesting to note that the partner and successor of one of Accardo's personal associates was an immigrant from Santa Ninfa, given Accardo's ancestry from Castelvetrano. In 1945, before emigrating to the US, Di Carlo married his wife Caroline Funai in Barga, Lucca, Toscana, a major wine-producing area. She was born in Chicago to parents from Tuscany, so Di Carlo clearly already had some ties to Chicago; his 1947 passenger manifest states that his uncle Vincenzo Di Carlo was already living in Chicago. An FBI file called Paternò the largest wine importer in the US in the early 70s, and he specifically had close links to wine producers in Tuscany and Sicily which Italian police had informed the FBI had ties to the mafia (Paternò was the sole US importer of a brand called "Sicilian Gold"). This intel, as noted above, was relayed to the FBI in the context of Accardo's 1973 trip to Italy, which included a visit to Tuscany. Apparently, one of the facilities that Paternò himself owned in Tuscany was raided several months afterward by Italian police, who believed that Paternò was linked to Sicilian "mafia members" who had been exiled from Sicily to the mainland by the authorities (we all know how that genius plan of internal exile for mafiosi turned out).
Following the raid on Tony Paternò's wine facility in Tuscany, for suspected links to Sicilian Cosa Nostra members operating in Mainland Italy, the FBI had intel that Accardo allegedly sent Al Pilotto to Italy:

CI told the FBI that Pilotto was instructed to take messages to Accardo's friends in Italy. Memo from the San Diego FO, so I'm assuming that the CI here was Bompensiero:

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Really solid find. Comes from a reputable source and shows there was ongoing contact between Italy and Chicago + that Accardo used a Family member to carry messages.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

John Spilotro is still alive, isn't he? I haven't found any evidence to the contrary. Just curious. I believe he was between Pat and Michael (youngest Spilotro) in age and would be about 81 now. Old, but not ancient, so very realistic that he'd still be around.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Snakes wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 am John Spilotro is still alive, isn't he? I haven't found any evidence to the contrary. Just curious. I believe he was between Pat and Michael (youngest Spilotro) in age and would be about 81 now. Old, but not ancient, so very realistic that he'd still be around.
I’ve mentioned before, but I know one of the family personally. Will try to confirm and let you know.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Intel from Berwyn Councilman George Vydra (a personal associate of Joe Amato and Chuckie English who was informing to the FBI) that Amato was set to meet in AZ with Bill Bonanno and Bonanno member Charlie Battaglia. Amato told Vydra that he and Battaglia were then going to travel to Chicago:

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

1974 info, presumably from Bompensiero, that Bill Bonanno was meeting with Chris Petti and Joe Sica in LA around Montgomery Ward home improvement franchises in SoCal that Petti and Sica were invested in:

Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dr031718 »

Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Dr031718 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:58 am Update on Mike Sarno

https://abc7chicago.com/mike-sarno-chi ... /12052508/
Thanks. Good footage of his wedding in 1990.

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Dr031718 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:58 am Update on Mike Sarno

https://abc7chicago.com/mike-sarno-chi ... /12052508/
"It's a big, it's a big producer on it --the producer of 'Man on Fire' with Denzel Washington --so they want to talk," Chwarzynski said. "Right now, we're in the talks of-- they want to start with the podcast and then simultaneously write a book and the screenplay."
“Large and in Charge: the Fat Mike Sarno Story”

BTW, Sarno’s lawyer John Chwarzynski is Vito Spillone’s grandson.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

https://fb.watch/eh_kXlg1Mh/

Gigi Rovito doing his shtick at Capri Ristorante in Burr Ridge. Is DJ Sammi I, who spins regularly at Capri, Sammy Inendino?
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

At what point do the higher ups get annoyed with all the media coverage Sarno is getting, his I'll futed attempts to get out of jail and now talks of "hollywood?"
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:36 pm https://fb.watch/eh_kXlg1Mh/

Gigi Rovito doing his shtick at Capri Ristorante in Burr Ridge. Is DJ Sammi I, who spins regularly at Capri, Sammy Inendino?
After some digging it is Sammy Inendino...

https://boredommd.com/place/taylor-stre ... 9-chicago/