What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by B. »

Yeah I probably end up repeating myself 100x in these long threads.

Same Mike Russo. He spent time in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and I believe Boston in addition to NJ. Attended important national meetings as both a resident of NJ and Pittsburgh, so his stature applied in both places. Sam DeCavalcante talked about an unspecified incident too where Mike Russo sought the protection of the Commission.

With some of these other guys, if they were old enough to be made before 1931 they could have been members but we just don't have enough sources on this Family to say for sure. We're lucky we have the few references we do.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Does anyone know who’s Salvatore Di Palermo ?

He’s listed as a New Jersey capo in the Lucchese family (https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... PageId=124)

I’m guessing that the caporegime known as “Penooks” was Benny Pizzolato so it’s not him.

Their lists weren’t always accurate, Sam De Cavalcante is listed as a member of the Magliocco family on this very page.

Even if wasn’t a Lucchese capo, they had to have gotten the name from somewhere.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If I remember right they confused the name of Lucchese NJ soldier Salvatore LoProto.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:20 pm Does anyone know who’s Salvatore Di Palermo ?

He’s listed as a New Jersey capo in the Lucchese family (https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... PageId=124)

I’m guessing that the caporegime known as “Penooks” was Benny Pizzolato so it’s not him.

Their lists weren’t always accurate, Sam De Cavalcante is listed as a member of the Magliocco family on this very page.

Even if wasn’t a Lucchese capo, they had to have gotten the name from somewhere.
I wonder if this guy was related to Charles and Joseph Di Palermo, who were among the guys indicted in the big 1958 narcotics case with Genovese, Galante, Evola, Rocco Mazzie, and John Ormento. These guys were said to be Lucchese associates working with Genovese associates Carmine and Ralph Polizzano (I believe that all of them had ancestry from Marineo, Palermo province, though I’m not 100% sure) in heroin trafficking to Chicago, Cleveland, and other locations. Joseph “Joe Beck” Di Palermo was also the guy that Valachi thought Genovese sent to kill him in prison. There was another brother named Peter, but I’ve never seen a Salvatore Di Palermo anywhere, though the Luccheses during that period I think are a bit mysterious (we know, for example, that they seem to have tended to not introduce their members to other families).
B. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:27 pm If I remember right they confused the name of Lucchese NJ soldier Salvatore LoProto.
EDIT: Just saw this. Maybe the Feds got their wires crossed and conflated LoProto with the Di Palermos?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Here's where it's clarified:

Can't tell if it was just a mistake or if it was an alias used by LoProto, but it's a reference to him.

There were two families of DiPalermos, the infamous ones with the Prince Street crew who came from Marineo, then another set of DiPalermos from Corleone who were under Morello very early.

Glancing at records, it looks like LoProto's family may have come from Marineo like the Prince Street DiPalermos so maybe he was yet another part of that big mafia clan and used it as an alias.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:35 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:20 pm Does anyone know who’s Salvatore Di Palermo ?

I wonder if this guy was related to Charles and Joseph Di Palermo
That was my first thought too. He wasn’t one of the Beck brothers: Joseph, Anthony, Steve, Peter, and Charles

(https://theblackhand.club/joseph-dipa ... se-family/)
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:27 pm If I remember right they confused the name of Lucchese NJ soldier Salvatore LoProto.
You’re right.

Based of his description, he doesn’t strike me as a possible Newark member. All of his associates were from NYC and they said that he was a part of Ormento’s East Harlem group

(https://books.google.ca/books?id=z3xKAQ ... to&f=false)
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:46 pm Here's where it's clarified:

Can't tell if it was just a mistake or if it was an alias used by LoProto, but it's a reference to him.
Good find
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah checking up on him he was born in NJ but seems to have been part of the NYC element. Census shows his family moved to NYC. Too young to be with Newark anyway.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:23 pm
Unfortunately we don't know if Gentile specified that Newark was a "New York - New Jersey Family", if the FBI had other intel suggesting that, or if they were simply saying the Newark Family existed in the NYC-NJ metro area.
Here’s something that will interest you: “[Joseph Chiana] is the son of Giuseppe Chiana, a reputed enforcer for a New York-New Jersey criminal organization”

(https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digitizat ... 9NCJRS.pdf) Page 73

——————

It’s an interesting phrase that they used considering that Chiana Sr. had ties to Sam Accardi. For example, despite their large presence in New Jersey, most people would describe the Genovese as one of NYC’s Five Families. This terminology calls back to what Gentile said.
Last edited by JoelTurner on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Do we know when LoProto died? Thanks.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:46 pm Here's where it's clarified:

There were two families of DiPalermos, the infamous ones with the Prince Street crew who came from Marineo, then another set of DiPalermos from Corleone who were under Morello very early.

Glancing at records, it looks like LoProto's family may have come from Marineo like the Prince Street DiPalermos so maybe he was yet another part of that big mafia clan and used it as an alias.
Interesting find on LoProto. I believe that the Genovese-affiliated Polizzano brothers were also Marinesi (surname originally Pulizzano) and were working with the Di Palermo brothers. There were a bunch of Marinesi in Chicago, and several members there also had ancestry from Marineo, which could be relevant given that these NYC Marinesi had heroin connections there. Always worthwhile considering these kinds of potential paesani networks.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:08 pm Do we know when LoProto died? Thanks.

Pogo
April 1971

(https://sortedbyname.com/letter_l/l174187.html)
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks. 8-)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Eld wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:34 pm On the same day as Gaspare D'Amico was shot, Feb 22 1937, two Newark brothers was shot in a Newark tavern. John Licari (c 1911) died that day and Anthony (c 1908) died a few days later. Newspaper accounts says they were involved in the 'alcohol racket'. Andrew Licari had a brother named John, who was an Lucchese associate, but it's not him. Of course the D'Amico and Licari shooting could be completely unrelated, but the timeframe makes it interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/1937/02/23/arch ... -lone.html
The D’Amico shooting happened earlier in the day prior to the Licari murders. (https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipp ... ArB7hLy4VA)

The article also mentions some other names:

- Ralph Carbone who found the brothers and took Anthony to the hospital

- John Insabella, 26, who owned the tavern. His father was Harry Insabella and his sister was Antoinette

- Roy Romero, 37, who was asleep. (Who sleeps in a bar where there was a shooting? He must have been really wasted)

——————-

There was a Joseph Insabella in Frank Perrone’s crew later on; the name isn’t super common so that’s interesting.

There was a Ralph Carbone involved with Joseph Paterno’s crew, I don’t know if it’s the same guy though.

I don’t think the two events were connected. The brothers don’t seem to have been major figures.