Castellammare Post-WWII

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Castellammare Post-WWII

Post by B. »

Be very interesting if Joe Buccellato was related to the Navarra-Giordano-Bonventre-Fiordillino clan.

Another is whether Cesare Bonventre was related to them too. His father looks to be another Gaspare Bonventre and given the naming patterns, he and Giordano/Navarra's uncles Gaspare/Pietro Bonventre could be cousins or something. Cesare was obviously close to these guys.

A guy I wonder about is Antonino Aiello from Castellammare. He was on record as an associate of Joe Buccellato and was misidentified for years (even as of 2014) as a Bonanno member, but only his son was made with the Bonannos. I'm starting to wonder if Antonino was made in Sicily and technically an associate of the Bonannos (like other Sicilian members who didn't transfer) but still a made member overseas which would explain some of the confusion over his membership.
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

Interesting article about confiscated Mafia property in CDG. I know the state donated some of Calabro's and Asaro's properties to the Church. They turned the buildings in centers for orphaned children. One govt report indicated that auctioning off these properties is difficult considering few people want to purchase these lands, for obvious reasons. This article sheds more light on the issue:

https://www.alqamah.it/2021/02/17/caste ... ciale-1-2/

https://www.alqamah.it/2021/02/18/caste ... ciale-2-2/
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

Here are a few more details about Stefano Leale. I mentioned him in my first post for this thread. He was significant Mafioso from Alcamo. He was gunned down in 1959, Palermo. I have in my notes that Nino Buccellato was one of the suspected shooters.

There's some good info on the murder in Panteleone's book: "He was killed right in the center of town, in the Via Torino, one of the beautiful, wide running streets running between Via Maqueda and Via Roma. His killers traveled to the spot on three old bicycles, one of which was provided with a baker's pannier in which firearms were hidden."

Two saw-offed shotguns and numerous shells were discarded at the scene. Apparently he survived some prior assassination attempts. Leale was protected by Rimi and on good terms with the Grecos, but apparently that came to end. I'll keep digging to figure out what happened.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Got some clarification -- Sal Montagna was sponsored into the Bonannos by Baldo Amato and he's the one Fiordillino said Montagna began emulating after he was made.

Also Giuseppe Bosco is from Castellammare del Golfo as we suspected and his cousins are the Boscos made with the Castellammare Family. The Bonventres listed as CDG members in recent decades are the cousins of Bonanno members Nana and Jack Bonventre. Nana and Jack are also relatives of the Buccellatos.

Bonanno captain Santo Giordano's uncle was CDG boss Nino Buccellato, killed in the early 1980s. Cesare Bonventre cautioned Giordano and others about going to Sicily during this time due to the war going on there, as Bonventre did not want the US Castellammarese to get involved.

There's still a lot of interrelation between the current Castellammarese in the Bonannos and the CDG Family.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 pm Got some clarification -- Sal Montagna was sponsored into the Bonannos by Baldo Amato and he's the one Fiordillino said Montagna began emulating after he was made.

Also Giuseppe Bosco is from Castellammare del Golfo as we suspected and his cousins are the Boscos made with the Castellammare Family. The Bonventres listed as CDG members in recent decades are the cousins of Bonanno members Nana and Jack Bonventre. Nana and Jack are also relatives of the Buccellatos.

Bonanno captain Santo Giordano's uncle was CDG boss Nino Buccellato, killed in the early 1980s. Cesare Bonventre cautioned Giordano and others about going to Sicily during this time due to the war going on there, as Bonventre did not want the US Castellammarese to get involved.

There's still a lot of interrelation between the current Castellammarese in the Bonannos and the CDG Family.
Is Bosco Gucciardi's Joe? His boss?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

CabriniGreen wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:57 pm
B. wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 pm Got some clarification -- Sal Montagna was sponsored into the Bonannos by Baldo Amato and he's the one Fiordillino said Montagna began emulating after he was made.

I've always felt the Corleonesi targeted the Sicilians with direct ties to the US. To cut out any possibilities of political intrigues. Both Gambino and Bonannos. I really think they were comfortable with the Luchesses because of the lack of these extensive ties. I think maybe certain guys were steered towards the Luchesses, like LaPorta, Loduca, Davi maybe. I think this is partly why their Sicilian faction kinda comes outta nowhere...... just some thoughts....
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CabriniGreen wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Could be the guy "Joe" who Mistretta referred to

The person I spoke to is 100% reputable in his knowledge of the Bonanno Sicilian faction but has active knowledge only up through the early 2000s. He said Bosco was made "late" and thought he was shelved in recent years. He said there are two different branches of Boscos but Joe Bosco is definitely the cousin of the Boscos in the Castellammare Family.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Good info. Do we have any idea how old Bosco is?
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Didn't come up. I think he's an older guy, though.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Great info B!

Interesting that Bosco was possibly shelved. It does explain why theres no mention of him after DiFiore becomes acting boss.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, he was the highest-ranking zip after Montagna left and up to that point the Sicilians appear to have been Mancuso supporters. It's after Bosco that we see the zips switch allegiance to Cammarano. Possible Bosco played a role in that shift and was punished as a result, much as other Cammarano supporters were shelved.

However we should take this piece of info as a rumor, as the source could have only heard this through the grapevine and isn't involved with the Bonanno Family anymore.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Sources tell Gang Land that Bonanno soldier Anthony (Little Anthony) Seccafico was being investigated for possible involvement in an imprisoned mob chieftain’s plan to kill Greg Andres, a top federal prosecutor who has plagued Seccafico’s Bonanno crime family.
[...]
Sources say Seccafico was recently overheard discussing an aborted 2005 plot to whack Andres with a member of the Bonanno family’s Sicilian faction. Little Anthony, and the second suspect, whose identity Gang Land could not immediately confirm, were part of a Bronx-based crew that is viewed as the power base for the battered Bonannos, sources say.
Wondering if this zip was Bosco now. Doesn't appear to be Montagna anyway.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That sounds more like Montagna given he was a Sicilian faction member with the Bronx crew, the only one we know of. In 2005 he was acting capodecina of the DeFilippo crew. If there was another Sicilian faction member in the Bronx crew that'd be very interesting.

I'll see if I can find out who Montagna reported to before DeFilippo. Cicale said he was reassigned to DeFilippo when Sciascia was killed. However Montagna was sponsored by Baldo Amato who was in the Attanasio crew so maybe he was there unless they assigned him somewhere else after he was made.

Based on the Massino tapes it sounds like Bosco was also brought in or proposed by Amato and he likely belonged to a Queens crew unless they assigned him somewhere random.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

This is what HairyKnuckles posted about Bosco a few years ago. Glad I finally found these posts.
He was a member of Louis DeCicco 's crew. He probably took over from him if he ever was a captain or acring captain.
It´s a surprise to me as well. I think Bosco is an older guy, 80 plus something. It´s possible he was a skipper in between DeCicco and Pepitone, but stepped down due to illness or something. First time I´m hearing (reading) he was a captain. He may have transfered to another crew, or given a crew
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That's what I was thinking given Urso's guys (Middle Village crew) were assigned to DeCicco.