What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by B. »

You brought up Pietro Giallombardo in the original post...

- From Belmonte Mezzagno

- Living in Trenton in 1932 when he was arrested for the Bazzano murder in NYC. Compaesano of fellow arrestee Joe Traina.

- His brother Giuseppe Giallombardo was a big NYC counterfeiter with the early Gambino Family.

- Pietro in Trenton might have been with the Philly Belmontesi faction or he could have been an early Gambino member there given his ties to Traina. One record also suggests someone with a similar name was close to Vincenzo DiLeonardo.

- I suspect he represented the Philly Family at the 1932 meeting since the other PA Families were represented and it concerned Pittsburgh. However Newark isn't visibly represented either.

Trenton later had members from Philly, DeCavalcantes, and Gambinos but if there was a Newark Family presence in South Jersey (i.e. Abate) it opens up possibilities. Giallombardo's heritage and connections would probably make him Philly or Gambino in my opinion though.

EDIT: I see Bill Feather listed him as a Newark captain. No idea how he jumped to that.

He also mentions a Salvatore Troia, brother of Vincenzo, as a possible member -- that's the first I've seen any reference to Troia having a brother in the US and neither of his known mafioso brothers in Sicily were named Salvatore. While Bill's lists are imperfect he doesn't invent names outright, so wondering where he got that one.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 pm
Compaesano of fellow arrestee Joe Traina.

His brother Giuseppe Giallombardo was a big NYC counterfeiter with the early Gambino Family.

One record also suggests someone with a similar name was close to Vincenzo DiLeonardo.
Nice, I couldn’t find info on him. If his brother was a big man in the Gambinos and he was close to Traina + DiLeonardo, what ties him to Newark? Wouldn’t he likely be a Trenton Mangano member or a Philadelphia guy?
B. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 pm I suspect he represented the Philly Family at the 1932 meeting since the other PA Families were represented and it concerned Pittsburgh. However Newark isn't visibly represented either.
Not every family was represented though, it’s also possible that the authorities didn’t catch everyone if they came in twos:

Albert Anastasia- Mangano
Joseph Traina- Mangano

John Oddo- Profaci
Cassandro Bonasera- Profaci

Paul Palmieri- Buffalo
Salvatore DiCarlo- Buffalo

Santo Volpe- NE Pennsylvania
Angelo Polizzi- NE Pennsylvania

Ciro Gallo- Bonanno

Peter Giallombardo- Philadelphia/Mangano/Newark

Carl Spallino- Pittsburgh
Michael Buia- Pittsburgh
Michael Russo- Pittsburgh
Frank Adragna- Pittsburgh

Personally, I’d guess that he was either a Newark or Philly member.

———
B. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 pm He also mentions a Salvatore Troia, brother of Vincenzo, as a possible member -- that's the first I've seen any reference to Troia having a brother in the US and neither of his known mafioso brothers in Sicily were named Salvatore. While Bill's lists are imperfect he doesn't invent names outright, so wondering where he got that one.
Unlike the other people on that list, Salvatore Troia’s life dates nor which family he ended up with are listed. I wonder where he got this info.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, that was what I was getting at about Giallombardo -- I haven't seen anything that would indicate he was affiliated with Newark. Informed speculation would lead us to Philly or NYC. With John Cappello Sr. he was at least in North Jersey during the time Newark was an active Family so his affiliation before he moved to Philly could lend itself more to Newark. However he could just as well have been an NJ-based Gambino member under Giuseppe Traina given his hometown and involvement in Empire Yeast.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 pm He also mentions a Salvatore Troia, brother of Vincenzo, as a possible member -- that's the first I've seen any reference to Troia having a brother in the US and neither of his known mafioso brothers in Sicily were named Salvatore. While Bill's lists are imperfect he doesn't invent names outright, so wondering where he got that one.
Maybe unrelated, but given the funny stuff that Vincenzo Troia and Riela pulled with names, this caught my attention. In 1920 in Chicago, a guy who gave his name as Giorgio Gazzolino filed a petition for naturalization in Chicago. Per the document, he stated that he was born in Palermo in 1897, but had entered the US at NYC in 1910 under the name Salvatore Troia. Then, in 1929, he filed his declaration of naturalization, which again stated that he had used the name Salvatore Troia when entering the US, but now stated that he was living on Allen St in Manhattan. But by 1935, he was back living at his old address in Chicago and using the name “Sam Troy”. Gazzolino (or Guzzolino, which may be the original), to my knowledge isn’t really a Sicilian surname, though it is found on the Mainland a bit. For his WW1 draft card in Chicago, the guy gave his name as Sam Troia, and listed his nearest relative as a Nick Troia. In 1925, he married a Vincenza SanFilippo from Castronovo di Sicilia, who then went by Jenny Troy. Sam Troy died in 1990 in Chicago. I haven’t delved into him 100%, but I didn’t see a passenger record in 1910 for either a Salvatore Troia or a Giorgio Gazzolino that seemed to match this guy (there was a Salvatore Troia who came in 1910, but he was older and from Ragusa).

Just thought I’d throw it out there, as this looks like an odd case of a Salvatore Troia, connected to both Illinois and NYC, who seems to have used a fake name.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:56 pm Yeah, that was what I was getting at about Giallombardo -- I haven't seen anything that would indicate he was affiliated with Newark. Informed speculation would lead us to Philly or NYC. With John Cappello Sr. he was at least in North Jersey during the time Newark was an active Family so his affiliation before he moved to Philly could lend itself more to Newark. However he could just as well have been an NJ-based Gambino member under Giuseppe Traina given his hometown and involvement in Empire Yeast.
That’s true.

Hypothetically, if we didn’t know anything about Joseph Farinella and Nicholas Russo other than that they were Trenton guys and met with John Simone right before his death, we’d be speculating about them too.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 am he stated that he was born in Palermo in 1897, but had entered the US at NYC in 1910 under the name Salvatore Troia. Then, in 1929, he filed his declaration of naturalization, which again stated that he had used the name Salvatore Troia when entering the US, but now stated that he was living on Allen St in Manhattan. But by 1935, he was back living at his old address in Chicago and using the name “Sam Troy”. For his WW1 draft card in Chicago, the guy gave his name as Sam Troia, and listed his nearest relative as a Nick Troia. In 1925, he married a Vincenza SanFilippo from Castronovo di Sicilia, who then went by Jenny Troy. Sam Troy died in 1990 in Chicago.
That’s a great find! If he really was born in 1897, he be around 20 years younger than Vincenzo Troia. Not impossible, but more likely a nephew(or a son).

It would be interesting to know if he had any arrests. With all the fake names it’s going to be journey
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 am Maybe unrelated, but given the funny stuff that Vincenzo Troia and Riela pulled with names, this caught my attention. In 1920 in Chicago, a guy who gave his name as Giorgio Gazzolino filed a petition for naturalization in Chicago. Per the document, he stated that he was born in Palermo in 1897, but had entered the US at NYC in 1910 under the name Salvatore Troia. Then, in 1929, he filed his declaration of naturalization, which again stated that he had used the name Salvatore Troia when entering the US, but now stated that he was living on Allen St in Manhattan. But by 1935, he was back living at his old address in Chicago and using the name “Sam Troy”. Gazzolino (or Guzzolino, which may be the original), to my knowledge isn’t really a Sicilian surname, though it is found on the Mainland a bit. For his WW1 draft card in Chicago, the guy gave his name as Sam Troia, and listed his nearest relative as a Nick Troia. In 1925, he married a Vincenza SanFilippo from Castronovo di Sicilia, who then went by Jenny Troy. Sam Troy died in 1990 in Chicago. I haven’t delved into him 100%, but I didn’t see a passenger record in 1910 for either a Salvatore Troia or a Giorgio Gazzolino that seemed to match this guy (there was a Salvatore Troia who came in 1910, but he was older and from Ragusa).
I think I found him: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MV-6ZHR

- Born December 9th 1897 in Italy
- Parents are Nicholas Troia and Josephine Camisine
- Married to Jennie SanFilippo
- Died May 7th 1990 in Park Ridge, IL
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:22 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 am he stated that he was born in Palermo in 1897, but had entered the US at NYC in 1910 under the name Salvatore Troia. Then, in 1929, he filed his declaration of naturalization, which again stated that he had used the name Salvatore Troia when entering the US, but now stated that he was living on Allen St in Manhattan. But by 1935, he was back living at his old address in Chicago and using the name “Sam Troy”. For his WW1 draft card in Chicago, the guy gave his name as Sam Troia, and listed his nearest relative as a Nick Troia. In 1925, he married a Vincenza SanFilippo from Castronovo di Sicilia, who then went by Jenny Troy. Sam Troy died in 1990 in Chicago.
That’s a great find! If he really was born in 1897, he be around 20 years younger than Vincenzo Troia. Not impossible, but more likely a nephew(or a son).

It would be interesting to know if he had any arrests. With all the fake names it’s going to be journey
Vincenzo Troia was born October 27, 1887 to Benedetto Troia and Rosalia Costanza.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:57 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 am Maybe unrelated, but given the funny stuff that Vincenzo Troia and Riela pulled with names, this caught my attention. In 1920 in Chicago, a guy who gave his name as Giorgio Gazzolino filed a petition for naturalization in Chicago. Per the document, he stated that he was born in Palermo in 1897, but had entered the US at NYC in 1910 under the name Salvatore Troia. Then, in 1929, he filed his declaration of naturalization, which again stated that he had used the name Salvatore Troia when entering the US, but now stated that he was living on Allen St in Manhattan. But by 1935, he was back living at his old address in Chicago and using the name “Sam Troy”. Gazzolino (or Guzzolino, which may be the original), to my knowledge isn’t really a Sicilian surname, though it is found on the Mainland a bit. For his WW1 draft card in Chicago, the guy gave his name as Sam Troia, and listed his nearest relative as a Nick Troia. In 1925, he married a Vincenza SanFilippo from Castronovo di Sicilia, who then went by Jenny Troy. Sam Troy died in 1990 in Chicago. I haven’t delved into him 100%, but I didn’t see a passenger record in 1910 for either a Salvatore Troia or a Giorgio Gazzolino that seemed to match this guy (there was a Salvatore Troia who came in 1910, but he was older and from Ragusa).

Yeah, that’s him, but I believe that his mother was actually Giuseppina Gambino, which matches a 1910 passenger manifest that has a woman with that name married to a Nicola Troia (from Palermo) bound for Chicago (their names were struck from the list, however). “Sam Troy” lived on Kimball near Fullerton in Logan Square and owned a barbershop in that area. An ancestry family tree pointed to this guy as having a brother named Benedetto “Ben Troy” also, which I haven’t yet been able to substantiate. If so, that could further suggest that he may have had a familial link to Vincenzo Troia.

What’s funny is that there was also a Salvatore Gambino from Torretta in Chicago married to a Mary Troia (their kid was named Carl Gambino, lol). No idea if either connect to the above Troia/Gambinos, who so far as I can see just state “Palermo”.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I merged this topic with the Settimo Accardi topic.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:55 am

Yeah, that’s him, but I believe that his mother was actually Giuseppina Gambino, which matches a 1910 passenger manifest that has a woman with that name married to a Nicola Troia (from Palermo) bound for Chicago (their names were struck from the list, however). “Sam Troy” lived on Kimball near Fullerton in Logan Square and owned a barbershop in that area. An ancestry family tree pointed to this guy as having a brother named Benedetto “Ben Troy” also, which I haven’t yet been able to substantiate. If so, that could further suggest that he may have had a familial link to Vincenzo Troia.

What’s funny is that there was also a Salvatore Gambino from Torretta in Chicago married to a Mary Troia (their kid was named Carl Gambino, lol). No idea if either connect to the above Troia/Gambinos, who so far as I can see just state “Palermo”.
Did these Gambinos of Chicago have any connection to The Gambinos of New York?
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:05 pm I merged this topic with the Settimo Accardi topic.
Great Idea!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:51 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:55 am

Did these Gambinos of Chicago have any connection to The Gambinos of New York?
Unsure, but if they were from Torretta, it could be possible. I’m not aware that they had any local involvement with the mafia, however. There were Gambinos in Chicago who very much seemed to have been involved with the mafia, but they were from Trapani province (Mazara del Vallo).
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Does anyone know anything about Vincent DeLava?

He’s listed on Bill Feather’s Newark Family chart as a capo but there’s no other information. Also, it says “Genov. ?” So he could have landed up with them.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm - Bill Bonanno in his posthumous book "The Last Testament of Bill Bonanno" wrote some things on Newark that are confused, but there might be a few grains of truth in them. He wrote that it was formed later than other Families, which makes sense considering when Badami arrived. Of course we don't know if maybe D'Amico was an earlier boss who for unknown reasons stepped down, then retook the throne after Badami was killed. There are other cases where an earlier boss became boss again later, like Tony Accardo. He wrote that Newark later went to Elizabeth, which appears to be false. He wrote that Salvatore D'Aquila was the leader of the Newark group, then after he was killed it went under Al Mineo and then absorbed into the Masseria group. We know that D'Aquila was the head of what is now the Gambino Family, but it's possible that Newark was a puppet of his.
DiLeonardo said when Jerry D'Aquila was demoted and on the outs with the Gambino leadership he ended up getting really close to the DeCavalcantes and hanging around them a lot. Made me think of what Bill B said about D'Aquila / New Jersey. Maybe there were some older relationships there.