Visiting Kansas City

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting Kansas City

Post by Angelo Santino »

lennert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:47 am Joseph Salvatore Carrolla - Not sure why his mother’s name is listed as Maria… If I compare various obituaries, it suggests his mother was Rose… Also, the FBN has Charles Carrollo as a brother of Joseph Salvatore. Their father, Antonio, was from Santa Cristina Gela.
Good find!

Says Rose's father was Pietro Carollo and her mother was Marianna Gambino.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:53 am In 1953 De Luna owned a clothing shop, but it burned down later that year. After that he was just a gambler.
Awesome. Thank you.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:43 pm I need help-

Joseph Salvatore Carrolla
DOB: 12/11/1916
POB: Kansas City, MO
Address: 901 E 5th St, Kansas City, MO
Father: Anthony Carrolla
Mother: Maria
Wife: Mary Teresa Sebbeto
Occ: Operates Sebbeto Funeral Home
FBI # 3903899
Capo?

I can't find the family in the census to get an idea on his parents age and then go forward finding where they were from.
This is what I put on the list on page 4 of this thread:

Joseph Salvatore Carrolla (Dec 11, 1916, Kansas City-Jul 31, 1989, Kansas City), FBI 3903899, resides at 901 East 5th Street, Kansas City, MO (1967). Wife: Teresa. Operates Sebbeto Funeral Home. Parents: Antonino (“Tony”) Carrollo and Rose Carrollo, both probably from Palermo, Palermo, Sicily (uncomfirmed).

Salvatore Thomas (“Sam”) Carrollo (Aug 21, 1914, Kansas City-Sep 14, 1994, Kansas City), FBI 3018274, resides at 3930 St. John, Kansas City, MO. Owns Kleer Air Sales Company. Expert jewelry appraiser and a fence. Parents: Tony and Rose Carollo (uncomfirmed)
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Fontanello - He was from Ragusa. Parents are Francesco and Giorgia Battaglia. Appears his real name was Emanuele? Arrived with his mother and brother in 1915, going to Francesco in KC. Francesco had arrived two years earlier.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Anthony Gizzo died in Texas in 1953. The informant was Joseph Civello.
Gizzo, Anthony - Death Cert.jpg
Says he was born in New York on August 4, 1901, and his father was James. Mother unknown. Problems: World War I draft card says he was born in 1899 and the World War II draft card has 1903. There are two findagrave memorials for him. One says he was born in New York, the other in Calabria:

Name: Anthony Robert Gizzo
Birth Date: 4 Aug 1898
Birth Place: Castellabate, Provincia di Salerno, Campania, Italy
Death Date: 1 Apr 1953
Death Place: Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, United States of America
Cemetery: Calvary Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, United States of America
Has Bio?: Y
Mother:
Martha Madaio
Spouse:
Dorothy Gizzo
Children:
Marion Louise Gizzo
Robert James Gizzo

Birth Date: 4 Aug 1901
Birth Place: New York, New York County (Manhattan), New York, United States of America
Cemetery: Forest Hill Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, United States of America

His wife, per their marriage certificate, was Dorothy Barnard.

I found one Antonio/Anthony born on that date, but I don't think it's a match:

Name: Antonio Piero
Race: White
Birth Place: Manhattan, New York City, New York, New York, USA
Residence Address: Sullivan Street 143
Certificate Number: 30728
Father:
Joseph Piero
Mother:
Vincenza Piero
Mother Maiden Name: Ciadella

This one could be a match. Pizzo is one letter different from Gizzo:

Name: Antonio Pizzo
Birth Date: 10 Aug 1901
Residence Address: E 112 Street 329
Certificate Number: 31093
Father:
Vincezo Pizzo
Mother:
Fannie Pizzo
Mother Maiden Name: Gallo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:21 pm Anthony Gizzo died in Texas in 1953. The informant was Joseph Civello.
Gizzo, Anthony - Death Cert.jpg

Says he was born in New York on August 4, 1901, and his father was James. Mother unknown. Problems: World War I draft card says he was born in 1899 and the World War II draft card has 1903. There are two findagrave memorials for him. One says he was born in New York, the other in Calabria:

Birth Date: 4 Aug 1898
Birth Place: Castellabate, Provincia di Salerno, Campania, Italy
Cemetery: Calvary Cemetery
Has Bio?: Y
Mother:
Martha Madaio
Spouse:
Dorothy Gizzo
Children:
Marion Louise Gizzo
Robert James Gizzo

Birth Place: New York, New York County (Manhattan), New York, United States of America
Cemetery: Forest Hill Cemetery

His wife, per their marriage certificate, was Dorothy Barnard.

I found one Antonio/Anthony born on that date, but I don't think it's a match:

Name: Antonio Piero
Residence Address: Sullivan Street 143
Certificate Number: 30728
Father:
Joseph Piero
Mother:
Vincenza Piero
Mother Maiden Name: Ciadella

This one could be a match. Pizzo is one letter different from Gizzo:

Name: Antonio Pizzo
Birth Date: 10 Aug 1901
Residence Address: E 112 Street 329
Certificate Number: 31093
Father:
Vincezo Pizzo
Mother:
Fannie Pizzo
Mother Maiden Name: Gallo
Good find. Gizzo's obit says his mother was "Mrs. Joe Madaio" and his brother was Michael Madaio. I think the mother remarried after Gizzo's father and Michael is a half brother of Joe Madaio.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Gizzo was born August 5, 1900, in Perdifumo as Antonio Izzo. Father Gennaro, mother Martina Avella. She indeed later remarried.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Thanks.

Two guys left-
Joseph Frank Gurera
Joseph Olivo
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:38 pm Thanks.

Two guys left-
Joseph Frank Gurera
Joseph Olivo
This was what I was able to confirm for Gurera and Olivo:
PolackTony wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:04 pm Carl Gurera, Joe Gurera's father, was born in 1900 in KC to Giuseppe Gurera (given as Gurrera on his naturalization document) and Maria Cacioppo.

While some ancestry.com family trees state that the family was from Palermo, these have no documents to support that. There were many other Cacioppos in KC, however, and they were from Sambuca. I also suspect that "Gurera" is actually Guerrera, which is a surname documented in Sambuca (there were a bunch of "Gurreras" in Chicago from Sambuca also). So I think it's very likely that Carl's parents were actually from Sambuca.

In 1924, Carl married Elizabeth Mangiaracino. As CC has already stated, her parents were Calogero Mangiaracino and Filippa Accardo of Castelvetrano. After Carl was killed, apparently by the Mangiaracinos, Elizabeth remarried a Raymond Oliver born in CO, who could've been a relative of Joe Olivo. A lot of these people went by Americanized surnames: e.g., the Cammisanos as "Cummings", the Olivos as "Oliver", some of the Cacioppos as "Morgan", which further complicates the task of teasing out their genealogies.

Without going through the Castelvetrano records, I haven't been able to confirm Filippa Accardo's parents. The possibility that some major figures in the KC Outfit could've had a direct relation to Tony Accardo is obviously tantalizing.
PolackTony wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:43 pm Joseph Olivo was born in 1899 in Kansas City to Michele "Marco" Olivo and Luigia "Louise" DeMaio. His parents were both born in Italy and married in 1891 in Cape Girardeau County, MO. Unable to confirm their origins, but based on the surnames a very strong guess is that the father was either Calabrese or Messinese, and the mother Napolitan' or Calabrese.
Note that the reference to Cape Girardeau County is a mistake due to an error in the indexing of the source document on Ancestry. Documents for Jackson County, MO (KC) often seem to be erroneously indexed as the city of Jackson in Cape Girardeau County. Michele Olivo and Luigia DeMaio were married in KC.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

lennert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:29 pm Gizzo was born August 5, 1900, in Perdifumo as Antonio Izzo. Father Gennaro, mother Martina Avella. She indeed later remarried.
Thanks. Based on what you wrote I found his birth record. Looks like August 7, 1900.
Gizzo, Anthony (Antonio Izzo) - Perdifumo Birth Record 1900Aug7.jpg
Here's his mother's death certificate:
Madaio, Martha (ma of Anthony Gizzo - Death cert.jpg
His grandmother also lived and died in Kansas City:
Gizzo, Catarina (grandmother of Anthony) - Death cert.jpg
His parole application threw me off a bit. I think his mother's name being Artilla might be correct since it looks like what's on his birth record.
Gizzo, Anthony - Parole Application.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Giuseppe Gurrera, Carlo’s father, was indeed born in Sambuca di Sicila, on August 16, 1854, to Giorgio and Giovanna Licata.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Ok, looks like it's complete to the best that we can. If Tony can't find Olivo I don't think it's there to be found.

Credits-
Research-
CC
Rick
Tony
Lennert

Contributors-
Nash
Motorfab
Snakes

Stats-
Town, Province, Region.

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Did something happen in 1931 that led to DiGiovanni vacating the position or we just don't know?
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Don’t pin me down on this, but from what I can find it looks like Joe Olivo’s father came from Avellino.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

lennert wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:02 pm Don’t pin me down on this, but from what I can find it looks like Joe Olivo’s father came from Avellino.
If true, that would be interesting as the surname Olivo doesn’t really appear in Avellino province from what I’ve seen (unless it was originally something else, of course). Probabilistically, my guess was either Calabria or Messina province, given the distribution of the surname. It’s also present in the North. If you have anything documented supporting Avellino, let us know.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”