Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by PolackTony »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:41 pm When did Michael Genovese die? Thanks.

Pogo
I have him as dead in 1986.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

eboli wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:23 am
B. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:02 am Image

Source might be Valachi, says one of Vito Genovese's brothers was made in the early 1950s. We know Michael was a member but the handwriting appears to indicate this guy is deceased as of 1962 and the text refers to him in the past tense. Couldn't be Michael if that's the case.

Was Carmine Genovese deceased by 1962?

Interesting side note, but Carmine Genovese was living with a young Anna Petillo and her family during the 1910 Census. Anna would later marry Vito. Apparently they're cousins which is supported by Carmine living with them early on.

Also wondering if there's relation between Genovese member Dave Petillo and Anna Petillo.
Carmine died in 1964.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143 ... e-genovese

Federal informants described Michael as very intelligent. He wanted none of the street nonsense. By the time of Vito's death in 1969, Michael had already retired from the mob in his early 60s.
I have Carmine Genovese as dead in 1960. At the time of his death, he was living in Ozone Park, QU, near where the Genovese family was living in 1930.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, dead in 1960. So he's almost certainly the brother who was made in the early 1950s.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

This has probably been covered already on the forums here; apologies if so. But thought it was interesting that on his WW1 draft card, Vito Genovese stated that he was employed as a driver by Luigi Eboli and gave 178 W Houston as the business address. My assumption is that this was the Luigi Eboli who was Tommy and Patsy's father (and namesake of Louie Eboli). On his WW1 draft card, Luigi Eboli stated in turn that he was a driver employed by a "G. D'Augustine", with a business address of 158 W Houston. At this time, Vito stated that he was living with his parents in Woodhaven, QU (he gave the address as 22 Rockaway Rd. If this was Rockaway Blvd, unless the addresses have changed, it should have been something-dash-22). By the 1920s the Genoveses were living nearby on 102 Ave near Rockaway Blvd in Ozone Park. In 1930, they were living at 93-11 101 Ave. Luigi Eboli subsequently moved to that immediate area, and in 1942 stated that he was living at 86-11 101 Ave while owning a grocery store in Ozone Park at 132-07 82 St. I think that the addresses got swapped, as the former is a storefront on a major street while the latter is a residential block. Either way goes to show how long the Eboli and Genovese families were associated.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks Tony. 8-)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I believe Carmine Genovese was also a business partner of Tommy Eboli going back some years. Definitely closely intertwined.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:38 pm I believe Carmine Genovese was also a business partner of Tommy Eboli going back some years. Definitely closely intertwined.
Could be another angle to Genovese's connection to Chicago as the Ebolis were very closely intertwined there as well, and not just Tommy Ryan. Luigi Eboli's 2nd wife was also from Chicago. And it seems that the Ebolis lived in Chicago before coming to NYC, as in 1914 they had a daughter Rosina Eboli in Chicago, who died two days after birth. This was with Tommy and Patsy's mother Maddalena Maddalone. Interestingly, on her birth certificate, Luigi stated that he was from Acerra, though other documents state Scisciano. Plus, on one passenger manifest, Luigi stated that his brother-in-law was an Antonio Esposito. This raises the possibility that Luigi Eboli could have been connected to Diamond Joe.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:24 pm
eboli wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:23 am
B. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:02 am Image

Source might be Valachi, says one of Vito Genovese's brothers was made in the early 1950s. We know Michael was a member but the handwriting appears to indicate this guy is deceased as of 1962 and the text refers to him in the past tense. Couldn't be Michael if that's the case.

Was Carmine Genovese deceased by 1962?

Interesting side note, but Carmine Genovese was living with a young Anna Petillo and her family during the 1910 Census. Anna would later marry Vito. Apparently they're cousins which is supported by Carmine living with them early on.

Also wondering if there's relation between Genovese member Dave Petillo and Anna Petillo.
Carmine died in 1964.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143 ... e-genovese

Federal informants described Michael as very intelligent. He wanted none of the street nonsense. By the time of Vito's death in 1969, Michael had already retired from the mob in his early 60s.
I have Carmine Genovese as dead in 1960. At the time of his death, he was living in Ozone Park, QU, near where the Genovese family was living in 1930.
My mistake. I checked my files, and I have his obit.

8459.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:38 pm I believe Carmine Genovese was also a business partner of Tommy Eboli going back some years. Definitely closely intertwined.
They were partners in the Tyran Cigarette Service Inc. Tommy & Patsy Eboli, and Vito, Michael, and Carmine all had a stake in the company. If Carmine got made in the early 1950s, it matches his time with the company.

7384.jpg

2346326.jpg

Also, the likely reason for Carmine's untimely death:

652347.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Anyone have info on the Ralph Russo who was ID'd as a member in the 1960s? Can't be Tony and John Russo's brother Ralph as he was murdered many years earlier.

Also wondering about the member identified as "Pete Sicilian" LNU.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Raven wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:55 pm The Dolce's real surname was Dolcemascolo if that helps you any.

Are you sure Anello Ercole was a Genovese? Don't several books and some congressional hearings sight him as being with Albert Anastasia?
It does help! Thank you. Any of input would be greatly appreciated.

As for Ercole, no I'm not sure. I got these names from the FBI reports but they can be wrong, especially that early when they were first putting things together.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:59 am
Raven wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:55 pm The Dolce's real surname was Dolcemascolo if that helps you any.

Are you sure Anello Ercole was a Genovese? Don't several books and some congressional hearings sight him as being with Albert Anastasia?

As for Ercole, no I'm not sure. I got these names from the FBI reports but they can be wrong, especially that early when they were first putting things together.
This doc says Aniello Ercole was a lieutenant of Albert Anastasia who died of cancer in 1959. He operated in Red Hook.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... rch=ercole
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 pm

This doc says Aniello Ercole was a lieutenant of Albert Anastasia who died of cancer in 1959. He operated in Red Hook.
I doubt he's the only guy on this list that was confused as a Genovese. I suspect Alfonso Allardi is the Gambino Alfronso Attardi. Probably more.

Also, looked up Dentico and he is listed as being in Eboli's crew. Could be a mistake.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:03 am
Antiliar wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 pm

I doubt he's the only guy on this list that was confused as a Genovese. I suspect Alfonso Allardi is the Gambino Alfronso Attardi. Probably more.

Also, looked up Dentico and he is listed as being in Eboli's crew. Could be a mistake.
Created a new excel and merged the Gen and Gam names together with the Gams in red and Gens in purple to see if there's names on there twice.

Things I noticed-
1 Carmine Bove is listed as a Genovese. Haven't looked him up.
Michael Angelo Bove as a Gambino. Bove was Salernitan from East Harlem.
Be interesting to find out if there was a relationship and or perhaps this guy might have been Genovese? Just throwing that out there I dont know either way.

2 Edward Consalvo is listed as a Genovese soldier
Edward Rocco Consalvo Eddie Ottawa as a Gambino. He's interesting because his father Antonio was born in Constantinople, Turkey and married Romilda Fellechia who was from Naples. Turkey likely had had its own Italian colony.
There could be two Edward Consalvos or it might be the same guy and he's in either one or the other.

3 Gaetano Martino Mimi as a Genovese soldier in the Alo crew. Additional Gens are
Anthony Martino Tony Mimi
Vincent Martino Gene Harlow

Gaetano MARTINO "Tom Long" as a Gambino. Both Gaetano Martinos share the same bg- 9/28/1900 Palermo 298 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231 Carroll Gardens Brooklyn

So this guy was listed as both Gen and Gam.

These are the only discrepancies.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Interesting finds