General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pete
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Pete »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:04 pm
B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:00 pm Frank Calabrese told his son on the prison tapes how the Family had "sleepers" who weren't on the FBI's radar. I didn't mean they were under Calabrese, only that he referred to them.

Whether or not the people he was thinking of were truly off the radar is anyone's guess, but that was his impression at the time.
Oh got you yes entirely correct on this. Some of those sleepers have been outed in recent years but the outfit was known for having sleepers and they didn’t have crews know each other for the most part further insulating things
One thing I’ll add to the sleeper conversation. So I’ve been on this forums now for I don’t know maybe 17 years talking to most the same guys. Won’t mention who but I was ridiculed for suggesting the outfit had sleepers that the general public didn’t know about since they had no researchable history and when a case was made against one of those sleepers the same person who ridiculed me pretended like they knew about him the whole time 😂 that’s funny stuff
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:15 pm We're finding out politicians like D'Arco and I believe Marzullo were made, so there are a lot of blindspots when it comes to their recruitment practices. Like Pete said, too, there was a lot of secrecy about members even among inducted members and between different crews.

It's not that there were hordes of sleepers running around behind the scenes, but when we start splitting hairs about ~30 members vs. ~40, every unknown name makes a big difference.
Very interesting for instance look at the spilotro hit. There were I think 7 guys in the basement. Nick calabrese, Louis mArino, Louis eboli, John fecarotta, and 3 guys to this day Nick has no idea who they were. On top of that the burial crew was never there when the hit team was. These guys were not dummies even though you had the whole admin present for the spilotro hit lol.
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:18 pm
B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:15 pm We're finding out politicians like D'Arco and I believe Marzullo were made, so there are a lot of blindspots when it comes to their recruitment practices. Like Pete said, too, there was a lot of secrecy about members even among inducted members and between different crews.

It's not that there were hordes of sleepers running around behind the scenes, but when we start splitting hairs about ~30 members vs. ~40, every unknown name makes a big difference.
Very interesting for instance look at the spilotro hit. There were I think 7 guys in the basement. Nick calabrese, Louis mArino, Louis eboli, John fecarotta, and 3 guys to this day Nick has no idea who they were. On top of that the burial crew was never there when the hit team was. These guys were not dummies even though you had the whole admin present for the spilotro hit lol.
Clearly there is guys no one has heard about as the most recent Genovese bust shows that modern day
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:20 pm

Clearly there is guys no one has heard about as the most recent Genovese bust shows that modern day
I think there is the disconnect. Are there people we don’t know about? 100 percent it’s a secret society. On the other hand is it a huge number especially in the case of a family like Chicago? No probably not. A family that’s not that big to begin with doesn’t have 25 made guys we never heard of. But are there some yeah of course. Fbi didn’t even think Nick calabrese was made
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:23 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:20 pm

I think there is the disconnect. Are there people we don’t know about? 100 percent it’s a secret society. On the other hand is it a huge number especially in the case of a family like Chicago? No probably not. A family that’s not that big to begin with doesn’t have 25 made guys we never heard of. But are there some yeah of course. Fbi didn’t even think Nick calabrese was made
Agreed
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The thing about Solly D is finding out how deep his history in the org goes back. His relatives were close underworld peers of some of the biggest names and he himself can be directly linked to them from the time he was born.

I have no opinion on whether he's boss but his identity and background can't be separated from this stuff. Money is important to these guys but to some of them there is still an element of obligation and tradition, even just locally far away from the Sicilian lineage shit. Chicago also has a history of reluctant bosses and senior figures quietly directing things.

Not to invoke Buffalo, but Todaro is a good example. The narrative is "Why does Wing Don need the aggravation? He's already rich and seemed like a chill old dude on Barstool." Well, the guy is a third generation boss and regardless of who or what he is boss of, the org might still mean something to him.

I think we've gotten the idea that Chicago doesn't care about tradition and all of the living members would be happy to let it go after Family Secrets. No ceremony, no Family, no big deal. But Nick's testimony and Frank's tapes say the opposite, that this was a very serious mafia organization up to that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if DiFronzo pulled in the reins. Does that mean everyone agreed, though? Does it mean DiFronzo issued a permanent decree and the remaining members are still upholding it now? If DiFronzo did decide to stop inductions, was that just a temporary measure (like other Families closing books for decades) or did he truly intend for Chicago to wither away and disband? As Rick and Tony pointed out their recruitment pool isn't quite that dry.

As always more questions than answers with Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

IIRC, Nick wasn’t even sure whether Eboli was a captain or not at that time. Not like the family was passing out memos to update the membership on promotions. I suspect this sort of thing was on a need to know basis and given that I don’t see that Nick was really ever working with guys from the Grand Ave crew, this wasn’t info that he was privy too. A family with just a handful of crews and a comparatively small number of made members, but the organizational security and internal insulation that you’ve mentioned is all the more remarkable given the modest scale of the formal mafia structure. As B. has stated, we have all the reason to believe that Chicago took these things very seriously and was severe and strict when it came to the formal mafia organization.

On the subject of Nicky C being completely off the FBI radar, not only was he an inducted member but he was also a prolific killer. Even with, apparently, 2 high-level CIs at the time, the FBI was unaware of him. I also suspect that the Feds were devoting a lot more manpower and other resources to investigating the Outfit during this time than they are today (others who have more detailed info on LE attention to LCN today may be able to more precisely discuss that angle. My impression is that it might be an understatement). So yeah, Chicago doesn’t have some army of clandestine members, but it’s reasonable to believe that there may be a couple of sleepers around. As well as active guys who LE may be aware of, but may have no info as to whether these guys are made or not. Assuming that they don’t have a made member giving them quality intel for recent years, how would they know if there have been ceremonies and who has actually been inducted. And even if they’ve had member CIs, these individuals are not testifying under oath and thus wouldn’t be beholden to tell them everything that they may know.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

PolackTony wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:27 pm

IIRC, Nick wasn’t even sure whether Eboli was a captain or not at that time. Not like the family was passing out memos to update the membership on promotions. I suspect this sort of thing was on a need to know basis and given that I don’t see that Nick was really ever working with guys from the Grand Ave crew, this wasn’t info that he was privy too. A family with just a handful of crews and a comparatively small number of made members, but the organizational security and internal insulation that you’ve mentioned is all the more remarkable given the modest scale of the formal mafia structure. As B. has stated, we have all the reason to believe that Chicago took these things very seriously and was severe and strict when it came to the formal mafia organization.

On the subject of Nicky C being completely off the FBI radar, not only was he an inducted member but he was also a prolific killer. Even with, apparently, 2 high-level CIs at the time, the FBI was unaware of him. I also suspect that the Feds were devoting a lot more manpower and other resources to investigating the Outfit during this time than they are today (others who have more detailed info on LE attention to LCN today may be able to more precisely discuss that angle. My impression is that it might be an understatement). So yeah, Chicago doesn’t have some army of clandestine members, but it’s reasonable to believe that there may be a couple of sleepers around. As well as active guys who LE may be aware of, but may have no info as to whether these guys are made or not. Assuming that they don’t have a made member giving them quality intel for recent years, how would they know if there have been ceremonies and who has actually been inducted. And even if they’ve had member CIs, these individuals are not testifying under oath and thus wouldn’t be beholden to tell them everything that they may know.
Well there was I think two ci that identified sarno as the boss that’s when most of us found that out. So it’s perfectly reasonable that the same ci would have told the feds about making ceremonies if they knew http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2011/03/ ... t.html?m=1
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:42 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:27 pm

Well there was I think two ci that identified sarno as the boss that’s when most of us found that out. So it’s perfectly reasonable that the same ci would have told the feds about making ceremonies if they knew http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2011/03/ ... t.html?m=1
Sure, the info here cites three CIs. Unless we can cross-check this with other mentions of CIs, hard to say just based on this whether all of these informants were actually members, which makes a difference. I believe that one was specified as a member source. And I’m not making any claim that any CI, hypothetical or factual, specifically would or wouldn’t tell the Feds specific details about making ceremonies. Just pointing out that as CIs, they’re not under oath, are not beholden to provide answers to specific questions. and may be giving intel selectively or even giving false intel. So even with member CIs, the accounts that they give the FBI may be partial or fragmentary, as they are likely only giving the intel that they feel serves their interests to share.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:42 pm
Yes, we discussed this article before, maybe in this thread. We speculated who the CI's could have been. The one who felt abandoned by the Outfit made me wonder about Mike Mags, but he's not going to tell me if it's him. I could see John DiFronzo and John Matassa also being CI's providing information. Anyways, I agree that the FBI may have info on more recent ceremonies, but for their own reasons are keeping it in their pocket. I don't see any reason for the feds to make this info public (assuming they have it) unless it's relevant to an upcoming racketeering case or if it leaks out - which I doubt will ever happen.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Late 1993, a few months after DiFronzo was imprisoned. Sure sounds like Andriacchi to me. Nothing earth-shattering, just adds weight to what we have already assumed:

Physical description is also an exact match.

Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:39 pm I believe it was magnafichi who said difronzo stopped making guys and deactivated the elm wood park crew in mid 90’s. If an actual member is not a good source for the reason for the outfits decline I don’t know what else to say.
I'm always cautious about the info that both Magnafichi and Fosco provided about Difronzo and EP crew back in the old ANP days. It was a great site for historical info, and a lot of our insight into the EP crew stems from those ANP message boards, but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's fairly accepted that Difronzo had either directly or indirectly shelved Mike Mags at the time, something which would cause bitterness. Fosco had an odd obsession with Difronzo in that he felt violated when Difronzo did not step in to help him when some members of the EP crew extorted Fosco for his dad's money. He had some epic rants about it on the site.

Experienced outfit researchers on here will filter this info as they always should, as I'm just another guy claiming to know someone adjacent to the EP crew. But my info was that Difronzo simply stopped making members into his personal crew and had them pull back from street rackets. Meaning his top lieutenants like D'Amico, Andriacchi, Peter D., Abbinatte, and a few others. He was not letting anyone else into that inner circle, both because they were all rich but also because no one wanted an indictment. This does not preclude him from still being in an overall leadership role in the outfit as a whole, just that he was not bringing any new younger blood into his immediate group (the same group that Magnafichi came up in) , ...hence the "he stopped making guys" angle.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Coloboy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:11 am
Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:39 pm I believe it was magnafichi who said difronzo stopped making guys and deactivated the elm wood park crew in mid 90’s. If an actual member is not a good source for the reason for the outfits decline I don’t know what else to say.
I'm always cautious about the info that both Magnafichi and Fosco provided about Difronzo and EP crew back in the old ANP days. It was a great site for historical info, and a lot of our insight into the EP crew stems from those ANP message boards, but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's fairly accepted that Difronzo had either directly or indirectly shelved Mike Mags at the time, something which would cause bitterness. Fosco had an odd obsession with Difronzo in that he felt violated when Difronzo did not step in to help him when some members of the EP crew extorted Fosco for his dad's money. He had some epic rants about it on the site.

Experienced outfit researchers on here will filter this info as they always should, as I'm just another guy claiming to know someone adjacent to the EP crew. But my info was that Difronzo simply stopped making members into his personal crew and had them pull back from street rackets. Meaning his top lieutenants like D'Amico, Andriacchi, Peter D., Abbinatte, and a few others. He was not letting anyone else into that inner circle, both because they were all rich but also because no one wanted an indictment. This does not preclude him from still being in an overall leadership role in the outfit as a whole, just that he was not bringing any new younger blood into his immediate group (the same group that Magnafichi came up in) , ...hence the "he stopped making guys" angle.
Agreed. I also think we need to be careful with what we take as fact from Mags, he still grew up with a lot of those EP guys and I think he has a very obvious motive to spread disinformation. Not saying as fact, just my two cents.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:38 pm Most people agree the mafia has declined, but one of the issues is there isn't really concensus over how sharply it's declined. Available evidence has made me very consvervative about the size and scope of the mafia at its peak, so even though I see an obvious decline I don't always agree with the steepness.

- For example, Ray DeCarlo was recorded saying the Chicago Family had around 50 members in the 1960s and were highly exclusive about who they brought in. Some sources have speculated the Family had 150+ members and I don't know what's true, but I'm more likely to lean toward a smaller size based on common trends in Families outside of the East Coast and particularly in the Midwest.

- When talking about the famed 28 confirmed members in the 2000s, I agree the Family's size was likely diminished (even if we include Frank Calabrese's alleged "sleepers" who weren't on LE lists) but a 50 member org that became a 30 member org is going to be a different conversation than a 150 member org that declined to 30 members.

If we're going to pretend this is a scientific process where we can actually measure the decline of a Cosa Nostra organization, we have to have some level of concensus as to what the organization consisted of at its peak. We've learned a lot about that time period, but as CC's chart projects show, we're still missing many important details and our view isn't comprehensive, nor is LE's (even when an admin member cooperates we're still missing details). We can all agree there's been a decline, but it's intellectually dishonest to pretend the decline can be accurately measured/quantified or that the patterns are identical in every organization.

It's also made more difficult by the fact that FBI data has never been comprehensive and they have always relied on member sources and wiretaps to accurately assess a given organization. Some people take the approach that from the 1980s onward the FBI has not only had a comprehensive view into each of these organizations but that this information has all been made publicly available -- from this POV, we know everthing there is to know and all that's left to do is count off the confirmed members who have died off until we can label an org "defunct" or "nonviable". Any alternative to this POV is framed as cheerleading, wishful thinking, or fantasy.

I've got no issue with someone pointing out the decline. I agree with it and general evidence supports it. Where things get mixed up is when people try to measure the decline or use this downward trend to gatekeep and repress any discussion that strays from that narrative.
Consensus among who? If you mean people on this forum, apparently not. As far as law enforcement is concerned, that's another matter. We can see that in statements people like Jeffrey Sallet have made when he said the Outfit is "running on fumes" and the LCN outside of New York "isn't a priority for law enforcement" anymore. We can see that in the relatively minimal manpower they devote to investigating the Outfit. We see that in the last really significant cases being the Family Secrets case in 2007 and the Sarno case in 2009. I'm not sure we'll ever see one like those again. We also see it in the breakdown of the hierarchical structure. Going from 7 crews down to 4 at the time of Family Secrets, and probably even less than that now.

Another part of this breakdown is lack of clarity about who is running things, and I'm not talking in the good sense of the Genovese family circa 1970s. If I remember correctly, when DeLaurentis' and Vena's names were thrown out by "mob watchers" in that Goudie piece, it seemed it was a simply a best guess or who they thought was most likely the top guys. Apparently, according to one informant, Sarno was kicking up to DiFronzo. But in many ways the Outfit seems to have basically been the Cicero/Melrose Park show for years now. Most things seem to revolving around that one crew. You don't see much activity from Grand Avenue or 26th Street, let alone Elwood Park. Once you stop seeing the feds putting out a real flow chart of administration, crew bosses, and soldiers, that tells you something. And even if they did, you'd have a few small crews of mostly retired guys.

As far as membership, I'm not sure how helpful it is to go back to the 1960s for a comment from a guy from another family about their size. If there's a lack of consensus, it's probably about the peak membership of the Outfit, as well as when that even was. As with other families, the 1980s is when we start seeing more consistent figures from the FBI for the Outfit. Yes, they were still intel gathering at that point but it wasn't like the 1960s. Over a 15 year period, from 1984 to 1999, 8 figures from the FBI ranged from 41 to 51 members, the last one being 47 members. Fast forward to 28 members in 2007 and that's about a 40% decline. Several more have died since then. These are facts anyone can look at. Beyond that we get into speculation.

Even if we assume they had more ceremonies after the 1990s, or there are some "sleepers," does anyone think it's going to be in numbers sufficient to make that big of difference to that list I posted earlier in this thread? I don't think a scientific process is necessarily needed to observe the decline. It's not rocket science. And what's intellectually dishonest is giving the gaps intelligence equal weight to what we do know, or as a basis for endless speculation. The blind spots with the Outfit have probably been more abused than any other family. While it may be theoretically possible for the Outfit to currently be at something like 20-25 members (if we assume some things), left unchecked we've seen how that speculation can quickly grow the figures into ridiculous numbers. Nobody has said the FBI knows every last thing about the Outfit, but they do have a good handle on things, and anyone claiming there is a significant amount of guys flying under the radar in 2022 is the one trying to push a narrative.
All roads lead to New York.