Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

Completed the Catena crew with the exception of Anthony Nino who I'm having a hard time identifying.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:23 am
B. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:10 am https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/04/ge ... -1957.html

According to JD's latest post Genovese members Frank Cacciatore, Pietro Dolce, and Ralph Dolce had heritage from Luciano's hometown Lercara Friddi.

Captain Jimmy Altomari was from Mangone, Cosenza.
I think it's noteworthy that Lucky had paesani within the family.

To CC's earlier point that we don't really see a pattern to the Mainlander ancestries. JD has Pepi Santaniello's dad from Quindice, Avellino. Looks like Bracigliano/Quindice/Lauro was a definite cluster, one that I think could be important for the criminal background of members with ancestry from these comuni (Del Ducas, the Springfield crew). I strongly suspect that Pacella's father was from the area around Balvano/Muro Lucano, Potenza, which borders the Ricigliano area that Genovese and the Catenas went back to. So that may be another one of note.
I meant I have not seen one yet. But there's only 62 out of 266 identified names completed. I think there may turn out to be area clusters rather than a single commune cluster like in Tampa or Detroit. It's interesting, didn't expect to find as many Sicilians as we did.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:54 am
PolackTony wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:23 am
B. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:10 am https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/04/ge ... -1957.html

According to JD's latest post Genovese members Frank Cacciatore, Pietro Dolce, and Ralph Dolce had heritage from Luciano's hometown Lercara Friddi.

Captain Jimmy Altomari was from Mangone, Cosenza.
I think it's noteworthy that Lucky had paesani within the family.

To CC's earlier point that we don't really see a pattern to the Mainlander ancestries. JD has Pepi Santaniello's dad from Quindice, Avellino. Looks like Bracigliano/Quindice/Lauro was a definite cluster, one that I think could be important for the criminal background of members with ancestry from these comuni (Del Ducas, the Springfield crew). I strongly suspect that Pacella's father was from the area around Balvano/Muro Lucano, Potenza, which borders the Ricigliano area that Genovese and the Catenas went back to. So that may be another one of note.
I meant I have not seen one yet. But there's only 62 out of 266 identified names completed. I think there may turn out to be area clusters rather than a single commune cluster like in Tampa or Detroit. It's interesting, didn't expect to find as many Sicilians as we did.
Of course, what we have thus far are preliminary results. Seems like we can already identify at least Bracigliano/Quindice/Lauro as a definite cluster though. I agree that what we’ve already seen with the Sicilians is a bit surprising. I had also assumed that the majority of Sicilians might have been Easterners, but we see an interesting mix there.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Ok this is interesting, Ferdinand Salerno's mother Rosina Cammarota is from Monte di Procida and her mother's name is Maria Christina Scotti Belli. The family of Anthony Scotto (Gambino) came from Procida and Forio D'Ischia so there may be a distant relation.

Anyways, I think I untangled this web of Salernos.

Angelo Charles Salerno Charley Four Cents
11/11/1902
NYC
1420 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY
F Ferdinando Salerno Sarno, Salerno, Campania
M Othelia (Autilia Tillie Eutilia) Orzo (Urso) Sarno, Salerno, Campania
W Rosina Cammarota

Thomas Salerno Bobby Lyons
8/1/1904 New York City, NY
East 165th Street, New York City, New York
Ferdinando Salerno Sarno, Salerno, Campania
Othelia (Autilia Tillie Eutilia) Orzo (Urso) Sarno, Salerno, Campania
Assunta Franco

Anthony Salerno Blackie
3/26/1906 NYC
344 E 116th St, New York City, NY
F Ferdinando Salerno Sarno, Salerno, Campania
M Othelia (Autilia Tillie Eutilia) Orzo (Urso) Sarno, Salerno, Campania

Son of Angelo Charles-

Ferdinand Salerno Fat Freddie
5/2/1924 New York City, NY
1420 Grand Concourse, Bronx, New York
F Angelo C. (Charlie 4 Cents) (Bobby Lyons) Salerno Sarno, Salerno, Campania
Rosina (Rose) Cammarota Monte di Procida, Napoli, Campania Rosaria Sclafani

No relation

Anthony Salerno Fat Tony
8/5/1911 NYC
115 E 116th St, New York City, NY
F Alfio Salerno San Fratello, Messina, Sicilia
M Maria Carroccio San Fratello, Messina, Sicilia
W Bronislawa Karwowski

If I'm off, let me know.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Probably already known, but since the FBI Dead List came up should always be skeptical of what they say on there. The Dead List is sometimes vague about membership vs. association and occasionally misidentifies members' ranks or affiliation.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:02 pm Probably already known, but since the FBI Dead List came up should always be skeptical of what they say on there. The Dead List is sometimes vague about membership vs. association and occasionally misidentifies members' ranks or affiliation.
I noticed. Same with the FBN files. Everything needs to be scrutinized. Which is why any of my Genovese findings seem off, call it to question. In the end, the truth is what we're after.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

When I looked into Vinnie Mauro a couple years back it looked like his family was from Baucina and his father was Salvatore, but not the NYC mafia leader Salvatore Mauro from Baucina.

Mauro also gets referred to as a Sicilian on wiretaps. What's weird is he was with the heavily non-Sicilian Strollo crew and sponsored by Valachi. Wonder if his family was connected further back.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

eboli wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:27 am
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:21 am Should Joseph LaPadura be on here? It identified Angelo his father as a member but not the son from what I see so far.
The feds IDd him as a member.

534772.jpg
Regarding Lapadura, his name pops up in quite a few federal documents as a Genovese member.

73838.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Taglialatela seemed to think there was an earlier split involving Mike Miranda's crew where Toddo Del Duca and Pete Dolce got some of the members:

- More likely that Taglialatela was inducted in 1957 and Miranda's promotion should have also been 1957.

- JD has Pietro Dolce as a captain still circa 1960.

- If this is true, Miranda's decina was distributed among as many as 7 captains.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Is there any further information on Gen members Frank Russo and Louis Russo aka Russolo? Pretty common names.

I believe listed Anthony Ruggiano was a Gambino.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Willie Moretti was born in Bari, Apuglia. He wasn't Calabrese and if he's Costello's cousin I'd be very surprised.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:45 am Willie Moretti was born in Bari, Apuglia. He wasn't Calabrese and if he's Costello's cousin I'd be very surprised.
Didn't he say in the Kefauver hearing that his father was born in the same place as the Milanos?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

His draft says born in NYC and has a different birth date then the second document which claims Bari and has the accurate dod. It needs further looking into.

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

There's a birth record for Guarino Moretti in NYC, born 04 Jun 1894. Parents were Gennaro Moretti and Maria Toscano. In 1900, they were living at 339 E 109 (btwn 1st and 2nd Ave) in East Harlem. Parents stated that they arrived in NYC ~1893. They later moved to the Bronx. Seems like the only Guarino Moretti (not a super common name, obviously) around, so I'm reasonably certain that it's him. In a later document, son Guarino appears as "Willie".

So far I haven't been able to find his parents' arrival records or any other records specifying origins more granular than Italy. FWIW, both Moretti and Toscano are common surnames in Bari and the Moretti surname is far more common in Puglia, specifically Bari, than in Calabria. So I think his parents are absolutely consistent with Bares' ancestry, though we still need proof.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:31 am There's a birth record for Guarino Moretti in NYC, born 04 Jun 1894. Parents were Gennaro Moretti and Maria Toscano. In 1900, they were living at 339 E 109 (btwn 1st and 2nd Ave) in East Harlem. Parents stated that they arrived in NYC ~1893. They later moved to the Bronx. Seems like the only Guarino Moretti (not a super common name, obviously) around, so I'm reasonably certain that it's him. In a later document, son Guarino appears as "Willie".

So far I haven't been able to find his parents' arrival records or any other records specifying origins more granular than Italy. FWIW, both Moretti and Toscano are common surnames in Bari and the Moretti surname is far more common in Puglia, specifically Bari, than in Calabria. So I think his parents are absolutely consistent with Bares' ancestry, though we still need proof.
64373.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.