Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

eboli
Full Patched

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm Awesome -- thanks for sharing.

Despite their notoriety there is a lot of mystery to the Campisis.
They were a bigger deal than suspected.
Here's a chart of their organization (and family) from the early 1970s.

4537.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

eboli wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:18 am Pietro Campisi (the grandad) was made in Sicily. He relocated to the Vailsburg section of Newark in the 30s and made his bones in America, too. He was a suspected Genovese member.

Pietro died in 1972, while his wife died a few years earlier. By the time Pietro's grandson Peter got proposed for membership in the 1970s, he would've been the fourth Campisi initiated in Cosa Nostra -- after his granddad, two uncles, and father.
How sure are you that this Pietro Campisi died in 1972? There was a Pietro Campisi who died in 1971. That guy was born around 1894. There was another Pietro Campisi, who was born in 1876 in Camporeale (confirmed by Camporeale birth record, parents Gaspare and Natale) and who died in Maplewood, NJ in 1940 (death record states parents Gaspare and Natale). In the 1920 census, Pietro Campisi, father of Thomas (born 1911) and Anthony (born 1920) was stated to have been born in the 1870s. 1910 census shows the same Pietro Campisi, born in the 1870s, in Newark. His wife was Fortunata "Fannie" Longo. He arrived in the US around 1901-1902. These Campisis lived first in the 6th then the 14th Wards of Newark.

The Pietro Campisi who died in 1971 (I don't see a record for a Pietro Campisi who died in 1972, maybe I'm wrong) was born in 1894 and seems to have lived in NYC and Bayonne. When he died, he was living in Brentwood, LI. The year prior, his wife Anna Terrusa died in Bayside, QU. I believe that this Campisi was from Trapani.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Bill Feather has Pietro Campisi from Giuliana in Palermo -- I haven't been able to find anything confirming. He also has Pietro dying in 1967.

The article I saw didn't reference a specific year, just stated Thomas died in 1970 a year before his father.

Trapani would fit with the Newark Family.
Felix Rando
Prospect

Post by Felix Rando »

eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:21 am
Chris Christie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:30 am
eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:18 am Yeah, the FBN got Lombardo's parents wrong. His parents were Natale Lombardo and Maria Licari, originally from Trapani. The father was born in 1869. Interestingly enough, Lombardo's family might have been Protestants.
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:32 am Tony Bender doesn't appear to have been acting boss from 1959-1961-
Tony Bender was never the acting boss. He was acting underboss between May 1957 and Late 1961. Vito Genovese demoted him to soldier, and Tommy Eboli became the acting underboss and captain. Patsy Eboli got bumped to acting capo in early 1962.

DiQuarto was Bender's acting capo before Bender's demotion and continued for a short while until Eboli got promoted. DiQuarto replaced Vincent Mauro as Bender's top soldier in the crew circa 1960.
Thanks for the response. Who identified Strollo as the acting under? I wonder if he had an AC while he was acting. Mauro, then DeQuarto were acting for him in the late 1950s.

I do have some questions that relate to the lists Pogo made, and Pogo I'd like your comments as well.

1 The Moretti Crew went to Catena, the theory is that Boiardo and DeCarlo were allowed to have their own decine at some point before 1963. I believe Pogo listed Boiardo as being promoted in 1957. DeCarlo is listed as starting in the 60's. How sure are we it was that late? DeCarlo referred to the thirteen Gen crews (another report said 33 from Kipson-something) which sounded like they had been established for some time.

2 The Miranda Crew, what's the source for "-In 1958 this Crew was split between Frank Celano, Frank “Funzie” Tieri, Antonio “Tony” Carillo, Generoso "Taddo DeMarco/Del" Del Duca, Peter “Pete Desi” DeFeo and Salvatore “Little Sal” Celembrino." I ask because the FBI reports label DeFeo as Miranda's Acting Capo in the 60's.

3 IF the number of crews totaled 13, we have 11 confirmed, two others- Carmine Battaglia and Tony Pro are suspected. There is also Springfield which had a decina there so Battaglia or Pro may not be correct, if there were 13 decina in 1963.

You guys have looked extensively into this family, and any pointers would have helpful.
The FBI ID'd Strollo as acting underboss but only after his death. Between May 1957 and 1959, he was acting as an underboss in an unofficial capacity, meaning he was just a capo who handled a lot of work for Genovese and Catena and bossed around other capos on Catena and Genovese's orders. Strollo was a personal underboss for Genovese, but he also did stuff for Catena in NJ. Eugene Catena had a similar role in the early to mid-1960s.

After Genovese's sentencing in 1959, Catena became the acting boss, and Strollo 'officially' became the acting underboss until a few months before his death when he fell out of favor.

In my Catena and Strollo writeups I went into more details, but here are excerpts regarding the Moretti and Miranda crews:

1. On the Moretti/Boiardo/Catena crew split:
Interestingly enough, Tony Strollo's demotions and subsequent disappearance coincided with a substantial shake-up of the New Jersey Faction of the Genovese crime family. In late 1961 or early 1962, Jerry Catena broke up the old Willie Moretti crew, headed by Richie Boiardo since 1957. Catena's reasoning for the crew's dismantlement remains unknown, but it was likely to give his brother Eugene more muscle and authority. The split went three ways between Richie Boiardo, Angelo DeCarlo, and Eugene Catena.

Richie Boiardo remained a caporegime. He retained control over his Newark territories and whatever he got after the destruction of Zwillman's criminal empire. Since he was getting up there in age, he placed his son as the crew's acting captain. Tony Boy was familiar with the role ever since his induction in the Genovese crime family in the late 1950s. After Catena's shake-up, Tony Boy became his father's expected criminal successor in their new, smaller regime.

As a caporegime, Eugene Catena inherited Moretti's criminal network centered around Patterson in Passaic County. He also operated in Newark and throughout Northern New Jersey, looking after his and Jerry's interests. It's worth of note that based on information provided by contemporary federal informants, Eugene Catena's promotion took place before that of Gyp DeCarlo. There might have been a relatively short period of a few months during which DeCarlo was a soldier under Eugene Catena. There's not enough information to create a complete timeframe, but sometime before October 1962, DeCarlo became a captain. He oversaw rackets in Hudson, Essex, and Bergen counties.
2. On Mike Miranda crew split:
Vito Genovese's first action as the new boss was to put Frank Costello on the shelf. He warned all members of the Genovese crime family not to contact him under the penalty of death. Vito also appointed a new administration panel to assist him in running the borgata. Michele 'Mike' Miranda became the consigliere. He was a respected old-timer and a crucial figure in the new regime. After his promotion, Miranda's former crew suffered a five-way split between Frank 'Funzi' Tieri, Salvatore 'Little Sally' Celambrino, Antonio 'Tony the Sheikh' Carillo, Francesco 'Frank' Cerano, and Peter 'Philie Aquilino' DeFeo. Miranda likely agreed to the split to secure the number three spot in the crime family.
3. On Carmine Battaglia's status in 1963:
On November 8, 1962, a meeting between the Genovese and Philadelphia crime families took place. Carmine Battaglia was representing Caponigro and the Philadelphia borgata. Jerry Catena represented DeCarlo and the Genovese. The negotiators reached an agreement, and it seems like it was in Caponigro's favor, most likely because DeCarlo was guilty of muscling in on Caponigro's rackets unauthorized.

DeCarlo later complained about how Caponigro ignored explicit orders and contacted Catena before asking permission from Angelo Bruno. During the inter-family meeting, it was apparent how pissed off Jerry Catena was. He mentioned that only a few weeks earlier, he told Angelo Bruno how everything in Newark was okay, and now he had to explain to him that 'everything was upside down again.' He blamed DeCarlo's greed for the whole situation. In the aftermath of the meeting, Jerry Catena ordered DeCarlo and his crew to do nothing with any New York people without first clearing it with him or Eugene Catena.

Carmine Battaglia was an interesting character because it looks like he switched multiple crime families. After the old Newark borgata disbanded, Battaglia became a Genovese member. Sometime in the 1950s, he secured a transfer to the Philadelphia crime family. During the 1962 meeting, Battaglia was most likely a caporegime. He was representing Angelo Bruno and speaking for Caponigro as if Tony Bananas was a soldier under him. It's all very speculative because Battaglia was a very influential member of the Newark underworld between 1930 and 1970 and a close associate of Catena since the 1930s. These two facts largely influenced many federal informants who provided conflicting information on the man.

4. Tony Pro was not a captain. He was Catena's underling. The FBI got confused because Pro was very influential.
Eboli, where do I find your complete writeups, please?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:22 pm Bill Feather has Pietro Campisi from Giuliana in Palermo -- I haven't been able to find anything confirming. He also has Pietro dying in 1967.

The article I saw didn't reference a specific year, just stated Thomas died in 1970 a year before his father.

There was a Pietro Campisi living in Brooklyn who was born in 1883 in Giuliana. He arrived in NYC in 1903. By his 1919 naturalization, he was living in BK. In the 1940s, he was living on Harmon Ave in Bushwick. He died in 1959. He's not our Newark guy. There was another Pietro Campisi from Giuliana, born ~1877, who entered NYC in 1899. That guy was living in Brooklyn in 1922. The latter seems to be the guy who Feather assumed was the Newark Pietro Campisi.

Then there was a Pietro Campisi who died in 1967, living in Jamaica, QU. His SSDI stated that he was born in 1878 and that prior to 1951 his SSN was issued in NY. He may have been the Pietro Campisi from Giuliana above, or another born 1878 in Partanna who lived for decades on Cornelia St in Bushwick. There was another Pietro Campisi from Salaparuta who also lived in BK, and one from Sambuca who lived in Sunset Park. No indication that any of these guys ever lived in NJ that I see.

The Pietro Campisi who was the father of the Newark Campisis was married to Fortunata "Fannie" Longo (none of these Campisis in NYC match the wife's name remotely). On his WW2 draft card, the Pietro Campisi married to Fortunata Longo stated that he was born 1876/04/18. At the time, they lived at 8 Bedford St in the Lower Vailsburg neighborhood of Newark. Later records show that this guy was indeed the father of the Newark Campisi brothers. His birthdate matches the 1876/04/19 baptism of Pietro Campisi in Camporeale, parents Gasparo Campisi and Natale Del Giudice. On the 1910 census, that Pietro stated that he arrived in the US in 1902. This matches a 1902 arrival of a Pietro Campisi, born ~1877, from Camporeale; he stated that he was bound for a brother-in-law with the surname D'Angelo. From the info I have for Pietro's wife Fannie Longo, she was born 1888-1889, most likely in Cosenza province, Calabria (further shown by records for her sister Vincenza Longo, who also settled in NJ). Her mother's surname seems to have been D'Angelo, which again fits the 1902 arrival of Pietro Campisi from Camporeale. When Pietro Campisi of Newark died in Maplewood in 1940, his death record listed his parents' names as Gaspare and Natale, again fitting the guy from Camporeale. From the info I have, Pietro and Fannie's 1st born son was named Gasparo (born 1907 - he also went by "Gus"), supporting the inference that Pietro's father was named Gasparo. Further, I have Thomas Campisi's original middle name as Gasparo also. In 1942, Gaspar "Gus" Campisi was living in Maplewood, where Pietro died. Pietro doesn't appear in the 1940 Census and Fanny is listed as a widow. Now, for the 1972 thing. According to his findagrave entry, Pietro Campisi was originally interred at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in East Orange in 1940, but was subsequently reburied in 1972 in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Hanover. His current gravestone shows that he is buried with Frances Campisi (1918-1952). This was Pietro's daughter; the Campisi brothers had a sister named Frances who was born in 1918.

Given that there were a number of Pietro Campisis in NYC, it's easy to find a record for one of them and assume that it was the same guy. I'm pretty sure, however, that the guy we're looking for was born in Camporeale and died in 1940, unless someone else has some solid info that I'm not aware of.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I just uploaded several Genovese Family FBI files, for anyone interested.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Amazing stuff Tony. There may have been a Camporeale element to the Newark Family. Underboss Saverio Monaco's business partner was a Mangiaracina from Camporeale. Camporeale would fall in with Vita easily. Nick Schiro also ended up living in Newark.

The NJ Sicilians are an enigma in the Genovese Family.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:40 pm
B. wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:22 pm Bill Feather has Pietro Campisi from Giuliana in Palermo -- I haven't been able to find anything confirming. He also has Pietro dying in 1967.

There was a Pietro Campisi living in Brooklyn who was born in 1883 in Giuliana. He arrived in NYC in 1903. By his 1919 naturalization, he was living in BK. In the 1940s, he was living on Harmon Ave in Bushwick. He died in 1959. He's not our Newark guy. There was another Pietro Campisi from Giuliana, born ~1877, who entered NYC in 1899. That guy was living in Brooklyn in 1922. The latter seems to be the guy who Feather assumed was the Newark Pietro Campisi.

Then there was a Pietro Campisi who died in 1967, living in Jamaica, QU. His SSDI stated that he was born in 1878 and that prior to 1951 his SSN was issued in NY. He may have been the Pietro Campisi from Giuliana above, or another born 1878 in Partanna who lived for decades on Cornelia St in Bushwick. There was another Pietro Campisi from Salaparuta who also lived in BK, and one from Sambuca who lived in Sunset Park. No indication that any of these guys ever lived in NJ that I see.

The Pietro Campisi who was the father of the Newark Campisis was married to Fortunata "Fannie" Longo (none of these Campisis in NYC match the wife's name remotely). On his WW2 draft card, the Pietro Campisi married to Fortunata Longo stated that he was born 1876/04/18. At the time, they lived at 8 Bedford St in the Lower Vailsburg neighborhood of Newark. Later records show that this guy was indeed the father of the Newark Campisi brothers. His birthdate matches the 1876/04/19 baptism of Pietro Campisi in Camporeale, parents Gasparo Campisi and Natale Del Giudice. On the 1910 census, that Pietro stated that he arrived in the US in 1902. This matches a 1902 arrival of a Pietro Campisi, born ~1877, from Camporeale; he stated that he was bound for a brother-in-law with the surname D'Angelo. From the info I have for Pietro's wife Fannie Longo, she was born 1888-1889, most likely in Cosenza province, Calabria (further shown by records for her sister Vincenza Longo, who also settled in NJ). Her mother's surname seems to have been D'Angelo, which again fits the 1902 arrival of Pietro Campisi from Camporeale. When Pietro Campisi of Newark died in Maplewood in 1940, his death record listed his parents' names as Gaspare and Natale, again fitting the guy from Camporeale. From the info I have, Pietro and Fannie's 1st born son was named Gasparo (born 1907 - he also went by "Gus"), supporting the inference that Pietro's father was named Gasparo. Further, I have Thomas Campisi's original middle name as Gasparo also. In 1942, Gaspar "Gus" Campisi was living in Maplewood, where Pietro died. Pietro doesn't appear in the 1940 Census and Fanny is listed as a widow. Now, for the 1972 thing. According to his findagrave entry, Pietro Campisi was originally interred at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in East Orange in 1940, but was subsequently reburied in 1972 in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Hanover. His current gravestone shows that he is buried with Frances Campisi (1918-1952). This was Pietro's daughter; the Campisi brothers had a sister named Frances who was born in 1918.

Given that there were a number of Pietro Campisis in NYC, it's easy to find a record for one of them and assume that it was the same guy. I'm pretty sure, however, that the guy we're looking for was born in Camporeale and died in 1940, unless someone else has some solid info that I'm not aware of.
Old man Pietro died earlier like you already mentioned. In November 1972, there was a funeral ceremony for the reburial. It is what likely confused the local press when they reported his funeral. There's a discrepancy with his gravestone - he was born in 1876, but it says 1878.

Here's what I got on Pietro & Sons:

Pietro Campisi (1876/78 - 1940)
Fortunata Campisi (1888 - 1969)

Gasparo Campisi (1907 - 1972)
Tommaso Campisi (1911 - 1970)
Charles Campisi (1912 - 1965)
Salvatore Campisi (1916 - 1965) (disappeared)
Anthony Campisi (1920 - 1991)
Biaggio Campisi (1922 - 2000)
Louis Campisi (died February 1958)

More details on the older boys:
6364.png

Pietro's military card where he says he was born in 1876:
military card.png

Gravestone:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/923 ... ro-campisi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:21 am 4. Tony Pro was not a captain. He was Catena's underling. The FBI got confused because Pro was very influential.
Turns out Provenzano was in Tony Carillo's decina according to a high-level bug:

Carillo also represented Provenzano in a dispute with the DeCarlo crew a year earlier in 1963.

Not sure if Pro was originally under Miranda before Carillo.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/04/ge ... -1957.html

According to JD's latest post Genovese members Frank Cacciatore, Pietro Dolce, and Ralph Dolce had heritage from Luciano's hometown Lercara Friddi.

Captain Jimmy Altomari was from Mangone, Cosenza.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:10 am https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/04/ge ... -1957.html

According to JD's latest post Genovese members Frank Cacciatore, Pietro Dolce, and Ralph Dolce had heritage from Luciano's hometown Lercara Friddi.

Does he talk to anyone? I'd really like to use his photos and if I sell these charts he'll get a percentage, but if he is opposed to my using them I'll have to make sure not to. I could get around it by altering the photo enough but that would be a scumbag thing to do and would only result in him being much more apprehensive about releasing stuff on his blog.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:57 am
eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:21 am 4. Tony Pro was not a captain. He was Catena's underling. The FBI got confused because Pro was very influential.
Turns out Provenzano was in Tony Carillo's decina according to a high-level bug:

Carillo also represented Provenzano in a dispute with the DeCarlo crew a year earlier in 1963.

Not sure if Pro was originally under Miranda before Carillo.
His affiliation before Carillo is questionable. He probably got made in the late 1950s. Carillo was a Jerry Catena loyalist, and Provenzano rose in the union due to Jerry Catena's influence in the early 1950s.

Provenzano was direct with Jerry when Eugene Catena was not around because he was in some personal feud with Tommy and Joe Pecora and didn't like to receive messages from them. The Pecora brothers were Eugene's and Jerry's principal messengers on union matters. My point is that he was directly responsible to his captain but also to the acting boss for specific union matters.

Here's an excerpt that confirms that Tony Pro was not 'technically' under the Catenas:

34632.jpg
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Should Joseph LaPadura be on here? It identified Angelo his father as a member but not the son from what I see so far.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:21 am Should Joseph LaPadura be on here? It identified Angelo his father as a member but not the son from what I see so far.
The feds IDd him as a member.
534772.jpg
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:10 am https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/04/ge ... -1957.html

I think it's noteworthy that Lucky had paesani within the family.

To CC's earlier point that we don't really see a pattern to the Mainlander ancestries. JD has Pepi Santaniello's dad from Quindice, Avellino. Looks like Bracigliano/Quindice/Lauro was a definite cluster, one that I think could be important for the criminal background of members with ancestry from these comuni (Del Ducas, the Springfield crew). I strongly suspect that Pacella's father was from the area around Balvano/Muro Lucano, Potenza, which borders the Ricigliano area that Genovese and the Catenas went back to. So that may be another one of note.