Joe Pistone

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cosanostra101
Straightened out

Joe Pistone

Post by cosanostra101 »

Have you seen the youtube videos of Joe Pistone lately? First of all he's still wearing sunglasses and even one podcaster called him the "Most Hated FBI Agent in the Mafia" Another podcaster who is a retired NYPD cop laughed at him for wearing sunglasses. He's now even teamed up with some former custom agents who calls himself Miami Vice. It's actually embarrassing to see him on the video's with this guy Starkman. I saw the Mob Museum gave him an award recently and again the count of people that he took down changed once again. I've seen 100, 150, 200, 250 even 400. Does anyone really know the exact count or have a paper clipping of when he took his case down?
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Joe Pistone

Post by outfit guy »

We now know, from his own letters (writings post Donnie Brasco book publication) that he actually engaged in robberies and other felonies. Outright admissions are provided. When he was transferred to a field office in the south, he had to resign as the SAC made him work and questioned his habits and honesty. Phoning Jules could not help. These guys lived off the mafia; didn't matter other gangs were shooting up the streets. It was about pensions and publicity. The guy is a total scumbag.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

The last time I saw an interview with him was when Mike Franzese interviewed him right around the start of the pandemic. Was still wearing shades in that video but the thing that stuck out to me about that interview was how emotional he got talking about Sonny Black. He was legit choked up at one point.
cosanostra101
Straightened out

Post by cosanostra101 »

That's the biggest lie that Pistone to this day keeps claiming. Sonny Black was NOT killed for taking Pistone around he was killed for making moves to take over the family. Joe Massino testified to that in court. He's playing that to try to show that he feels responsible for his killing so it must be true. It had absolutely nothing to do with Pistone.
Trident
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Trident »

cosanostra101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:56 am That's the biggest lie that Pistone to this day keeps claiming. Sonny Black was NOT killed for taking Pistone around he was killed for making moves to take over the family. Joe Massino testified to that in court. He's playing that to try to show that he feels responsible for his killing so it must be true. It had absolutely nothing to do with Pistone.
It would have provided a great opportunity for Massino though. Massino’s motive might have been to simply gain more power for himself, but Sonny Black taking Pistone around could have been a good pretext for making his move.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

cosanostra101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:56 am That's the biggest lie that Pistone to this day keeps claiming. Sonny Black was NOT killed for taking Pistone around he was killed for making moves to take over the family. Joe Massino testified to that in court. He's playing that to try to show that he feels responsible for his killing so it must be true. It had absolutely nothing to do with Pistone.
But the reason it stood out to me is because he’s usually been pretty stone cold about it. I’ve seen him asked in several interviews or docs if he ever felt bad about becoming friends with those guys and then getting them locked up or hurt. And he’s always been pretty unapologetic about it. He was just doing his job. It was nothing personal.

But he became emotional in that Franzese interview in a way I’ve never seen before. I know he’s always said Sonny Black got killed because of him but I don’t think that’s why he got choked up. I think Pistone always felt bad about Sonny Blacks death, and I think for a long time he was embarrassed to say it. Or was ashamed to say it. But I think he did genuinely care for Sonny Black and was genuinely sad over his death. Plus, if you read between the lines of what has been said about Pistone’s time undercover, especially from agents that have don’t it since, it seemed like he really liked the lifestyle. And while law enforcement never thought he would “defect”, I think he became entrenched in the life in a way they thought was borderline unhealthy.

And I know Massino said Sonny Black was killed because of the power struggle within the family—and NOT because of Pistone. But Massino lied frequently to the Feds. Even after he decided to cooperate. The entire reason they wired him up before a meeting with Vinny Gorgeous was because Massino had already failed multiple lie detector tests and the Feds weren’t sure if he was telling the truth about conversations he’d been having with Basciano.
Ryan98366
Straightened out

Post by Ryan98366 »

I believe Massino more than I believe Pistone. Even Capeci has said there isn’t a $500,000 murder contract on him. Pistone won’t let it go that he is in hiding and the mob is looking to kill him. And Sonny Black had his hands cut off as a message that Pistone shook hands with made men.

Pistone needed to stop this 30 years ago, I be he will never stop.
#Let’s Go Brandon!
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

My favorite Pistone moment was when Bet-David asked him how he felt when Nicky Santora was killed and Pistone was all like well it's just one of those things, what are you gonna do.

Nicky wasn't actually killed; that's just something they made up for the movie. Bet-David didn't bother to check if it was real and Pistone didn't correct him about it.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Ryan98366 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06 pm I believe Massino more than I believe Pistone. Even Capeci has said there isn’t a $500,000 murder contract on him. Pistone won’t let it go that he is in hiding and the mob is looking to kill him. And Sonny Black had his hands cut off as a message that Pistone shook hands with made men.

This idea that Pistone made up the rationale for the Sonny Black hit to make himself seem more important is beyond silly. Sonny Black being killed for Pistone was the logical conclusion for 25 years until Massino testified. It’s not like Pistone knew “the real story” all along and was changing it to make himself look more important. If you could go back in time to the early 80s and poll everyone associated with the 5 Families and ask why Sonny Black was killed, I’m guessing over 90% of them say it was because of Pistone. And not because Pistone was telling everyone that, but because that was the most rational explanation for the death at the time.

And as far as getting names mixed up or forgetting certain storylines….every single one of these guys does the same thing. Richard Canterella had a tremendous interview with Scott but he said several times throughout the interview that a lot of the details are hazy to him. And that Scott would likely know the details better. And not because he’s some big liar….but it’s because this stuff happened 20-30-40 years ago. Same with Phil Leonetti. His interview with Bet-David had several parts where he couldn’t remember someone’s nickname or other detail, and Bet-David had to provide it for him. And it’s not because Leonetti told so many lies he can’t keep his story straight. It’s because a lot of these guys are likely ashamed of their past and subconsciously try and forget much of it.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:48 am The last time I saw an interview with him was when Mike Franzese interviewed him right around the start of the pandemic. Was still wearing shades in that video but the thing that stuck out to me about that interview was how emotional he got talking about Sonny Black. He was legit choked up at one point.
He's got to play the crowd to keep feeling important and to get a few more interviews. His crowd is dwindling, the new kids interested in the mafia don't really know about him as much as we do considering the movie was so popular when it came out and we were actually living the times back then. Now he needs to play to that crowd to stay relevant.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:15 pm
Ryan98366 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06 pm I believe Massino more than I believe Pistone. Even Capeci has said there isn’t a $500,000 murder contract on him. Pistone won’t let it go that he is in hiding and the mob is looking to kill him. And Sonny Black had his hands cut off as a message that Pistone shook hands with made men.

This idea that Pistone made up the rationale for the Sonny Black hit to make himself seem more important is beyond silly. Sonny Black being killed for Pistone was the logical conclusion for 25 years until Massino testified. It’s not like Pistone knew “the real story” all along and was changing it to make himself look more important. If you could go back in time to the early 80s and poll everyone associated with the 5 Families and ask why Sonny Black was killed, I’m guessing over 90% of them say it was because of Pistone. And not because Pistone was telling everyone that, but because that was the most rational explanation for the death at the time.

And as far as getting names mixed up or forgetting certain storylines….every single one of these guys does the same thing. Richard Canterella had a tremendous interview with Scott but he said several times throughout the interview that a lot of the details are hazy to him. And that Scott would likely know the details better. And not because he’s some big liar….but it’s because this stuff happened 20-30-40 years ago. Same with Phil Leonetti. His interview with Bet-David had several parts where he couldn’t remember someone’s nickname or other detail, and Bet-David had to provide it for him. And it’s not because Leonetti told so many lies he can’t keep his story straight. It’s because a lot of these guys are likely ashamed of their past and subconsciously try and forget much of it.
I think this is a really good point. You have to remember that most of us here research this stuff as a form of interesting history. Like some people obsess about the Civil War or World War II. And we read things constantly and have a firm timeline in our head of when things happen because we've read researched books. But for informants and government witnesses, they're recounting things from their lives, and you don't research your own life. Try to think of it in terms of someone asking you when you first met one of your friends. And you're like "Oh I think we first met in the summer of 2003." And the person asking the question has read your biography and the biographies of people who knew you and he's like "No. Wrong, it was the summer of 2004." He'd be an asshole. I think of this example for me. At my old job the company did a trip at the beginning of January each year to the Caribbean as a company retreat. And if someone asked where did you guys go in 2010 and real quick I might say I think we were in the Domincan Republic. And the person goes "Wrong. You went to the Dominican Republic in 2009 and 2011, but in 2010 it was Jamaica." Now if I'm testifying I make sure to get everything right in my mind, but for a random online interview, I might mess some stuff up 20 years later.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Adam wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:48 am
Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:15 pm

I think this is a really good point. You have to remember that most of us here research this stuff as a form of interesting history. Like some people obsess about the Civil War or World War II. And we read things constantly and have a firm timeline in our head of when things happen because we've read researched books. But for informants and government witnesses, they're recounting things from their lives, and you don't research your own life. Try to think of it in terms of someone asking you when you first met one of your friends. And you're like "Oh I think we first met in the summer of 2003." And the person asking the question has read your biography and the biographies of people who knew you and he's like "No. Wrong, it was the summer of 2004." He'd be an asshole. I think of this example for me. At my old job the company did a trip at the beginning of January each year to the Caribbean as a company retreat. And if someone asked where did you guys go in 2010 and real quick I might say I think we were in the Domincan Republic. And the person goes "Wrong. You went to the Dominican Republic in 2009 and 2011, but in 2010 it was Jamaica." Now if I'm testifying I make sure to get everything right in my mind, but for a random online interview, I might mess some stuff up 20 years later.

Good points. You also have to figure that as researchers we tend to place more importance on dates, events and interactions than a lot of these guys do. What we may think is important was just another day in a lifestyle that spanned decades for them. I'm sure many of these things tend to bleed into each other in their memories.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Uncle Pete
Straightened out

Post by Uncle Pete »

outfit guy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:30 am We now know, from his own letters (writings post Donnie Brasco book publication) that he actually engaged in robberies and other felonies. Outright admissions are provided. When he was transferred to a field office in the south, he had to resign as the SAC made him work and questioned his habits and honesty. Phoning Jules could not help. These guys lived off the mafia; didn't matter other gangs were shooting up the streets. It was about pensions and publicity. The guy is a total scumbag.
Yea I agree. Joe Pistone certainly committed more serious crimes with those guys than he has ever disclosed.

I think it was one of his follow up books where he mentions Lefty got stuck up in the stairwell of some apartment going in or out of a card game. Some how they find out who the stick up kids are and Pistone admitted he caught up with one of the guys later on in the street and brutally assaulted the guy.

In my opinion there’s no way Pistone hung out with one of the most dangerous crews at the time for years and didn’t commit multiple serious violent crimes
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Uncle Pete wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:31 amIn my opinion there’s no way Pistone hung out with one of the most dangerous crews at the time for years and didn’t commit multiple serious violent crimes
No doubt
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Pistones still around yawn