Visiting Kansas City

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting Kansas City

Post by PolackTony »

Sebastian Vito "Buster" Balestrere was born in 1918 in KC to Francesco Balistrieri of Bagheria and Josephine Navarra (haven't been able to confirm her ancestry. Given that Buster's older brother James was born in Bagheria, she was most likely from there as well). Francesco, unsurprisingly, had family that settled in both Milwaukee and San Diego. From what I can trace out, Buster was indeed related to Frank Peter Balistrieri of Milwaukee, as both families seem to go back to the frazione of Aspra in Bagheria and descend from a mid-19th century couple named Francesco Balistrieri and Maria Frittitta. In 1948, Buster married Rose Marchese, who was born in KC to parents from Gibellina.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If making a 1963 KC chart, should be noted that Balstrere and Gurera moved back to KC in 1963 but were still officially Milwaukee members through at least mid-1964. Frank Balistrieri was recorded talking about it and said he hadn't told Nick Civella what his plan was for them yet.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Carl Angelo "Tuffy" DeLuna was born in 1927 in Brooklyn to Vincenzo DeLuna of Bisignano, Cosenza, Calabria and Addolorata Variano, born in NYC to parents from Isernia, Campobasso. In 1930, the DeLunas lived at 130 Prospect, which was near Navy St and the Navy Yard (today between the BQE and the Farragut Houses). Around 1933, the DeLunas decamped for KC. On his WW2 Draft Card, Vincenzo gave Alex Presta as his contact (which makes sense, as they were both Cosentini). Worth exploring whether Vincenzo was also a member or associate.

Tuffy DeLuna, of course, married Sandra Civella, daughter of Carl Joseph "Corky" Civella, sister of Anthony Civella, niece of Giuseppe Nicoli "Nick" Civella. The Civella brothers were born in KC to Antonino Civello of Poggioreale and Antonia Bove. Bove is a typically Mainlander surname, and I think that she may have been from Luco dei Marsi, L'Aquila, Abruzzo, though I'm not positive. Older Civella brother Frank was born in 1908 in Alabama, likely another connection to Birmingham. Carl Civella married Fannie Terino, mother of Anthony. She was born in KC to parents from Italy -- based on the surname, they were most likely Mainlanders. Nick Civella married Katherine Anzalone, who was from Chicago, where she was born to Eugenio Anzalone of Vicari and Domenica Muscarella of Vallelunga (the rest of her family all remained in Chicago).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thought Antonino Civello was the one who went to Chicago from Castelvetrano, good to know it's another one.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:38 pm Thought Antonino Civello was the one who went to Chicago from Castelvetrano, good to know it's another one.
I can't rule out if this guy ever went to Chicago, as the records for him (as with many of these KC people) are pretty spotty. I had to rely on ancestry.com family trees more than I'd like to. Those trees all have him as born in 1868 in Poggioreale to Francesco Civello and Pasqua DeNina. Antonino's 1951 KC death record has his parents as "Frank Civella" and "Pasqua DiNinna". This info matches an Antonino Civello born in 1869 to a Francesco Maria Civello and Pasqua DeNina in the Poggioreale birth records, so it seems pretty clear to me that it's correct. On the 1920 census in KC Tony Civello stated that he was born in 1868 (this is also where it's stated that son Frank was born in Alabama), while his actual gravestone has it as 1869. Where his wife Antonia/Jennie was from, I'm not sure. If it was actually Bove, than she was very likely a Mainlander, but if it was instead Bova, she could have been Sicilian. If anyone has anything different let me know.

There was also an Antonino Civello in NOLA, who was born ~1878 in Salaparuta. A bunch of other Civellos there from Salaparuta. And a number of other Civellos from Poggioreale in KC, unsure what their relation to Antonio was. In 1913, there was a Dominick Civello who killed a guy in Chinatown in Chicago, but I'm not sure where he was from, though there were Civellos from Poggioreale and Gibellina there too.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:56 pm The Pueblo boss in the mid-1920s was a LaRocca who wanted to kill Chiappetta, but Gentile arranged Chiappetta to transfer to KC. Maybe a connection with this LaRocca. Seeing a lot of ties between KC and Pueblo -- Gibellina, Poggioreale, Burgio.
The FBI had LaRocca as born in Lucca Sicula and connected to CO:

nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:46 pm Sebastian Vito "Buster" Balestrere was born in 1918 in KC to Francesco Balistrieri of Bagheria and Josephine Navarra (haven't been able to confirm her ancestry. Given that Buster's older brother James was born in Bagheria, she was most likely from there as well). Francesco, unsurprisingly, had family that settled in both Milwaukee and San Diego. From what I can trace out, Buster was indeed related to Frank Peter Balistrieri of Milwaukee, as both families seem to go back to the frazione of Aspra in Bagheria and descend from a mid-19th century couple named Francesco Balistrieri and Maria Frittitta. In 1948, Buster married Rose Marchese, who was born in KC to parents from Gibellina.
At the bottom of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2168&p=149923#p149923 - is a tree of the Balestreres. Glad to see it matches what you’ve written. You guys research at such a fast pace.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Confusing explanation of the leadership, seems to be saying Civella isn't a "true member" like the Men at the Bakery. The informant does seem to understand the Bakery guys are a higher authority of elders and Civella could eventually become a "semi-retired consultant" like the others.

Jack Binaggia's daughter died in 2015 and her sister married a Chiappetta: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... ia-6413357
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Members who fled to Kansas City in the 1920s from Pueblo:

- Vincenzo & Marco Chiappetta (brothers, related by marriage to Scaglias)
- Mariano Scaglia (brother of Pellegrino)
- Luca Colletti (nephew of Pellegrino Scaglia)
- Francesco Accomando (Pellegrino's father-in-law)

- Colletti was from Burgio like the Scaglias and if he did flee to Kansas City he soon returned to Colorado where he died young in 1931 -- was he murdered?

- Accomando came from Palazzo Adriano and died in Kansas City in 1928. There was a Palazzo colony in Colorado with links to the Bonanno Family, but this points to what Tony was saying about the DiGiovannis potentially having ties to Palazzo in KC. Frank's son John Accomando moved his family to Texas after Kansas City.

- Mariano Scaglia died in KC in 1951. Looks like Pellegrino Scaglia lived in Brooklyn when Mariano arrived to him in 1905.

- Marco Chiappetta died in KC in 1969, so should me on the KC chart for 1963 if not already.

- I'm under the impression Vincenzo Chiappetta transferred to the St. Louis Family after KC but not sure if it's been confirmed. One source said he served as interim boss of STL for a short time when the previous boss died.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

nash143 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:44 am I put a 68 chart together here - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4594&start=15

As far as I remember, all the members were from MF files.
I remember this. You did an incredible job!
motorfab wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:57 am I'm not an expert about KC, far from it, but I like to read about them. Here is a list of members from 1967 https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... search=t-2

For the leadership https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... search=t-2
Me neither, I seen these and other documents, they had an idea of the membership.

B. wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:17 pm Ed's articles on KC informants are great for understanding the basics:

https://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/infcrapisi.html

https://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/infgurera.html

In terms of breaking down the structure and full membership, I haven't seen much. There were elders/possibly a consiglio who Civella reported to. Crapisi believed there was some sort of hierarchy beneath the admin but didn't know terms like capodecina.

St. Louis underboss John Vitale mentioned Thomas Simone, Joe Gurera, and "Black Louis" as members circa January 1963. Also based on Vitale's comments, Kansas City was like Detroit and Chicago in that they took the murder requirement seriously when it came to inducting members. I'd guess they were pretty small and selective, though Vitale commented that Kansas City and Chicago both did a good job training new recruits to replace older members dying off while St. Louis didn't.
"Civella had an echelon of men reporting to him who handled gambling, labor, etc. Each of these men commanded a group of followers. Valachi would have referred to a group as a "regime," but Crapisi stated that "no special name [was] given to this group of men."

I wish Crapasi would have listed who these "upper echelon" men were.

"He said Johnny Lazia, Charles Carollo, Charles Binaggio and Tony Gizzo previously occupied the position of "the Man."

Interesting, I wonder who came before Lazia.
PolackTony wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:43 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:17 am Currently putting together a list of members. The FBI docs provided a list of names, still working on them. The FBN book has names that the FBI didn't mention as members but some of them like the Chiapettas and DiGiovannis we know were. Here's the other names, I know next to nothing about this city so if someone can assist that'd be great-

1 Leonard Affronti (5/28/1898 - 3/30/1960)

2 Giacomo Ancona (1/10/1889 - 4/27/1968)

3 Antonino Bonino (3/9/1905 - 11/26/1980)

4 Paul Catanzaro (11/9/1984 - ?)

5 Frank DeLuca (4-1-1898 - 5/12/1967)

6 Joseph DeLuca (4/17/1893 - ?)

7 Frank LaRocca (2/14/1889 - 12/27/1976

8 Joseph Olivo (2/14/1899 - 2/20/1972)

9 Alexander Presta (*listed as a suspected member/associate in 67) (7/9/02 - 8/26/1974

Listed but we confirmed older members-

Vincenzo Chiapetta
Joseph DiGiovanni
Peter DiGiovanni
Just to get the ball rolling here.

Leonardo "Lonnie" Affronti was born in 1898 (though some records state 1899) in KC to Antonio Affronti of Ventimiglia and Antonina "Lena" Fradella of Trabia. Parents arrived in KC ~1893 and operated a grocery store at 517 Gillis St. His older sister Angelina Afrronti married a Rocco Manzo of Campobello di Mazzara. All three comuni are also places that connect strongly to Chicago as well.

Giacomo "Jack" Ancona was born 1889 in Castelvetrano to Giuseppe Ancona and Rosa Conte. Ancona emigrated to KC in 1912 with his wife Giovannina "Jennie" LoSciuto/Sciuto, also from Castelvetrano. Jack's sister Delia Ancona married a Phillip Sciuto as well.

Antonino "Anthony" Bonino was born in 1905 in Gibellina to Nunzio Bonino and Vincenza Scandiolata. He arrived in NYC in 1923 bound for KC where his uncle Gioacchino Binaggia was already living. In 1937, he married Vincenza "Virigina" Solito, who was born in KC to Giuseppe Solito and Maria Giannusa, who I were very likely also from Trapani province (possibly Gibellina or Castelvetrano).

Paolo "Paul" Catanzaro was born in 1884 in Gibellina (died in 1969 in KC). He arrived in NOLA in 1902, and in 1912 married Mary Molinaro who was born ~1896 in KC (parents may have been Baresi, not positive).

Francesco "Frank" DeLuca was born in 1898 in Giardinello, Palermo province to Antonino De Luca and Antonina Buzzetti. It's unclear to me when exactly he arrived in the US. In 1956, he married Lilian Cora Buckner, who was born to an Anglo-American family in Polk County, MO. It seems that he also had an older brother named Giuseppe "Joe" DeLuca who lived in KC as well and was born in 1893 in Giardinello.

Frank LaRocca was born ~1889 in Italy. I've been unable to confirm his origins. In 1923, he married Francesca "Frances" Cerrito, born in Cefalu, in Cape Girardeau County, MO.

Joseph Olivo was born in 1899 in Kansas City to Michele "Marco" Olivo and Luigia "Louise" DeMaio. His parents were both born in Italy and married in 1891 in Cape Girardeau County, MO. Unable to confirm thier origins, but based on the surnames a very strong guess is that the father was either Calabrese or Messinese, and the mother Napolitan' or Calabrese.

Alexander Presta was born in 1902 in KC to Antonio Presta and Grazia Mazza of Cosenza province, Calabria. In 1924, he married Millie Nasello, who was born in KC to parents who may have been from Gangi, Palermo province.

The Digiovanni brothers (Giuseppe, Pietro, Paolo) were from Chiusa Sclafani. Given that this comune direclty borders Palazzo Adriano, where Nick DeJohn of Chicago's father was from, this may be significant. In the 1960s, a Chicago CI claimed that the upstart faction in Chicago (during the "Cheese War"), which apparently included DeJohn, had reached out to the KC Outfit for help, so the possibility that DeJohn may have been related to the KC DiGiovannis may be relevant there. Another potential link to Chicago is that Giuseppe DiGiovanni married a Jennie Fasone whose family seems to have been from Termini.

Antiliar and B. have both discussed Chiappetta previously, who was born in 1886 in Poggioreale.
Oh man, I completed most of these guys, I just didn't post it. We covered the same stuff but you found some things I could not- I couldn't find Sandra's surname. Kudos on Catherine Ruvolo, that took me a few days to find out who "Lena" was. I can't find where she's from either.

All these names were in the FBN book and I could only confirm some of them were members, the others were not mentioned by the FBI in the Mary Ferrell documents. - https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... e%20blando

I have an excel document covering most of this. I'm still adding stuff, today I'll email it to Antiliar, Tony and B.

For 1963 organization-

Boss - Nick Civella
Under - Thomas Simone
Panel of seniors - Joseph Cusumano and Joseph Filardo

Former bosses (wiki)
1912–1931 – Joseph "Joe Church" DiGiovanni
1931–1934 – John "Brother John" Lazia (murdered in 1934)
1934–1939 – Charles "Charlie the Wop" Carrollo (convicted in 1939)
1939–1950 – Charles Binaggio (murdered)
1950–1953 – Anthony Gizzo

Given how early these guys were here, 1912 seems too late.

Capodecina?
Joe Carrollo
Thomas Caccioppo
Carl DeLuna
Carl Civella
Tont Civella

Members-
Sebastiano Vito Balestere Buster 11/16/1918
Charles William Bengimina Red Brick 11/2/1909
Giovanni Battista Blando 6/12/1897
Charles Anthony Cacioppo Chucky Morgan 6/20/1923
William Cammisano Willie Cummings 4/26/1914
Louis Cangelose Black Louie 8/7/1913
Salvatore Carrollo Sam Carrollo 8/21/1914
Nicholas Evola 4/1/1909
Felix Ferina 1/30/1925
Thomas Fontanella Dude 9/20/1911
Joseph Frank Gurera 7/4/1925
Joseph Lascuola Joe School 1/1/1897
Michael Lascuola Mike School 5/19/1906
Gaetano Lococo Thomas 1/3/1895
John Mangiaracina Johnny Mag 8/3/1911
John B. Molle 12/27/1914
Charles David Moretina 2/28/1928
Peter Joseph Tamburello 1/17/1932
Frank Anthony Tousa 1/5/1927

Suspected-
John Frank Amaro 9/22/1924
Samuel James Ancona 9/29/1921
Thomas Ralph Bengimina 5/28/1933
Jasper Brancato
Charles Bruno
Frank Charles Cacioppo 4/3/1928
Salvatore Alexander Capra 6/6/1928
Anthony John Cardarella 2/12/1926
James Albert Ciarelli
Frank Joseph De Luna 3/31/1921?
James Salvatore Duardi 3/11/1921
Anthony Joseph Gargotta 9/14/1917
Michael Carl Malaponte 6/18/1937
Patrick Michael Maturo 9/20/1916
Jasper Joseph Mirabile 2/11/1930
Leonard Mirabile 10/16/1900
Dominick M. Nigro
Louis Lawrence Nigro
James Palma
Baldasaro Palmentere
Alexander Joseph Presta
Henry Scudiero
Paul Silvio
Ross Joseph Strada
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Vincenzo Chiappetta's was naturalized in PA, one of his witnesses was a G Conte from Pittsburgh who was a Wholesale Liquor dealer. He was likely affiliated with Pittsburgh before transferring elsewhere.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I can't locate any records of this guy in NY to ascertain who his parents were.

Charles William Bengimina
Red Brick
11/2/1909
Brooklyn, NY
224 E 44th St North, Kansas City, MO
Father:
Mother:
Jennie Ettarie
Co-owns B&G Amusement Co., and B&G Vending Company; 3113 Gillham Road, Kansas City, MO
FBI # 2011904
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

No luck on Joe Olivo, FBN book said his father was Giuseppe but everything else points to Michele (Marco). There were two arrivals, one in 1903 and another in 1905 of "Marco Oliva" born in 1860, one was from Arpaio, Italy and the other Terracotta, Italy and I can't find either of those towns. I did a google search and all I learned was that Sheriff Joe Arpaio is of Italian descent.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:48 am Vincenzo Chiappetta's was naturalized in PA, one of his witnesses was a G Conte from Pittsburgh who was a Wholesale Liquor dealer. He was likely affiliated with Pittsburgh before transferring elsewhere.
Great find. This was clearly the Conti recounted by Nick Gentile, so definitely seems like it. Gentile was close to Chiappetta, you’d think he would’ve mentioned the tie to Pitt.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

1/27/1912 At 9:15 am Informant CLEMENT called and reported that two Italians, one RIBAULD, short, medium build, the other CHIAPPETTA, about 5'8'', stout, smooth face, dark complexion, - have been here for several days from Kansas City. CLEMENT does not know whether they are from Kansas City, Missouri or Kansas City, Kansas. They came here to discuss some black hand matters with SEBASTIANO GITANO, of Brooklyn, also to try and get some ctft notes. These two men left at 1pm today to return to KC. CHIAPPETTI, on his return, is going to get married. CLEMENTE also stated that ctft ??? BETTINI'S nephew, that he will try and get some samples.

1/29/1912 Two Italians named RIBAUD and CHIAPPETTA former short medium built the latter about 5'8, smooth face, dark complexion, from either Kansas City, MO or Kansas were in New York for several days on Blackhand matters and to gt cft notes left NY for home last Friday endeavor to locate them and investivate CHIAPETTA expects to marry Soon. Moran.

1/29/1912 As there has been a number of killings in the Italian district lately, among them was the killing of an italian policeman, and while no one was convicted for any of the above crimes, there has been a large number of arrests made by the local police lately, that is in the last few months and I know that the Chief had a number of men on the force working undercover in that district, so thought best to have a talk with him about CHIAPPETTA. I called on Chief who told me an Italian named ANGELO GIRRARD who is employed by PD as game-well operator, but wh has been working on blackhand matters for the chief. He did not tell him what he wanted but the chief asked him if he knew CHIAPPETTA nad he said yes. That there were two brothers, one had a grocery at 620 K th St, right in the heart of the tough Italian district. He did not know RIBAUD. GIRRARD was told to try and learn more about them and if they returned. The Chief seems to have faith in this man and thinks he'll be able to get info.

1/30/1912 Italian policeman ANGRLO GIRRARD reported that CHIAPPETTA had returned to KC on Sunday with 3 others, that he is with his brother on 620 E 5th St.

1/30/1912 GIRRARD told me that it's VINCENZO CHIAPPETTA getting married, he runs the grcoery on 620 E 5th St. GIRRARD doesn't know the younger brother's name but that the 4 men, mentioned above were going to leave Kansas City next Sunday, that they were going to work, but he don't know where or what kind of work. The Bunch of italians who hang around CHIAPPETTAS store are considered a very bad bunch, local police suspect them as having done the killing lately in Kansas City.

1/31/1912 ANGELO GIRRARD reports that RIBAUD is known as BONDI and not BODI. Might be a CHIAPPETTA relative. VINCENZO CHIAPPETTA'S marriage will take place next Sunday.

2/4/1912 Went to wedding of VINCENZO CHIAPPETTA, 403 1/2 Locust St. His brother was there as was BONDI aka RIBAUD who is alleged to be a cousin of CHIAPPETTAS. He seemed to be known as TONY. Afterward we contacted the Priest and asked about the CHIAPPETTA'S and was told they were bad. The priest was wiling to talk as just a week ago an Italian was sent to state prison for 3 years for sending a black hand letter to that priest. There was hardly any one there that was of the better class of Italians, but most of them were Sicilians. This man "BONDI' was the best man at this wedding and seemed to be a smart fellow. Our Informant ANGELO GIRARD was also at this wedding and later told us that as far as he could learn, this bunch, BONDI, young CHIAPPETTA and the other two were going to Cheyenne, Wy to work. The man who killed the police officer is alleged in Cheyenne. GIRRARD said this group is a careful bunch biut BONDI asked him if he could get a revolver for him the other day.

2/5/1912 ANGELO GIRRARD learned that the young CHIAPPETTA, BONDI and the other two were going to wait a week before leaving and that BONDI'S name is TONY CORCIOPO, and seems to be the brains of the bunch.

2/9/1912 VINCENZO CHIAPPETTA was in trouble a few years ago of some kind in Houston TX and that the US Dist. Att will be able to furnish this info.

3/4/1912 Chief received anonymous letter naming VINCENZO CHIAPPETTA, VITO RIBONDA and many others, he is going to have it translated.

8/14/1918 CHARLIE PETERI, PHILLIP FASSO, JOE CARRIO AND GEORGE ALONGE were placed under attest and taken to federal building with flour.

8/15/1918 At 3:30PM DiFiore and Gillson returned and reported the arrest of VITO ALONGO, SAM ALONGO and VINCENT VENTURA, Kansas City, Kas, for hoarding flour, also that warrants have been prepared for the two selling this flour, PETER DIGIOVANI 1000 E 5th St and ANTONIO AFFRONTI 717 Gillis St, Kansas City, MO.