Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by thekiduknow »

Definitely, and could be that they just didn’t know.

A good comparison is this report. No doubt it’s from the same wiretap:

Notice how they use “caporegima”, and “button guy”. My feeling is if they knew that D’Angelo was a captain, they’d use “caporegima”.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Let me know once you guys know re. DeAngelo. Also, I'll be taking Caruso off from the top under the former bosses section. He was acting, perhaps even for just a few days and listing him twice is redundant. If anyone has any strenuous objections I can make note in the capo section that he was a former underboss and onetime acting boss post-Maranzano.

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Also, interesting that Johnny Morales was from Baucina. NY members of the Genovese, Gambino and now Bonanno families have members from there.

Also, Cotrone is from Mammola? Same place as Scarfo? A book on Toronto detailed two unnmaed Philadelphia members going to meet people in Canada in the 1980's, wonder if there's any connection. If interested, I'd have to pull it up but I believe I have it.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Isn't there something in one of the Bonanno books about D'Angelo being a "group leader" earlier on? Blanking on where I saw it, but I think Bill describes D'Angelo carrying out some duty on his behalf. Could be mistaken.

For the Cotronis, yeah that is the same hometown as the Scarfos and Piccolos. The Cotroni's father, Scarfo, and his uncle Piccolo were all named Nicodemo for the patron saint. Nicky Scarfo Jr. posted on a genealogy site about 20 years ago about how he was named for the saint, so they all know where it comes from.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Quick note Chris, I realize now that I labeled that picture of Domenico Sabella(the one born in 1911) as just “Sabella”, so it looks like his picture is where Michael Sabella should be. That’s my mistake.

I agree, Caruso doesn’t need to be on the succession of bosses. I do think it should be noted in the capos section, but that’s just me.

For D’Angelo, you’re right B. Bill says in Bound by Honor that he sent D’Angelo down to Florida in 61 to talk to Kennedy’s father about the crackdown on organized crime. I don’t know how much I believe that honestly.

I do remember that he was listed on that 1960/1969 list of the admin/captains in 1960, but I’m not sure if that’s based on a report saying he was a captain in 1960, or if they just lumped him
in since he was a captain before the split. There’s quite a few captains missing from the 1960 list.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:22 pm Also, Cotrone is from Mammola? Same place as Scarfo? A book on Toronto detailed two unnmaed Philadelphia members going to meet people in Canada in the 1980's, wonder if there's any connection. If interested, I'd have to pull it up but I believe I have it.
FWIW, my understanding is that the main destination for emigrants from Mammola were Toronto, Montreal, and Philly. Of these, Toronto seems to have been the major one and still has an active Mammolesi Social Club today that hosts cultural events.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:08 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:22 pm Also, Cotrone is from Mammola? Same place as Scarfo? A book on Toronto detailed two unnmaed Philadelphia members going to meet people in Canada in the 1980's, wonder if there's any connection. If interested, I'd have to pull it up but I believe I have it.
FWIW, my understanding is that the main destination for emigrants from Mammola were Toronto, Montreal, and Philly. Of these, Toronto seems to have been the major one and still has an active Mammolesi Social Club today that hosts cultural events.
Toronto had a very diverse range from Mammola to San Roberto to Gioiosa Ionica. I would argue that Toronto is/was to the Calabrese was NY was to the Sicilians on a wide range of levels. I just know so damned little about it, Canadian records aren't my forte but that history deserves looking into in a way that you and I and the others do it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm
PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:08 pm
Toronto had a very diverse range from Mammola to San Roberto to Gioiosa Ionica. I would argue that Toronto is/was to the Calabrese was NY was to the Sicilians on a wide range of levels. I just know so damned little about it, Canadian records aren't my forte but that history deserves looking into in a way that you and I and the others do it.
Agreed. Completely out of my element when it comes to Canadian records.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Joe Venza lived in Pittsburgh for a time, another Bonanno connection there.
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 9.47.54 PM.png
In his obit that ran in the Pittsburgh press, it says that he lived in San Remo for 18 years prior to his death, so he moved there in 1955. He lived in Modesto in the 40s, and was living in Arizona by 1951.
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 9.54.12 PM.png
He was reported to be a San Francesco member in 1967, so I wonder if he may have transferred from the SF family, to the Bonannos, then back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Maybe Stefano Condina was one of them ? Seems he was a cousin of Violi and member of the Philly mafia. Never managed to find much on him
stevan tod
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by stevan tod »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:18 pm Let me know once you guys know re. DeAngelo. Also, I'll be taking Caruso off from the top under the former bosses section. He was acting, perhaps even for just a few days and listing him twice is redundant. If anyone has any strenuous objections I can make note in the capo section that he was a former underboss and onetime acting boss post-Maranzano.

Let me know if you need photos. I want to contribute. Good job sir.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

stevan tod wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:26 am
Thank you as always. Your help is always appreciated. kiduknow would be the person to ask, he's compiling all the info and photos.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:18 pm Let me know once you guys know re. DeAngelo. Also, I'll be taking Caruso off from the top under the former bosses section. He was acting, perhaps even for just a few days and listing him twice is redundant. If anyone has any strenuous objections I can make note in the capo section that he was a former underboss and onetime acting boss post-Maranzano.

Like Chris said, your help is much appreciated.

Off the top off my head, Lucido, Benny Valvo, and Vigneri we need. I have the watermarked versions, but if you’re willing to share the originals that would be appreciated.

Could you list the guys you have pictures of?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

stevan tod wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:10 am I have photos of Lucido, Vigneri, Bivona,Tony Cusenza, both Spadaros, Busciglio,Tartaglia and many more... This one shouldn't be a problem when it comes to photos.
Stevan, I remembered you posted this.

Bivona, the Spadaros, and Busciglio are needed as well.
stevan tod
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by stevan tod »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:22 am

Like Chris said, your help is much appreciated.

Off the top off my head, Lucido, Benny Valvo, and Vigneri we need. I have the watermarked versions, but if you’re willing to share the originals that would be appreciated.

Could you list the guys you have pictures of?
I'm on it.