Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:26 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:09 pm Back to Simari, here's what he told the FBI:

So he went to LA around 1956, and Tucson in 1960. Do we know when Battaglia transferred to the Bonannos?

I'm gonna add Salvatore Spinelli to the suspected members list. Spinelli owned the Crazy Horse Bar in New Mexico that Simari worked at, and Spinelli was caught up in an extortion case with Battaglia in 64/65. Given that the Bonannos were making guys after 57, he could have been made by 63, or after, but was definitely involved by 63.
Don't know if you've already looked into his genealogy, but I suspect that Spinelli will be another Calabres'.
Looking into him now. His father's draft card/birth index says that he was born in Brooklyn, but an obit says Sicily. I don't think he was born there, but his parents may have been.

Edit: His grandfather was named Salvatore Spinelli(no surprise there), and the closest match I can find is one who was born in, you called it, Petilia Policastro, Calabria. Not confirmed, but the age matches.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Taking down Smitty D'Angelo as a captain. LaBruzzo's bug reported this conversation in November of 1963:

Looks like he took over for Morales in April of 1964 then.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

For Captains bios, do we have Alfano, DeAngelo, Cotroni, Notaro, Retivo, Battaglia, Venzi, Coletti, Bonventre? If they're still being ironed out, no worries.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:12 am For Captains bios, do we have Alfano, DeAngelo, Cotroni, Notaro, Retivo, Battaglia, Venzi, Coletti, Bonventre? If they're still being ironed out, no worries.
Not yet, some are mostly completed, others I haven’t started yet. Like I said above we can remove D’Angelo, but for him all I need is where his parents are from. I’ve been having trouble finding that. Same for Alfano and Notaro.

The rest I’ll work on.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:19 am
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:12 am For Captains bios, do we have Alfano, DeAngelo, Cotroni, Notaro, Retivo, Battaglia, Venzi, Coletti, Bonventre? If they're still being ironed out, no worries.
Not yet, some are mostly completed, others I haven’t started yet. Like I said above we can remove D’Angelo, but for him all I need is where his parents are from. I’ve been having trouble finding that. Same for Alfano and Notaro.

The rest I’ll work on.
If Bill Feather is right, Alfano is from Racalmuto (province of Agrigento) http://mafiamembershipcharts.blogspot.c ... 0-50s.html
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

motorfab wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:28 am
thekiduknow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:19 am

The rest I’ll work on.
If Bill Feather is right, Alfano is from Racalmuto (province of Agrigento) http://mafiamembershipcharts.blogspot.c ... 0-50s.html
I meant where Alfano’s parents are from. If I can’t find anything concrete, I think we can just note that they’re were also likely from Racalmuto/Agrigento
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Sounds correct.

Chris, for Vic Cotroni he's from Mammola (see my post on page 1 + his DOB/DOD). But you need more info maybe ?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

motorfab wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:46 am Sounds correct.

Chris, for Vic Cotroni he's from Mammola (see my post on page 1 + his DOB/DOD). But you need more info maybe ?
I actually do have Cotroni’s info, just haven’t check his parents. On the FBN book they list his birthplace as Marina, Reggio Calabria. Is that wrong?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:05 am

I actually do have Cotroni’s info, just haven’t check his parents. On the FBN book they list his birthplace as Marina, Reggio Calabria. Is that wrong?
Cotroni, Vincenzo
  • @ “Vic”
  • DOB: 11/10/1910
  • POB: Marina, Reggio, Calabria, Italy
  • F: Giuseppe Cotroni
  • M: Maria Michelotti
  • Wife: Maria Brisciani
  • Occupation: Owns Chez Paree and Vic’s Cafe, VP of Servet Agencies, LTD.
  • Origin: Reggio Calabria
  • Address: 4800 Bd Pie-IX, Montréal, QC H1X 2B5, Canada
  • Photo: FBN Book
  • FBI#415374D, Montreal Police FPS 183003
Pretty sure I got this all from the FBN book.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Yes he's from Mammola. I just checked in Laurentian's book. FBN Book is right on the DOB on the contrary of wikipedia but wrong on the place of birth ;) . Among the Controni's child only Frank & Michel are born in Montreal, Vic, Pep and the two sisters are born in Mammola

Regarding the parents :

To make short they come to USA 1911 in USA at first and then came back to Calabria becuase Nicodemo has to do his military service. They later settled in Montreal in 1919
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

motorfab wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:59 am

Yes he's from Mammola. I just checked in Laurentian's book. FBN Book is right on the DOB on the contrary of wikipedia but wrong on the place of birth ;) . Among the Controni's child only Frank & Michel are born in Montreal, Vic, Pep and the two sisters are born in Mammola

Regarding the parents :

To make short they come to USA 1911 in USA at first and then came back to Calabria becuase Nicodemo has to do his military service. They later settled in Montreal in 1919
Thanks man 8-) I'll correct it. Chris, here is Cotroni's bio:

Cotroni, Vincenzo
  • @ “Vic”
  • DOB: 11/10/1910
  • POB: Mammola Reggio, Calabria, Italy
  • F: Nicodemo Cotroni(Mammola, Reggio, Calabria)
  • M: Maria Michelotti(Mammola, Reggio, Calabria)
  • Wife: Maria Brisciani
  • Occupation: Owns Chez Paree and Vic’s Cafe, VP of Servet Agencies, LTD.
  • Origin: Reggio Calabria
  • Address: 4800 Bd Pie-IX, Montréal, QC H1X 2B5, Canada
  • Photo: FBN Book
  • FBI#415374D, Montreal Police FPS 183003
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

One correction (sorry I forgot to specify), Nicodemo's name (and therefore Vic) was Cotrone :). It's Vic who change it later in "Cotroni"
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:47 am Taking down Smitty D'Angelo as a captain. LaBruzzo's bug reported this conversation in November of 1963:

Maybe missing something, but I'm not seeing where this rules him out as captain.

--

Nick Alfano is definitely from Racalmuto. He was also close to Racalmutesi in other cities and at least one member of his crew was from there.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:49 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:47 am Taking down Smitty D'Angelo as a captain. LaBruzzo's bug reported this conversation in November of 1963:

Maybe missing something, but I'm not seeing where this rules him out as captain.

--

Nick Alfano is definitely from Racalmuto. He was also close to Racalmutesi in other cities and at least one member of his crew was from there.
My bad, I should have been clearer. He's referred to as a "button guy" here. We don't know if LaBruzzo or someone else referred to him as such on the tape, or if the agent noted it, but I'm assuming they mean he was a soldier.

I may be forgetting, or haven't seen it, I don't think I've seen him referred to as a captain before 1964. Right now, I think he took over Morales' crew when he was promoted to underboss in March/April, 1964.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh my take is "button guy" just refers to membership, not necessarily soldier rank. No idea when he was promoted though.