Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by Angelo Santino »

thekiduknow wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:01 am
Ok, we can do that. But notice Vincent Alo and Joe Doto and how it lists the succession in the "Present" section. It also has a Former Section. Do you want to focus on the present and who they succeeded only or do you want a Former Captains section as well?

This brings us next to Acting Capos. Do you want them under the Captain or in the decina section below the capo section?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Let's keep it in the present and who they succeeded. The only former captain I think of that isn't already accounted for by the line of succession is Vincenzo Asaro. Maybe we can note that on his profile, but we don't need a former captain section I think.

I think the acting capo should be listed in the decina section. Might be a little too crowded for the crews that would list the former captain.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

thekiduknow wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:16 am Let's keep it in the present and who they succeeded. The only former captain I think of that isn't already accounted for by the line of succession is Vincenzo Asaro. Maybe we can note that on his profile, but we don't need a former captain section I think.

I think the acting capo should be listed in the decina section. Might be a little too crowded for the crews that would list the former captain.
You're making it easy. Grazie mil.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

One issue is that we have guys on here multiple times. I'd like to avoid listing Morales on it 3 times, Capo, former Acting Boss, Acting Underboss.
B Bonanno, La Bruzzo, Tartamella and Caruso (AB in 1930) are also each on there twice.

Maybe one of these, non alphabetical but it fits better-

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I think the one on the right would be better.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Back to Simari, here's what he told the FBI:

So he went to LA around 1956, and Tucson in 1960. Do we know when Battaglia transferred to the Bonannos?

I'm gonna add Salvatore Spinelli to the suspected members list. Spinelli owned the Crazy Horse Bar in New Mexico that Simari worked at, and Spinelli was caught up in an extortion case with Battaglia in 64/65. Given that the Bonannos were making guys after 57, he could have been made by 63, or after, but was definitely involved by 63.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Battaglia transferred to the Bonannos while Bompensiero was still in prison, so probably sometime in the mid-late 1950s. He may have transferred in 1956 when Desimone took over, around the same time Roselli transferred to Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

thekiduknow wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:09 pm Back to Simari, here's what he told the FBI:

So he went to LA around 1956, and Tucson in 1960. Do we know when Battaglia transferred to the Bonannos?

I'm gonna add Salvatore Spinelli to the suspected members list. Spinelli owned the Crazy Horse Bar in New Mexico that Simari worked at, and Spinelli was caught up in an extortion case with Battaglia in 64/65. Given that the Bonannos were making guys after 57, he could have been made by 63, or after, but was definitely involved by 63.
Don't know if you've already looked into his genealogy, but I suspect that Spinelli will be another Calabres'.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Who were the Bonanno informants in 1963?

Also, layout is done and the info and pics just needs to be input. I don't think all the info is compiled, we can go back to to it. The Gens, Tampa and Detroit are in a state of limbo while I continue to compile info.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

William Dara was a CI during this era I think
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

motorfab wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:40 am William Dara was a CI during this era I think
Was Bill Bonanno yet?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

You're right Motorfab.

Bill Bonanno started informing in 1965.

I believe Frank LaBruzzo was an informant during the split.

There was a LES member giving information, I think starting in the early 1960s. He hung around Patsy Giganti/Frank Mari and the Parkview Bar, a hangout for LES Bonanno members. He was also said to be "close to the labor rackets". His code was NY-4336-C-TE.

Good time to share that not long ago I figured out that Arizona member Tony Cacioppo was giving information. Pretty sure he was PX-777.

Nick Cacioppo was his uncle.

Not sure if Fauney D'Angelo was informing at this time.

So total of 5
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Yeah Bill became CI later. Chris, with thekid we debriefed this in the article we did for my blog about the Bonanno Split that you can also find in the article section here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8623

I know DeFilippo did it in the late 50s but was it still him the liaison between NY & Montreal in 1963? Or Labruzzo? I ask because as Labruzzo was at the start of the Bonanno Split when JB got "kidnapped" (or went on vacation ^^)
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

That's a good question. Makes me wonder why LaBruzzo represented them in 64, seems like it should have been Notaro.

Anyone able to find anything on Thomas D'Angelo's parents? They were Louis D'Angelo(abt 1884) and Angela Scavalito(abt 1889). I haven't been able to come up with where they were from, or even date of births for them.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Bonventres were related by marriage to some Cacioppos, never able to confirm if this one was a relative. Sciortino was another who was surprisingly forthcoming with the FBI, though never saw that he officially cooperated.

Don't think the possible D'Angelo informant was informing until the very late 1960s at the earliest.

Willie Dara didn't cooperate until 1967 according to Ed's article.