Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:59 pm
cavita wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:23 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:37 pm
cavita wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm Giuseppe Ocello was born November 1, 1957 in Burgio, Sicily to Salvatore Ocello and Giuseppa Fiumarella and he immigrated to Rockford in 1972 with his family. Ocello was involved in the pizzeria business specifically the Sicilian Restaurant in Roscoe, Illinois. 1980s FBI files noted the Sicilian Restaurant was under surveillance for narcotics distribution relating to the Rockford LCN and Ocello was arrested in December 1986 for selling 51 gram of cocaine to an undercover FBI agent. This operation was tied to the Iron Tower II case. In 1994 Ocello married Francesca Intravaia in Rockford. Intravaia’s family was from Palermo, Sicily. As of today Ocello owns and operates Bravo Pizza.
Great info as always Cavita. Any idea if Ocello is made? And is that Bravo Pizza is Harvard? I have driven by it but have never ate there.
I have no idea if he is made or not but it wouldn't surprise me. His pizzeria is there and I believe one in South Beloit as well.
Worth noting that the FBI specified that there was a Sicilian Cosa Nostra ring operating around Beloit in that early 90s report that you shared with me. Wonder if this was related to Ocello.
I would assume that the Ocello family was one of the many Sicilians underboss Frank Buscemi brought into Rockford, especially given they were from Burgio.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:01 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:59 pm
cavita wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:23 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:37 pm
cavita wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm Giuseppe Ocello was born November 1, 1957 in Burgio, Sicily to Salvatore Ocello and Giuseppa Fiumarella and he immigrated to Rockford in 1972 with his family. Ocello was involved in the pizzeria business specifically the Sicilian Restaurant in Roscoe, Illinois. 1980s FBI files noted the Sicilian Restaurant was under surveillance for narcotics distribution relating to the Rockford LCN and Ocello was arrested in December 1986 for selling 51 gram of cocaine to an undercover FBI agent. This operation was tied to the Iron Tower II case. In 1994 Ocello married Francesca Intravaia in Rockford. Intravaia’s family was from Palermo, Sicily. As of today Ocello owns and operates Bravo Pizza.
Great info as always Cavita. Any idea if Ocello is made? And is that Bravo Pizza is Harvard? I have driven by it but have never ate there.
I have no idea if he is made or not but it wouldn't surprise me. His pizzeria is there and I believe one in South Beloit as well.
Worth noting that the FBI specified that there was a Sicilian Cosa Nostra ring operating around Beloit in that early 90s report that you shared with me. Wonder if this was related to Ocello.
I would assume that the Ocello family was one of the many Sicilians underboss Frank Buscemi brought into Rockford, especially given they were from Burgio.
Seems like a good bet. Someone should go to his pizzeria and ask him if he’s connected to the Burgio Society in Chicago also, lol.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

On that note, looks like the current Burgio Society includes Buscemis and a Bacino. Also note the comment towards the bottom specifically asking about a past connection to Johnston City. 100 years later, and the Agrigentin’ network is alive and well…

cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Joseph DiGirolamo was born February 3, 1891 in Marsala, Sicilyand immigrated through Ellis Island on February 10, 1921 with his destination being his brother Nicolo DiGirloamo’s residence in Detroit, Michigan. By 1925 DiGirolamo was sentenced to five months in prison in Milwaukee for possession of alcohol. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s he was arrested many times for bootlegging in relation to his roadhouse inn near Rockford, “Big Joe’s Place.” FBI described DiGirolamo as a longtime Rockford LCN associate close to many members and in May 1965 he was made a member “for the honor” even though he was too old to participate in LCN business. DiGirolamo died December 15, 1965 in South Beloit, Illinois.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

John J. Domino born September 26, 1899 in Louisiana to Giuseppe Domino and Maria Roppolo of Roccamena, Sicily. By 1921 he was living in Rockford where he started picking up arrests for bootlegging. In 1922 Domino married Calogera Capriola in Rockford. Calogera’s family was from Naples, Italy. Domino picked up many more bootlegging arrests and was sentenced to a term in Leavenworth in the 1930 liquor conspiracy trial. FBI files stated Domino held the position of street gambling boss but was not “tough enough” for the job so in 1959 he moved to Arizona where he died August 13, 1977 in Tucson.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Anthony Donze was born May 14, 1915 in Chicago, Illinois to Salvatore Donze and Michaela Marino from Camporeale, Sicily. Donze was involved in stolen cars and car theft rings early in his career and was a Rockford LCN associate. Donze was a front man and president and stockholder of Terrazino’s Lounge which was owned on paper by his brother-in-law Frank Terrazino but was secretly controlled by Rockford consigliere Joe Zito. Donze died December 8, 2000 in Rockford, Illinois.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Nunzio “Dell” Ingrassia was born November 2, 1893 in New Orleans, Louisiana to Salvatore and Carmella Ingrassia of Camporeale, Sicily. In 1905 Ingrassia moved to Rockford with his family and on October 1, 1916 he married Rose St. Angel there. In 1920 he founded Ingrassia Furniture Store but the lure of big money in bootlegging drew him in as well as his brothers Frank and Theodore. Ingrassia was arrested and sent to prison in 1932 for having a huge alcohol still near Janesville, Wisconsin. After serving sic months in prison, Ingrassia was elected to the Rockford City Council as alderman where he served 14 years in that capacity. FBI files reported that Ingrassia was noted as being “close to Rockford LCN members” and was a valuable associate. Ingrassia died August 23, 1980 in Rockford, Illinois.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Leaves jail and gets elected alderman. Wonder what the story was behind that?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:16 am Leaves jail and gets elected alderman. Wonder what the story was behind that?
Yeah that kind of floored me when I found that in my research. Makes me think the hierarchy of the LCN got him placed there to work for them especially voting on liquor issues and such over the years.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:16 am Leaves jail and gets elected alderman. Wonder what the story was behind that?
In Chicago it’s usually the other way around, lol.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

James F. Sansone born July 6, 1912 in St. Louis, Missouri to Francesco Sansone and Benedetta Centorbi from Mazzara del Vallo, Sicily. In 1925 the family moved to Rockford from St. Louis and James involved himself in gambling with the Rockford LCN and he took many arrests on these charges. For years Sansone operated a pawn shop on South Main Street and it was alleged many stolen goods from the Rockford LCN ended up getting fenced through his business. Sansone was questioned in the double murder of gamblers Joseph Greco and Donald Burton in 1959 and he took one final arrest for being the keeper of a gambling house in August 1971. Sansone died May 8, 1990 in Rockford, Illinois.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Pietro SanFilippo born September 10, 1885 in Renella, Italy to unknown parents and by 1920 he was living in Rockford when he was arrested for theft in Madison, Wisconsin. Throughout the 1920s SanFilippo was arrested numerous times on alcohol charges. SanFilippo was noted in the 1930 Wickersham Report as having liquor interests in Green County, Wisconsin and Chicago and he was said to be related to Charles SanFilippo, head of the Unione Siciliano in Chicago. In 1931 SanFilippo was sentenced to a year and a day in Leavenworth regarding the huge liquor conspiracy trial in Rockford. After serving his term, SanFilippo moved to California in 1934 and died February 3, 1958 in San Diego.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Phillip Leo Pace was born August 26, 1891 in Gibellina, Sicily to Mr. and Mrs. Sebastiano Pace and he came to Rockford from New Orleans, Louisiana in 1910. In July 1929 his Milano Café was closed temporarily for liquor violations. Bootlegger Gaetano DiSalvo had been murdered outside the business the previous September. Later FBI files stated Pace ran “a joint for the outfit in Rockford called The Encore.” Pace had taken a few gambling arrests in the 1950s, one with Donald Burton, who was found murdered with Joe Greco in May 1959. Pace died October 10, 1959 in Rockford, Illinois.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:02 pm Pietro SanFilippo born September 10, 1885 in Renella, Italy to unknown parents and by 1920 he was living in Rockford when he was arrested for theft in Madison, Wisconsin. Throughout the 1920s SanFilippo was arrested numerous times on alcohol charges. SanFilippo was noted in the 1930 Wickersham Report as having liquor interests in Green County, Wisconsin and Chicago and he was said to be related to Charles SanFilippo, head of the Unione Siciliano in Chicago. In 1931 SanFilippo was sentenced to a year and a day in Leavenworth regarding the huge liquor conspiracy trial in Rockford. After serving his term, SanFilippo moved to California in 1934 and died February 3, 1958 in San Diego.
Renella in Tuscany?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Very interesting to see guys with Trapanese ancestry from Marsala, Mazara, Gibellina associated with Rockford, given that these areas were well represented in Chicago. We see some of the same paesi being represented in both, with the apparent exception of the Bagheria-Termini-Ciminna "triangle" that was so influential in not just Chicago but also Milwaukee.