Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:18 pm Didn't realize Domingo's brother was killed at Spilotro's place. Amazing.

The John Montana born 1890 is the one I found. Can't remember where I found his name originally but he was apparently connected to Chicago mafia circles in some way though this would have come from someone else's info.

What does that godfather's name actually say? It does almost look like a misspelling of Maranzano but can't make it out.
Let me know if you come across any info for Giovanni Montana. John Mauro Montana was a notorious figure so his name was all in the papers. When I tried searching for the other John Montana, I didn’t see anything accept a young guy in the 40s named Peter John Montana who was part of a bank robbery crew. I suspect that he may have been Giovanni Montana’s son, but I’m not positive.

Regarding the DiMarias’ cumpare, I’m not sure what it was. I tried looking for similar names but nothing jumped out at me. Lol, maybe it actually was Maranzano?? Is it 100% confirmed that he arrived in the US in the 1920s? Is it possible that he had been in the US earlier and went back to Sicily (as wasn’t uncommon). It’s late and I need to calm down over here.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:39 pm A lot of Bagheresi lived on Townsend and Milton streets.
Yes, which may also be part of the context for Aiello. The Castellammaresi weren’t numerous in Chicago — they’re never mentioned in any older accounts of Italian Chicago and they don’t seem to have ever had a società or anything like that. So they may have had much less of a compaesani network there to rely on. Just from the few that I’ve looked into, they seem to have stayed in Little Sicily and they don’t appear to have been much connected to the other Trapanesi down on Taylor St. So maybe they developed close ties to the numerous Bagheresi in their immediate neighborhood. Given some of the names from CDG that arrived in Chicago, it’s a good possibility that some were connected to the mafia back home, but in Chicago they probably fell in with the Bagheresi or others.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Bonanno considered Aiello a key ally of the Castellammarese like Magaddino and Milazzo so I'd bet any of them in Chicago fell in with him. I'd bet Joe Profaci was part of the Bagheresi crowd during his time in Chicago too given Villabate was heavily allied with Bagheria historically.

So that baptism was in the US? Misread. Probably not Maranzano though there are questions if Maranzano spent time in the US prior to his "official" entry (which itself was clandestine). His wife and children visited the US before Maranzano permanently settled here and listed their arrival contact as her husband but it lists a different first initial, not S or T. It's definitely his wife though and she did list "husband".

He may well have scouted the US before he permanently settled here and the 1910s are a mystery period as to what all he was up to -- he was building wealth and influence during that time and as we see later he was very close to Buster Domingo out of nowhere. It's only recently that Informer confirmed he had that Ontario farm where he lived for a time. Maranzano did gravitate toward Chicago after the war as that's where Capone hosted the big meeting for him.

He may have had a deeper connection to the Domingos than we know. The Chicago Domingos were related to Salvatore Saracino, who was related to some Minores. Maranzano's wife was a Minore, sister of the Trapani boss.

Doubt it's him on the baptism but would be very interesting if he traveled to the US or Chicago earlier. Wouldn't put anything past him -- for such a big personality he was a sneaky MFer.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 pm John Anthony Fecarotta was born 1928 in Chicago to Antonino Ficarotta of Palermo and Rosemarie Fillicetti, born in Melrose Park. Rosemarie's parents were probably from Cosenza province, Calabria.
John Anthony Fecarotta's parents were Antonino Fecarotta, born somewhere in Palermo ~1900, and Rosemarie Fillicetti, born 1909 in Melrose Park and baptized at Our Lady of Mt Carmel Parish. Tony Fecarotta's parents, who also emigrated to Chicago, were Giovanni Fecarotta and Maria Palazzolo Mortillaro. Records state that they were from Palermo. The Fecarotta surname today is strongly concentred in Palermo Citta, but there were other Fecarotta/Ficarottas in Chicago from Marineo, which may be a good bet here, as there were a good number of Marinesi in Chicago. Other Mortillaros in Chicago just have "Palermo" on their documents that I've seen. In 1917, the Fecarottas lived at 1117 W Grand Ave. In later years, the storefront of this building was Rose's Sandwich shop, owned by Sam "Jelly" Cozzo and the site of the infamous slaying of Dick Cain. The address is also a few doors west of where Vincenzo Benevento's store was located at Grand and Aberdeen. In later years, the Fecarotta's relocated further south on Millard in the Homan Square neighborhood to the west of the Taylor St Patch.

Rosemarie Fillicetti's father was Giovanni Felicetti (original spelling) of Rende, Cosenza, Calabria and Maddalena Sammarco of Napoli.

As a kid, Big John Fecarotta lived at Hermitage and Fillmore in the Taylor St Patch.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:44 am Bonanno considered Aiello a key ally of the Castellammarese like Magaddino and Milazzo so I'd bet any of them in Chicago fell in with him. I'd bet Joe Profaci was part of the Bagheresi crowd during his time in Chicago too given Villabate was heavily allied with Bagheria historically.

So that baptism was in the US? Misread. Probably not Maranzano though there are questions if Maranzano spent time in the US prior to his "official" entry (which itself was clandestine). His wife and children visited the US before Maranzano permanently settled here and listed their arrival contact as her husband but it lists a different first initial, not S or T. It's definitely his wife though and she did list "husband".

He may well have scouted the US before he permanently settled here and the 1910s are a mystery period as to what all he was up to -- he was building wealth and influence during that time and as we see later he was very close to Buster Domingo out of nowhere. It's only recently that Informer confirmed he had that Ontario farm where he lived for a time. Maranzano did gravitate toward Chicago after the war as that's where Capone hosted the big meeting for him.

He may have had a deeper connection to the Domingos than we know. The Chicago Domingos were related to Salvatore Saracino, who was related to some Minores. Maranzano's wife was a Minore, sister of the Trapani boss.

Doubt it's him on the baptism but would be very interesting if he traveled to the US or Chicago earlier. Wouldn't put anything past him -- for such a big personality he was a sneaky MFer.
Yeah, the baptism was at St Phillip Benizi Parish (Little Sicily, not Big Sicily). I note that Maranzano's wife Elisabetta Minore listed her husband as "G. Maranzano" (living at 93 Truxton St near Broadway Junction in Brownsville, BK) when she arrived with the kids in 1923. There was another Salvatore Maranzano who arrived in NYC in 1910, but that guy was a dockworker from Catalafimi who lived on Elizabeth St in Manhattan.

Has anyone identified the Antonio DiMaria whose name appeared in Maranzano's "black book" recovered after his murder? I'm sure that there was an explanation closer to home, but there was an Antonio DiMaria in Chicago, and he may have been from CDG (not positive). In 1990, a Leonardo DiMaria died in suburban Chicago. He was born 1904 in Chicago to Antonio DiMaria and Rosa LaRocca. His wife was an Anna Amodeo (which of course is a major surname in CDG and there were Amodeos from Trapani province in Chicago). Worth noting that when Stefano DiMaria (tony and Frank Domingo's father-in-law) died in Benton Harbor, his father's name was given as "Leo" DiMaria. Could be a link to this Antonio DiMaria, who otherwise I can't find any info on apart from his son Leonardo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

One mystery for me still was the Louis/Louie Viegla/Vieglo who the Chicago and MI papers described as a former bootlegging partner of the Domingos in Benton Harbor who the Domingos claimed was responsible for the car bombing. The closest surname to "Vieglo" that I found was Figlia. There was an extended family named Figlia around Benton Harbor/Berrien County at the time (though I didn't see a Luigi/Louis). One Domenico Figlia married a Salvatrice Butera from Marianopoli, Caltanissetta in 1913 in BH. Unclear where these Figlias were themselves from, but in Chicago there were a number of Figlia/Di Figlias from Mezzojuso, Alimena, and the Bompietro/Locati area. Marianopoli is not far from the last two areas of SE Palermo province, which might be a good clue.

Another question was Tony Domingo's alleged buddy "Ralph Bituta" who was unscathed when Domingo was clipped at Patsy Spilotro's restaurant. Unless that guy was Polish or something, I'm thinking that he was Butitta or something similar.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Vito Mortellaro/Martellaro was born October 10,1890 in Burgio, Sicily to Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Mortellaro/Martellaro and married Maria Ciaccio of Sambuca, Sicily in Rockford on April 29, 1916. He was an early Rockford bootlegger and was named in the 1930 Wickersham Report as such. The report also stated he carried a sheriff’s star and was cozy with law enforcement. Mortellaro died March 24,1982 in Rockford, Illinois.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Anthony DiGiovanni was born April 14,1907 in Diboll, Texas to Giuseppe and Sara DiGiovanni and I suspect they were from Sambuca, Sicily. On October 14,1927 DiGiovanni married Maria Pumilia in Rockford of Sambuca. DiGiovanni was a confirmed made member of the Rockford LCN being involved in bootlegging, gambling and the attempted murder of the Dotz brothers. DiGiovanni died July 22,1958 in a single vehicle car accident just south of Rockford, Illinois.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Philip F. Cannella was born July 8,1914 in Rockford, Illinois to Luca Cannella of Villafranca, Sicily and Nicolina Canova of Roccamena, Sicily. Luca (1877-1951) came to the U.S. in 1903 and settled in Rockford in 1904. Luca married Nicolina in Rockford in 1906. Nicolina was the daughter of Filippo and Margherita Canova. On June 7,1942 Phil Cannella married Concetta Saladino. Concetta was the daughter of Giorgio Saladino and Leona Napoli of Roccamena, Sicily. Giorgio was a made member of the Rockford LCN and was perhaps an early capo. Giorgio was also the sponsor for Phil who was made a member in the 1950s.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:33 pm One mystery for me still was the Louis/Louie Viegla/Vieglo who the Chicago and MI papers described as a former bootlegging partner of the Domingos in Benton Harbor who the Domingos claimed was responsible for the car bombing. The closest surname to "Vieglo" that I found was Figlia. There was an extended family named Figlia around Benton Harbor/Berrien County at the time (though I didn't see a Luigi/Louis). One Domenico Figlia married a Salvatrice Butera from Marianopoli, Caltanissetta in 1913 in BH. Unclear where these Figlias were themselves from, but in Chicago there were a number of Figlia/Di Figlias from Mezzojuso, Alimena, and the Bompietro/Locati area. Marianopoli is not far from the last two areas of SE Palermo province, which might be a good clue.

Another question was Tony Domingo's alleged buddy "Ralph Bituta" who was unscathed when Domingo was clipped at Patsy Spilotro's restaurant. Unless that guy was Polish or something, I'm thinking that he was Butitta or something similar.
The Michigan papers give an address of Paw Paw Avenue and Miller Street. This correlates with Domenico Figlia, who was a grocer. So you found the correct person. And the garbled name on his World War I draft card reads closest to Mezzoiuso.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:49 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:33 pm One mystery for me still was the Louis/Louie Viegla/Vieglo who the Chicago and MI papers described as a former bootlegging partner of the Domingos in Benton Harbor who the Domingos claimed was responsible for the car bombing. The closest surname to "Vieglo" that I found was Figlia. There was an extended family named Figlia around Benton Harbor/Berrien County at the time (though I didn't see a Luigi/Louis). One Domenico Figlia married a Salvatrice Butera from Marianopoli, Caltanissetta in 1913 in BH. Unclear where these Figlias were themselves from, but in Chicago there were a number of Figlia/Di Figlias from Mezzojuso, Alimena, and the Bompietro/Locati area. Marianopoli is not far from the last two areas of SE Palermo province, which might be a good clue.

The Michigan papers give an address of Paw Paw Avenue and Miller Street. This correlates with Domenico Figlia, who was a grocer. So you found the correct person. And the garbled name on his World War I draft card reads closest to Mezzoiuso.
Thanks for the further info. Probably related to the Mezzojuso Figlias in Chicago, as it’s not a very common surname.

Any clues about “Ralph Bituta”? I looked for records for a Raffaele Butitta and similar variations but didn’t see anything. Given that Figlia’s wife was a Butera, maybe that could have even been it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:15 am Vito Mortellaro/Martellaro was born October 10,1890 in Burgio, Sicily to Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Mortellaro/Martellaro and married Maria Ciaccio of Sambuca, Sicily in Rockford on April 29, 1916. He was an early Rockford bootlegger and was named in the 1930 Wickersham Report as such. The report also stated he carried a sheriff’s star and was cozy with law enforcement. Mortellaro died March 24,1982 in Rockford, Illinois.
Thanks for these, again. Very interesting to see all these Rockford guys from other parts of Agrigento apart from Aragona, especially considering that Burgio, Sambuca, and Villafranca all had many migrants in Chicago. John Fecarotta’s paternal grandmother was a Mortillaro, but it seems that she was from Palermo province.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

List I put together (still working on it) of significant Chicago politicians connected with the Outfit in all its stages. Further suggestions and corrections appreciated.

ADDUCI, James John (December 1, 1894-April 21, 1976): Illinois state representative and Outfit supporter – and possible member. He was born Vincenzo Adduci in Chicago to Carmine Adduci and his wife Carmella Chiaro. The Adducis and Chiaros were from Alessandria del Carretto in Cosenza, Calabria. Carmino (Carmine) Adduci came to America with his parents Vincenzo Adduci and Angela Napoli in 1887 and married Carmella Chiaro in Chicago on February 28, 1889. In 1900 the Adducis lived at 150 West Polk Street, near Matteo Granata. Ten years later they lived at 621 Law Avenue; Carmine was a street laborer, his wife a grocer, and fifteen-year-old James was a photographer. In June 1917, James Adduci was working as a laborer in Dennison, Ohio, and was helping to support his parents. Adduci served in World War I, enlisting on November 16, 1917. He married Lillian Costello in Chicago on September 11, 1919. In 1920 the young couple lived at 1265 Oregon Avenue; at the time James Adduci was working in a tailor shop and was a political lieutenant of “Diamond Joe” Esposito.
In 1929 Adduci ran, and lost, in the election for alderman of the 27th Ward and in 1930 the Adducis were living at 902 Ashland Boulevard. He was considered the political boss in the area around the Hull House. In his testimony before the Kefauver Committee he said that he was superintendent of telephones and telegraphs under Mayor Thompson and was an inspector for the sanitary district for about ten years.
In the early 1930s he was known as “The Deuce”and charged with running a policy game with Willie Bioff. Adduci was also said to have been a lieutenant of and the closest aid to “Dago” Lawrence Mangano. Adduci explained that when he was a precinct captain Mangano had a gambling house in his district and he “used to give me a little finances [sic] to help me finance my precinct.” He added that he knew Mangano since he was a boy. He very well may have been a made member of the Grand Avenue Street Crew headed by Jack McGurn and Tony Accardo. Before he was elected to office he had been arrested eighteen times, including for kidnapping and suspicion of murder.
Adduci served in the Illinois state legislature from 1934 to 1952 as part of the West Side Bloc that frustrated state Republicans because of their willingness to side with Democrats and their almost constant opposition to anti-crime bills. When confronted about his lack of support for tough anti-crime bills he said that “I am just against them, that is all…my conscience made me be against them.” Adduci explained that “a lot of our young fellows [in his district] got in a lot of little troubles…I don’t like that kind of legislation.” He told Chief Investigator Harold G. Robinson that he never even reads the bills.
Representative Adduci’s opponents were often threatened or worse. His opponent for the 1934 primary, Albert Mancin, was threatened by gunmen and dropped out after he was warned his daughter would be kidnapped if he did not. Another opponent, John Bolton, was murdered in 1936. Challenger Scott Vitell was beaten by a baseball bat wielded by Adduci’s nephew Joseph Mondo. Undetered, Vitell campaigned from an armored car but lost anyway. Mondo was killed a few months later. William John Granata, brother of Representative Peter Granata, ran against Adduci three times and was murdered in front of his home on October 8, 1948.
He did not seek reelection in 1953 because he was indicted for receiving checks for $5212 written out to “James Addison.” He was acquitted by a jury and was reelected in 1954 and retired in 1956 after redistricting changed his district boundaries. Eleven years later he moved to Florida. He died in New Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida. One of his daughters, Carmella, married a Serritella.

COUGHLIN, John Joseph (Aug 15, 1860, Chicago-Nov 11, 1938, Chicago). Democrat. Known as “Bathhouse John.” 1st Ward alderman from 1892-1938 (his death). He was born to Michael Coughlin, a native of County Roscommon, Ireland, and Johanna Hanley. His ward included the notorious Levee district, home to Vincenzo “Big Jim” Colosimo.

D’ARCO, John A. Jr. (Oct 19, 1944, Chicago-). Son of John D’Arco, Sr. Democrat. Illinois House of Representatives from 1973-1977 and Illinois State Senate from 1977-1992. Convicted in Operation GAMBAT.

D’ARCO, John Sr. (Mar 27, 1912, Chicago-Oct 27, 1994). Son of Alfonzo D’Arco and Anna D’Arco, both of Salerno . Wife: Antionette Briatta, sister of Gus Alex underling Louis Briatta. Democrat. Illinois House of Representatives from 1945-1952. 1st Ward Alderman 1952-1963, First Ward Democratic Committeeman, 1952-1992. Per FBI was a made member of the Chicago Outfit. Was investigated for attempting to fix the murder trial of Harry Aleman.

DELEO, James A. (Aug 10, 1951-). Democrat. Was an Illinois state representative and then a state senator, 1993-2010.

DENEEN, Charles Samuel (May 4, 1863, Edwardsville, IL-Feb 5, 1940, Chicago). Republican. House of Representatives, 1892-1894; Governor of Illinois, 1905-1913; United States Senator, 1925-1931. Supported by Giuseppe “Diamond Joe” Esposito. In 1928 was part of the reform ticket against Mayor William HaleThompson. Thompson wanted lax enforcement of Prohibition and Deneen wanted strict enforcement.

FOSCO, Peter. Democrat. County Commissioner and ward committeeman of the 20th Ward in 1940s. Lived at 1118 S. Ashland Blvd, Chicago (1946).

GIROLAMI, Anthony Gregory. (Feb 11, 1921, Chicago-Aug 23, 2013, Ponce Inlet, FL). Son of Charles Girolami and Elina (Lina) Nutini, both of Lucca, Toscana (Tuscany). Wife: Vivian Kubiak. Democrat. 28th Ward alderman, 1959-1961; Clerk of the Probate Court of Cook County, 1961-1986, 28th Ward committeeman, 1960s-1970s.

GRANADY, Octavius C. (Mar 1, 1872, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands-Apr 10, 1928, Chicago). Republican. Ran for committeeman of the 20th Ward, but was chased in his car and murdered. Suspects included Jack McGurn, Raymond Dote, Frank Somerio, John Armando and Louis Clementi.

GRANATA, Peter Charles (Oct 28, 1898, Chicago-Sep 29, 1973, Chicago). Son of Francesco (Frank) Granata of Marano Marchesato, Cosenza, Calabria, and Rosina Cairo. Republican. Was member of the U.S. House of Representatives for 8th District from Mar 4, 1931-Apr 5, 1932. He lost his seat after Congress declared that Stanley H. Kunz had lost against Granata due to being denied thousands of ballots. Member of the Illinois House of Representatives, 1933-1973.

KENNA, Michael (Aug 20, 1857, Chicago-Oct 9, 1946, Chicago). Democrat. Born to John Kenna and Catherine Ferrel, both immigrants from County Cork, Ireland. 1st Ward alderman, 1897-1923, sharing power with John Coughlin. 1st Ward alderman 1939-1943. Member of the Cook County Democratic Party Central Committee, 1893-1944.

LIBONATI, Roland Victor (Dec 29, 1897, Chicago-May 30, 1991, Chicago). Democrat. Son of Ernest Libonati and Flora Pellettieri, natives of Anzi, Potenza, Basilicata. Was an attorney for Al Capone. Illinois House of Representatives 1930-1934 and 1940-1942; Illinos State Senate, 1942-1947, and U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois 7th District, 1957-1965.

MERLO, John (Sep 9, 1912, Chicago-Aug 9, 1912, Chicago). Democrat. Illinois state senator and 44th Ward Democratic committeeman for 23 years. Seven terms as a state representative, three years as a state senator, and two years as an alderman. Son of Chicago Mafia boss Michele Merlo, native of Sambuca Zabut (Sambuca di Sicilia).

PACELLI, James. Republican was committeeman for 20th Ward in 1940s. Cousin of William V. Pacelli.

PACELLI, William V. (Feb 16, 1891/1893, Chicago-Sep 30, 1942, Chicago). Republican. Son of Vincenzo (James) Pacelli of Ricigliano, Salerno, and Carmella (Rullo) Ciancisulo. Husband of Florence Mead. Lived at 767 W. Taylor Street. Member of Illinois House of Representatives, 1923-1929. Alderman of 20th Ward, 1929-1942. His father was a distant relative of Pope Pius XII (Eugenio Pacelli).

PARILLO, William. 25th Ward committeeman.

PETRONE, Patrick P. (-Jun, 1959, Chicago). Son of Rocco Petrone and Rose. Democrat. Alderman of 28th Ward until 1959 (his death). Formed West Side bloc with John D’Arco, Sr. Cousin of Robert “Happy” Petrone.

PETRONE, Robert AKA Happy (-1954, Chicago). W: Mary Evangelista. Republican. State representative of the 21st senatorial district from 1934-1953. Alderman of the 26th Ward until his death. 26th Ward Republican committeeman, 1936-1954. Lived at 1425 Grand Avenue. Close friend of Tony Accardo.

PISTILLI, Anthony

PORCARO, Joseph Alfonso (Oct 25, 1895, Chicago-Dec, 1975, Elmwood Park, IL). Son of Luigi (Louis) Porcaro and Maria Concetta (Mary) Serafino, both of Rovito, Cosenza, Calabria. W: (1) Sarah Albuso; (2) Lydia. Lived at 2531 W. Superior Street, Chicago (1942). Republican committeeman of 28th Ward, 1932-1968?.

POWERS, John (Feb 15, 1852, Brenor, Kilkenny, Ireland-May 19, 1930, Chicago). Democrat. Popular among his Italian immigrant constituents, who called him “Johnny De Pow.” Alderman of 19th Ward in 1888-1903, Illinois State Senate, 1903, 19th Ward Alderman, 1903-1927. When Mafia boss Anthony D’Andrea ran for alderman against him in 1920, followers of Powers and D’Andrea went to war against each other, even after D’Andrea dropped out.

PRIGNANO, Albert J. (Aug 23, 1891, Chicago-Dec 29, 1935, Chicago). Born to Pasquale Prignano of Terra di Lavoro (later broken up into provinces of Caserta, Latina and Frosinone) or possibly Livorno in Tuscany, and Faustina Laurino. Wife: Gladys F. Beardmore. Democrat. State House of Representatives member of the 17th senatorial district and Democratic committeeman of the 20th Ward, 1934-1935. Cousin of William V. Pacelli. Jack McGurn reportedly supported Prignano, but Outfit leaders Ricca and Nitto wanted him out. He was shot to death on hist doorstep in front of his wife, mother, and 8-year-old son. Angelo Lazzio (Santo Virrusso) was his alleged shooter. Virrusso obtained his car from used car dealer Sam Lapicola, a relative of Vincent Cutaia of 827 Milton Ave. James DeAngelo, who was murdered in 1944, was also allegedly involved. In 1914, “Genana Sorimenti” of 827 Milton was a suspect in the killings of Rosario Dispenza and Anthony Puccio. His cousin Joseph Cutaia was shot and mortally wounded in 1915 while staying with his cousin at 827 Milton. Vincenzo Cutaia was later arrested for bootlegging. Prignano had been a friend of Al Capone, even traveling to Havana with him and Nick Circella. His son Joseph Anthony Prignano later married the sister of Gus Alex.

ROTI, Fred Bruno (Dec 18, 1920, Chicago-Sep 20, 1999, Chicago). Democrat. Son of Bruno Roti and Marianna Bertucci, both of Simbario, Vito Valentia, Calabria. Bruno Roti was an associate of Al Capone and later the caporegime of the 26th Street/Chinatown crew. Fred Roti was an Illinois state senator from 1951-1957 in the 1st District until his district was broken up. In 1968 he replaced Donald Parillo as alderman of the 1st Ward, and served 1968-1993. According to the FBI he was a made member of the Chicago Outfit. Roti was found guiltly of various racketeering charges in 1993 and served 3 years in prison.

SERRITELLA, Daniel. Anthony (Aug 29, 1897-Oct 1967, Chicago). Son of Vincenzo (James) Serritella of Ricigliano, Salerno, Campania, and Angela Pacelli; W: Rose Indelli. City sealer, 1st Ward Republican committeeman, and a state senator. Cousin of William V. Pacelli. Close to Al Capone. According to Fred Goetz, Serritella and his cousin William Pacelli were in a meeting planning the St. Valentine’s Day massacre.

TAGLIA, Joseph Edward (Jun 1, 1900, Chicago-Jun 1, 1957, Berrien Springs, MI) Son of Paul A. Taglia and Rose D’Angelo. W: Josephine. Republican. Lived at 2338 Roosevelt Road. Republican committeeman.

VACCO, Carmen (Dec 6, 1884, Brussels, Belgium-Nov 7, 1940, Chicago). Born to Luigi and Carmela (Gualano) Vacco, natives of San Vincenzo, Livorno, Tuscany. W: Ida Martigani. Democrat. Suspected of shaking and holding hand of Dean O’Banion before he was killed. Close associate of Al Capone. Was city sealer, 1923-1927. Succeeded Angelo Prignano in 1935 as ward committeeman of the 20th Ward until his death, and state representative from the 17th senatorial district.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Returning to the Chinatown guys.

Jimmy Cordovano was born Graziano Cordovano in 1921 in Chicago to Filippo Cordovano and Giuseppina Del Buono of Nicosia, Enna (formerly Caltanissetta province). Fillipo Cordovano was born 1879 in Nicosia to Mariano Cordovano and Caterina Rizzo. He arrived in Chicago in 1909 and in 1910 was living with his brother Nicola and compaesani on 22nd Pl and Wentworth in Chinatown. Giuseppina joined him in Chicago afterwards. In 1930, the Cordovanos lived at 28th St and Normal in Bridgeport. Jimmy Cordovano was involved in drug trafficking for years. He was arrested n the 1950s for narcotics trafficking and after Cordovano was made her was busted again for narcotics trafficking along with Sam Garafolo, Joe DiCaro, Jimmy Rancatore, and black Outfit associate Ramza Mack. According to the Tribune and the AUSA in charge of the indictments, the narcotics ring was supplied by LCN connections in NYC. On this note, one 60s FBI file named a Mariano Cordovano (with an address on Second Ave near 107 St in East Harlem) as an associate of Lucchese capo Joseph Rosato. There was a Mariano Cordovano, born 1867 in Nicosia, who lived at 107th and Second Ave in 1916, and another Mariano Cordovano, born 1896, who lived on Faile St in the South Bx in 1942. Cordovano is not a common surname and is strongly concentrated in Nicosia, so I would suspect that the Mariano Cordovano associated with Rosato was very likely a relative of some sort of JImmy Cordovan (Jimmy also had an older brother named Mariano who arrived in NYC in 1920, but he moved to Chicago). There was a major concentration of Nicosiani in the Chinatown neighborhood, where they formed the main bloc of Sicilians alongside the Termitani. For decades, Jimmy Cordovano and his wife Rose operated the RC Cartage Co, whose trucks were contracted with the City of Chicago from 1959 on (one can imagine that the truck fleet came in handy when it came to interstate narcotics trafficking). In 1980, ties to Jimmy Cordovano came back to haunt then IL State Senatore Richard M Daley in his bid for Democratic nomination in the Cook County State's Attorney race against Ed Burke, when Burke accused Daley of mob ties (the irony) as Cordovano was a precinct captain under Daley who was also the 11th Ward Democratic Committeeman. Jimmy Cordovano died in 1983, so Richie Daley didn't have to worry about him causing any more problems.

August (1903), Salvatore/Sam (1907), Saverio/Charles Benjamin "Specs" (1912), and Joseph "Spider" (1916) DiCaro were born in Chicago to Francesco Paolo Di Caro and Carolina Spicuzza. Carolina was from Termini, and she married Francesco Paolo there in 1901. On his 1944 naturalization (and several other documents), Francesco Paolo's birthplace was listed as Palermo. On Saverio/Charles' 1912 birth certificate, however, Francesco Paolo was stated to have been born in Caltanissetta. In 1917, the DiCaros lived on 25th Pl between Lowe and Wallace in Chinatown, where they remained for decades. in 1942, Joe "Spider" DiCaro was living the next block over on 25th Pl and stated that he was employed by the Chicago Park District, while Charles "Specs" was living in the family residence on 25th Pl and working for a cartage company. Father Francesco worked also worked as a City employee (public servant and trucking/carting are extremely common job descriptions for guys connected to the Chinatown crew). August and Joe DiCaro were both involved with Cordovano in narcotics operations. Specs DiCaro died in 2011 while Spider DiCaro died in 1986. August DiCaro died back in 1977.

Joseph Frank "Shorty" LaMantia was born in 1934 in Chicago Joseph LaMantia and Antonia "Antoinette" Marano. Joseph Sr was born in Pittsburgh in 1904 to Antonino La Mantia and Michela "Margaret" Scaletta of Termini; the family resettled in Chicago around 1910. Antonia was born in 1906 in Ricigliano, Salerno, Campania, and emigrated to Chicago with her parents Giuseppe Marano and Rosa Marzano. Both families lived in the Bridgeport/Chinatown neighborhood, where many paesani from Termini and Ricigliano settled. On his WW2 draft card, Joseph LaMantia Sr stated that he was working for City of Chicago (Streets and San) under 1st Ward superintendent Mike Madigan (yes THAT Mike Madigan: the man, the myth, the legend. After decades of corruption and his longtime reign as IL House Speaker, Madigan is now finally facing Federal racketeering charges for wide-ranging extortion and intimidation for personal gain).

Shorty LaMantia married Bertha Versetto, who was born in Chicago in 1933. Worth noting that her father's family was from the comune of Sorbo San Basile, Catanzaro, Calabria, where 1980s Chicago Calabresi zips the Infelise brothers (Francesco, Tullio, and Rosario) and their apparent cousin Aldo Fratto were from. These guys were operating around Bridgeport (almost certainly as narcotics traffickers tied to powerful 'Ndrangheta clans in the Taverna/Sorbo San Basile/San Pietro Magisano area of Catanzaro), hence Francesco Infelise's nickname "Southside Frankie". Southside Outfit associate Jerry Scalise also has ancestry from Sorbo San Basile.

In 1979, Shorty and Bertha's son Rocky LaMantia murdered his girlfriend, Martha DiCaro, in the LaMantia home in Bridgeport. Rocky was acquitted of the murder by flamboyantly corrupt Cook County Judge Thomas J Maloney, who was indicted in 1991 for Federal racketeering charges related to fixing cases following intense Federal investigation of corruption in the Cook County court system during Operations Greylord and Gambat. Martha DiCaro was the granddaughter of Charles "Specs" DiCaro. Shorty LaMantia's daughter Denise "Neicy" LaMantia is married to Outfit associate and joker poker magnate Casey Szaflarski, while daughter Sarah Ann married Joseph Caruso (either Toots Caruso's brother or cousin). Casey and Denise's daughter Brittany Szaflarski of course married model citizen Frank Caruso III in 2010. Shorty and Bertha's adopted son was Aldo "Junior" Piscitelli, who was indicted in several juice loan and gambling cases under the Chinatown crew (I have seen it alleged that Aldo was made, but don't know if that's just rumor). Not sure who his birth parents were, but the Piscitellis in Chicago were from Acerra, Napoli, while there were also Piscietellos from Ciminna. The numerous crimes, City jobs, and trucking-related shenanigans surrounding the intertwined LaMantia, Caruso, and Roti families are far beyond the scope of this post. Shorty LaMantia died in 2002, while Aldo died in 2013 and Rocky LaMantia in 2017.

Richard Anthony "Richie Cat" Catezone was born in Chicago in 1936 to Giovanni Catizone of Vincolise, Catanzaro and Teresa Senese of San Pietro Magisano, Catanzaro. These two comuni closely neighbor Sorbo San Basile and Taverna. In 1940 the Catizones lived at 28th and Wells on the same block where the LaMantias were living at that time. In 1989, Richie Cat was charged with having been the guy who was placing bets for Pete Rose to Donald Angelini. Richie Cat died in 2010

Joseph "Popeye" Pacella was born Giuseppe Pacella in 1924 in Chicago to Antonio Pacella of Balvano, Potezna, Basilicata, and Maria Marzano of Ricigliano, Salerno. Though they are politically in different regions, Balvano and Ricigliano directly border each other and the Pacelli/Pacella surname is closely tied to Ricigliano. In 1930, the Pacellas lived on 24th Pl at Wentworth in Chinatown, on a block full of Pacellis, Marzanos, Serritellas, Tortorellis, and Iacullos from Ricigliano. The LaPietras (Messinesi, though) also lived on this block. Popeye's kid brother William "Billy" Pacella was born in 1941. Billy's Pacella Trucking Co was one of a number of Outfit-associated trucking companies that won City contracts in the infamous Hired Truck Program scandal. Billy was also the guy that Cinespace Chicago Film Studio head Alex Pissios was allegedly into for $70,000 in gambling debts (Pissios also owed Vincent Del Giudice, recently famous for heading a major sportsbook operation in the suburbs, a large debt). Popeye Pacella died in 2014.

Also worth noting that Genovese capo Louis "Louie Domes" Pacella was born in East Harlem in 1921 to Antonio Pacella and Maria LaMonico. From the info I was able to find, Antonio Pacella was born in 1890 in Potenza province. In Potenza, the Pacella surname is strongly concentrated in the area around Balvano and nearby Muro Lucano (where a number of Outfit guys had ancestry from, such as Cerone and Capezio).

Anthony "Pupi" Maenza was born in 1917 in Chicago to Francesco Maenza/Majenza and Maria Giunta of Nicosia. In 1920, the Maenzas lived on 26th and Shields and later lived at 24th and Wentworth just around the corner from the LaPietras and Pacellas. In 1946, Pupi Maenza was charged with robbing and beating a blind man to death but the charges were dropped in a mistrial. Maenza was the suspect of another fatal beating of a guy in New Orleans in 1950, along with Joe Bagnola and Leo Rugendorf. A fair-minded Chicago judge saw to it that Maenza wasn't extradited to Louisiana to face charges when the DBI arrested him, however. In 1954, Maenza beat an off-duty cop to death at a Southside nightclub (cue Mr. Furley: "these hands are deadly weapons!") and was indicted for murder by a grand-jury. Then in 1955, the FBI arrested Maenza again for the NOLA murder, but the only witness then refused to testify "for fear of my life" and Maenza was only convicted in Federal court for fleeing the charges. Shockingly, Maenza was acquitted in 1958 for the cop murder by a Cook County judge. Pupi Maenza died in 1986.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Great coverage of Chinatown. Maenza was only 5'5," so he probably used more than just his fists. Maenza allegedly beat the blind man with a brick, but apparently he took a lie detector given by police and passed. He insisted the witness's story wasn't true. Who knows what he and his friend used to beat the cop to death.