Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by B. »

If Chicago's board/committee was anything like a consiglio, "soldiers" could hold a seat and would have stature far greater than the rank-and-file. Just one possibility if he doesn't fit into the known succession yet helped with administrative decisions.

If Bill Bonanno's idea that Giancana went from captain to boss is true (opposed to his other statement), it could also mean Ferraro was already the underboss. We know underboss could carry over under multiple bosses (Dellacroce, maybe Reginelli).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:55 pm Follow up on Pietro Catalanotte. He and his family came from Villafranca, but there were several towns by that name. Could have been from Agrigento or Messina. A couple passengers next to them on the manifest were from Messina as well. It could be a coincidence or paisan from the same province. On the other hand, the similar names in Strongy Ferraro's background could point to a connection. I think we'll find one if it's there.
There were also people from all over Sicily on that boat, of course, and the other person next to them was from Campofelice di Roccella. There were people from Sciacca, as well, and next to the Campofelice person a Galiano from "Villafranca" as well. Galiano is very rare in Messina, and well-represented in Agrigento.

I'm almost certain that they were from Villafranca Sicula, as both the Catalanotto and Sortino surnames are common there (with intermarriages in the 1800s) and in many other Agrigento comuni (Burgio, Ribera, etc). There were also several other Catalanotto families from Villafranca Sicula living in Little Sicily (actually, almost all of the Catalanottos I've seen thus far in Chicago seem to be from Villafranca Sicula, and none from Messina province). One Vincenzo Catalanotto, from VS, was working in 1917 at a shoe factory, and I note that in the 1910 census so was Pietro Catalanotto.

EDIT: Worth adding that the Catalanotto surname is most prevalent in VS of any comune in Agrigento, and seems to almost completely be absent from Messina province (it’s most common ij Agrigento but present also in Palermo and Trapani).

Also, Pietro and Anna Maria's daughter Mariantonia "Margaret" Catalanotto (2 years old when they arrived on that ship) married Giuseppe LoCascio in 1913. This was indeed the same Giuseppe LoCascio who was the brother of Michele Locascio who supposedly killed Pietro Catalanotto, as the marriage document shows that his parents were Carlo LoCascio and Antonina LoVerde.
Last edited by PolackTony on Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Noticed you mentioned a Cuono Colletta who killed one of the Bakes. Gentile said an "Italian-American" member of the Cleveland Family was a vicious killer named Charles "Colletti". When I looked into him I think his true name was Colletta/Coletta or something similar and had mainland heritage -- not sure the town.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

You probably saw this, but when Cuono Colletta came to the US he used the Coletta spelling (that's what I found w/ the Cleveland guy) and he came in April 1905 with a Pasquale Esposito from Acerra (brother of Andrea in Chicago) then quickly returned to Italy and came back again in June 1905 with a Luigi Esposito from Guigliano who was heading to PA. Arrived to his brother both times, so definitely the same guy.

Doesn't seem to be a coincidence he was involved in a shooting at Joe Esposito's tavern later.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:34 am
Antiliar wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:55 pm Follow up on Pietro Catalanotte. He and his family came from Villafranca, but there were several towns by that name. Could have been from Agrigento or Messina. A couple passengers next to them on the manifest were from Messina as well. It could be a coincidence or paisan from the same province. On the other hand, the similar names in Strongy Ferraro's background could point to a connection. I think we'll find one if it's there.
There were also people from all over Sicily on that boat, of course, and the other person next to them was from Campofelice di Roccella. There were people from Sciacca, as well, and next to the Campofelice person a Galiano from "Villafranca" as well. Galiano is very rare in Messina, and well-represented in Agrigento.

I'm almost certain that they were from Villafranca Sicula, as both the Catalanotto and Sortino surnames are common there (with intermarriages in the 1800s) and in many other Agrigento comuni (Burgio, Ribera, etc). There were also several other Catalanotto families from Villafranca Sicula living in Little Sicily (actually, almost all of the Catalanottos I've seen thus far in Chicago seem to be from Villafranca Sicula, and none from Messina province). One Vincenzo Catalanotto, from VS, was working in 1917 at a shoe factory, and I note that in the 1910 census so was Pietro Catalanotto.

EDIT: Worth adding that the Catalanotto surname is most prevalent in VS of any comune in Agrigento, and seems to almost completely be absent from Messina province (it’s most common ij Agrigento but present also in Palermo and Trapani).

Also, Pietro and Anna Maria's daughter Mariantonia "Margaret" Catalanotto (2 years old when they arrived on that ship) married Giuseppe LoCascio in 1913. This was indeed the same Giuseppe LoCascio who was the brother of Michele Locascio who supposedly killed Pietro Catalanotto, as the marriage document shows that his parents were Carlo LoCascio and Antonina LoVerde.
You make a good argument.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:22 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:34 am

You make a good argument.
The only firm info that we have for them is that passenger manifest, and you’re right that alone it’s not enough to conclude VS, so we have to be careful there. After reviewing all of this, I think it’s safe to conclude that they are indeed from VS.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Looked into Barone. Couldn't find anyone in Chicago named Vito Barone who fit but found a Pietro Barone born in "Palermo" in 1884 who died in 1932.

This is the same guy's 1925 naturalization and one of the witnesses is Frank Bakes. Only Frank Bakes I could find is the same one Tony ID'd as Ned's uncle.

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:08 am Looked into Barone. Couldn't find anyone in Chicago named Vito Barone who fit but found a Pietro Barone born in "Palermo" in 1884 who died in 1932.

This is the same guy's 1925 naturalization and one of the witnesses is Frank Bakes. Only Frank Bakes I could find is the same one Tony ID'd as Ned's uncle.

Good find. One thing to note is that at this time this Barone was living just west of the Taylor St Patch, a completely different area than the Near North Side Little Sicily (if it's the same guy, he may have moved by then). Also, I wonder if the 1117 N Racine for Frank Bakes could be a typo, as that address would put him in the heavily Polish Noble Square neighborhood, while 1117 S Racine would put him by Taylor St and right in the area that the rest of the Sbacchi/Bakes family lived.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

1917 article showing the size and importance of the Riciglianesi ("Richies") within Italo-Chicago. State Senator Donatoo/Daniel Serritella's mother was a Pacelli, and his wife Rose was an Indelli/Taglia.

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:40 pm
B. wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:08 am Looked into Barone. Couldn't find anyone in Chicago named Vito Barone who fit but found a Pietro Barone born in "Palermo" in 1884 who died in 1932.

Good find. One thing to note is that at this time this Barone was living just west of the Taylor St Patch, a completely different area than the Near North Side Little Sicily (if it's the same guy, he may have moved by then). Also, I wonder if the 1117 N Racine for Frank Bakes could be a typo, as that address would put him in the heavily Polish Noble Square neighborhood, while 1117 S Racine would put him by Taylor St and right in the area that the rest of the Sbacchi/Bakes family lived.
If "Vietro" Barone was actually named Pietro Barone, a good bet could be the Pietro Barone born 1893 in Sicily. His parents Salvatore Barone and Marianna Scimeca were from Altavilla Milicia, and in 1910 the family lived on Milton in Little Sicily. This guy died in Chicago in 1921.

Catalanotto's "lieutenant" was called "Vietro Barone" in 2 Tribune articles, but then another article from a bit later claimed that "Vito Barone" was the "chieftain" of Little Sicily who had been marked for death after Catalanotto's hit. While 22 was not too young back then to be a mafioso, it may have been too young to be a guy described as a "chieftain" in the neighborhood and a notorious "Black Hander" with a fearsome reputation (allegedly second only to Catalanotto himself) and well known to the police. A later article stated that Michele and Giovanni Catalanotto (the latter murdered in 1916) were charged along with Vito Barone for the murder of Antonina LoCascio; Barone's charges were dropped.

In 1911, a Vito Barone (address on Hobbie St in Little Sicily) and a Vito Ingraffia were arrested for the attempted "Black Hand" shooting of Joseph Sutero. So I'd put Vito Barone as probably born no later than about 1890. Vito Ingraffia may be the Vito Ingraffia born 1880 in Ciminna (died in Chicago in 1940). In 1917, he was a grocer on the Near North Side.

EDIT: The Tribune reported that Vito Barone was living on Hobbie (W 500 block, at Milton) in 1911. I looked through the 1910 census records for that block. There was no Vito Barone living there, but there was a Giuseppe Barone and his wife Antonina. This was the Giuseppe Barone born ~1884 in Ciminna, who married Antonina Passantino LaSpisa, also from Ciminna, in Chicago in 1906. Looks like this guy died 1932 in Chicago.

So, it could be that "Vito Barone" was actually Giuseppe Barone (as Anti has already stated, doesn't seem to be any record for a Vito/Vittorio/Victor Barone/Baroni/Baron that matches this guy). Or at least he was very likely a relative, as Sicilian compaesani tended to cluster in the same blocks and buildings in Little Sicily. Hobbie and Milton is also where the apparent Ciminnese Vito Ingraffia was reported to have been living in 1911.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:49 pm If "Vietro" Barone was actually named Pietro Barone, a good bet could be the Pietro Barone born 1893 in Sicily. His parents Salvatore Barone and Marianna Scimeca were from Altavilla Milicia, and in 1910 the family lived on Milton in Little Sicily. This guy died in Chicago in 1921.

Catalanotto's "lieutenant" was called "Vietro Barone" in 2 Tribune articles, but then another article from a bit later claimed that "Vito Barone" was the "chieftain" of Little Sicily who had been marked for death after Catalanotto's hit. While 22 was not too young back then to be a mafioso, it may have been too young to be a guy described as a "chieftain" in the neighborhood and a notorious "Black Hander" with a fearsome reputation (allegedly second only to Catalanotto himself) and well known to the police. A later article stated that Michele and Giovanni Catalanotto (the latter murdered in 1916) were charged along with Vito Barone for the murder of Antonina LoCascio; Barone's charges were dropped.

In 1911, a Vito Barone (address on Hobbie St in Little Sicily) and a Vito Ingraffia were arrested for the attempted "Black Hand" shooting of Joseph Sutero. So I'd put Vito Barone as probably born no later than about 1890. Vito Ingraffia may be the Vito Ingraffia born 1880 in Ciminna (died in Chicago in 1940). In 1917, he was a grocer on the Near North Side.

EDIT: The Tribune reported that Vito Barone was living on Hobbie (W 500 block, at Milton) in 1911. I looked through the 1910 census records for that block. There was no Vito Barone living there, but there was a Giuseppe Barone and his wife Antonina. This was the Giuseppe Barone born ~1884 in Ciminna, who married Antonina Passantino LaSpisa, also from Ciminna, in Chicago in 1906. Looks like this guy died 1932 in Chicago.

So, it could be that "Vito Barone" was actually Giuseppe Barone (as Anti has already stated, doesn't seem to be any record for a Vito/Vittorio/Victor Barone/Baroni/Baron that matches this guy). Or at least he was very likely a relative, as Sicilian compaesani tended to cluster in the same blocks and buildings in Little Sicily. Hobbie and Milton is also where the apparent Ciminnese Vito Ingraffia was reported to have been living in 1911.
Looks like the Bakes-connected Barone was a red herring, though it's telling that the Sicilian Barones we're finding with mafia connections in Chicago were from Palermo province. Interesting Pietro Barone has the same DOB-DOD years as Giuseppe (1884-1932) but his wife was Maria "Mamie". Ciminna for Vito Barone would fit with the recently deceased boss DiSpenza and other important members. Pietro Barone (connected to the mob or not) being tied to the Bakes, who you said were from Termini, could indicate he was from that region as well.

The LaSpisa name stands out -- Gentile said Salvatore LaSpisa was a mafioso who killed D'Andrea and Merlo orderd LaSpisa's own murder in retaliation. Be interesting if Vito Barone (whether he is Giuseppe or a relation) was a marital relative of Salvatore LaSpisa.

Significant to me too that Pietro Catalanotto was from Villafranca, which is close to Merlo's hometown of Sambuca. That Sambuca/Villafranca/Burgio/Ribera element looks to have been powerful back in the mid-1910s well before Merlo became boss.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Something too is Cavita said families from Villafranca Sicula lived in Rockford and intermarried with local members. He said one family (the Triolos) moved from Rockford to Colorado, where we know the local Family had members from Villafranca and neighboring villages. Phil Bacino's mother was a Triolo from Ribera (as we've talked about he had relatives from Burgio and maybe Lucca Sicula) and one of his criminal associates in Heights/Indiana was Andrew Triolo. Villafranca is a little bit closer to Ribera than even Burgio/Lucca so wouldn't surprise me if there is interrelation there too.

Do you guys have Mike Merlo or his father's immigration manifest? Merlo's naturalization says he came to the US around 1890 and lived in New Orleans before Chicago but I can't find the manifest itself so I don't know if he came with his father Calogero or if Calogero Merlo arrived separate. A Calogero Merlo arrived to New Orleans in 1891 with a bunch of names from that same region of Agrigento but it doesn't list hometowns -- one of them was a Triolo and another was a Miceli like the STL boss who lived in Chicago during the 1920s and came from Burgio.
Last edited by B. on Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

If there is any interest I can do places of origin for Rockford members/associates given their connections and proximity to Chicago.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

cavita wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:40 pm If there is any interest I can do places of origin for Rockford members/associates given their connections and proximity to Chicago.
You know I'm interested.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:40 pm If there is any interest I can do places of origin for Rockford members/associates given their connections and proximity to Chicago.
100%. Either as its own thread or here, whichever you prefer. I'd very much like to learn more about the Rockford origins, both in terms of its own local dynamics as well as potential connections to Chicago and other families.