General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:41 pm Still, I wonder how things looked at the top level post 1994 when both difronzo and Lombardo were around. What are the chances that these 2 met in person to hash things out? They were both very insulated and protective by this point, but I am curious what the risk tolerance was in terms of a meeting. What are the chances Lombardo wanted to or even made a campaign for boss? .
Sit tight, I'm working on some stuff. It may be a while, but I hope to be able to shed some light on this time period sooner, rather than later.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:45 pm
Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:41 pm Still, I wonder how things looked at the top level post 1994 when both difronzo and Lombardo were around. What are the chances that these 2 met in person to hash things out? They were both very insulated and protective by this point, but I am curious what the risk tolerance was in terms of a meeting. What are the chances Lombardo wanted to or even made a campaign for boss? .
Sit tight, I'm working on some stuff. It may be a while, but I hope to be able to shed some light on this time period sooner, rather than later.
Lol, you can't drop a bombshell like that and just expect people to "sit tight", bro.

I'm sure that I speak for everyone here when I say that I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you've been working on.

In regard to Coloboy's question regarding Lombardo. Can't imagine that Lombardo would be anywhere near DiFronzo in person while he was still on parole. Certainly possible that he had someone working as a go-between, though (e.g., Lombardo using Christy Spina, who had no record, as his driver).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:41 pm But think of all the things we’ve dug up just in the last couple years. The zip connections, some plausible first-hand feedback from Antiliars source on the Cicero crew, the gambling busts, and many puzzle pieces put together regarding indictments and arrests over the past five years in the Chicago area that may have gone completely unnoticed as being connected to the outfi, but most likely were.
This stuff too.

If even just some of it is Outfit connected, it's a big deal.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7179
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Some interesting letters that Tony Spano (associate of the Genna brothers) of 821 South Ashland Blvd., received that were confiscated during a 1926 police raid. One sent from Brooklyn, dated Mar 6, 1925, read (both originally in Italian), "Arrived yesterday telegram I beg to come to repair grave moral scandal." - Turriddo

The other later came from Havana, Cuba, and is from April 1925: "Your unjust silence unable to know what to do in front of authority cause of debit hotel waiting and anxious remittance do nor quick be kindly though to reconnoiter telegraph over to resign bad result for destiny." - Distefano

Hard to say if the letters were translated badly or they were communicating in code, or a mix of both. It makes me wonder if Spano had some status in the Chicago Mafia, considering that he was communicating with Mafiosi from other parts of the country and the world. The newspapers reported that he was only a bodyguard of Tony Genna. Antonio "Cavalero" Spano AKA Giuseppe Nerone helped set up the Tony Genna murder and was himself killed in 1926. Like Giovanni Scalise and Alberto Anselmi, he came from Marsala. He was close to the Chicago Heights Mafia as well. He was allegedly killed by Tony Aiello, who was reportedly brought over from Sicily in 1922 by the Gennas. Don't know if Aiello was related to Joseph Aiello.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:08 pm Some interesting letters that Tony Spano (associate of the Genna brothers) of 821 South Ashland Blvd., received that were confiscated during a 1926 police raid. One sent from Brooklyn, dated Mar 6, 1925, read (both originally in Italian), "Arrived yesterday telegram I beg to come to repair grave moral scandal." - Turriddo

The other later came from Havana, Cuba, and is from April 1925: "Your unjust silence unable to know what to do in front of authority cause of debit hotel waiting and anxious remittance do nor quick be kindly though to reconnoiter telegraph over to resign bad result for destiny." - Distefano

Hard to say if the letters were translated badly or they were communicating in code, or a mix of both. It makes me wonder if Spano had some status in the Chicago Mafia, considering that he was communicating with Mafiosi from other parts of the country and the world. The newspapers reported that he was only a bodyguard of Tony Genna. Antonio "Cavalero" Spano AKA Giuseppe Nerone helped set up the Tony Genna murder and was himself killed in 1926. Like Giovanni Scalise and Alberto Anselmi, he came from Marsala. He was close to the Chicago Heights Mafia as well. He was allegedly killed by Tony Aiello, who was reportedly brought over from Sicily in 1922 by the Gennas. Don't know if Aiello was related to Joseph Aiello.
Oh wow...

His alleged nickname, "Il Cavaliero" (the horseman, or the knight), certainly connotes a person of some status.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It's interesting that the 12-year-old boy witness who ID'd Tony Aiello as Spano's killer was the son of John Scardina and his wife Mary Aiello. Could be a relationship there. She came from Bagheria. John Scardina could be the same person as the Giovanni Battista Scardina who was a Black Hander in 1908.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A+

I need to start telling people "bad result for destiny".
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:26 pm It's interesting that the 12-year-old boy witness who ID'd Tony Aiello as Spano's killer was the son of John Scardina and his wife Mary Aiello. Could be a relationship there. She came from Bagheria. John Scardina could be the same person as the Giovanni Battista Scardina who was a Black Hander in 1908.
I think you're on to something. "John Battista Scardina" was born in 1889, per his 1923 naturalization document. This should be the same John Scardina who married Maria "Mary Rose" Aiello in 1912. He died in Elmwood Park in 1961, and his death record (which states his birth year as 1891, while his actual tombstone states 1889) gives his parents as Vincenzo Scardina and Giuseppa Scordato. Those names match a couple from Bagheria living in Buffalo ~1898, who then moved to Chicago, where Vincenzo died in 1931 (wife listed as "Josephine", birthplace as "Palermo", informant John Scardina). Giuseppina died in Chicago in 1934, under "Josephine Scardina", born in Bagheria, parents "John Scarlata" and Grazia Fricano, husband Vincenzo Scardina. In 1920, Vincenzo and Giuseppina lived at Racine and Grand in the Grand Ave Patch, while in 1923 John Battista gave his address near Townsend and Oak in Little Sicily (interestingly, one of the witnesses of his 1923 naturalization was a Henry Kruse. No idea if this person had any connection to Les Kruse).

As noted in the "Gambino family" thread, Giovanni Battista Scardina was alleged to have been an associate of the Moricis, though it seems, in that case, the Bagheria Moricis and not the Termini Moricis.
Last edited by PolackTony on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:33 pm A+

I need to start telling people "bad result for destiny".
Beats telling people that their "unjust silence" is the "cause of debit hotel waiting and anxious remittance".
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:17 pm
Antiliar wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:26 pm It's interesting that the 12-year-old boy witness who ID'd Tony Aiello as Spano's killer was the son of John Scardina and his wife Mary Aiello. Could be a relationship there. She came from Bagheria. John Scardina could be the same person as the Giovanni Battista Scardina who was a Black Hander in 1908.
I think you're on to something. "John Battista Scardina" was born in 1889, per his 1923 naturalization document. This should be the same John Scardina who married Maria "Mary Rose" Aiello in 1912. He died in Elmwood Park in 1961, and his death record (which states his birth year as 1891, while his actual tombstone states 1889) gives his parents as Vincenzo Scardina and Giuseppa Scordato. Those names match a couple from Bagheria living in Buffalo ~1898, who then moved to Chicago, where Vincenzo died in 1931 (wife listed as "Josephine", birthplace as "Palermo", informant John Scardina). Giuseppina died in Chicago in 1934, under "Josephine Scardina", born in Bagheria, parents "John Scarlata" and Grazia Fricano, husband Vincenzo Scardina. In 1920, Vincenzo and Giuseppina lived at Racine and Grand in the Grand Ave Patch, while in 1923 John Battista gave his address near Townsend and Oak in Little Sicily (interestingly, one of the witnesses of his 1923 naturalization was a Henry Kruse. No idea if this person had any connection to Les Kruse).

As noted in the "Gambino family" thread, Giovanni Battista Scardina was alleged to have been an associate of the Moricis, though it seems, in that case, the Bagheria Moricis and not the Termini Moricis.
The problem is that contemporary articles say that Scardina (also spelled Scardini and Scardino) was born around 1882 and was married to a woman named Rose in 1908. There was another Scardina born Jan 1, 1889/1891 who lived on Peoria in 1910 and is listed as single. Maybe the information isn't correct, but it's what was reported.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 am
PolackTony wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:17 pm

The problem is that contemporary articles say that Scardina (also spelled Scardini and Scardino) was born around 1882 and was married to a woman named Rose in 1908. There was another Scardina born Jan 1, 1889/1891 who lived on Peoria in 1910 and is listed as single. Maybe the information isn't correct, but it's what was reported.
FWIW, Maria Aiello was also called "Mary Rose". Could be that these are two different Giovanni Battista Scardinas, or that the info reported was erroneous, but the info above is for the guy who married Maria Aiello.

Now, there is a record for a Giovanni Scardina from Trabia who came to Chicago in 1904, born ~1883. This may be the John Scardina, born ~1882, who in 1920 was living at Grand Ave and Green (where Joe Morici's liquor business was located). At this time, however, this Scardina was listed as single.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Debit Hotel was an early name for the mafia in Chicago. Consigliere wasn't used later because it sounded like concierge, the early term for avugad / crew boss.

An early Bagheria mafia boss circa 1860s was allegedly Giuseppe Scordato, so that name goes back there.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:09 am
FWIW, Maria Aiello was also called "Mary Rose". Could be that these are two different Giovanni Battista Scardinas, or that the info reported was erroneous, but the info above is for the guy who married Maria Aiello.

Now, there is a record for a Giovanni Scardina from Trabia who came to Chicago in 1904, born ~1883. This may be the John Scardina, born ~1882, who in 1920 was living at Grand Ave and Green (where Joe Morici's liquor business was located). At this time, however, this Scardina was listed as single.
This Scardina married Maria Aiello on Oct 10, 1913. The Scardina/Scardini in the papers in 1908 was married to Rose at that time.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:16 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:09 am

This Scardina married Maria Aiello on Oct 10, 1913. The Scardina/Scardini in the papers in 1908 was married to Rose at that time.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that the guy who married Maria Aiello was the guy from Trabia born ~1882, as he was born in 1889.

If the Trabia ~1882 guy is the right Scardina, then it seems by 1920 he was no longer married. I don't have a 1910 record for him.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:10 am The Debit Hotel was an early name for the mafia in Chicago. Consigliere wasn't used later because it sounded like concierge, the early term for avugad / crew boss.
The Debit Hotel apparently was next door to the "Sicilian Quatro", where they had live shows playing "trunk music" every weekend.
B. wrote: An early Bagheria mafia boss circa 1860s was allegedly Giuseppe Scordato, so that name goes back there.
Nice info.