Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by Antiliar »

The FBI had both Vincent and Max Inserro (Inserra) as made members of the Aiuppa crew. If Mariano was also made but mostly off their radar, I wonder if all three brothers were in the same crew.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:25 pm The FBI had both Vincent and Max Inserro (Inserra) as made members of the Aiuppa crew. If Mariano was also made but mostly off their radar, I wonder if all three brothers were in the same crew.
That's right. Max was the younger brother.

Given that he was older than the other two, maybe Mariano was less active by the time the Feds were getting the info and thus they didn't pick him up if he actually was a member. I doubt it escaped their attention that a "truck driver" was living in one of the wealthiest towns in the country.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The informant who said Mariano brought Vincent "into the outfit" doesn't make it clear if he meant membership, but the other report saying he was the "big man" of the Inserros would indicate he was probably made given his brothers were. Vincent was described as savagely abusive to his wife in addition to his underworld reputation -- she would often be seen bruised up by him and had to hide in a taxi cab laying down to get away from him after being brutalized. Said Max was also a scary guy.

Was Imburgio in that crew? He comes up in the files many times, clearly influential. I saw in other reports (not Inserro's file) that Joe's brother Lawrence Imburgio was an important underworld figure in Calumet City.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:33 pm The informant who said Mariano brought Vincent "into the outfit" doesn't make it clear if he meant membership, but the other report saying he was the "big man" of the Inserros would indicate he was probably made given his brothers were. Vincent was described as savagely abusive to his wife in addition to his underworld reputation -- said Max was also a scary guy.

Was Imburgio in that crew? He comes up in the files many times, clearly influential. I saw in other reports (not Inserro's file) that Joe's brother Lawrence Imburgio was an important underworld figure in Calumet City.
Some accounts that I've read paint Vincent Inserra as a very nasty individual and a notorious killer. I mean, this was Chicago, but apparently, even in that context, he had a rep like that. The wife-beating thing is not surprising. From what I gleaned, Giuseppe Inserra and Grazia Perri had a very rocky and unstable relationship. Also, Mariano, Vincent, and Max all had the middle name Joseph, leading me to believe that their father was a megalomaniac.
Last edited by PolackTony on Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He also was seen hitting his son so hard it knocked him off his feet. His temper is described as "animal-like" in reports.

Maybe you guys know this, but numerous reports say Inserro's illegal activities were run by Tony Spilotro when Inserro went to prison in the 1960s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Inserro is also described by different sources as one of the most capable killers in the entire outfit, which was the opinion of the leadership as well. He stabbed a construction worker to death across the street from his house because he thought the guy whistled at his wife. The worker tried to say he whistled at a new car driving by but Inserro stabbed him in the stomach and killed him regardless.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:43 pm Inserro is also described by different sources as one of the most capable killers in the entire outfit, which was the opinion of the leadership as well. He stabbed a construction worker to death across the street from his house because he thought the guy whistled at his wife. The worker tried to say he whistled at a new car driving by but Inserro stabbed him in the stomach and killed him regardless.
He was little dude too, but he was a nasty fucking guy.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:35 pm
B. wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:33 pm The informant who said Mariano brought Vincent "into the outfit" doesn't make it clear if he meant membership, but the other report saying he was the "big man" of the Inserros would indicate he was probably made given his brothers were. Vincent was described as savagely abusive to his wife in addition to his underworld reputation -- said Max was also a scary guy.

Some accounts that I've read paint Vincent Inserra as a very nasty individual and a notorious killer. I mean, this was Chicago, but apparently, even in that context, he had a rep like that. The wife-beating thing is not surprising. From what I gleaned, Giuseppe Inserra and Grazia Perri had a very rocky and unstable relationship. Also, Mariano, Vincent, and Max all had the middle name Joseph, leading me to believe that their father was a megalomaniac.
After sifting through a number of Inserro/Inserra records, I strongly believe that Giuseppe Inserra was from Termini. Looks like the Giuseppe Inserra who I identified earlier as having died in 1944 in MO (who I'm convinced was the guy we're talking about) had an older brother in STL named Luciano Inserra, who was born about 1878 in Termini. Their father seems to have been a Mariano Inserra, and both Luciano and Giuseppe named their first-born sons Mariano, naturally. Another brother was a Vincenzo Inserra, and I note that both Luciano and Giuseppe had sons named Vincent Joseph Inserra. There's a record for a Luciano Inserra born 1878 in Termini arriving at NYC in 1901. His brother Giuseppe was stated as living in NYC at that time. Both of their sons Mariano were then born in 1905 in STL.

As an additional note, Max J Inserra died in 1997 in La Grange, IL. Whether or not he had been active at any recent time, assuming he was a member he should still be listed as such for that period.

EDIT: Just to seal the deal further. On her US naturalization document, Maria Grazia Peri stated that she was born in Caccamo in 1879 and had arrived in the US in 1903. There is a record for a Maria Grazia Peri, born in 1879, arriving in NYC in 1903. She stated that her last place of residence was Termini and that she was bound for her mother-in-law Maria Inserra in Joliet. On her naturalization document, she stated that she married Giuseppe Inserra in Joliet, but I see no records for that, so I think they were probably already married in Termini.

In regard to the Parisi question that B brought up earlier. I don't think that Maria Grazia's surname was an error, as the Peri surname is well-documented in Caccamo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:52 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:35 pm

After sifting through a number of Inserro/Inserra records, I strongly believe that Giuseppe Inserra was from Termini. Looks like the Giuseppe Inserra who I identified earlier as having died in 1944 in MO (who I'm convinced was the guy we're talking about) had an older brother in STL named Luciano Inserra, who was born about 1878 in Termini. Their father seems to have been a Mariano Inserra, and both Luciano and Giuseppe named their first-born sons Mariano, naturally. Another brother was a Vincenzo Inserra, and I note that both Luciano and Giuseppe had sons named Vincent Joseph Inserra. There's a record for a Luciano Inserra born 1878 in Termini arriving at NYC in 1901. His brother Giuseppe was stated as living in NYC at that time. Both of their sons Mariano were then born in 1905 in STL.

As an additional note, Max J Inserra died in 1997 in La Grange, IL. Whether or not he had been active at any recent time, assuming he was a member he should still be listed as such for that period.

EDIT: Just to seal the deal further. On her US naturalization document, Maria Grazia Peri stated that she was born in Caccamo in 1879 and had arrived in the US in 1903. There is a record for a Maria Grazia Peri, born in 1879, arriving in NYC in 1903. She stated that her last place of residence was Termini and that she was bound for her mother-in-law Maria Inserra in Joliet. On her naturalization document, she stated that she married Giuseppe Inserra in Joliet, but I see no records for that, so I think they were probably already married in Termini.

In regard to the Parisi question that B brought up earlier. I don't think that Maria Grazia's surname was an error, as the Peri surname is well-documented in Caccamo.
Additionally, on Luciano Inserra's STL death record in 1936, his father was Mariano Inserra, and mother Marina Lanossa. Both Luciano and Giuseppe Inserra had daughters that they named "Marina" on their birth records, though they later went by Mary/Marie.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:47 pm I have Gerald Covelli as born in 1922 in Chicago to Giuseppe Covelli of Cotronei, Crotone, Calabria (fun fact: the grandfather of Steven Tyler/Tallarico of Aerosmith was also from Cotronei) and Frances Barcia/Borcia, born in Chicago. I believe that Frances Barcia (born 1901) was the sister of Giovanni "John Patrick"/"Johnny" Barcia. She matches the Frances Barcia who was the daughter of Nicola Barcia and Giuseppina Calderone, who were the parents of Giovanni Barcia (born 1896 in Chicago). I believe that Giuseppe Covelli entered at NYC in 1911, bound for Chicago. On his WW1 draft card, Giuseppe Covelli was living on Laflin near Harrison in the Taylor St Patch. In 1919, he married Frances Barcia, and was then naturalized in 1920, at which time he lived on DeKoven. His naturalization was witnessed by "John Borcia", who presumably was his brother-in-law. By 1930, the Covellis were living on Hamlin near Augusta in Humboldt Park, which makes sense as the Barcias were from the Grand Ave and HP neighborhoods. Worth noting that sister Anna Barcia married a Tornabene and lived nearby with brother Nick Barcia (who later married a Grace Oliveri). This area of HP had a large Italian community at the time and was, of course, the province of Cerone and Joe Gagliano, who both also lived in the area (as did many other members and connected guys).

Haven't been able to find a document for Nicola Barcia and Giuseppina Calderone, who were married in Chicago in 1895, with a more granular place of origin beyond Palermo. Possible that they were from Metro Palermo, of course, though a good bet for Barcia is either Marineo or Mezzojuso, while for Giuseppina Calderone possibly Termini.

Johnny Barcia of course later moved to LA, where he died in 1963. Perhaps this accounts for how Gerald Covelli ended up in SoCal, after agreeing to testify for a 1962 case targetting DiVarco and Allegretti for bribing a juror in a whisky truck hijacking case. Covelli's decision to cooperate with LE stemmed from him getting pinched in a 1959 car theft ring case in Houston. Covelli was notoriously executed by a bomb blast in Encino, CA in 1967, and his mother Frances Barcia Covelli died in Orange County, CA in 1973.

Gerald Covelli may not have been directly related to the William "Weezer" Covelli who was affiliated with the Milwaukee Outfit in Kenosha, as that Covelli's family came from Cosenza. Same with the Frank Covelli who was killed in 1946, allegedly by Nick DeJohn, as he was born 1907 in Marano Marchesato, Cosenza province. Worth noting that Luigi Covelli, father of Outfit-controlled Cook County Superior Court judge (and former Lane Tech HS boxing champion who claimed once that he was abducted by Capone in the 1920s) Daniel Anthony Morelli Covelli, was also from Marano Marchesato.
Bam. Found a document for daughter Santina Barcia, born 1907 in Chicago, stating that Nicola Barcia was born in Palazzo Adriano (where Barcia is definitely a surname) and Giuseppina Calderone was born in Termini. So I think we can finally close the file on the Barcia case.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:48 pm Oh interesting -- I saw a report where they said it was Caifano but I know sometimes they were initially incorrect about the IDs of who was on the recording. Makes sense you'd know, thanks for clearing it up.

Do you know who was slated to be killed?
The microphone only picked up the name "Joe" but when it came time to meet the Chicago guys to iron it out, boss Joe Zammuto came, underboss Gaspare Call came and soldier Joe Marinelli was there. It was most likely Joe Marinelli- he had only been made a member for about six years before. Other Rockford members said he was aggravating because he was always getting into unnecessary trouble. I'd love to find the reason why he got crossways with some of the Chicago Heights guys to warrant this meeting.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Salvatore "Sam DiGiovanni was born 1891 in Palazzo Adriano to Giuseppe Di Giovanni and Giuseppina Sulli (died in 1943 in Chicago Heights). In 1921, Sam married Angelina DiTomasso, who was born in the Heights to parents who I believe were Abruzzes'.

Sam DiGiovanni died in 1977 in Chicago Heights, while his younger brother Nicola "Nick" DiGiovanni died in 1979 in Homewood.

Nick DeJohn was born in 1908 in Chicago to Giuseppe Di Giovanni of Palazzo Adriano (too young to be the father of Sam DiGiovanni) and Antonina Lima. Documents for Antonina "Anna" state that she was born in Palermo, but there is a 1903 record of an Antonina Lima entering NYC that states her last residence was Palazzo Adriano. The Lima surname doesn't seem to be common in Palazzo, so she may have been born elsewhere. Nick DeJohn grew up near Diversey and Broadway, on the border of the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods of the Northside.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:53 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 pm Frank Leo Demonte was born 1927 in Chicago to Anthony DeMonte, born in New Orleans, and Margaret DiVarco, born in Chicago. Anthony DeMonte's parents were Francesco De Monte and Maria Diadora Macaluso, both from Palermo province. Maria's family seems to have been from Campofelice di Roccella (also worth noting that her mother was a Nuccio). Margaret DiVarco was the daughter of Andrea Di Varco, brother of Vincenzo DiVarco, thus she was Joey Caesar's 1st cousin. Margaret's mother was Rosa Cutaia, who was also from Campofelice.
Frank Demonte's father I believe was the "Tony Mack" identified by Maniaci as a member of the Northside crew who attended Phil Priola's 1964 wedding in Rockford. Maniaci had initially erroneously identified him as "Tony Maccalucci", but then was later shown a photo of Anthony DeMonte and confirmed that he was "Tony Mack". As Tony DeMonte's mother was a Macaluso, DeMonte used Tony Macaluso as an alias, hence Maniaci misremembering it as "Maccalucci".
Tony DeMonte's FBI file also states that Margaret DiVarco was Joey DiVarco's 1st cousin, and has a copy of DeMonte's birth record from Louisiana.

On his 1943 naturalization document in Chicago, Francesco De Monte (spelled Damante here) stated that he arrived in NOLA 1899/07/04 under the name Francesco Demonte. He stated that both he and his wife Maria were born in Palermo. I'm unable to find a record for any Francesco entering NOLA from 1898 to 1900 who seems to match him, however, so maybe he actually used another name.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Per my info, Frank Orlando was most likely born Francesco Orlando in 1910 in Chicago to Antonino Orlando of Vicari, Palermo province, and Cosima Di Liberto, most likely from Palermo province (some other DiLibertos in Chicago from Brancaccio and other parts of Palermo province). Antonino and Cosima married in Chicago in 1908. Cosima died in 1915, and Antonino subsequently remarried Giuseppina Polizzi of Mezzojuso, Palermo province. The Orlandos lived near Division and Sedgewick on the Near Northside. On his WW2 draft card, Frank Orlando's address was near Willow and Howe in Old Town, and he stated that he was employed by a Sam Catalano. His wife was Catherine Lombardo. Frank Orlando died in Chicago in 1988.

Not a lot of info to go off of for Frank Orlando. While one Tribune article had him with an age consistent with the birth year of 1920, that may have been an error as several other articles gave ages consistent with 1910. I also have no idea whether Frank Orlando was related to the Frank Orlando busted with Paulie Carparelli in 2014.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:09 pm Salvatore "Sam DiGiovanni was born 1891 in Palazzo Adriano to Giuseppe Di Giovanni and Giuseppina Sulli (died in 1943 in Chicago Heights). In 1921, Sam married Angelina DiTomasso, who was born in the Heights to parents who I believe were Abruzzes'.

Sam DiGiovanni died in 1977 in Chicago Heights, while his younger brother Nicola "Nick" DiGiovanni died in 1979 in Homewood.

Nick DeJohn was born in 1908 in Chicago to Giuseppe Di Giovanni of Palazzo Adriano (too young to be the father of Sam DiGiovanni) and Antonina Lima. Documents for Antonina "Anna" state that she was born in Palermo, but there is a 1903 record of an Antonina Lima entering NYC that states her last residence was Palazzo Adriano. The Lima surname doesn't seem to be common in Palazzo, so she may have been born elsewhere. Nick DeJohn grew up near Diversey and Broadway, on the border of the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods of the Northside.
This and everything else is top notch genealogical research.