Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:27 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:13 am
Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:02 am Aiello, Joseph A. AKA “Little Joe” (Nov 8, 1901, Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily-Aug 14, 1979, Chicago, IL) (1924: 2948 W. Harrison St, Chicago; 1942: 2848 N. Melvina Ave., Chicago, IL; 1962: 632 N. Hamlin Ave., Chicago, IL); Father: Orazio Aiello; Wife: Frances. Business Agent for Local 1.
Ha! Very nice. Thanks for following up. I thought that this Joe Aiello might've been the better match, as the other one was born in March of 1901 but then died in Madison. Now, I had the March Joe Aiello's father as Orazio Aiello. Either I made a mistake there, or both of them had fathers named Orazio (with these Aiellos, it wouldn't surprise me). I recall that there's one FBI file that lists "Little Joe" as a member (?), but otherwise I've never seen him mentioned. Wouldn't surprise me if there were several more like him whose affiliation never came to light.

A question I still have is whether the March Joe Aiello was the same "Pizza Joe" Aiello who was a member of the Madison family. Seems like a possibility, given that he moved there at some point around the 1940s (IIRC) and seems to have stayed there until he died. I don't know enough about the Madison Joe Aiello to really say, though.
An FBI file that I have helped. I don't look through them like I should because they're so tedious. I'll probably upload it here tomorrow.
I actually have that same file you just posted but have no idea where it's located, so I looked in yours for Aiello's DOB ;)

"Little Joe" Aiello is the one with the November 8 birth date, although this file had 1902 as the year.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Snakes wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:28 pm
I actually have that same file you just posted but have no idea where it's located, so I looked in yours for Aiello's DOB ;)

"Little Joe" Aiello is the one with the November 8 birth date, although this file had 1902 as the year.
I also used vital records, and most of the earlier records had 1901.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:28 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:27 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:13 am
Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:02 am Aiello, Joseph A. AKA “Little Joe” (Nov 8, 1901, Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily-Aug 14, 1979, Chicago, IL) (1924: 2948 W. Harrison St, Chicago; 1942: 2848 N. Melvina Ave., Chicago, IL; 1962: 632 N. Hamlin Ave., Chicago, IL); Father: Orazio Aiello; Wife: Frances. Business Agent for Local 1.
Ha! Very nice. Thanks for following up. I thought that this Joe Aiello might've been the better match, as the other one was born in March of 1901 but then died in Madison. Now, I had the March Joe Aiello's father as Orazio Aiello. Either I made a mistake there, or both of them had fathers named Orazio (with these Aiellos, it wouldn't surprise me). I recall that there's one FBI file that lists "Little Joe" as a member (?), but otherwise I've never seen him mentioned. Wouldn't surprise me if there were several more like him whose affiliation never came to light.

A question I still have is whether the March Joe Aiello was the same "Pizza Joe" Aiello who was a member of the Madison family. Seems like a possibility, given that he moved there at some point around the 1940s (IIRC) and seems to have stayed there until he died. I don't know enough about the Madison Joe Aiello to really say, though.
An FBI file that I have helped. I don't look through them like I should because they're so tedious. I'll probably upload it here tomorrow.

Any idea if the other Giuseppe Aiello, born March 1901, was the Madison Outfit member?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:53 pm
Any idea if the other Giuseppe Aiello, born March 1901, was the Madison Outfit member?
Yes: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... %20Madison
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:45 pm
Thanks, don't know how I missed that, lol. Definitely him. Looks to me like he was a grocer living on the W/NW side of Chicago and then seems to have relocated to WI in the 40s. So apparently long after the troubles with the Aiello faction in the Chi. Wonder if he was already made under Chicago and then transferred, or if he was made by Madison.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:55 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:45 pm
Thanks, don't know how I missed that, lol. Definitely him. Looks to me like he was a grocer living on the W/NW side of Chicago and then seems to have relocated to WI in the 40s. So apparently long after the troubles with the Aiello faction in the Chi. Wonder if he was already made under Chicago and then transferred, or if he was made by Madison.
I don't have his FBI file, so I don't have that answer. Didn't see that detail in the files in the Mary Farrell site either.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Cross-posting this from the post Antiliar made of a file on the LIU/Hod Carriers Local 1, where Vincent Solano was the president, "Little Joe" Aiello vice-president, and Luigi Cardinale the treasurer.
PolackTony wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:46 pm Another interesting figure here was Luigi Cardinale, who was born in 1884 and died in 1970. In 1920, he was living on W 23 St in Chinatown, which is in the direct vicinity of where some Cardinales/Cardinellas were operating at that time (Sam Cardinella). I also note that per a 1924 passport application for a trip to Sicily, Luigi Cardinale stated that he was naturalized in 1904 in Trinidad, Las Animas County, CO. B has brought up before that a Giuseppe Cardinale was killed by the Scaglia faction of the Pueblo family. I haven't yet been able to confirm where in Sicily Luigi Cardinale was born, as all the documents that I have seen just state Italy. One ancestry family tree has him as born in Falcone, Messina, but I don't trust those family trees unless I can verify documentation. The Colorado connection makes me wonder if he was Agrigentese. Also, I have no idea if he was related to the Cardinales in Gary, who were from Vallelunga, Caltanissetta.

EDIT: I'm leaning towards Agrigento. Luigi Cardinale's wife was Antonina Pinto. Now, there was a Salvatore Cardinale in Chicago, born about 1886 in Agrigento, who was married to a Maria Pinto. Could just be a coincidence, but along with the Colorado connection, I'd bet Luigi Cardinale was from Agrigento province.
The Salvatore Cardinale I note above who was married to a Maria Pinto was recorded as born in 1882 in another document. I have the infamous Sam "Il Diavolo" Cardinale/Cardinella who was executed in 1921 as born 1882 in Bivona, Agrigento, married to Mary Cardinale, father's name Francesco Cardinale. On Luigi Cardinale's death record, his father is recorded as Salvatore Cardinale. But then on his 1924 passport application, he stated that his father's name was Frank Cardinale. Both Luigi and Sam Cardinale named their sons Frank as well. Looking over this, I think it is a possibility that Luigi Cardinale was the brother of Sam Cardinale.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Glad you're making good use of the file. I want to ask if you guys want me to upload the Willie Daddono file. It consists of 20 to 30 subfiles, so it will be a lot to go through (I'm not home right now so can only guesstimate). So let me know.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great find on Cardinale. Between the name and Trinidad tie I would bet the house he was from that area around Burgio/Lucca/Bivona.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm Glad you're making good use of the file. I want to ask if you guys want me to upload the Willie Daddono file. It consists of 20 to 30 subfiles, so it will be a lot to go through (I'm not home right now so can only guesstimate). So let me know.
Sounds like a lot of work on your end to upload them, but if you did I’m sure there will be some good info in them, especially given some of the recent discussion around Daddono. Due to prior commitments it will probably take me some time to really be able to go through them, but I certainly would.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:18 pm Great find on Cardinale. Between the name and Trinidad tie I would bet the house he was from that area around Burgio/Lucca/Bivona.
Thanks, man. Seems like a good bet that he’s from that area. It would be very interesting if the guy who was an official at LIU Local 1 with Vince Solano and Little Joe Aiello in the 60s turns out to have been the brother or other relative of the infamous “Sam Cardinella”, who was one of the most publicly notorious figures of the “Black Hand” era in Chicago. Given his apparent background, I wonder if Luigi Cardinale was a member. Also worth noting that Chinatown crew member and underboss Frank Ferraro (Sortino)’s family was from Agrigento.

Any info on exactly where the Giuseppe Cardinale murdered in CO was from?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Cardinales/Cardinalis of CO were from Burgio.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:18 pm The Cardinales/Cardinalis of CO were from Burgio.
Makes sense. FWIW, today at least, Cardinale is far more common in Bivona as compared to Burgio. Aside from the relative geographic proximity, makes me wonder if the Burgio Cardinales were originally from Bivona.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I don't know about the Cardinales specifically, but there's a lot of interrelation between all of those AG towns for sure.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:30 pm I don't know about the Cardinales specifically, but there's a lot of interrelation between all of those AG towns for sure.
This might be of use: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... =cardinale