General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Frank »

I still say out of all the convictions in that 1980- 90s era the takedown of Marcy and Roti was the most damaging to the Outfit.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Frank wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:10 pm I still say out of all the convictions in that 1980- 90s era the takedown of Marcy and Roti was the most damaging to the Outfit.
Agreed. We pay a lot of attention to Strawman and Good Ship Lollipop, and for good reason. But Greylord/Gambat and Silver Shovel completely transformed the Outfit's ability to conduct business as they had for decades, dismantling the entrenched corruption apparatus in the Cook County court system and destroying the Outfit's grip over the Loop and city government. This was a sea change, not just for the Outfit but in the history of Chicago more broadly. I remember as a kid reading about Roti and Marcy in the Sun-Times when Silver Shovel hit, and beginning to realize just how powerful the mob actually was and how deeply mob corruption had been entrenched in the public institutions.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Snakes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:41 pm A couple of snippets on Vito Marzullo, his LCN membership, and his association with the Outfit:

I've seen the doc where Giancana held a meeting with D'Arco, Marzullo, and a third politician (DiGirolomi? Might have that wrong). Very interesting if 2/3 of the politicians at the meeting were made. Any evidence for the third guy being one too?

Phenomenal research you guys do.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

B. wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:49 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:41 pm A couple of snippets on Vito Marzullo, his LCN membership, and his association with the Outfit:

I've seen the doc where Giancana held a meeting with D'Arco, Marzullo, and a third politician (DiGirolomi? Might have that wrong). Very interesting if 2/3 of the politicians at the meeting were made. Any evidence for the third guy being one too?

Not sure about DiGirolomi (Antiliar may know more about him), but intel shows at least four made politicians in Chicago (D'Arco, Marcy, Roti, and Marzullo).
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:41 pm
Frank wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:10 pm I still say out of all the convictions in that 1980- 90s era the takedown of Marcy and Roti was the most damaging to the Outfit.
Agreed. We pay a lot of attention to Strawman and Good Ship Lollipop, and for good reason. But Greylord/Gambat and Silver Shovel completely transformed the Outfit's ability to conduct business as they had for decades, dismantling the entrenched corruption apparatus in the Cook County court system and destroying the Outfit's grip over the Loop and city government. This was a sea change, not just for the Outfit but in the history of Chicago more broadly. I remember as a kid reading about Roti and Marcy in the Sun-Times when Silver Shovel hit, and beginning to realize just how powerful the mob actually was and how deeply mob corruption had been entrenched in the public institutions.
I think it was a combination of Greylord and the cases that dismantled Outfit leadership. Even without political connections, they may have continued to prosper but with most of their top guys put away and their political clout eliminated, the Outfit's power was dramatically decreased.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:02 pm
PolackTony wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:41 pm
I think it was a combination of Greylord and the cases that dismantled Outfit leadership. Even without political connections, they may have continued to prosper but with most of their top guys put away and their political clout dismantled, the Outfit's power was dramatically decreased.
There was certainly a compounding effect with all of these major cases in a row. One major effect of Greylord, I think, was that it drastically altered their ability to engage in violence. Without the ability to commit violence at their traditional levels, their ability to exact street taxes was going to suffer immensely. If the hierarchy had remained intact, they would've found ways to adapt, I'm sure, but would've had major challenges to deal with. The loss of the 1st ward apparatus would've still been a major blow, in terms of political influence and income. An Outfit without Strawman still would've had to shift their primary bases of operations to the suburbs, of course. Without the admin in disarray, one does wonder if they would've made more guys in the following years than they seem to have done.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Snakes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:59 pm

Not sure about DiGirolomi (Antiliar may know more about him), but intel shows at least four made politicians in Chicago (D'Arco, Marcy, Roti, and Marzullo).
Just wild. Makes Senator Louis Boschetto's Chicago trip more curious given his alleged membership.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:14 pm

Just wild. Makes Senator Louis Boschetto's Chicago trip more curious given his alleged membership.
It goes without saying that all of these were very powerful individuals in terms of clout. D'Arco and Roti 1st Ward Alderman (in effect, shadow mayors), Marcy the 1st Ward Committeeman (essentially the "boss" of the Democratic party's political machine in the center of city power), and Marzullo another of the most powerful Alderman in the city for decades and close personal friend and ally of Richard J Daley (whose son, of course, married the daughter of the Outfit's gambling supervisor for the Loop, Lou Briatta).

A favorite moment of mine was when Marzullo died in 1990 and was honored on the floor of City Hall as one of the great public officials of his era. The eulogy was, naturally, given by Marzullo's amico in arms, the honorable Fed Roti. A truly classic Chicago moment for the history books there.

"I've got the clout and I'm gonna have the clout as long as I live": Vito Marzullo.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I think the "supper club" mentioned was also owned by Springfield LCN member Vito Impastato.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:34 pm I think the "supper club" mentioned was also owned by Springfield LCN member Vito Impastato.
Oh wow. Excellent info. I hadn't even thought of this, but given the number of Outfit-connected Italian politicians who were in Springfield at some point in their careers, I wonder now about connections to the Springfield family.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I haven't seen any documentation on DiGirolami being made, and he's not on any lists like Marzullo. I previously thought that Marzullo was listed in error, but in one list the CI's state he was made (CG T-1, CG T-2, and CG T-5). I guess I need to put aside my presuppositions. So thanks for the correction, Snakes, and glad you were able to update the list. By the way, I'm fairly certain that another politician, James Adduci, was also a made member. He was active before the FBI planted its bugs and developed CIs, so I doubt this is confirmed in any official documents.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:20 pm

I haven't seen any documentation on DiGirolami being made, and he's not on any lists like Marzullo. I previously thought that Marzullo was listed in error, but in one list the CI's state he was made (CG T-1, CG T-2, and CG T-5). I guess I need to put aside my presuppositions. So thanks for the correction, Snakes, and glad you were able to update the list. By the way, I'm fairly certain that another politician, James Adduci, was also a made member. He was active before the FBI planted its bugs and developed CIs, so I doubt this is confirmed in any official documents.
Agreed that Jim Adducci is a good bet.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Maybe you guys have seen this but came across it in Inserro's FBI file.

- 1958 Chicago informant said he knew the organization up until 1958 as "Amafa" (ph -- no doubt "mafia") and said in Chicago it was called "The Family". Said in Chicago they never used "(La) Cosa Nostra" and Giancana didn't like that term and forbade its use. He said "(La) Cosa Nostra" was used on the West Coast, NYC, St. Louis, and Cleveland. Consistently refers to Chicago as "the Family" and "Amafa", doesn't use "outfit" at all. This is further proof the FBI knew the term "Cosa Nostra" before Valachi.

- Said he never heard of the "Amafa" using the term Commission, but knew it was "the Round Table" and said they met in 1930 in Cincinatti or Cleveland (probably thinking of the 1928 Cleveland meeting). He said "the Round Table" sanctioned Tony Accardo as boss but said "contrary to popular belief" Paul Ricca was never in charge of "the Family" and always reported to Accardo even though he said Ricca sometimes "acted with all authority but was never sanctioned." Sounds like he believed Ricca was the acting boss but never official.

- Said Chicago has "capitanos" (ph) under Giancana which are "lieutenants" who control a ward, city, or the suburbs. He thought Chicago had "lieutenants" in Peoria, Rockford, and Milwaukee but wasn't positive all of them were under Giancana and thought the Milwaukee one may be "very powerful" and "more than a lieutenant" (no doubt thinking of the Milwaukee Family boss). He felt there was a "family" in each state but knew there was never one in Des Moines or Iowa.

- Did not know the exact number but believed there were hundreds of members of "the Family". Not clear if he's including some of the cities he confused as being under them (i.e. Rockford, Milwaukee).

- Said members can climb the ranks in "the Family" ahead of more senior members by proving themselves.

- Said Jim Colosimo took orders from someone in NYC and had Torrio under him. Al Capone killed Colosimo and this same NYC power then backed Capone. Capone became the "Patrone" and had "capitanos" (ph) under him, including Nitti, Capezio, the Alo (ph) brothers, Paul Ricca, and Tony Accardo.

- Says Giancana wanted to step down and let Daddano take his place but certain "lieutenants" didn't trust Daddano's judgment. Due to Giancana's troubles, the informant felt Accardo, Ricca, Allegretti, and Ben Fillichio decided Giancana "must go" and Daddano and Teets Battaglia were the likely successors, with Battaglia the second choice. Felt Giancana earned respect as the boss for facing prison time without cooperating.

- Informant again said Ricca was "never appointed head of 'the Family' for reasons unknown."

- Said Chicago controls all illegal activity, including non-Italian crime. Makes no mention of non-Italians in the context of "the Family" itself except one reference to Ralph Pierce below.

- Identified Daddano and Allegretti as "lieutenants", a synonym for his term "capitano" (ph), and identified the following names:

* "Hot Dog" Lisacandrello, who will replace Allegretti as "lieutenant" when he goes to jail
* James Mirro, works for Ralph Pierce in South Side
* (Redacted), works for Daddano in Franklin Park
* Joseph Spadavecchio, works for Daddano in Melrose Park
* John Varelli, works for Daddano
* Frank and Jack Cerone, work "directly" for Accardo
* John DiBiase, works "directly" for Giancana on Chicago Ave
* Joseph Gaglliano, works for Allegretti in 42nd Ward
* Dom Galiano, works for Allegretti in 42nd Ward
* Rocco Salvatore of Grand Ave, works for newly appointed "lieutenant" who replaced the previous lieutenant that died of a heart attack months previous (neither is identified)
* Leo Manfredi, works for Daddano in Franklin Park and Melrose Park
* James Catura, works for Daddano in Franklin Park and Melrose Park
* Vincent Inserro, works for Allegretti in 42nd Ward
* Charles Nicoletti, works for Daddano in Elmhurst
* Joseph Glimco, works "directly" for Giancana
* Rocco DeStefano, a "big man" like Daddano who informant thinks might work directly for Giancana
* Ralph Capone, inactive and lives in Wisconsin

Note: "Works for" might not have been his words but the pre-1960s FBI's interpretation of what he was telling them. For example the FBI used "lieutenant" throughout the reports but it's clear when he was speaking he said "capitano" (ph). Doesn't specify if these were all members of "the Family" and given the Pierce reference he may have been referring to operations opposed to formal designations.

--- Likely close to or with the Daddano group given that's what most of his info is focused on (maybe he's the redacted name who worked for Daddano in Franklin park). Second area of knowledge seems to be Allegretti group. Makes little/no mention of other groups.

--- "Capitano" means captain in Italian but the FBI makes it clear this was simply their phonetic interpretation of what he was saying. He could well have said "capodecina" or something and that was their best pre-1960s attempt to write it down.

--- Sounds like this might have been a member circa 1958 who was cooperating. He seems to speak from the POV of the mafia organization rather than general organized crime association. Unfortunately the FBI at that time wasn't situated to properly contextualize a lot of inside info (true for every FBI office), but his references to "Amafa", "the Family", "capitanos", as well as "the Round Table" (Commission) needing to sanction official positions all make it clear what he's referring to.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Very interesting stuff. I’m sure others will have plenty to say here.

“Amafa” I read as ‘a mafia (the mafia). It’s possible that “outfit” didn’t become the conventionalized or preferred term for LCN until the 60s, as CIs from that decade note “outfit” along with other terms like the life, the family, the people, one of their own. This account fits with that of Gianola, who stated that the organization was called mafia before it was called outfit.

“Capitano” could be capodecina, or it could be that they were using the Italian word for captain as a reference to capodecina. We know from Nick C later that Chicago used capo and captain synonymously.

Clearly this guy wasn’t part of the Northside crew if he thought that Allegretti was a captain and doesn’t mention Prio. Always open to reinterpreting things with new evidence but no way was Allegretti a captain over that crew.

He places DiBiase with the Taylor St group, which makes sense given that later info places him with Battaglia.

Jimmy Catuara remains a man of mystery. Along with CIs placing him with both Chicago Heights and Chinatown, now we have a CI putting him under Daddono. Never seen any references to Catuara working the Western Burbs. But Catuara was “the owl”, and owls are mysterious.

The “Alo bros” are obviously the Fischettis. This conflation with Alo makes sense given that they were close to Alo in Fl.

The stuff about Ricca is interesting, but I obviously don’t buy that Ricca was never official. For most of the decade preceding 1958, this was true, in that Accardo was official rappresentante. Maybe this guy had only been active during that period and assumed that this arrangement (as he saw it) was also true of the preceding decades.

This guy does suggest that Daddono was a powerful capo, and potentially in line to replace Giancana. There was another CI from the 60s who IIRC said basically the same (could’ve been the same CI later, not sure). Of course, if this guy was affiliated with the Daddono crew he also may have just seen his “boss” as one of the top dudes.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I've seen a file that mentioned Ricca attended a Commission meeting in the 40s. Was that lineup photo of he and Lucky from a Commission meeting?