Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by Antiliar »

Are you sure that's the right Joseph LaBarbera? Every article in the Tribune that mentions him that gives an age has him as born in 1910.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I think Sylvester Battaglia's father was Filippo but not positive. Mariano "Happy" Longo was another guy with the Utica crew from Termini -- he was killed by Rosario Mancuso in 1957 and hasn't been ID'd as a member.

Francesco Longo (no known relation) from San Giuseppe Jato moved from Utica area to Rockford, so there were multiple Utica->Illinois ties.

The brother Joe Aiello lived with in Utica was Andrea Aiello, same name as the Sicilian drug trafficker in Buffalo in the 1980s. The zip was probably from Bagheria like the famous Aiellos as his heroin partner was NYC zip Filippo Ragusa from Bagheria, father of Paul who was caught up in Project Otremens.

Doubtful the 1980s guy was related to the early ones but might be a sign there was a long-term Bagheria mafia connection to Buffalo. I've wondered if Joe Aiello's ties to WNY played any role with Magaddino being one of his main supporters against Masseria.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:32 am I think Sylvester Battaglia's father was Filippo but not positive. Mariano "Happy" Longo was another guy with the Utica crew from Termini -- he was killed by Rosario Mancuso in 1957 and hasn't been ID'd as a member.

Francesco Longo (no known relation) from San Giuseppe Jato moved from Utica area to Rockford, so there were multiple Utica->Illinois ties.

The brother Joe Aiello lived with in Utica was Andrea Aiello, same name as the Sicilian drug trafficker in Buffalo in the 1980s. The zip was probably from Bagheria like the famous Aiellos as his heroin partner was NYC zip Filippo Ragusa from Bagheria, father of Paul who was caught during Project Otremens. Doubtful the 1980s guy was related to the early ones but might be a sign there was a long-term Bagheria mafia connection to Buffalo.
I have a Salvatore Battaglia born 11/1908 to Salvatore Battaglia and Giuseppa Scaletta. It's been a while since I actually looked into Teets' genealogy, though. From what I had, this matched the Salvatore Battaglia who died in 1973.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:31 am Are you sure that's the right Joseph LaBarbera? Every article in the Tribune that mentions him that gives an age has him as born in 1910.
I'm not 100% on him. The info that I had for him was that he was born in 1912 and died in 1983. That may have come from Bill Feather stuff (don't recall now). As you know, those Tribune years aren't always correct or are off by a couple of years. Did the FBI ever document LaBarbera's DOB in a file?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh I was talking about the Albany guy Sylvester -- I think his father was Filippo Battaglia. Sylvester's true name might be Salvatore not Silvestro, as can't find any matches for Silvestro Battaglia and there's a possible match with a Salvatore Battaglia son of Filippo who lived in the Albany area. A Filippo Battaglia born in Termini to a father named Salvatore might be the right one, with Salvatore "Sylvester" named for him.

As you already know I'm sure, Sicilians didn't name their kids after themselves so Sam Battaglia sharing his name with his father might be because his grandfather was named Salvatore. Can't follow the tree further but would be interesting if both Sam and Sylvester had a grandfather named Salvatore Battaglia in Termini.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:50 am Oh I was talking about the Albany guy Sylvester -- I think his father was Filippo Battaglia. Sylvester's true name might be Salvatore not Silvestro, as can't find any matches for Silvestro Battaglia and there's a possible match with a Salvatore Battaglia son of Filippo who lived in the Albany area. A Filippo Battaglia born in Termini to a father named Salvatore might be the right one, with Salvatore "Sylvester" named for him.

As you already know I'm sure, Sicilians didn't name their kids after themselves so Sam Battaglia sharing his name with his father might be because his grandfather was named Salvatore. Can't follow the tree further but would be interesting if both Sam and Sylvester had a grandfather named Salvatore Battaglia in Termini.
My mistake, I saw "Sylvester" and read Salvatore. I'll look into it. Was Gus Battaglia Agostino?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:38 am
Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:31 am Are you sure that's the right Joseph LaBarbera? Every article in the Tribune that mentions him that gives an age has him as born in 1910.
I'm not 100% on him. The info that I had for him was that he was born in 1912 and died in 1983. That may have come from Bill Feather stuff (don't recall now). As you know, those Tribune years aren't always correct or are off by a couple of years. Did the FBI ever document LaBarbera's DOB in a file?
They didn't have his dates in any file I have nor in the ones in Mary Ferrell. I found articles ranging from 1948 to the early 60s that all indicated 1910.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:53 am
B. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:50 am Oh I was talking about the Albany guy Sylvester -- I think his father was Filippo Battaglia. Sylvester's true name might be Salvatore not Silvestro, as can't find any matches for Silvestro Battaglia and there's a possible match with a Salvatore Battaglia son of Filippo who lived in the Albany area. A Filippo Battaglia born in Termini to a father named Salvatore might be the right one, with Salvatore "Sylvester" named for him.

My mistake, I saw "Sylvester" and read Salvatore. I'll look into it. Was Gus Battaglia Agostino?
Probably -- he used Augustus and was born in 1899. Bonanno said he met JFK at a reception held at Gus Battaglia's ranch in Arizona.

This photo shows Gus Battaglia (far left) with JFK at a 1958 event in Tucson, maybe the same one where Bonanno met him. The article says JFK personally signed the photo "To Gus".

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:01 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:38 am
They didn't have his dates in any file I have nor in the ones in Mary Ferrell. I found articles ranging from 1948 to the early 60s that all indicated 1910.
You're correct that the articles are consistent in giving an age corresponding to 1910. I'm not able to find any solid info on what happened to LaBarbera after the early 1960s, which is why I thought it was plausible that he returned to Buffalo. Obviously, if we had a confirmed date of death for him it would help to clear this up. Any other info that you have that might help?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:10 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:53 am

Probably -- he used Augustus and was born in 1899. Bonanno said he met JFK at a reception held at Gus Battaglia's ranch in Arizona.

This photo shows Gus Battaglia (far left) with JFK at a 1958 event in Tucson, maybe the same one where Bonanno met him. The article says JFK personally signed the photo "To Gus".

Nice, lol.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Aiello, Joseph A. AKA “Little Joe” (Nov 8, 1901, Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily-Aug 14, 1979, Chicago, IL) (1924: 2948 W. Harrison St, Chicago; 1942: 2848 N. Melvina Ave., Chicago, IL; 1962: 632 N. Hamlin Ave., Chicago, IL); Father: Orazio Aiello; Wife: Frances. Business Agent for Local 1.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:02 am Aiello, Joseph A. AKA “Little Joe” (Nov 8, 1901, Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily-Aug 14, 1979, Chicago, IL) (1924: 2948 W. Harrison St, Chicago; 1942: 2848 N. Melvina Ave., Chicago, IL; 1962: 632 N. Hamlin Ave., Chicago, IL); Father: Orazio Aiello; Wife: Frances. Business Agent for Local 1.
Ha! Very nice. Thanks for following up. I thought that this Joe Aiello might've been the better match, as the other one was born in March of 1901 but then died in Madison. Now, I had the March Joe Aiello's father as Orazio Aiello. Either I made a mistake there, or both of them had fathers named Orazio (with these Aiellos, it wouldn't surprise me). I recall that there's one FBI file that lists "Little Joe" as a member (?), but otherwise I've never seen him mentioned. Wouldn't surprise me if there were several more like him whose affiliation never came to light.

A question I still have is whether the March Joe Aiello was the same "Pizza Joe" Aiello who was a member of the Madison family. Seems like a possibility, given that he moved there at some point around the 1940s (IIRC) and seems to have stayed there until he died. I don't know enough about the Madison Joe Aiello to really say, though.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ex-Chicago Milwaukee captain Michele Mineo was from Bagheria too. Source believed he was first made in Sicily. First lived in Milwaukee then was apparently recruited to Chicago by Joe Aiello or someone close to him. Claimed to be back in Milwaukee by 1927 so may not have fled after Aiello's death.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:22 am Ex-Chicago Milwaukee captain Michele Mineo was from Bagheria too. Source believed he was first made in Sicily. First lived in Milwaukee then was apparently recruited to Chicago by Joe Aiello or someone close to him. Claimed to be back in Milwaukee by 1927 so may not have fled after Aiello's death.
There were also many intermarriages between Aiellos and Mineos when I was looking into the Aiellos.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:13 am
Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:02 am Aiello, Joseph A. AKA “Little Joe” (Nov 8, 1901, Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily-Aug 14, 1979, Chicago, IL) (1924: 2948 W. Harrison St, Chicago; 1942: 2848 N. Melvina Ave., Chicago, IL; 1962: 632 N. Hamlin Ave., Chicago, IL); Father: Orazio Aiello; Wife: Frances. Business Agent for Local 1.
Ha! Very nice. Thanks for following up. I thought that this Joe Aiello might've been the better match, as the other one was born in March of 1901 but then died in Madison. Now, I had the March Joe Aiello's father as Orazio Aiello. Either I made a mistake there, or both of them had fathers named Orazio (with these Aiellos, it wouldn't surprise me). I recall that there's one FBI file that lists "Little Joe" as a member (?), but otherwise I've never seen him mentioned. Wouldn't surprise me if there were several more like him whose affiliation never came to light.

A question I still have is whether the March Joe Aiello was the same "Pizza Joe" Aiello who was a member of the Madison family. Seems like a possibility, given that he moved there at some point around the 1940s (IIRC) and seems to have stayed there until he died. I don't know enough about the Madison Joe Aiello to really say, though.
An FBI file that I have helped. I don't look through them like I should because they're so tedious. I'll probably upload it here tomorrow.