Trial of Dominico Scarfo

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

OcSleeper
Full Patched

Re: Trial of Dominico Scarfo

Post by OcSleeper »

Montreal Mafia murder trial put on pause following translation issues
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... ion-issues

The accused at the heart of a trap aimed at making him speak
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... parler.php
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

“My brother wanted to kill everyone”
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... -monde.php
PogueMahone
Straightened out

Post by PogueMahone »

OcSleeper wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:29 pm “My brother wanted to kill everyone”
Interesting that Andrew Scoppa was caught on tape saying that Vitorio Mirarchi wanted to be left alone and make peace everyone. Meanwhile, we heard not to long ago from the hitman who turned informant that Mirarchi planned to use Scoppas to kill the Sicilians and then betray them.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

'We showed your brother a lot of loyalty,' accused told Mafia leader Scoppa
Andrea (Andrew) Scoppa said he had nothing to do with the war his brother Salvatore had waged, in a recording made by an informant four months after Salvatore's death in 2019.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/we-sho ... der-scoppa
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

I just caught up with all this. Thanks a ton.

To clarify from my side of things, neither Scoppa nor Miriachi nor Scarfo (which should be Scarfò) are ndrangheta no matter what they say. That there is a Calabrian faction in montreal doesn’t mean there is ndrangheta. The feud that happened in the ndrangheta between figliomeni and coluccio which confirmed that siderno rules, did exactly that, reaffirm that the crimine in Canada is Siderno based

As for the Bonavota - even if the locale was apparently “approved” in 2012 it is surely not the important thing. The Bonavotas as a Ndrina have existed for decades and they have kind of always been around in the Vibo area a bit later than the Mancuso and often in feud. Since the 80s. They were not such a big deal, always been very local, with some projection in the area around Torino and “basic” organised crime stuff. They have family in Canada, in GTA and therefore they have attempted to connect (drug wise) with the locals. They are called ndrangheta but they never really were, the fact that the locale was formed in 2012 is important because in that period the new “crimine” of Vibo under Luigi Mancuso just out of jail was trying to reform and become “orderly”. They have been working with the Alvaro, the Ursino, the Commisso and the Morabito. So they are well connected with those who are in Canada.

I know that Calabrian from Vibo (could be Bonavota but I am not sure.. I am still researching) were involved with the Caputo brothers at some stage and with Commisso for drugs. Also close to Iavarone at some point. So they could be the Bonavota. In any case I wouldn’t think they are such a big change for GTA, GTA ndrangheta wise is Siderno and Commisso. But more importantly, this has not much to do with Montreal.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

calabrianwatch wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:27 am I just caught up with all this. Thanks a ton.

To clarify from my side of things, neither Scoppa nor Miriachi nor Scarfo (which should be Scarfò) are ndrangheta no matter what they say. That there is a Calabrian faction in montreal doesn’t mean there is ndrangheta. The feud that happened in the ndrangheta between figliomeni and coluccio which confirmed that siderno rules, did exactly that, reaffirm that the crimine in Canada is Siderno based

As for the Bonavota - even if the locale was apparently “approved” in 2012 it is surely not the important thing. The Bonavotas as a Ndrina have existed for decades and they have kind of always been around in the Vibo area a bit later than the Mancuso and often in feud. Since the 80s. They were not such a big deal, always been very local, with some projection in the area around Torino and “basic” organised crime stuff. They have family in Canada, in GTA and therefore they have attempted to connect (drug wise) with the locals. They are called ndrangheta but they never really were, the fact that the locale was formed in 2012 is important because in that period the new “crimine” of Vibo under Luigi Mancuso just out of jail was trying to reform and become “orderly”. They have been working with the Alvaro, the Ursino, the Commisso and the Morabito. So they are well connected with those who are in Canada.

I know that Calabrian from Vibo (could be Bonavota but I am not sure.. I am still researching) were involved with the Caputo brothers at some stage and with Commisso for drugs. Also close to Iavarone at some point. So they could be the Bonavota. In any case I wouldn’t think they are such a big change for GTA, GTA ndrangheta wise is Siderno and Commisso. But more importantly, this has not much to do with Montreal.
On the Scoppas, I agree. I doubt them to be Ndrangheta. Miriarchi, why CANT he be Ndrangheta? Exactly? Is it some of the reasons I posted? Like if so, what locale?

Bonavonta .... They were said to be very close to the Pelle clan. The cradle of Ndrangheta. I think they havent been accepted sooner because the Mancusos would never allow them their own locale. I think San Luca authorized them. And I've posted several times on the Piscopisani clan, how the Bonvonta, Commisso, and Aquino families ratified the locale, seemingly in opposition TO a Mancuso Crimine for Vibo.

But you say they arnt REALLY Ndrangheta? What do you mean exactly?

Also bro.... you kinda contradict yourself a little. How can they have always had an ndrine around Vibo, but NOT be Ndrangheta?

It's been said what they lack in resources and wealth, they make up in respect.

I'm curious as to your take on the Piscopisani. They seem like violent drug dealers, unsophisticated. Yet the Aquino, Commisso and Bonavonta backed them over the Mancusos, a massive and powerful, Masonic/cosa nostra connected family.

What makes the Piscopisani REAL Ndrangheta, and the Bonavonta........ fakers?
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:22 am
calabrianwatch wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:27 am I just caught up with all this. Thanks a ton.

On the Scoppas, I agree. I doubt them to be Ndrangheta. Miriarchi, why CANT he be Ndrangheta? Exactly? Is it some of the reasons I posted? Like if so, what locale?

Bonavonta .... They were said to be very close to the Pelle clan. The cradle of Ndrangheta. I think they havent been accepted sooner because the Mancusos would never allow them their own locale. I think San Luca authorized them. And I've posted several times on the Piscopisani clan, how the Bonvonta, Commisso, and Aquino families ratified the locale, seemingly in opposition TO a Mancuso Crimine for Vibo.

But you say they arnt REALLY Ndrangheta? What do you mean exactly?

Also bro.... you kinda contradict yourself a little. How can they have always had an ndrine around Vibo, but NOT be Ndrangheta?

It's been said what they lack in resources and wealth, they make up in respect.

I'm curious as to your take on the Piscopisani. They seem like violent drug dealers, unsophisticated. Yet the Aquino, Commisso and Bonavonta backed them over the Mancusos, a massive and powerful, Masonic/cosa nostra connected family.

What makes the Piscopisani REAL Ndrangheta, and the Bonavonta........ fakers?
My take on Miriachi is that he is just on the Calabrian faction but not ndrangheta.
The Bonavota were close to many, but their approval happened at different stages…San Luca, approved their “work” in the 1980s with the patriarch of the family linked to Polsi… but then they their work was not that great they were poor etc etc so they kept proving themselves…because this is what happens to families out of Reggio.

And there are plenty of clans ndrina-like that are not ndrangheta in Calabria, not organised within the Reggio ndrangheta at all, with different “structures”, clan based criminality. The real organisation ndrangheta is the one in Reggio province. The other provinces are at different stages, more or less “imitating and then entering” the ndrangheta of Reggio by connection. Like in Crotone, where the local provincia was not “under” Reggio but considered next to Reggio.
In the Vibo areas each family tries to organise in the same way of a ndrina - not that difficult - , the rest depends on time and space, families are allowed in, like the Mancuso, depending on role and credibility and more importantly connections. The whole of the history with Vibo is about these types of groups and the whole point of Mancuso (Luigi) was to change that - to do what Grande Aracri had done in Crotone. things that he managed to do a certain extent precisely because he was one of the first allied to the reggio ruling (Luigi Mancuso I mean). This is what I mean by the Bonavota not really being ndrangheta until they got attached to Polsi (with connections already in the 80s according to many), but they were just the local mafia family who started a feud for power and tried to reign through violence like others did around 2002-2004 when Luigi was in jail and the Mancuso family was fighting from the inside. And then came the drugs, and the connections with the Sicilians, and then the connections with the Marando in piemonte and they got richer…also they were brought up by their “friends” Ursini and for drugs. Which is also why when the Bonavota had a funeral in GTA members of these families there went and paid respect…… The Bonavota by the way have a Buon Ordine in sant’onofrio not a locale which is also recognised by polsi but it means there is no locale there just ndrine. Plus, according to various pentiti they were recognised by the crimine of cutro/Crotone, meaning grandi aracri even if their connections to polsi are known and are more dated. This means that probably they had more recognitions!

The Piscopisani were recognsied also thanks to commisso and via commisso by Polsi, but the moment Mancuso came out in 2012 it was quite obvious that if things were to remain non belligerent they were going to go with letting him rule. Indeed, even if the Bonavota had the Mancuso against, it was not the whole of the Mancuso they were against. They were not opposed to Luigi, no one was opposed to Luigi. So this is why I think that the 2012 is not irrelevant.

The piscopisani to me are similar to the Bonavota in terms of their “reach”, drugs and local respect, violence and some connections to the north, same difficult relationship with Mancuso and therefore trying to maintain connections to the Reggio ndrangheta via others, I.e. commisso and the San Luca people, which, however after Luigi came out all changed…because Luigi was going to become the referent for Reggio in the Vibo province and many agreed…however, the piscopisani made a locale, which means that their organisational features are “better”

Sorry I was in a rush I hope I made some sense!

See t these if you haven’t already - https://www.ilvibonese.it/cronaca/12818 ... ito-arena/ and this https://www.lacnews24.it/cronaca/la-pio ... ia_129837/
And this https://www.ilvibonese.it/cronaca/66767 ... -bonavota/
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

You Calabrese make my fucking head spin with all this. Everytime I read a post I feel like I know less
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Great post and super informative, thanks!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Glad you're on here CW. Major asset to the board. I'm with Scootch, it's like trying to learn a foreign language but so far I've only learned the word for "dog" or something.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

PogueMahone wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:46 pm
Interesting that Andrew Scoppa was caught on tape saying that Vitorio Mirarchi wanted to be left alone and make peace everyone. Meanwhile, we heard not to long ago from the hitman who turned informant that Mirarchi planned to use Scoppas to kill the Sicilians and then betray them.
Very interesting indeed. It's possible that the informant who originally said Mirarchi wanted war was lower on the totem pole and was making an educated guess. But then, Scoppa himself had a different view since he was much higher up in the organization.

Or, it's possible Mirarchi told Andrew Scoppa he just wanted to be left alone, but was secretly plotting behind his back to have the Scoppa brothers taken out.

Also, it seems like perhaps the only reason Andrew was killed was because of his brother's war.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Montreal Mafia murder trial: Accused was warned his life was in danger
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... -in-danger
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

My take on Miriachi is that he is just on the Calabrian faction but not ndrangheta.
I pretty much agree, but it was said that he MARRIED into it, vs being BORN into it. Until we find out if his wife's family is Ndrangheta, I tend to leave the door open here...
The Bonavota were close to many, but their approval happened at different stages…San Luca, approved their “work” in the 1980s with the patriarch of the family linked to Polsi… but then they their work was not that great they were poor etc etc so they kept proving themselves…because this is what happens to families out of Reggio.

Their work? Like muscle? They kept botching hits or something? Or like, mishandling extortions? What exactly were you referring to here?
And there are plenty of clans ndrina-like that are not ndrangheta in Calabria, not organised within the Reggio ndrangheta at all, with different “structures”, clan based criminality.
This is why I see more similarities than differences between the mafias. Naples is similar. Andrew Machins articles state Verduci had non Italians in his......Ndrine? Was it a real Ndrine? Or rather Locale?

This is what I mean by the Bonavota not really being ndrangheta until they got attached to Polsi (with connections already in the 80s according to many)
I'm not really understanding what you mean here. If San Luca, the Pelle, Commisso, Crotone, Aquino, all these clans recognized the Bonavonta, 40 YEARS AGO, how are they not REAL Ndrangheta?

Why would the Piscopisani be real and not the Bonavontas? Or say, the Benevento based group founded by Raffaelle Valente and Tamburrino, with sponsorship from the Ursinos, that partnered with the Gambinos in NY. Would THAT group be considered real Ndrangheta? I ask because they seem just like the Piscopisani. Violent drug traffickers. Also, the Bonavonta was one of the clans that legitimized the Piscopisani. They cant really do that if they arnt recognized or dont count, right?

Also, Australia, Toronto, Lombardy, Germany, are you saying these are all extensions of Reggio?

Which is also why when the Bonavota had a funeral in GTA members of these families there went and paid respect…… The Bonavota by the way have a Buon Ordine in sant’onofrio not a locale which is also recognised by polsi but it means there is no locale there just ndrine. Plus, according to various pentiti they were recognised by the crimine of cutro/Crotone, meaning grandi aracri even if their connections to polsi are known and are more dated. This means that probably they had more recognitions!
It's been said that they are running video gambling in Ontario with the Ursinos. With the Ursinos taking a bit of a fall, is it possible the Bonavontas are filling space left by them? A morsel to chew on.....

Is a Buon Ordine some kind of special Ndrine? Never seen the term before..... the locale is said to be in Ontario. I'm thinking along the same lines as the Figliomeni ndrine, whereas in the present day the Toronto people are arguably more powerful than the Calabrian based family members. It could be the same for the Bonavonta, as maybe thats where their big operations are now.

The Piscopisani were recognsied also thanks to commisso and via commisso by Polsi, but the moment Mancuso came out in 2012 it was quite obvious that if things were to remain non belligerent they were going to go with letting him rule. Indeed, even if the Bonavota had the Mancuso against, it was not the whole of the Mancuso they were against. They were not opposed to Luigi, no one was opposed to Luigi. So this is why I think that the 2012 is not irrelevant.
It's why I thought this so fascinating, as well as your post. See to my eyes, these powerful clans, in fact, DID BACK the " fake" Ndrangheta clan. Like.... if the Bonvontas are not really Ndrangheta, then the Piscopisani are even " faker". Versus the real deal, the Mancusos, and of course they eventually backed Luigi, hes the power. The Bonavontas are still building and consolidating strength it seems.

The piscopisani to me are similar to the Bonavota in terms of their “reach”, drugs and local respect,
Add in local extortion, and you've pretty much summed up most of Italy's crime clans...

violence and some connections to the north, same difficult relationship with Mancuso and therefore trying to maintain connections to the Reggio ndrangheta via others, I.e. commisso and the San Luca people, which, however after Luigi came out all changed…because Luigi was going to become the referent for Reggio in the Vibo province and many agreed…
however, the piscopisani made a locale, which means that their organisational features are “better”
How so... exactly? Why is the Piscopisani locale..."better" than the Toronto locale of the Bonavonta?
Sorry I was in a rush I hope I made some sense!
Nah, it was all great. I pretty much followed all of it...

You have a take on the Anello clan? Or how about the Mole- Piromalli split. The boss running the Mole clan is another Gennarro... a 26 year old kid.....

See t these if you haven’t already - https://www.ilvibonese.it/cronaca/12818 ... ito-arena/ and this https://www.lacnews24.it/cronaca/la-pio ... ia_129837/
And this https://www.ilvibonese.it/cronaca/66767 ... -bonavota/
[/quote]
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

What do you know about the 'Ndrangheta branches in Messina mentioned by Gaetano Costa? Are they sanctioned or just emulating nearby Reggio? This is all brand new to me.

There are also other groups in Messina who aren't recognized by Cosa Nostra but authorities said they have adopted the structure/practices of Palermo. Then there was the Stidda on the southern part of the island doing something similar.

Amazing how Italy has its "official" mafia brands but then these bootleg "knock-off" versions all over as well.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:19 am What do you know about the 'Ndrangheta branches in Messina mentioned by Gaetano Costa? Are they sanctioned or just emulating nearby Reggio? This is all brand new to me.

There are also other groups in Messina who aren't recognized by Cosa Nostra but authorities said they have adopted the structure/practices of Palermo. Then there was the Stidda on the southern part of the island doing something similar.

Amazing how Italy has its "official" mafia brands but then these bootleg "knock-off" versions all over as well.
They have an actual term for bastard locales... I'm sure Calabrianwatch knows it....